It's early but who do you want at CG3? :)

Galaxy-Song

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening all.

Was in Glasgow the other day, and entered a Sci-fi shop. The owner said there might be a TNG cast member appearing at next months show.

Does anyone know, rumour or otherwise, of there will be any cast from TNG appearing?

Cheers.

if there is a tng guest, i would put a penny bet on marina sirtis again.

i'd setlle for anyone from buffy at this point, or just any decent horror film guest.

we have Warwick Davis!!!!!!

the guy is in the scariest film of all time!

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

Collectormania events are the BEST, far better than other groups overall that run similar events.

However I wish Collectormania would get guest list or more people announced earlier! Just over 2 weeks to go - lot of Doctor Who, Buffy girl, Dirk Benedict, Big Brother guy.

Ages ago it had been said as it was last event of year and they had no others around same time they would put a lot into it guest wise?

REALITY CHECK :

Collectormania Events are the BEST by far over any other group!

BUT.............

Especially in Credit Crunch time! there needs to be more gets and announced earlier, especially bigger names.

Retail stores already have big sales on, as people are tightening their budgets and spending, predictions over Xmas are downturn in sales.

To get more people into the event, bigger / more guests are needed, and line up's announced earlier.

I'm looking forward to it a lot, I'll go regardless of the line up but I know many especially first timers look at the line up especially if travelling from further away.

Forgot to add guest suggestions at end of my post :

MARINA SIRTIS (Star Trek)

CHARMED (any from it)

GHOST WHISPERER (any from it)

MC SKAT KAT (from Paul Abdul's 'Opposites Attract' video)

MARIA GRAZIA CUCCINOTA (007, etc)

MONICA BELLUCCI (Matrix, etc)

STEVEN SEAGAL

RALPH MACHIO

FRANCESSCA ANNIS (Dune, etc)

RAE DAWN CHONG (Soul Man, etc)

MARY TAMM (Doctor Who)

DEMON EYES AT WINDOW (The Amityville Horror 70s original)

IRENE CARA (Fame , etc)

JENNIFER BEALS (Flashdance, etc)

PALADIN (from Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade)

DERREN BROWN (Mindbender)

URI GELLER (+ spoons)

Especially in Credit Crunch time! there needs to be more gets and announced earlier, especially bigger names.

Retail stores already have big sales on, as people are tightening their budgets and spending, predictions over Xmas are downturn in sales.

To get more people into the event, bigger / more guests are needed

So what you're saying is that at a time when everybody has less money, or at least is expected to spend less money, then SM should get more expensive (doubly so if they're US-based, given the substantial weakening of the pound against the dollar) guests, and more guests generally, thus making a considerable increase in their costs, meaning that they risk facing a substantial loss, or must attract more people to spend more money. At a time when many people are spending less, and some are spending nothing at all.

This does not strike me as a particularly smart business plan.

I understand that your idea is produce such an attractive show that people will come anyway, regardless of their current financial plight, and spend money that they may not have. In other words gamble that either people aren't as short of cash as they suggest they are, or that they have so little self-control that the attraction of the show will be so great that it will make vast numbers of them come and spend money that they don't actually have with the idea that they'll try to sort out how to pay for it later.

I know that we're a society that has got far too used to living on credit in a "buy-now-pay-later" mindset, but I think that your business plan is very ballsy for these current times. I certainly wouldn't put my own money behind it, and I wouldn't blame SM for passing on it either...

Tommy T,

What I'm saying is they should announce line up's much EARLIER!

And with better guests to pull more people in.

We've all heard the INCREDIBLY LAME excuses as to why they cannot announce the most of the line up much earlier, so let's not bother going into them again & someone else repeating them ad infinitum. Fact - other groups announce line up's & guest far earlier across the World, so those lame excuses just don't cut it.

It is 2 WEEKS BEFORE the Show :

Full Guest List not announced

Existing Guest List not too strong, and heavy on Dr.Who

No Schedule which guests / which days

Times for Photoshoots

etc, etc

By leaving everything so late , it is NOT the best way to promote or do a show, nobody in their right mind could say otherwise.

People travelling from far away that can only make say one day , only 2 weeks to go - and no idea if it will be different guests on diff. days Not ideal is it?

People that want to attend a Talk by a particular guest or get a pro photo with them, no times / days yet. Not ideal is it?

The Full Guest List not announced yet (assume they will add more) & only 2 Weeks to go. Any guests suddenly announced may attract ot get the interest of people that cannot get time of work / get babysitters whatever or make arrangements to be there.

Shows events are the BEST! But this last minute nonsense has got to stop. Surely nobody thinks it is the best way to do a show leave everything to last minute?

