• Edward Thomas Production Designers
    • Peter Hawkins ..prosthetics & animatronic effects floor supervisor
    • Curtis Rivers ... stunt double: John Barrowman
    • Charlotte Mitchell ... costume supervisor
    • Murray Gold ... composer: theme music
    • Andy Goddard 6 episodes
    • Ashley Way 6 episodes
    • Chris Chibnall Series Writer 8 episodes

Would LOVE to meet Noel and Freema and RUSSEL!!!11!1!, would LOVE to see Matt Rippy and Tom Price again, As well as the entire main cast, but if I had to choose only one? MURRAY GOLD!!!! O_O!

Seriously I've been listening to all my DW music in my car since I've gotten home and I just can't get over how awesome it is and I was just thinking about asking you to consider him...and...well...eeeee!! XD! hahah!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember who I voted for... I think it was Kai in the first section. Him and Gareth are part of the furniture at this stage and it wouldn't feel like a TW con without them.

From the second section, I would kill to meet Julian Bleach and Noel Clarke. Would also love Ruth Jones, although she wasn't mentioned in the poll.

In the third section, I picked Ben Foster because I'm a bit of a fangirl of his. I think the music for TW is amazing and so suited to every scene and I'd love to meet him. I'd also love to meet Joe Lidster and Euros Lyn.

Of course, I wasn't at [that convention in London a year or so ago], so I could be totally wrong about this. :o

Probably the most hasslefree event I've been to, once we got in.

That's wonderful to know, and I'm now even more jealous of those who were able to go. *curses work obligations* :poki:

You mean The Rift? I think it was hassle free because there was no party for James to hang out at and he didn't spend time hanging out with fans unlike at The Hub where you could hassle guests at parties and at the bars.

Can I suggest Caroline? Not sure what her surname is she played Lisa.

I strongly suspect that if James comes to this event (which I really hope) he won't be hanging around there in the parties. John didn't hang around in the parties in the first Hub and I don't really expect him to do that in the third Hub either. I can't really see a problem there.

I very much want to see Gareth and Kai at Hub3, mixing with John as they did at the first Hub --that chemistry--especially the playfulness between Gareth and John-- is irreplaceable and most of my favourite moments from that first con are down to them.

OTOH, I also really wish you could get RTD --he's the reason we're all where we're at now, remember! And lord, he's brilliant, witty, and would be a terrific guest, even moreso if you could have JB, Gareth, etal alongside him.

Tom Price is, as his website addy says, priceless. He was wonderful. As was Matt Rippy. The two of them, in very different ways, were so much fun. Please bring them both back!

It would be terrific if you could get Chris Chibnall, as he's been a principal writer, as well.

I have to be honest here and say I'm not keen on Freema taking a spot that might otherwise be filled by one of the people above. And that is because I associate her primarily with Doctor Who. Yes, she was in some eps of TW, but still, I see her as a DW character.

I favour new (or newish) over old. No offence to GDL and the like, but I'm not sure what else he has to say, considering he's done so many conventions now. I enjoy his talks, but I'd like to hear more from people I haven't heard much from.

So, completely new guests I'd like to see are Freema, RTD (of course!) and some season 3 guests.

In terms of guests who have been at conventions but haven't done many, Burn may have been at the last Hub but he hasn't done many events, so he'd be good to see again. Maybe Tom Price too. I think they would both interact well with John!

Edited by Wondergirl

On the flip side I did attend an event which James Marsters did with Gareth David Lloyd some time ago and a good 95% of the attendees were there to see James not Gareth and it was awkward and slightly embarassing to see the line for James snaking out the door with practically every attendee completely by-passing Gareth as they just had no interest in him.

I don't think it's just that, if you've already met a guest (and I've lost count how many times I've met Gareth!) then the one you haven't met is going to take priority.

I'm sure that's teh case at most events but it categorically wasn't at the event I was referring to. 95%+ of those attendees were there to see James (despite of course having met him hundreds of times before) and just weren't the slightest bit interested in Gareth.

Every event needs new guests to keep it alive and interesting but the old favourites like Kai and Gareth are favourites for a reason - no matter how many times people have seen them.

