what works and what did not work

showmasters

Psychosis, I didn't see you around during the weekend despite looking out for you. Were you there all weekend?

Hi! Yeah, I was. I got there about 11 on Friday, went home around 3, was there all day Sat until 3, and all day Sun until 2. A lot of people said they didn't see me though for some reason. I must be that invisible :P

Well I hope you had a nice weekend (with the exception of the obvious negative points of the weekend). Shame I didn't get a chance to say hi.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't SM or someone official explain a while back why electronic copies of the pictures weren't sent out, sure it was something to do with the photographers copyright or something.

Besides I'm pretty sure the choice whether or not to do over the table pictures sits with the guest and not with SM. The crew member may enforce the rule as opposed to the guest doing so but thats often because the guest may feel uncomfortable saying no to a fan.

The only exception I'm aware of is when a guest gets horribly busy and SM may limit it but that is often just to ensure that everyone who has come to see a particular guest gets to do so.

• Moderators

That's the general case. We're there as guest assistants to basically enforce stuff so the guest doesn't have to. I think that's reasonable, as they're there to meet the fans and give them a good experience, not be arguing all the time!

Obviously sometimes the rule has to be changed if it gets insanely busy, but most people understand the logic behind that.

Oh dear, it's a shame so many people seem unhappy - I'm beginning to feel like a freak for going, having a good time and coming on the forum to say so (and I can moan with the best of them, lol)

What did someone else call us Pollyannas on another thread? ? 'Sycophantic bum lickers', was it? *g*

I wonder if I could have sandwich spread with that..LOL :P

Clara x

And to paraphrase something else someone wrote in response to one of my comments a couple of days ago:

Unfortunately you only have 13 posts to your name, so your opinion carries little or no value.

KIDDING.

The opinions of people with 13 posts count, but those with 12 posts don't count. :lol: Get out.

[Why should I pay £20 for a photo, one I don't even have a digital copy of?

Scan it in. Done.

Scanning will get you a good copy (depending on the quality of your scanner) but it is not exactly the same as the original copy. It is not as sharp and unless you have a dedicated colour managemnt workflow (scanner-monitor-printer) it will have a different colour cast. Had first hand expericence of this at one of the previous Midlands events when I came to collect my 'day one' photoshoot with Nicola Bryant on the second day to find that it had been left locked up securely off site. Oops :lol: . Malcolm very kindly provided me with a digital copy there and then in case I didn't receive the printed version in the post. Which, of course, I later did. One scan later and there are definite visible differences in the quality.

Didn't SM or someone official explain a while back why electronic copies of the pictures weren't sent out, sure it was something to do with the photographers copyright or something.
I do recall not so long ago someone mentioning that another event in America does give you the option of having a digital copy for a small reasonable fee. I am guessing the photographer is happy with this. Not sure if he retains the copyright or not in these circumstances. If Showmasters (and Maclolm) would consider providing a similar service then I for one would use it. Like the pre-order for Autographs it would be there if you wanted to make use of it.

Not sure the best way of working it. You could be told your exact photo number duiring the photoshoot and place your order at the show. This would slow down the actual phtoshoot process slightly. Maybe a better way would be - after the event low res versions of all photos could be uploaded onto the website, you find yours, and then place your order for delivery via CD or e-mail.

Of course, I just found it odd at the lack of any DVDs, imported or region 2. Hopefully things will improve in the future.

I really hope so (given as fair percentage of my stock comes from the US!) I doubt you'll ever see too many R2 DVDs as the dealers don't have the same purchasing power as high street stores and are always going to be more expensive.

[And to paraphrase something else someone wrote in response to one of my comments a couple of days ago:

Unfortunately you only have 13 posts to your name, so your opinion carries little or no value.

KIDDING.

Heheh.

You've got to watch us quiet ones.. we look much but say little.. it's always the quiet ones!

Now I want a little devil smilie.. ha! Found one!

:lol:

MWHAHAHAHA!! *runs off cackling clutching her poster signed by Mr LEONARD NIMOY himself, by golly*

Well flip, my devil didn't work first time! Typical! I can't even be evil successfully :WAVE:

*tweaks code*

Edited by Clara

(I've edited your comments, just to save space!) Which thread are you referring to? If it's the Troll thread, then it hasn't been deleted, just moved to the moderation part for further discussion between the SM guys/Mods.