Contact guests months ahead they are either tentatively free them or they're not, if they are free then sign them, if they are not don't; some may cancel but better than leaving it until the last minute.

I wasn't taking any exception to your point about finalising stuff earlier. That's why I made no comment on that aspect.

But you also said that they should have more guests, and bigger guests - in effect, take a bigger risk - at a time which you yourself is characterised by much less availability of consumer cash and greatly reduced spending.

I've no beef with you calling for details to be made available earlier; I just think that your accompanying call for more guests and bigger guests (even if they're announced earlier) is unrealistic in the current economic climate.

It is NOT unrealistic at all. Remember Shows themselves promised strong line up ages ago as it was their last show off the year , no others on around that time, etc.

You have to 'speculate to accumulate' sometimes.

Would a few big names have brought in far more people? For sure! Worth the extra investment Definitely!

Some events in England have had Brandon Rooth (Superman) , etc. Guest like that pull in a ton more people that usually attend.

Common sense if people are spending less generally or trying to cut spending, don't think mainly Z list stars will bring a lot of people in, sadly they won't.

I'll go to an event regardless of line up, and this shows is lets face it pretty poor, but many won't especially those who have never been to one before.

Fingers crossed Buffy girl / Dirk do not cancel! Then the line up goes to beyond poor.

Shows put on GREAT shows overall despite :

1) Failing to Announce Guests/Line Up to last minute - in this case 2 Weeks before event!

2) Making False promises we'll build on previous shows get more/better guests???? Really! Or as with this show it's our last one of the year nothing on around same time , we'll go all out to make it great - sadly that promise did not extend to the guest list.

Tommy T,

Worth noting too that most guests from days/times will NOT be there on the Friday. Better guests no Friday just Sat & Sun as before and save money cut costs for Friday (hall rental, promotion, guests, etc) - would have been better idea me thinketh? But no you & Shows know best. Many people work Friday it will be less busy guaranteed than weekend, more so if people know most guests won't be there then.

It is NOT unrealistic at all. Remember Shows themselves promised strong line up ages ago as it was their last show off the year , no others on around that time, etc.

The history here will show that I have plenty of "previous" for giving SM stick about over-promising at times. In fairness to them on this occasion, their statement was made at a time when getting US guests (i.e. those paid in dollar terms) was about 15% cheaper than it now is, because of the exchange rate. And compared to this time last year, US guests will now be about 30% more expensive, for the same reason. That's a heck of a difference to SM's costs if they're going to be your biggest guests

Would a few big names have brought in far more people? For sure!

Your opinion, which you're welcome to, but nothing you can actually prove. Would they have brought in more people? Yes. Would they have brought in far more people? Possibly. Would they have brought in far more people with enough spending cash between them to make it viable? Very questionable in the current climate, I'd have thought.

Common sense if people are spending less generally or trying to cut spending, don't think mainly Z list stars will bring a lot of people in, sadly they won't.

They probably won't, but in financially straitened times, bigger guests might very well not attract enough extra people to make it financially worthwhile. Jason has said on here before that not every event breaks even, so when so many people are saying that they have less to spend, and cannot get the credit to buy stuff they normally couldn't afford but would buy anyway, then the chances are that a bigger show would mean a bigger turnout, but also a bigger loss, because many of those that do turn up won't have the individual spending power that they did 12 months ago. Surely better a small show for the time being that remains viable than a big show which makes a big loss and never happens again?

Worth noting too that most guests from days/times will NOT be there on the Friday. Better guests no Friday just Sat & Sun as before and save money cut costs for Friday (hall rental, promotion, guests, etc) - would have been better idea me thinketh? But no you ... know best.

I have nothing to do with the organisation of the show, so can't comment on their choices or costs. And I've never claimed to know better, so please don't put words in my mouth; I just have a differing opinion to you, and we're engaged in polite if robust debate. Of course, if it's your genuine opinion that I know better than you, then I thank you. :firedevil:

I personally think people are weaving the economic situation into all these arguments when really, to the man on the street, it means very little.

There must be actors who could do with a little extra money too though.

Here's the thing though, surely with VAT coming down for a year ALL organisers will benefit from this. They can't realistically reduce a £10 autograph to £9.80, so that 20p extra a time. it adds up.

Hotels should be able to pass the saving on. But if you've prebooked for a set price that could be open to debate.

Personally the greatest way the situation is hitting my family is the falling interest rates. I'm a saver so my money isn't working so hard for me as it once was. So now I'm saving more, spending less. And with train prices going up next year too, these things will be more expensive for me to get to.

Still time will tell.

Edited by TerraHawk