Also the event is post Children of Earth airing so everyone attending will be able to talk freely about that in the way that they haven't before. I'm finding the suggestion that the old-hand guests won't have anything to talk about or have somehow said all there is to be said a little insulting to the actors.

:D AAARRRGGGHHH!! :chair:

It's hard not to take critisism against James fans personally.

Mainly 'cause I'm a :wub: James :wub: fan first and being TW/Buffy&Angel fan comes in second.

RE: Not all James fans are TW fans

That's true, but basically the greatest mass of James fans aren't UK based.

And that always affects what people see on the telly. There're also massive cultural differences...

Then again, there were a lot of people outside the UK in both of the Hub's, so maybe that doesn't change the dynamics too much.

RE: Hub 3 becoming a one man con

Well, it might become one anyway...

'cause I believe a lot of JB fans are attending this solely because he is there.

And I don't think they are bad people for being only interested in John.

If they don't feel like attending the talks or getting all the auto's they are entitled to, then that's their business.

RE: James fans are crazy

This is the thing I hate the most.

We have a bad rep and that shows in most of your comments.

I bet that when Hub3 comes along, most of you will look at me differently because of my posting here, even though I've (IMO) behaved as well as one can in a TW con.

The sad fact is that there are crazy fans in every fandom.

Ask any guest in any con and you'll find that they've been scared of fan behaviour towards 'em.

But that still doesn't make the guests shy away from the fans, does it?

I think over 99% of James fans are well behaving individuals, to whom the phrase:

I'm a committed fan, but I don't need to be committed

suits well. *thinks about getting that printed on some tshirts*

But, as always, few rotten apples spoil the rep for all of us.

-MtS.Tyra, the one who dares to voice her opinions

Ask any guest in any con and you'll find that they've been scared of fan behaviour towards 'em.

But that still doesn't make the guests shy away from the fans, does it?

Well actually yes, yes it does.

If an actor is concerned about fan behaviour they will limit fan interaction - simple as that!

But I digress. Generalisations are something to be avoided. Of course not all james Marsters fans are a security concern but he does have an extremely dedicated fanbase who have a tendency to focus purely on him at the expense of all others. I don't actually agree that the Hub 1 was a one man show with JB being the sole focus of attention - people came away from that event just as enamoured of Kai and Gareth and indeed Lachlan.

The Hub 3 won't all be about John at the expense of everyone else there and that would be the slight concern with James attending - that he would bring with him a hugely dedicated fanbase who would be singularly interested in him and not the other actors and that can result in an unbalanced and unpleasant atmosphere.

Edited by Persephone1

RE: Hub 3 becoming a one man con

Well, it might become one anyway...

'cause I believe a lot of JB fans are attending this solely because he is there.

And I don't think they are bad people for being only interested in John.

If they don't feel like attending the talks or getting all the auto's they are entitled to, then that's their business.

There is a chance high chance that many John fans are attending simply because he will be there. However, they have the excuse (not that they need one) that John is the lead character in TW, the same does not apply to James- he's been in 3 episodes and by the time of Hub not have been in the show for an entire (albeit, mini) series.

(Major snippage!)

The sad fact is that there are crazy fans in every fandom.

My 2p-worth;

1. About 9 or 10 years ago I was a member of a JM mailgroup (there were no fora for him then!), and I have to say that everyone I encountered in that group was an absolute gem. There were a couple of people who, for various reasons, were housebound, and the group became a real lifeline for them. When a close relative of one of them died, it was the group which really helped them through. I've never been to a con where JM has attended, so have no experience of badly behaved fans but it does seem a shame that genuinely nice people appear to be getting tarred with the same brush as those not so well-behaved. And it's a shame that generalizations appear to be taken personally.

2. Being a TW fan does not automatically mean that someone is not a nutter! I met some incredibly annoying people at the weekend, and in a couple of instances, had to bite my tongue very hard! I didn't see anyone causing any trouble though, which was fantastic, especially given the general level of inebriation!

My point is that someone being a fan of one thing/person or another, says relatively little about them as a person, nor offers any guarantees regarding their behaviour. People are people, and in any group situation, there are always going to be those who spoil things for others, whether by design or by accident. I don't think this is a good enough reason not to invite certain guests though. And FWIW, I don't consider myself to be a particular fan of JM more than I think of myself as being a TW fan.

