what works and what did not work

showmasters

I didn't know about the previous photoshoots you mention - I was basing my comments on my experience at Autographica where I got a photoshoot with Joan Collins.

I'm not blaming the bus driver for it being full. I'm blaming his colleague who drove off without taking any passengers, meaning that we had to wait an additional 20-30 minutes, by which time there were far more people than there was room for on the coach. I wasn't the only person turned away so Showmasters should have had vehicles with a higher capacity. There also should have been a system in place to ensure that the people who had been waiting the longest were the first to be allowed onto the coach.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cosplay IS about showing off your costume and getting a reaction to it, why do we have a Cosplay website and forum, if not to show everyone what we have done?

I don't spend months making a costume, just to hide it away in the closet out of embarresment. I want people to see my work, as a winner of 4 events now, I think I would pack it in tomorrow if I couldn't take pride in showing it off. There are lots of people who turn up to Collectormania who just want to strut their stuff in the crowd and we take great delight in seeing costumes that have been well made and presented, but they aren't there just to walk around, they want people to notice them. The competition is there for the more serious Cosplayers who truly believe their costumes have what it takes and maybe to boast that their costume was a cut above the others. (though there are exceptions!)

So yes, Cosplay IS about showing off, why else do we take part in competitions?

You Rock!!! This is the first thread I have found that was in total agreement to my grievances. Showmasters are trying to make out it was a great event, all the staff were doing a brilliant job and the event was well sign posted as regards to guests. I didn't need to use the bus, so didn't have the same problem as yourself, but it does put you off when it is advertised as frequent services available and they aren't! We go to Milton Keynes twice a year for this event, but are seriously considering going somewhere else if they don't get their act together.

I haven't had chance to post about the event up until now because I was away on holiday, and when I got back I wanted to read through the whole thread to see if the points I want to make had been raised already. I am a Showmasters regular, having attended Collectormania in Milton Keynes since number 3. In fact the only one I missed was last year when I was getting married abroad. Collectormania MK is usually one of the highlights of my year. However, this time round I really didn't enjoy the event.

I had been looking forward to the event for months. I set off early to try to avoid the kind of problems I'd encountered at Collectormania Midlands in Coventry (at which I arrived too late for a free autograph because the trains were up the creek), even catching an earlier train than I'd anticipated. I got to Milton Keynes not long after 9am, and was pleased with my progress. However, that was when the problems started. It took quite some time to establish where the coach to the event was as there was absolutely nothing to identify it as having anything to do with the event. The driver was a miserable sod, refusing to let us on the coach despite the fact that a sizeable queue had formed at the bus stop and the rain was pouring down. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had items with me that I did not want to get wet. I was out in the rain for nearly half an hour. The driver was adamant that he had to stick to a schedule so he would not leave until a specific time, even though some attendees at the front of the queue pointed out that the previous coach had failed to turn up. This was extremely frustrating as I wanted to get to the event as soon as possible to avoid missing out.

The coach did eventually depart, but I ended up arriving far later than I'd hoped. I was wanting to buy photoshoots for Leonard Nimoy, Avery Brooks and John de Lancie (I'd met them at other events where they would not look into the camera when you got an autograph). I had tried to pre-order via the website but was surprised to find that pre-orders were no longer being accepted at the time when I looked (I forget the exact day, but I hadn't seen any announcements here on the forums regarding the online shop being closed at the time). I joined the queue to buy tickets and waited... and waited... and just as I was getting near the front of the queue a steward came and announced that the Leonard Nimoy photoshoots had sold out. I was astonished - at previous events when there was the demand, the time for photoshoots was extended. The steward seemed to think that it wasn't a problem as there would be another photoshoot the following day, but this was no consolation to me as I was catching a plane that day. The Leonard Nimoy photoshoot was the one I wanted the most. I was so disappointed that I decided not to bother getting any photoshoots at all.

