Last of the wrinkled stockings

TommyT

Blimey 2008 really has been awful for celeb deaths. R.I.P Kathy.

Sure

Fingers crossed that P Diddy,Kany West,Simon Cowell and whoever thought it was a good idea to use that "its beggining to look a lot like christmas " song in those bleedin adverts are next.

Edited by vintageSW77

Sure

Fingers crossed that P Diddy,Kany West,Simon Cowell and whoever thought it was a good idea to use that "its beggining to look a lot like christmas " song in those bleedin adverts are next.

well that was a whole lot of not really necessary...

Sure

well that was a whole lot of not really necessary...

Exactly what I thought when reading that post! There's trying to 'edgy' and 'controversial' and theres just wishing death upon people, they have families and friends Vintage, just grow up!

Edited by frankslittlemachine

Exactly what I thought when reading that post! There's trying to 'edgy' and 'controversial' and theres just wishing death upon people, they have families and friends Vintage, just grow up!

On a forum filled with people who collect Star Wars figures (myself included...vintage of course) and adults who dress up as Indiana Jones(nowt wrong with that sometimes i like to dress up as Wilhelmina 'Willie' Scott.....ANYTHING GOES!!) ill always take the advice of "grow up" with a pinch of salt.

Ok maybe death is a little harsh for someone who has this xmas no matter how hard you try to avoid it put a piece of music together with an advert that is "beggining to look a lot like" as annoying as the Silver Shamrock ad in Halloween 3

AND sure wishing death upon someone who i fear is behind some subliminal scheme akin to the aliens in THEY LIVE who with his "talent" has made this country look like punk never 'appened may be considered a tad extreme.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!?!

Maybe i was having a laugh.

No Doctor Who series 4 boxset,Emily Watson swimsuit calendar or 12" remote control Davros for you Vintage this xmas you naught little boy!!!!

If not death how about a slight sprain ?

Chinese burn ?

Paper cut ?

Edited by vintageSW77

• Showmasters Admin

Vintage,

You obviously love Dr Who and Horror. It would be great if you'd use just 10% of that enthusiasm in a positive way to promote them and get more Dr Who and Horror fans onto this site. That is ultimately the best way to get more Dr Who and Horror guests announced.

When you're talking about the things you love you come across as a reasonable and mature person with a genuine interest in what you love. It's just a real shame that those post always have to be accompanied by these smart alec remarks that are at best inappropriate and sometimes rude and offensive.

Frankslittlemachine is not wrong. Acting the fool and making these types of remark may have been funny and cool at school or down the pub but in the real world they are what they are, RUDE and OFFENSIVE.

Humour is fine, but you're intelligent enough to know when the line has been crossed. From both a personal and a forum point of view it would be great if the "wise" cracks stayed down the pub. There is no need for them here and all they do is cause issues like this one.

Thanks for reading,

Stuart.

Edited by Too Tall

I make a crack about wishing death on a couple of annoying celebs and an even more annoying advert and i get a b*******g.

Theres nothing spoken ill of anyone on this site.

If ive offended any fans of Simon Cowell,anyone who likes to play their tinny RnB music on the back of the bus or any Asda employees i apologise.

If it was just this thread then no I wouldn't have gotten involved. But this is far from the first time an inappropriate comment of yours has started an argument!

Well people need to chill out a little then.

If people want to argue that up to themselves.

Ive never had anything other than one occurance of a two post tiff.

I might have caused offence in the past but i wouldnt know as by the time i get to read responses the thread has been removed so i never know what ive started(the GO TEAM OBAMA or Glomping threads for instance).

Edited by vintageSW77

• Showmasters Admin

If it was just this thread then no I wouldn't have gotten involved. But this is far from the first time an inappropriate comment of yours has started an argument!

Well people need to chill out a little then.

You see this is the problem. Your inappropriate comments cause an argument to start, but of course it's the others members fault for not being "chilled out".

Maybe you could learn from that and understand there are going to be people that will take offense to inappropriate comments and so don't post them in the first place.

They are simply not necessary.

• Showmasters Admin

Vintage,

I can only assume you like playing the fool and think you are funny. I've tried being nice, maybe blunt will work better.

You know what you've just written isn't appropriate for this forum and is at best in bad taste. Yes maybe you should go away for a while and hopefully when you come back you will not feel the necessity to play the fool.

90% of the problems that we as moderators have to deal with come from less than 1% of the forum members. We try and be fair and we want to let people have their say and have freedom of speech. But your username comes up on my radar far too many times. You are a known pain to the moderators team.

You may argue that you are a model forum member, misunderstood, and you can not for one second understand why I've written this to you. Well if you truly believe that you can ignore me. Keep posting the way you do.

If you'd like for that one second admit that there's a chance at times you push the boundaries of what's reasonable on a family show forum then maybe things can change for the better.

I'm offering you AGAIN the chance to make a change and be the reasonable and positive forum member I know you can be. This means the inappropriate and argumentative posts stop!

You may ask, "Why am I being singled out, others have been worse than me?". Firstly, someone else being worse than you does not make you right. Secondly they will very likely not have been given this chance, they will have just been banned. I see a spark of hope in your none "funny" posts, I hope you take the chance I'm offering.

Stuart

Ill apologise only because this thread was originally a tribute to the death of Kathy Burke whos work i enjoyed very much and ive turned it into something else.

As far as I'm aware, Kathy Burke is alive and well; it's Kathy Staff who has departed this mortal coil...