Anyway, going back to the guest list, I'd love to have Matt back, and Tom. Not at all bothered about Eve, Kai and Gareth, and I can't imagine how that poor little girl is going to cope if they are back and in full swing! I'd like to see Roddy again but I don't really see the point unless he does more TW - and he did seem a little out of his depth on Sunday. I agree about Louise Delamere - I really liked Diane, and she was very easy on the eye too! I'd absolutely love RTD to show up, plus Peter Hawkins and Charlotte Mitchell, because I'd really like to hear about their work. However, I could only vote for one crew, so being a costumer myself, I chose Charlotte.

To add to the discussion: I went to Hub1 for John.... I came back to Hub2 for Kai (and Matt) and the fact that this is the one place I meet others who love Torchwood (some definitely more nutty than me) as my family don't watch it / get it.

And all the worries about it being a one person show: It wasn't that much the first time and I think John's too professional to let that happen anyway - he totally incorporated everyone on the panels... It wasn't this time and I think Showmasters / Massive Events are now very well aware of that concern - with 31 weeks to go they actually have time to put things in place to avoid that!!!

Re James Masters Fans being Buffy (Spike) focussed - what are they doing at a Torchwood convention in the first place????

Much as I'd love to see James Marsters, I worry that the convention would turn into a madhouse with him there (sort of like Orlando Bloom showing up to a Lord of the Rings convention), and I'd love to avoid that problem and its attendant security nightmares. Of course, I wasn't at [that convention in London a year or so ago], so I could be totally wrong about this. ;)

I worry too, that his fans who follow him everywhere would attend. No disrespect to them, but to have so many of the attendees having no interest in half of what is going on wouldn't exactly be fun...

I do completely understand your worry and I've never attended a 'con' as such with him there, but I am one of those fans who has followed him everywhere for years, including events where he's been up close and personal with his fans and I've never witnessed any problems. There will always be one or two nutty fangirls, but I'm positive Gareth and John have their fair share of those following them around too.

And maybe if James goes and they'll sell more tickets and be able to afford more guests either for Hub 3 or 4. :D

The Hub 3 won't all be about John at the expense of everyone else there and that would be the slight concern with James attending - that he would bring with him a hugely dedicated fanbase who would be singularly interested in him and not the other actors and that can result in an unbalanced and unpleasant atmosphere.

May I ask how exactly? Just because James might end up with a longer queue? Honestly, I think everyone is worrying over nothing. ;)

But JM fans are totally crazy! Especially that Uninv1ted. She's an absolute nutjob! ;)

LMAO!! And don't even start me on HP fans and their crazy ways ... Oh, wait, that's me too.:D

But JM fans are totally crazy! Especially that Uninv1ted. She's an absolute nutjob! ;)

LMAO!! And don't even start me on HP fans and their crazy ways ... Oh, wait, that's me too.:D

Yeah, and those mental Merlin fans! You've really gotta watch out for them! ;)

Yeah, and those mental Merlin fans! You've really gotta watch out for them! ;)

Oh absolutely, those Merlin mentalists! ;)

May I ask how exactly? Just because James might end up with a longer queue? Honestly, I think everyone is worrying over nothing.

Well I think people's concerns have already been set out quite clearly in this thread but no it has nothing to do with James possibly having a longer queue than anyone else and more about the awkwardness of a group of fans being at a weekend con to see one individual and one individual only leading to the sort of embarassing situation where some of the guests are completely ignored while one actor alone is mobbed and where attendees freely speak through talks that they're not interested in because they're only there to see the one guest and so have no interest in following the other talks, both of which happened at the James Marsters event I attended.

This is a Torchwood event first and foremost and shouldn't become a one man show.

May I ask how exactly? Just because James might end up with a longer queue? Honestly, I think everyone is worrying over nothing.

This is a Torchwood event first and foremost and shouldn't become a one man show.

I'd like to hope that wouldn't happen, especially as John will be there. Surely they'll be more TW fans than JM fans in attendance anyway. And if people did flock around James too much, I'd be more than happy to personally mob Gareth all by myself :blush:

I do get what you're saying about about people yapping through the talks because that happened to us this weekend. Very annoying.

