La Push Beach Party

Aakerman

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I don't have the time lately to come up with something myself, my own design or so. I ended up just ordering a La Push Cliff Diving Team tshirt from Zazzle.com and another tshirt from the same place which I plan to wear Saturday or Sunday during the day :)

ok everyone am i the only one who seems to be wearing a little indian dress with feather jewellery, with ugg boots. It feels like everyone is wearing wellies and raincoats or shorts and t shirts. help help!!!!! :WINCE:

Don't worry... I think I read that some other people are going to dress up as native americans as well... so you'll be okay :D

ok everyone am i the only one who seems to be wearing a little indian dress with feather jewellery, with ugg boots. It feels like everyone is wearing wellies and raincoats or shorts and t shirts. help help!!!!! :WINCE:

Here comes the lecture :D

I think very few people are going for a Native look because it's just not that easy to dress like someone from the Pacific Northwest tribes, as the Quileute tribe are. Technically, the typical buckskin dress, feathers and turquoise jewellery is the traditional dress of the Plains Indians, which are a world away from the Pacific Northwest tribes. The traditional image of the Indian (buckskin, war bonnets, painted ponies, tipis, hunting buffalo) that we get from movies refers to tribes like the Sioux and Cheyenne who were based in the Central United States, like Montana and Wyoming. A long way away from Washington State.

The Pacific Northwest tribes are based in far harsher climates like Alaska, British Columbia and of course Washington State, and in the past were primarily fishers. The Quileute were one of the few tribes who were serious whalers too. Because of the wet weather and the fact they spent most of their time in canoes or on beaches, in ancient times many Pacific Northwest tribes went pretty much naked, or wore very simple hats and skirts made from cedar bark. in colder climates like Alaska, they would wear boots made of seal fur. Quileute's wove blankets from dog hair to keep warm. Some tribes wore cone shaped hats hats which were woven like baskets. Their traditional dress is quite far away from that image of the Indian we get from movies like Dances with Wolves ;) Their art is incredibly beautiful and quite similar to Maori art - for instance, totem poles are from this region.

These days, on a Pacific Northwest rez you are going to see kids wearing pretty much what any kids wear in the area - hoodies, jeans, boots. There is a tendency to demonstrate "Native Pride" on t-shirts though - like the Homeland Security shirt that Embry wears in the movie. Traditonal items are still worn for ceremonial events like potlatches (where a family leader hosts a big feast for the community with dances and song) - the most prevailant of which is the Button Blanket. A good reference point for the way that tribe members dress for ceremonies is the Seoul Mates episode of Northern Exposure - that ends with a ceremony which features traditional costumes and ceremonial blankets.

There you go - lesson over.

But I don't think anyone will be coming in a cedar skirt and a basketware hat that looks like a lampshade, so I wouldn't worry too much about whatever you have chosen. ;)

I think the core thing is, with all the parties, you wear something that you feel comfortable in. You dress up because it is fun and if you miss the theme a bit or some such, then it is the thought that counts :)

Precisely. No way am I coming naked with a basket on my head and a dead whale over my shoulder, however accurate that might be :WINCE:

I think half the fun wil be to see how people have interpreted each theme - there isn't a right or wrong costume for any of the parties, just what the theme says to you.

Im going for a bikini top, denim shorts and flip flops!

Someone be brave with me! I'm going all by myself as well! Haha.

xx

I'm being brave too, wearing a bikini top. But I'm wearing jeans though... I think. I /may/ go for shorts, but I have serious issues with my legs. :/

guys guys! look what i found!! heh!

http://www.allsaintsshop.co.uk/product/?se...d=5051214381114

its heck loads of money for a t-shirt but when i saw it i thought.... BEACH PARTY!! :D

x

If I was team Jacob it would be perfect . . . but I'm not lol I'm jeans and tshirting it with trainers thats how I rock the beach :D I'm from the North East out beach is always freezing! x x x

ok everyone am i the only one who seems to be wearing a little indian dress with feather jewellery, with ugg boots. It feels like everyone is wearing wellies and raincoats or shorts and t shirts. help help!!!!! :D