Yer. Well, ok, effectively deleted. To be honest, I should have known better than to post in there were people were whining. But it was late. :lol:

Still you've found a better place here to air your concerns and thoughts :lol:

Don't forget, of the £20 per photo, a big chunk of it goes to the guest, who would negotiate (probably via an agent/manager) a fee per photo.

Yeah, but if I'd've gotten everything (minimum!) I'd wanted I would have spent £85! I appreciate that everyone has their little fees, but, it's a principles thing, too. Why should I pay £20 for a photo, one I don't even have a digital copy of? Especially when the guests aren't allowed to do posed photos. I'm not going to be forced into taking the photo shoot, just to get a photo of the day, especially when I'd be happy enough with an over-the-table shot.

I think I spent £85 on autos alone. Didn't get any photos with/of the guests and don't like photoshoots (mainly because I have to be IN those pics and I hate having my photo taken!) Of course it's your choice whether you pay the guest for a picture, but I agree with other posters that the decision is usually down to the guest (or their manager), rather than SM themselves. Go to any other UK event and you will generally find that it's the same for all the 'big' guests.

I can see where your comments about a factory come in (and it's an appropriate analogy), but it's a balance between attendee comfort and managing time so that as many attendees can meet the guest as wants to. Yes, you could be cynical (and I'm not suggesting you personally are) and suggest that SM want to make as much money per guest, so it's in their interest to get attendees through as quickly as possibly, but conversly if someone like Ben had spend time chatting and taking photos with everyone who wanted an autograph, then there would have been more people who went away disappointed. The fact that Ben completed his queue around 4.50 on Sunday afternoon, suggests that the decisions made were spot on.

I only really meant the factory comment in regards to photos. The crew didn't shift us along with Ben at all.

Yeah, I realise you were probably talking about the photo sessions.

But, sometimes I wonder if it's explained to the guests that not all attendees are autograph collectors? And are just fans looking for a cheaper way of meeting their heroes? :WAVE:

I'm sure they do, but then they are being employed to do a job. They may have been flown miles and put up a nice hotel, so they have to charge for things like photos, just to make them viable guests. The cheapest way of meeting your stars is to go to a film premier, where the stars are paid by whatever company is promoting the film, but then again, you have to take your chances at meeting anyone.

As for the stalls, well more and more businesses are going broke. If there are no new businesses, then you can't expect them to turn up to the event.

Cut rates for new stalls? Be picky about who gets a stall for the next event? More new businesses? I don't have the solution, but I think that is something SM could consider and discuss and organise. Apart from anything, what else do you do between waiting for guests? Browse the stalls! Would be a great opportunity for a new, inventive businessman to take advantage of. I don't know if it's the same anymore, but ages ago one stallholder was telling me about the process of getting a stall at a Collectormania, and it definitely seemed more geared towards the "regulars"...

The rate isn't that relevant, the issue is that there aren't many different dealers looking to set up. I know they are a bit picky when it comes to stalls, because they don't want a hall full of everyone selling the same stuff. Yes, the regulars get first option, but the people on teh waiting list (assuming there still is one, so many dealers have given up in the last 12 months) is full of people selling the same stuff. when you think about it, there's not much more stuff actually available to sell! I'm sure they have discussed it, but I can't think of any other way of getting more variety (and I watch the Apprentice!!) ;)

OH! like that retro videogame t-shirt guy. When he first appeared at the Centre, I was so psyched! his t-shirts were brilliant, inventive and funny. It was the first time since forever I've been hooked by a stall. Glad to see he's still coming-- but moar merch plz!

yeah, he's got a cool stall... but again, he's limited by the stock that his suppliers carry.

(I'm difficult to please ;) ).