I am one of the James Marsters fans BUT i have already attended both Hub conventions and signed up for the 3rd as well, the cast are amazing fun and i first met them at the event James did last year.

Yes james does have a very good following for his events worldwide but seeing that there are only mainly standard tickets left for those who are purely james fans (if he were announced) i cant see how fans would take over as the torchwood fans have already snapped up the early front row tickets - as it should be and to be honest i think a lot of the James fans are waiting on Hallowhedon . This said there are TW who would like to see James as well as i heard one of the guests being asked this weekend. I am sure that there are purely John Barrowman fans attending Hub 3 too, does this matter, it shouldnt as long as everyone has a good time and enjoys the event i dont see a problem with both of them there it would just be a bonus and it should not matter who has the longest q at any given time as i would have thought most fans get every autograph anyway so will be going to all queues.

Nicky

Edited by buffy2k

I am one of the James Marsters fans who follow him to events BUT i have already attended both Hub conventions and signed up for the 3rd as well as they are great fun. Yes james does have a very good following for his events worldwide but seeing that there are only mainly standard tickets left for those who are purely james fans (if he were announced) i cant see how fans would take over as the torchwood fans have already snapped up the early front row tickets - as it should be and to be honest i think a lot of the James fans are waiting on Hallowhedon . This said there are TW who would like to see James as well as i heard one of the guests being asked this weekend. I am sure that there are purely John Barrowman fans attending Hub 3 too, does this matter as long as everyone has a good time and enjoys the events i dont see a problem with both of them there it would just be a bonus and it should not matter who has the longest q at any given time as i would have thought most fans get every autograph anyway so will be going to all queues.

Nicky

I agree with everything you just said. I've been a big fan of JM for years and been to countless gigs and everyone has always been very nice. I just can't envisage any sort of real problem. I'm sure there are plenty of TW fans who aren't sure if they want to go and maybe James on the guest list will give them the push they need. I wasn't sure about attending, but I came to Hub 2 with a standard ticket because I wanted to see Gareth, and now I'm coming to Hub 3 with a Gold ticket purely because I had the time of my life. I think we need to give the organisers some credit. They did a fabulous job and I'm absolutely sure they could cope with all the rampant James fans :D

I would love to see all the core cast and James would be a very welcome bonus.

I have to say I'd love to see RTD and Chris Chibnall attend Hub 3 - they would give a fascinating insight into the way the show is constructed, plus RTD is a very good and entertaining speaker. He'd be a riot at the Hub :D

RE: Not all James fans are TW fans

That's true, but basically the greatest mass of James fans aren't UK based.

And that always affects what people see on the telly. There're also massive cultural differences...

Then again, there were a lot of people outside the UK in both of the Hub's, so maybe that doesn't change the dynamics too much.

I think over 99% of James fans are well behaving individuals

Yup, that's true.

I'm a non-UK James fan as well who ended up in the TW fandom cos of him, and now I'm a big fan of the show and JB too! I like James not only for his roles, but his personality and real life self as well. And as far as I know my fellow JM fans, we can behave indeed!

So I attended Hub 1-2 cos I love the show and JB and Eve, and be there at the 3rd one for the same reason, and if James happens to be there, that would be an awesome bonus.

I am sure that there are purely John Barrowman fans attending Hub 3 too, does this matter as long as everyone has a good time and enjoys the events i dont see a problem with both of them there it would just be a bonus and it should not matter who has the longest q at any given time as i would have thought most fans get every autograph anyway so will be going to all queues.

Right. I don't see why we shuld compete. The purpose of the con is to hav fun and not the two fan-groups competing each other.

Actually the longer/shorter q issue is always a chance no matter who the guest is. SM are aware of that.

back to the question..

Please briing Eve back!!! I so would like to see her and JB on stage together, plus if James happen to come, her and him as well!!

Edited by Cryssie

I agree with what others have said about Kai and Gareth coming back. While they may want to change it around a bit it will only be a short time after S3 has aired and I'm sure there will be lots of questions and stories that can be told after that. Plus John and Gareth on stage together - priceless :YAHOO:

I also think Julian Bleach would be a great guest but others from S3 would be good too. And I also voted for Curtis Rivers John's stunt double - I'm sure he has some stories to tell.