And I may be in the minority here, but I think your original post would have been genuinely very funny if you'd said something like "it is a terrible shame that we're losing such wonderful people, and yet... No I wouldn't wish death on anyone, especially not at this time of year, but is it too much to hope that X, Y and Z get a few papercuts when they're opening their Christmas cards or their next royalty statements?"

I found the frustrated restraint of your papercut suggestion very funny - just not when you had to be prodded twice into making it.

And yes, I do find that advert annoying, if only because I keep finding myself singing the damn tune. :D

Anyway, back to Kathy Staff; I thought her character of Mrs Blewitt in Open All Hours was an utter gem; very well observed, and she provided a great platform for many of Arkwright's finest moments!

And I may be in the minority here, but I think your original post would have been genuinely very funny if you'd said something like "it is a terrible shame that we're losing such wonderful people, and yet... No I wouldn't wish death on anyone, especially not at this time of year, but is it too much to hope that X, Y and Z get a few papercuts when they're opening their Christmas cards or their next royalty statements?"

Dont give up the day job.

Ive re read that re write of my "gag" a couple of times and every time i feel like im reading an exerpt from a comedy masterclass written by Peter Andre......its that painful.

Heres the thing - ive never said im funny anywhere in any post whereas you state that your effort is.

Theres nothing worse than laughing at your own gags, its not very "rock on" Tommy.

This is just how i am on the 2 (no doubt soon to be 1)forums that i visit,im not playing the fool nor do i feel im being offensive.......why so serious?

I find it a little surreal but at the same time fitting to be chastised by someone with an image from a Disney flick as an avatar.

AND as you cant be yourself or critisize any aspect of SM without the thread being closed or being jumped by the internet version of the Brady Bunch to quote the late great Kenneth Williams before he topped himself " whats the bloody point ?"

If this post leads to a ban......fine.

As the equally late and great Groucho Marx once said -

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member "

Happy Hanukkah!

Re wrote 18/12/08.

Edited by vintageSW77

Ive re read that re write of my "gag" a couple of times and every time i feel like im reading an exerpt from a comedy masterclass written by Peter Andre......its that painful.

Heres the thing - ive never said im funny anywhere in any post whereas you state that your effort is.

Theres nothing worse than laughing at your own gags, its not very "rock on" Tommy.

This is just how i am on the 2 (no doubt soon to be 1)forums that i visit,im not playing the fool nor do i feel im being offensive.......why so serious?

I find it a little surreal but at the same time fitting to be chastised by someone with an image from a Disney flick as an avatar.

AND as you cant be yourself or critisize any aspect of SM without the thread being closed or being jumped by the internet version of the Brady Bunch to quote the late great Kenneth Williams before he topped himself " whats the bloody point ?"

If this post leads to a ban......fine.

As the equally late and great Groucho Marx once said -

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member "

Happy Hanukkah!

Re wrote 18/12/08.

So....can we assume that as you have now rewritten this to exclude the part about leaving, your actually going to stay? Well done on sticking to your principles

It was a 30 second hack job; I wasn't looking to sell it on or proclaim it as the new Python. Trust me, if I'd have done a proper re-write job on it I'd have invoiced you at my standard professional rate. I was trying to demonstrate that one could be vaguely amusing within the constraints of acceptable standards on this forum. I think it's been established that we both have darker natural senses of humour than this, and probably darker than is acceptable here. I suppose the message is either try to be funny here in a way acceptable to the mods (which you seem to find painfully unfunny - each to their own) or don't try to be funny at all. (Or, since you're claiming not to be funny, just don't post anything at all, since you seem to generate offence. Your choice, it doesn't bother me.)

Heres the thing - ive never said im funny anywhere in any post

Well, before you re-write the relevant posts, I figured that "Maybe I was having a laugh" and "I make a crack" were suggestions that you considered your original post funny. Maybe it was just an admission that your cracks aren't funny, and you have a laugh at unfunny things. So be it, each to their own, and a busload of other cliches... (including the egregious "whatever")

whereas you state that your effort is.

Theres nothing worse than laughing at your own gags,

I take it you've never been to Auschwitz; there's far worse things there.

This is just how i am on the 2 (no doubt soon to be 1)forums that i visit,im not playing the fool nor do i feel im being offensive

I guess the point is that since this isn't "your" forum, then how you "feel" you are being is not the final arbiter of what constitutes acceptable or unacceptable posting.

• Showmasters Admin

Vintage,

Yes I have deleted your "yet another" inappropriate joke!

OK, you asked for it and as it's Christmas I feel I should oblige.

I've banned you from this forum for 30 days.

We all have different personas....

The one we use when we're at work.

The one we use when we're at home with our other half.

The one we use when we're out with our mates.

The one we use when we're visiting elderly relatives.

The one we use when we're around children.

We all learn to adapt to the social situation we are in. You need to learn this is not the place for your "Out with your mates" persona. You may argue that "this is the way I always am!" but I'd put a big bet on the fact that that isn't 100% true.

Everyone changes a bit depending on the situation they are in. You wouldn't walk into a work meeting and start talking about how hot the girl on TV looked last night. You wouldn't start making jokes about WW2 in front of elderly relatives that may have lives through it. You wouldn't talk or joke about sex or death in front of children.

Yes, we all like a laugh and you can say "I'm just being myself", but any adult knows there's a time and place for everything. This is not the place for your "Out with your mates" persona.

Hopefully after 30 days you'll come to realise that and come back using a persona more appropriate for this forum. If you can not, the ban will be made permanent.

Stuart.

Edited by Too Tall