More to do with books?

Clairbear

I was just wondering if we would be able to have more events/activities that were more relevant to the books than the film? ET1 was amazing, of course, but in ET2 it would be nice to have maybe some more links to the books :) Anyone else agree?

• Moderators

I'm sure they'd be willing to listen to any ideas that anyone may have in relation to the books :thumbup:

I think the film stuff is obviously easier to talk about etc, but if there are valid book activities or whatever that could perhaps be done then go for it ..

I agree that there should be some events to do with the books, although the event is really more aimed at the movie since it is the movie actors and actresses that we are all hoping to meet. But I do agree; I think that things to do with the books would be great since that's where it all started and although I LOVE the film, I will always prefer the books.

Story time, YES!!!! I'll totally volunteer right here and now to read through New Moon...complete with character voices and sound effects! Because to be honest, the person who reads the audio books is pretty bad. It's borderline painful.

I totally agree though, more focus on the books. I think it should be sort of an equal thing. Obviously, it's easier to do things with the film, but the book started it all.

I think it would be ace if Showmasters tried to set up a Q&A session with Steph, made up of questions submitted by us. Obviously we couldn't do it in person, but even something as simple as a webcam could easily make it possible. Or we could just do an audio session using an ISDN, and put a slideshow over it. It would all be done live so Steph could hear our reactions to her answers. O, and the person who submitted the question would be the one to ask it to make it more personal for Steph.

The phrase 'el nombre' rings a bell but i dont know who he is? Can anyone enlighten me?

Also, i do like the story time idea.

Story Time sounds great :P I'd listen... It would be great to have a few more activities based around the books. Just cos you know..the books are pretty awesome.

As for El Nombre.... (Pardon the huge ramble, it's all from wikipedia)

"El Nombre was an animated masked Mexican gerbil originally from a series of educational television shows called Numbertime - a BBC schools programme about mathematics.

El Nombre is set in the fictional town of Santa Flamingo ("deep in the heart of Mexico"), home of Little Juan, Maria Consuela Tequilla Chiquita, Little Pepita Consuela Tequilla Chiquita, Tanto the friendly tarantula spider, El Gelato the ice-cream seller, Leonardo de Sombrero the pizza delivery boy, Senior Calculo the Bank Manager and the local bully Don Fandango. Whenever he is needed, El Nombre swings into action to solve the townspeople's simple mathematical problems, usually talking in rhyme. His character is a parody of the fictional hero Zorro, wearing a similar black cowl mask and wide sombrero, appearing unexpectedly to save the town folk from misjustice and generally swinging around on his bullwhip. However, unlike Zorro, he is often quite inept.

Initially, El Nombre's function was merely to write numbers in the sand to demonstrate the correct way to form a number. This was shot from an angle directly overhead leaving El Nombre almost completely eclipsed by his large sombrero. His appeal was instant and his success prompted rapid development of his role in the series. Since the basic beginning El Nombre has completed 7 educational series (his segment on Number Time) and grown into a 4-5 minute slot, acquiring dramatic storylines, a full cast of characters, and continued to demonstrate mathematical concepts albeit in a dramatic & entertaining way. Episodes have moved away from solving simple mathematical equations to fighting petty crime, unrelated to the number-solving which made his name and for which he was conceived.

As well as being popular with school children, El Nombre has developed a cult following amongst students and parents because of the many references to classic spaghetti Westerns. Indeed, his popularity has grown so much that in March 2004, the El Nombre theme song was released as a single."

"

El Nombre is pretty much the reason for my love of Zorro, in a very messed up way.

The phrase 'el nombre' rings a bell but i dont know who he is? Can anyone enlighten me?

Also, i do like the story time idea.

Hmmm yes who is this person?? El Nombre??

I loved story time when I was younger--We also used to pick a scene from a film and have to re-act it?

Mayb we could do that?

Or like at E2 they did a Quiz, based on Heroes(with pictures and everything)with two of the guest as contestents and it went down reallly well and so so funny to see Alan in a girls wig, lmao....

Edited by BethyBoo

Story time, YES!!!! I'll totally volunteer right here and now to read through New Moon...complete with character voices and sound effects! Because to be honest, the person who reads the audio books is pretty bad. It's borderline painful.

Isn't she awful? No character voices, and she puts a stress on random words in sentences so that they just sound unnatural. I was so disappointed - her bio says she can do all sorts of voices too.

Isn't she awful? No character voices, and she puts a stress on random words in sentences so that they just sound unnatural. I was so disappointed - her bio says she can do all sorts of voices too.

Her voice is terrible! I was going to get the audiobook to force some of my friends to listen to it, since I have a couple of friends who wouldn't be caught dead reading books (that drives me crazy LOL) and so I said that they just HAD to listen to the audiobook if they wouldn't read it. When I checked it out and heard a clip of the woman reading, I thought it was a computerised voice or something. It was awful! It would sound better if I just read it to my friends LOL!

• 1 month later...
  • Showmasters Admin

We are always looking for ideas and new things to try so if you have any ideas do let us know on here. We all have another sell out event to look forward to, so we are sure it will be fantastic no matter what, but new ideas are always welcome.

The only problem is fitting everything in over the 3 days while still ensuring that each and every ticket holder gets what they paid for. Part of that is ensuring you all have a good experience. The last thing we want to do is rush you through the autograph queue so that we can use the space for something else.

But once again... all ideas are welcome. You never know, if its good we may even use it. ;)