I decided to start finding the actors I wanted to get autographs from, but this was easier said than done as the maps provided only had a handful of names on them, and most of the actors I wanted to see were not listed. I completed a circuit of the venue but even then was not entirely sure where some of the guests were meant to be. Whose idea was it to put Nicholas Parsons in the same area as Leonard Nimoy? As it was very hard to tell whether Nicholas had actually arrived, a number of people were shouted at by stewards who thought they were trying to ogle Mr Nimoy. The positioning meant that the queue for Nicholas felt very cramped. I did eventually get my autograph, but as I walked away, trying to let the fresh autograph dry, the rain fell on my autograph book. This surprised and appalled me - why use a venue that isn't adequately protected from the elements? After getting my autographs I wanted to find out where the talks were taking place. I had been looking forward to them ever since they were announced on the forum. The sign I had seen earlier in the day had disappeared, so after much fruitless searching I eventually made my way to the Organiser's Booth where I was informed that the talks had been cancelled due to the weather. This was fair enough, but why didn't anyone write a message to that effect on the maps around the venue? It would have taken five minutes and saved a lot of confusion.

This leads to another source of frustration: inadequate or inaccurate information from stewards. When I arrived I couldn't find where Alice Krige would be signing. I checked at the Organiser's Booth and was told that she was running a litlle late but should be there around 10.30. I went to the area indicated but was told that she would be coming around 11. When I went there again a little after 11 I still couldn't find her. I then spoke to a steward in a red shirt who told me that she had cancelled. If I'd been given the correct information earlier I could have saved myself a lot of fruitless searching. The heat and the crowding in the dealers' room has already been raised, so I will just add that the atmosphere in the room meant that I didn't spend much time looking at the different stalls. I just bought the items that I caught sight of in a brief glance at each stall. It wasn't condusive to browsing.

I had intended staying until around 4pm but ended up deciding at around 11.45am that I'd had enough and went to wait for the coach to take me back to the train station. I checked at the info desk and was told that the next coach was due to depart at 12pm. I waited, and at around 12.10 a coach did arrive. We dutifully filed out and formed a queue only to have the same coach driver as before tell us that another coach would be along "in about 10 minutes" and speed off, leaving us to trudge back to the entrance and continue waiting. To add insult to injury, when the coach did finally arrive, much later than the quoted "ten minutes", there was a massive free-for-all and I ended up being told that the coach driver was sorry but he was full. I had been waiting far longer than many of the people who were on the coach! I went to the info desk were it was confirmed that the next coach wouldn't be coming for another hour but that there was a bus stop "next to Tesco". I went to find the bus stop, but there was no Tesco to speak of. I eventually found a bus stop and waited for ages for a bus. A local turned up and it was only then that I discovered I was waiting at the wrong bus stop. I had to rush across a busy main road in order to avoid missing the bus which was about to arrive. I then had to pay £1.70 for the privilege. I know it's not much money, especially as I'd spent far less than I'd planned to, but I had been led to believe that I would be getting a free coach.

The whole experience was a massive disappointment, and it would take an amazing guest (of the calibre of Harrison Ford, for example) to persuade me to return to the Milton Keynes event.

Edited by fletcher763

• 3 weeks later...
  • Showmasters Admin

You Rock!!! This is the first thread I have found that was in total agreement to my grievances.

Thank you. It remains to be seen whether Showmasters have taken note of the points I raised. Let's hope so!

we take everything on board and learn for it

if everyone remembers when we run an event well and get everything right thats another thing

jason

I do remember - that's why I keep coming back to SM shows, while I no longer go to shows run by certain other organisers. I was just disappointed with the most recent CM MK and wanted to let you know so that things are better at the next one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, it's appreciated! :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Overall I thought the event was ok but I think that the new choice of venue does need to be re-thought out or at least set out better.

As I have just literally returned from a Con abroad and I was chatting to some of the past guests- Helen Slater, Dwight Schultz and John Billingsley and they all really enjoyed attending the event when it was at the shopping centre.

However when I was talking to Ben Browder about the football stadium his exact words were - " to be perfectly honest it wasn't set out brilliantly and it was really cold "

Thought I would let you know .

Sarah

*edited*

Sorry, no mentioning other events, even those abroad. Thank you :D

Edited by DavidB

• 4 months later...

Hey, could you put up a decent sandwich place as well, don't care much for fast food it also causes such a mess with litter.

Could you also have a decent stage ready for cosplay or leave an area for cosplay comeptitions for us cosplayers.

Look forward to the new hall, mum was seriously considering not going again with me as we go every year together, becuase of how open it was & cold. Hope there will be heating in this new hall, I remember the dreadfull cold hall at the Manchester convention & having to que outside in the rain. Now i've just mentioned the new hall you will be having she seems more happy to try it again at this new place.

Thanks for the info hope this helps you to plan as well as other peoples insight.

Bye