Olympics 2008

Daniel

It looks like it will be a bit of a fight for overall Third place in the final medals table. With Russia only 1 Gold Medal behind Team GB, it will all come down to who wants it more. SHANAZE READE is favourite to capture BXM Ladies Gold. TIM BRABANTS is the reigning European and World CANOE FLATWATER Men's K1 1000 Champion. SARAH STEVENSON took Silver in Athens, despite a broken hand, in the TAEKWONDO Women's +67kg class; and she is expected to go head to head with Chen Zong (Chn) for the Gold. DAVID PRICE has battered his way to contention for the Gold in the BOXING Super heavyweight (+91kg) division.

So, depending on what the Russians have left - and China and the USA seem to be dominating the Athletics - Team GB could retain Third place.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened in that women's 4x100m relay final? :smile:

I am finding the dropping of batons quite humerous. It is a shame for any team to do it at the worst possible time, but that is life.

Bronze for Super Heavyweight David Price who got a bit of a spanking from the current World Champion Roberto Cammarelle from Italy.

A Little information to everyone at Braehead Shopping Centre tomorrow:

The main BBC coverage will be showing in the Braehead Bar, its not too far from the arena and is next to the Pizza Hut.

The Women's 4x400m is at 13:40 and Men's 4x400m at 14:05. James DeGale's Gold medal boxing match is at 13:46. As this clashes with the relay finals, it will probably be shown in full straight after.

Good luck to James and the relay teams tomorrow and have fun in Glasgow everyone. See you in the bar :smile:

Sarah Stevenson, totally robbed in the Tae Kwon Do quarter finals - I'm really gutted for her :P

Not that I'm suggesting anything untoward, but I suppose it wouldn't do to have the Chinese competitor and two time Olympic medalist go out so early at the home games would it? :P

Edited by TeamGB

Sarah Stevenson, totally robbed in the Tae Kwon Do quarter finals - I'm really gutted for her :P

Not that I'm suggesting anything untoward, but I suppose it wouldn't do to have the Chinese competitor and two time Olympic medalist go out so early at the home games would it? :P

Assuming nothing untoward has happened, the only thing I can think of is that the judges simply didn't see it or didn't think it connected. For 4 judges (sitting seperately I believe) not to score means they all didn't think it connected. There was a meeting right after and none of the judges changed their minds.

Decision has been reversed - but then she lost in the semi's

Fair play to China though, sounds like they supported the appeal

In this instance they didn't have much choice. Whereas in yesterday's fiasco with Team GB's COOK, despite landing numerous scoring shots, the judges failed to register points. Unfortunately in that instance he didn't appeal.

It seems the Chinese team is coming under alot fo scrutiny as the IOC are investigating the true ages of 5 (FIVE!) female gymnasts after revelations over here on TV and on the Internet suggest one of the five may be 14 - 2 years under the minimum.

More medals with a Bronze in the K1 500m Canoe/Kayak for 1000m Olympic Champion Tim Brabbants.

And DeGale gets Gold number 19.....and Team GB sadly slipped to 4th after Russia picked up 3 Golds.

After so long in 3rd, it is that Phillips Idowu moment when he wasn't happy with Silver.

Team GB has done brilliantly and the majority of the medal winners should be avle to carry on to London in 4 years time.

Also, got to love Mayor Boris for getting in at least one "comment" whilst in China. I knew he wouldn't Let Have I Got News For You down for the next season.

Anyone see how crap we looked in the handing over of the games ceremony!!

Firstly good old Boris Johnson looked every inch the bumbling englishman in his open jacketed suit and inability to wave a flag. Then our little dance routine just looked and felt awful in comparison to what had come before and by comparison of what the Chinese did straight after it.

2012 is only 4 years away, i think we need 10 years to sort our acts out :)

• Moderators

To be fair everyone was having a problem with waving that flag. It got wrapped around one guy's head when he was handing it over so it wasn't just Boris - no matter how bumbling he is, it wasn't just him :D

And we had like 8 minutes didn't we? Compared to a massive budget opening and closing ceremony. All it was designed to do was give a slight feel and hint of what's to come in 2012 i.e. the message we're conveying etc. So it was always going to look low budget and slightly unspectacular as part of the overall ceremony. It's not really comparable.

In fact we won't even be able to compare our opening/closing ceremonies to what has happened this year, as they've already made it clear they don't want to 'outdo' it in terms of budget and spectacle - and as much as I've loved the Beijing stuff, I'm kinda glad London don't feel the need to go bigger and better. It's a crazy amount of money to spend to be fair, and we as a country would be feeling it for a long time after.