Aren't we all! ;)

If anyone can spot where I crapped up the tags, please shout! ;):wub:

Edited by chris_mk

hi jason,

i had a good time at the event and with the whole waiting nearly 2 hours after the photos should have come back it was good till that point, the event was cold and all my concerns have been addresed in all.

my sister who bought me to the event did say that i would be getting the train next time becauce of the photo shoot pick up.

i did however get all my auto's and photo shoots done in plenty off time and i will have to take my hat off to the phtoghragher cos he and she were great and i think they were happy to go home after the saturday was over i know i was and i was a fan there.

i did say that i will only goto showmasters fairs cos they are the best and still are everyday is different and the mk sight is the only free one there is ( why is that ?) i think more people would tern up if they were free or cheeper may be you can look in to that i would rather pay a liittle bit more for lets say autos and get in free but i like the early bird time cos no one is there and you can get your autos quicker but if it was free then people could get in and not wait. something to concider.

well i will stop beefing as my wife calls it (moaning) and say that my auto collection is growing and i'm loving it .... keep up the good work..

martin :D

• Moderators

MK was always free because it was in the shopping centre, so you can't charge for entry there. So with the move to the stadium, it made sense to keep entry free to entice people into still coming.

Free entry wouldn't really be viable when hiring out the venues for other events.

By and large I enjoyed the event.

The cancellations on Saturday of Naoko and Darren Campbell meant it was largely a wasted journey for me and I could have saved the hotel bill and just done Sunday but otherwise it was as good as could be expected in the circumstances.

Just out of interest, do you use Twitter? I don't think there was any announcement made on the subject of those cancellations, but would you have found it useful to find out about the last minute cancellations?

No, I don't use Twitter at the moment and it wouldn't have been much use to me finding out about the last minute cancellations. The hotel was booked and paid for and certainly in the case of Naoko it was not known until well into the day that she wouldn't be turning up. I'm not blaming anyone ofr the cancellations I was just saying that they did put a bit of a dampener on Satuday for me. Sunday, however I enjoyed a great deal.

Well I must be very easily pleased because I had a brilliant time and don't have any complaints. Yes, the venue was cold but it's a stadium - they're built of concrete and metal and they're not meant to be sun traps.

I got everything I came for and had a great time. Prices are pretty standard as far as I can see, and there is this wacky idea called 'saving', it means that if you know you want £100 worth of photos and autographs you put a little away each month.

My main concerns;

1 - The icy wind blowing through the stadium which seemed to get worse day by day. I don't agree that it's Mother Nature's fault - the venue was chosen knowing it was partially open-air. In a situation like that, you can't gamble that it will be ok purely because it's in the Summer months. It's no different from staging it in a car park in tents, hoping the weather will be ok. The fact that Sunday afternoon was nice and warm outdoors, but still seemed to have a cool breeze indoors, seems to show that there was a problem.

2 - The 3 hour + delay in getting photos back from the photo sessions. Which leads onto...

3 - Lack of information. The information desk had the same (or less) information than I already knew. I don't blame the helpful folk behind the desk, but they should have been given more updates throughout the day. The photo pick-up is a perfect example, with it's location moving twice without anyone really knowing what was happening. Nicholas Parsons vanishing just as I was going to meet him. What was that about? Alice Krige turning up on Friday?

4 - The free buses. More thought should have been given to these schedules. On Sunday I didn't need to be there early, but had a Burn Gorman photo at 10:20am. The 2nd bus of the day would be too late, so I had to get the busy 1st bus. From the Centre MK. Surely more buses could have been laid on for the mall, since most people are likely to go for the bus at it's point of origin to ensure a seat, meaning people at the mall are lucky to get a seat? Also, returning from the stadium was an issue with so many people waiting for the bus. I left early on Sunday just so I wouldn't miss out on the bus.

The praise;

1 - The photos the guests had were very good quality.

2 - The bus not keeping strictly to the schedule when taking people back, meaning we were not kept waiting 30 mins at the train station, or longer at the stadium.

3 - The photographers were great as always.

4 - The guests were lovely, and the crew members always did their best to help. (The only downside being JCB grabbing my arm while directing the Rachel Luttrell photo session - rude behaviour no matter who you are!)

I do recall not so long ago someone mentioning that another event in America does give you the option of having a digital copy for a small reasonable fee. I am guessing the photographer is happy with this.

At the event I know of the photographer does actually send out the files by e-mail (or burns them on CD at the show) himself. He gets to keep the money.

Just a couple of ideas etc.........

Did I read somewhere on here about a large video screen? If so, how about also using it as an information board (such as "Ben Browder signing tks 75-100" or "Leonard Nimoy photos available to collect" or even "Fred Jones to Information Desk")? Also, I agree with tannoy announcements - that would have been a good idea.