Here comes the lecture :P

I think very few people are going for a Native look because it's just not that easy to dress like someone from the Pacific Northwest tribes, as the Quileute tribe are. Technically, the typical buckskin dress, feathers and turquoise jewellery is the traditional dress of the Plains Indians, which are a world away from the Pacific Northwest tribes. The traditional image of the Indian (buckskin, war bonnets, painted ponies, tipis, hunting buffalo) that we get from movies refers to tribes like the Sioux and Cheyenne who were based in the Central United States, like Montana and Wyoming. A long way away from Washington State.

The Pacific Northwest tribes are based in far harsher climates like Alaska, British Columbia and of course Washington State, and in the past were primarily fishers. The Quileute were one of the few tribes who were serious whalers too. Because of the wet weather and the fact they spent most of their time in canoes or on beaches, in ancient times many Pacific Northwest tribes went pretty much naked, or wore very simple hats and skirts made from cedar bark. in colder climates like Alaska, they would wear boots made of seal fur. Quileute's wove blankets from dog hair to keep warm. Some tribes wore cone shaped hats hats which were woven like baskets. Their traditional dress is quite far away from that image of the Indian we get from movies like Dances with Wolves :( Their art is incredibly beautiful and quite similar to Maori art - for instance, totem poles are from this region.

These days, on a Pacific Northwest rez you are going to see kids wearing pretty much what any kids wear in the area - hoodies, jeans, boots. There is a tendency to demonstrate "Native Pride" on t-shirts though - like the Homeland Security shirt that Embry wears in the movie. Traditonal items are still worn for ceremonial events like potlatches (where a family leader hosts a big feast for the community with dances and song) - the most prevailant of which is the Button Blanket. A good reference point for the way that tribe members dress for ceremonies is the Seoul Mates episode of Northern Exposure - that ends with a ceremony which features traditional costumes and ceremonial blankets.

There you go - lesson over.

But I don't think anyone will be coming in a cedar skirt and a basketware hat that looks like a lampshade, so I wouldn't worry too much about whatever you have chosen. :(

wow you really thought that through i don't think that reason has anything to do with people dressing up like that i actually though as i say i plan to go native american the only reason i might not is the simple part of expense it costs alot more to buy a dress than it does to wear beach gear! i love that you thought it through but i doubt if anyone goes dressed as a native american princess anyone is going to say "oh dear that really is the wrong tribe" i love that people know things in that much detail but it just wouldn't affect me. and i don't think it has a bearing on what people wear in all honesty i think you wear what you like and if it's not perfect it's not perfect i mean the chances of everyone actually getting outfits that look like 1901 is slim most will be more 1920s but no one is going to be picky about it it's all good :)

if i can afford the dress i want i will be a native american :)

Edited by thewhiteladyofrohan

wow you really thought that through i don't think that reason has anything to do with people dressing up like that i actually though as i say i plan to go native american the only reason i might not is the simple part of expense it costs alot more to buy a dress than it does to wear beach gear! i love that you thought it through but i doubt if anyone goes dressed as a native american princess anyone is going to say "oh dear that really is the wrong tribe" i love that people know things in that much detail but it just wouldn't affect me. and i don't think it has a bearing on what people wear in all honesty i think you wear what you like and if it's not perfect it's not perfect i mean the chances of everyone actually getting outfits that look like 1901 is slim most will be more 1920s but no one is going to be picky about it it's all good :)

if i can afford the dress i want i will be a native american :)

It's not like I've done a huge amount of research on it for this party - First Nation culture is just an interest of mine. I suppose it's like anything you're passionate about - the differences are pretty obvious to me, like someone dressing in a tartan kilt and tam o'shanter hat for a England party :YAHOO: But like I said before, and you said too - it's totally not a big deal if people turn up in something that isn't spot on for any of the parties - I'm guessing none of us has access to a costume department :YAHOO: I'm actually hoping that some people do come in Native dress just 'cause it will make a nice change from the beach wear or anoraks that so many of us are wearing.