I'm hopeful for 2012 - mainly from an athletic standpoint, as I think we'll do fantastically. But also I think our approach to the games is wise, and we'll put on a great show. We coped with the Commonwealths just fine. We know what we're doing.

Anyone see how crap we looked in the handing over of the games ceremony!!

Firstly good old Boris Johnson looked every inch the bumbling englishman in his open jacketed suit and inability to wave a flag. Then our little dance routine just looked and felt awful in comparison to what had come before and by comparison of what the Chinese did straight after it.

2012 is only 4 years away, i think we need 10 years to sort our acts out :)

Impressive as the Beijing opening and closing ceremonies were, I would agree with the Chinese choreographer who pretty much said that you could only get such impressively drilled mass participation spectacles under a totalitarian regime. It's not our thing.

I actually joked with some mates after the opening ceremony that we couldn't do anything to directly compete with that, so we should do something completely different, like sticking the Rolling Stones on (as good old London boys, who are almost as old as the Olympics!). As such, I thought the Jimmy Page/Leona Lewis bit was brilliant; quintessentially British and a complete contrast to the Chinese spectacle (admirable as it was).

Thinking back to Brian May on top of Buckingham Palace, how about a big screen show rolling a riff round iconic London landmarks, played by great British guitarists? The likes of May, Beck, Page, Clapton etc one each on Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, St Paul's, the Royal Albert Hall... (Don't think there's enough space at the top of Nelson's Column). Fraught with technical difficulties regarding timing I guess, but it'd be pretty spectacular.

I think the only bad bit of the closing ceremony was the awful miming going on! There was no way it was just bad feedback- nothing matched up lol! But I guess it is expected as bad acoustics in that place... but still lol :poki:

Rest was amazing, and yay Jackie Chan :D

I know! Bless him, he rocks :D James just got me a few of his earlier videos (5 for £1 at a charity shop whooo) so I'm looking forward to seeing them soon :poki: (by earlier I mean Police Story era or before)

Mayor Boris is simply a real version of Mr Bean. He doesn't need to act. That is him and why he won over so many people in his campaign for London Mayor - well, that and to get Red Ken/Labour out :D .

As regards our 8 minutes, why show your hand when the main even is just under 4 years away? You give a tease, and I am sure there will be unofficially leaked teases to keep up the interest over the next 1000 plus days.

As others have said, and that includes the head of the BOA, IOC, Gordon Brown and Boris Johnson to name but 4, Beijing will be the last of this type of Olympics. No one, unless China or a similarly run country gets it, will be able to have something as wonderful as the 2008 Games. Watching Matthew Pinsent last night as he went around the Games listing things London needs to pinpoint for a successful 2012, you could see that China's dictatorship regeime made those games special.

London will probably be so different from anyone else. I think the 2012 games will be rather unique and something the British can be proud of.

Have to say that our 8 minutes was "typically British". It was brilliant - although I do have a problem with Beckham being the face of our Olympics when he's never actually taken part.

I'm going to have withdrawel symptoms tomorrow :D

Didn't we do well though - prospect of more golds in 4 years - maybe Showmasters should offer all our services as volunteers :YAHOO:

... but traffic etc in London will be mental!!

And the difference will be Lizzy? :P

Didn't we do well though - prospect of more golds in 4 years - maybe Showmasters should offer all our services as volunteers :YAHOO:

Don't give them ideas. :D

I'm going to have withdrawel symptoms tomorrow :D

Not long until the Paralympics.... :YAHOO:

Have to say that our 8 minutes was "typically British".

Very true. Lucky it's in London then!! :D

It was brilliant - although I do have a problem with Beckham being the face of our Olympics when he's never actually taken part.

Not to rake up the past :D , but he hasn't missed 3 drugs tests in a row and claimed forgetfullness :D - mind you, if he claimed forgetfullness, no one would say he was lying!! :YAHOO:

Also, Beckham is a worldwide figure from London. Most people know who he is.

Edited by Jonesy

• 3 weeks later...

Haha that just seemed so random having Jackie Chan in the middle of all that lot singing along. Yet pretty awesome :(

HUH?! jackie chan?! Damn my parents for calling me out to paint the shed :WINCE:

I missed that bit......

Lumme, that must be a huge shed if you've been outside painting it all this time :P