Better communication between areas of the event - I managed to get my Ben photo Sun afternoon too late for him to sign it (after walking to the opposite side of the concourse). No-one could be sure if Ben was in the green room or had left for the day. Walkie-talkies?

Certainly something to do if you are waiting for a while such as suggested on other posts - games area (not my thing), DVD/video area, TV room?

And, yes, bigger & better signage outside and inside along with better signage at the bus stops and on the bus (it wasn't apparent you were getting on a bus for Collectormania).

Yeah, but if I'd've gotten everything (minimum!) I'd wanted I would have spent £85! I appreciate that everyone has their little fees, but, it's a principles thing, too. Why should I pay £20 for a photo, one I don't even have a digital copy of? Especially when the guests aren't allowed to do posed photos. I'm not going to be forced into taking the photo shoot, just to get a photo of the day, especially when I'd be happy enough with an over-the-table shot.

Then don't get one. You can't have everything you want. You want a way to meet your heroes, but you want a way to get free photos too. If they offered free photos then they'd have to spend less time actually speaking to you and acknowledging your existence.

Either get a photoshoot or don't but to expect such a busy guest to do posed photos is IMO unreasonable. Not only the time aspect, but imagine when they have to move in their seat, get up, sit down, get up, sit down, get up, sit down, for in Ben's case, what, 500+? Leonard's 1000+? In the course of a few hours. That's actually physically draining work. I know when I've been a guest assistant for a less busy guest and I keep getting up to take the photos, I don't mind doing it because I like making people happy, but by the end of the day I'm exhausted! And that's a max of maybe 100 photos or less.

I want a photo with the guests so I pay for it. It's really that simple. Yes, I agree, I'd like a digital copy, but hey ho.

I'm used to *not* having the option of over the counter photos (for understandable reasons) with all the other events I've been to (this weekend was my first showmasters event), so the fact that I got that with some of the guests was a big bonus for me. Actually I'm used to there being a complete camera ban when obtaining autographs (for understandable reasons), so from my point of view I don't understand the photo complaint, especially with this being a free entry event (which none of the other events I've been to have been).

The autograph/photo prices were higher than I'm used to, but if I calculate what I usually spend to get entry to an event I ended up spending about the same on photos/autographs with the 6 guests I went for that I would had this been the kind of event I usually go to.

I do recall not so long ago someone mentioning that another event in America does give you the option of having a digital copy for a small reasonable fee. I am guessing the photographer is happy with this.

At the event I know of the photographer does actually send out the files by e-mail (or burns them on CD at the show) himself. He gets to keep the money.

Wonder if Malcolm and the other photographer (sorry - I don't know her name!) would be interested in doing something similar. Not sure if they would have time to burn CD's at the event due to how busy they are taking photos (I am guessing the other photographer either has less photos to deal with or has some help). Thinking about it they are probably busy working during the week as well so depending on how many would want digital copies it may not be feasible without extra help.

Hopefully it will happen at some point. Would be great if it did!

Not having a go but just a thought, I queued SAT- outside gate No3, the queue for spock, which was quite big, the doors opened at 9am, the queue moved v fast, to my suprise, once i reached the door, the queue dispersed into several quickly moving lines, all moving towards another queue forming by the signing booth. People who were behind me were passing me, walking fast and the queue formed a very long away from the gate door that we entered.

Therefore, what I would like to see next time, is as its a special queue, VT should be given at that entrance as people go in, at least this will stop the rush and queue jumping that I saw and in my opinion would be fairer and more logical, than to queue at a door in the end, was no point in queuing at....

Wonder if Malcolm and the other photographer (sorry - I don't know her name!) would be interested in doing something similar. Not sure if they would have time to burn CD's at the event due to how busy they are taking photos (I am guessing the other photographer either has less photos to deal with or has some help).

The second photographer's name is Danielle.

It's way less photos at the other event, simply because it's less fans and the number of guests is smaller. Also last time I was there it was a surprisingly small amount of fans who actually wanted the files. $ 10 per picture can add up quickly.

We'll see, maybe some point in the future we'll see something similar established at Showmasters events.

• Moderators

I'm not sure if any of you have tried calling Showmasters to discuss this, as I can only imagine how many emails they have from the weekend to catch up on etc before they get to ones sent NOW.

But perhaps you could leave your details if no one's there, and they could call you back or whatever.