First Timer!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably walk in circles a few times before blundering in.

Usually works with new places.

I doubt it will be too tricky though. :D

One question. When it says your Virtual ticket numbers are called... are they put up on a board at the signing area or something?

Just wanted to check this.

Thanks in advance.

:thumbup:

Edited by Kirayuki

One question. When it says your Virtual ticket numbers are called... are they put up on a board at the signing area or something?

Just wanted to check this.

Thanks in advance.

:thumbup:

Usually there's whiteboards throughout the venue where the numbers are put up. There's also smaller boards at the signing area, at the end of each queue.

To all true first timers out there,

Here are one or two things to expect when you get to LFCC this year, they might not all happen but don't be put off if they do.

Be prepared for some serious waiting. Depending on when you arrive and how popular the guests you want to meet are, you could wait some time. You could arrive within an hour of the doors opening, go straight to get your tickets, look at your numbers and find that you will be waiting until the afternoon before you will see you prime picks. Don't be too concerned about this, it happens every time. There are always plenty of other things going on to keep you interested, even if it is just watching (or having photos taken with) some dedicated folks going by in their fanastically well made costumes.

Set your autograph 'get-list' in priority order so you get your ultra-prime-pick's queue ticket first and foremost...ensure that you will see your top favourite before you do anything else. Any time you spend in their queue means that you will be that much further down the line for your second prime pick but at least you will be assured a meeting with your top person.

Be prepared to take a break every now and then. Have a drink and maybe a quick snack. You may think that this is a daft suggestion but you WILL BE expending a great amount of nervous energy, it does get very exciting at these great events, so keep you body stocked up with fuel. This will also give the chance to take stock of your situation and refresh your thoughts about what's next.

You will find that this will happen to you at some point...You will have been waiting patiently for your top pick to work their way through the numbers, you have kept yourself entertained with other things, you then may find that you number is just about to come up for your personal and much desired autograph, you get your photo,book,comic,action figure ready for the happening....and the queue closes for 90 minutes!!!

Don't forget, first and foremost, thought they are famous people, they are still people. Just think of their side of things, they are happy to meet fans but after two or three hours of "yes thank you, (hand shake) thank you very much, how do you spell that? Thank you, (hand shake) yes I will come back, thanks, sorry..how did you spell that? Thank you (hand shake)" Even the most thoroughly professional trouper will need a break, to have a drink, to get some blood back into the writing hand, to use the facilities, to eat lunch.

And finally.....

There will be times when you feel bored, there will be times when you wished you'd never attended, there will be times when you want to go home and just not bother with anyone else, there will be times when you ask yourself 'why am I paying good money for all this hassle?'

And then you will get home, you will upload your pictures to your computer, you will slot your autographs into your 'autographed-photos' folders, you will watch something on TV or from a DVD with that person in it. It is amazing just how much of a difference it makes to watch a film or TV show with a cast mamber that you have met personally and interacted with, you enjoy it so much more. So, you will enjoy it at the time but you will enjoy it fully and completely only after the actual event.

Hope this helps.

That's when you will really enjoy it - after the event.

Edited by SlippDigby

• Moderators

And believe me you don't want the large man shouting at you, he can reduce you to tears with a mere glance ;)

I'm not that bad :D

As much as I'd like to disagree, it's true .. don't be scared of him :D

And believe me you don't want the large man shouting at you, he can reduce you to tears with a mere glance ;)

As much as I'd like to disagree, it's true .. don't be scared of him :D

It's true, TT is an extremely friendly, helpful guy. But he is very intimidating (purely in size) when you're only 5'2

:D

Edited by theblackrose

To all true first timers out there, Here are one or two things to expect when you get to LFCC this year

Good stuff, there. My 'top tip' for anyone who's never been to this kind of event is to try to keep your expectations in check when it comes to meeting guests. I think that most attendees have felt a bit deflated at some point - that moment where you find yourself walking away from a signing desk thinking 'um, was that it?'. Perhaps the signing felt rushed, or perhaps the guest seemed tired or uninterested (it happens - energy levels can change over the course of the day, plus some guests just don't get into the experience, for whatever reason).

Sometimes, the main guest you're there for ends up being sidelined in your enjoyment by someone else, because you found them more personable: because you had a better time during the minute or two you spent at their desk.

So, without meaning to come across as a complete fire blanket, I think that it pays to not let your imagination or excitement about meeting certain guests run away with itself: to celebrate the personal successes (whether expected or not), but to not get too down about the stuff that didn't turn out quite as you'd hoped.

And, as SlippDigby says, a big part of the enjoyment comes when you're back at home. When you're surveying your haul and recounting your experiences to wide-eyed family members, you feel like a returning adventurer. Even the disappointing bits are part of the story.

I hope that this post doesn't come across as too depressing, as it's not my intention to poop the party. I genuinely hope that everyone has a great day and gets everything that they want, plus a few nice surprises. :D

And believe me you don't want the large man shouting at you, he can reduce you to tears with a mere glance :D

I'm not that bad :P

Was it last year I recall seeing people running to get their VT's only to be reduced to a very slow walk by the mere sight of you stood in the middle of an isle waving a lightsabre around ;)

• Showmasters Admin

And believe me you don't want the large man shouting at you, he can reduce you to tears with a mere glance :D

Was it last year I recall seeing people running to get their VT's only to be reduced to a very slow walk by the mere sight of you stood in the middle of an isle waving a lightsabre around ;)

That was me :D

The lightsaber was great for extra menace and also worked as a great pointer "Yes I'm talking to you Mr. Trying to hide you're running by keeping your legs straight!" *points lightsaber at them* :P

Hey going to be my first time to attend anything like this and very excited! Was wondering can I buy early bird ticket on the day?! since I missed out buy online :smile:

Anyone else going for first time?! haha dont think its possible to be more excited than me haha!

Oh yes this is my first time to anything like this. I am nervous!

• Showmasters Admin

Nothing to be nervous about. As long as you're not on a really tight schedule you'll be fine to get everything you want.

All the crew are really cool. If you have any issues or questions at all, please do ask them. If they don't know the answer they'll be able to point you to someone that does. If you're really unlucky you'll get me :)

well I am looking to get there around 8am still need to buy a ticket, but if any first timers wanna meet up and share the new adventure together then give me a shout. From what I can see the PM function on here is not working so add me or message me on facebook www.facebook.com/peterkay or I'll see you all there on saturday. Getting really excited now haha!

• Showmasters Admin

Yes I'm afraid PMs are disabled.

We disabled them because we prefer it that we can see anything that is said. If we have PMs we can no longer moderate it and then we can have issues with people using it to sell things/advertising/spamming, and the worse one is bullying or threatening other forum members. It happens on the open forum every so often, the last thing we want is to give people the opportunity to do it where we can't see it.

At the risk of invoking the wrath of David and TT I know this has been answered elsewhere but I have trawled for 10 minutes and can't find it.

If you arrive before 11 with standard tickets and want to pay the extra to get in early is it the pay on the door queue that you join ?

Sorry for being a pain

:P

• Showmasters Admin

At the risk of invoking the wrath of David and TT I know this has been answered elsewhere but I have trawled for 10 minutes and can't find it.

If you arrive before 11 with standard tickets and want to pay the extra to get in early is it the pay on the door queue that you join ?

Sorry for being a pain

:P

Yes. Join the pay on the door queue. When you get to the ticke tbooth hand over your standard ticket and £5 and you'll be let in before 11am.