Harry Potter Release

Princess Hannah

For those who haven't seen it on the Harry Potter topic area, Apparently Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince has been moved back to Summer 09

""Warner Bros. has just announced that the release date for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been pushed back and will be released on July 17, 2009 instead of this coming November. This news has been confirmed to HPANA by Warner Bros.

Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. stated:

Our reasons for shifting Half-Blood Prince to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move Half-Blood Prince to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.

Jeff Robinov, President of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group, confirmed:

The release date change does not alter the production schedule for this or future Harry Potter films. Post-production on Half-Blood Prince was completed on time, and the studio’s release plans for the two-part Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be affected by this change. We know Harry Potter fans are eagerly anticipating seeing the final chapters unfold onscreen. In fact, the good news for them is that the gap will now be shortened between Half-Blood Prince and the first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

While producer David Heyman offered:

When Jeff Robinov explained the rationale behind moving the release date of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to July 2009, it was immediately apparent that this offered us the potential to reach the widest possible audience. I am extremely proud of this latest film and of the work of David Yates and our incomparable cast; I believe we have developed and pushed the series further still. We are all looking forward to sharing it with Harry Potter fans around the world, even if we have to wait just a bit longer.""

Edited by Princess Hannah

So gutted about this.....

I was so looking forward to the annual HP sleep over in London for the premiere!!!! Now we have to wait another year....

This movie better be awsome considering a 2 year wait......

Although a tad disappointing, I see this as being done for two reasons.

1. The merchandise sales would have been hit this Christmas due to the current financial climate.

2. With Deathly Hallows following on so instantly after Half Blood Prince, and it being in two parts, having a the last three films of the final two books closer together does make sense. Also, there must be a nice gap for the film to be released where it is not up against a major film where the crowds will be similar.

anyone else reckon it has anythin to do with them not wanting to compete against twilight? i reckon its a bit suss

I really don't think Twilight is going to be that much of a threat. It will be a big film but certainly nothing for Harry Potter to worry about. HP will be number 1 against pretty much most films.

anyone else reckon it has anythin to do with them not wanting to compete against twilight? i reckon its a bit suss

I really don't think Twilight is going to be that much of a threat. It will be a big film but certainly nothing for Harry Potter to worry about. HP will be number 1 against pretty much most films.

yeah i cant see it having anything to do with twilight, thats not released until january over here so wouldnt be competition n as already said HP would beat it anyways

personally i get the impression they've moved it coz they feel they would make more money with it being released in the summer next year than in november. i also think they haven't got a big summer block buster planned for next year and obviously they want to have something to release at that time of the year

The time of year is not the real problem with Harry Potter as they know it will make the box office money. If anything, a Summer release could be a bit damaging as people go on Summer holidays in this country. As I said the HP section, this seems down to them not having a major Summer release due to the Writer's Strike as the President of WB said.

It is a shame as I had planned to see this and now I have to fill the gap in November's film schedule. Oh well, 007 is out a few weeks before it anyway.

I was so looking forward to the annual HP sleep over in London for the premiere!!!! Now we have to wait another year....

This movie better be awsome considering a 2 year wait......

At least when its released next summer you wont freeze to death at the premire. And 2 yrs is not long to wait for a sequel at all...it's pretty fast in fact???

I can't understand this. It doesn't make any sense.

Hi LB..if you see the comments of the President of Warner Brothers he used the recent Writer's Strike as the main reason to move HP6. If you followed the Strike you will know that alot of films were delayed or postponed as the Writers were not working. Add on top of that the fact that the ongoing potential Actor's Strike via SAG, alot of films have stopped production or delayed beginning filming so that they do not lose money if a strike happens and filming has to be rescheduled.

With this in mind, he also stated that WB now had a major release for the Summer of 2009...an obvious result of the Writer's Strike etc..

Hi LB..if you see the comments of the President of Warner Brothers he used the recent Writer's Strike as the main reason to move HP6. If you followed the Strike you will know that alot of films were delayed or postponed as the Writers were not working. Add on top of that the fact that the ongoing potential Actor's Strike via SAG, alot of films have stopped production or delayed beginning filming so that they do not lose money if a strike happens and filming has to be rescheduled.

With this in mind, he also stated that WB now had a major release for the Summer of 2009...an obvious result of the Writer's Strike etc..

Thanks for trying to help me out here. I am so very disappointed regarding this news. I thought that the film had be finished tho.....

Edited by lovbug

Thanks for trying to help me out here. I am so very disappointed regarding this news. I thought that the film had be finished tho.....

It has, but WB have come out and said that they didn't have a major release for the Summer of 2009 because of the Writer's Strike, and thus have moved HP6. They are obviously happy for it to move from this Christmas.

"...we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film,

July 2009, it was immediately apparent that this (time of year) offered us the potential to reach the widest possible audience."

Summer releases generally fair better esp family films cos kids/students are off school and have all that spare time to attack cinemas and see the films multiple times. The only big (by HP standards) movie WB has next summer (that I can think of) is Terminator Salvation.

The argument that summer releases can damage a box-office gross cos people are on holiday isnt really true. Everywhere has cinemas and even foreign ones show Hollywood films in English (with foreign subs) plus big films last more than just a couple weeks of showing. If your nearest cinema is showing the film, you'll see it if you want to.

Dont forget that even though HP6 is pushed back, it means you wont have to wait so long for HP7 - the gap will be narrowed.

Edited by nicky

I understand the reasoning behind the move but I still feel that it is a big kick in the teeth for all the fans who were excited about the Nov release. A month or two wouldn't be so bad but 8 MONTHS!!!!!!!!???????????

I also don't give a stuff about it being brought closer to the release of Deathly Hallows. That film would be released sometime in 2010 whatever. (assuming that WB don't decide that it's too small a gap between films and put that back too!! Just to drag out the franchise)

I daren't say anymore. :YAHOO:

I understand the reasoning behind the move but I still feel that it is a big kick in the teeth for all the fans who were excited about the Nov release. A month or two wouldn't be so bad but 8 MONTHS!!!!!!!!???????????

I suppose they could have moved it to early summer instead in May but they chose July as that when kids (the core audience) are off school. Even so, 8 months is 8 months cos that's when summer/July is.