What did you think of todays talks

mulderandmonkeys

Having subjected readers to my thoughts on meeting the guests I thought I might bore you with mini reviews of the 3 talks I attended. Brad Dourif was great and I think his talk went really well especially as it seemed every question dealt with a different role or part of his career. It was great to hear he turned up at the Deadwood set expecting to do a couple of lines and David Milch told him it had been changed to a 4 page monologue and could he do it straight away or did he need some of the day to prepare. The next talk I attended was Jason Mewes and whether its part of his recovery programme possibly but when did you ever hear an actor talk with such honesty ( ie I can't remember making some of my films too much as I was smoking a lot of crack at the time ). I'm not sure I can reveal his scheme for making half a milion dollars after he found out Ric Soloman made $30 million from the Paris Hilton Sex tape !!!, I was lucky / brave enough to ask him the first question ( are shop workers ever disappointed when he does not curse or swear at them ) although I had to repeat it 3 times as he seemingly does not understand English when spoken by someone from England, his reply was honest enough in that he rarely gets recognised and when he is they say something like are you that Silent Bob character !, I can also go to my grave having been sworn at by Mewes whose way of thanking me was you've asked your question now sit the f*&% back down. His talk seemed to run a little short at around 20 minutes, I hope it wasn't cut off because of his langauge, if it was then if he ever comes back give him an 18 certificate warning and let him loose. My last talk of the day was Patrick Stewart and my over riding impression was if people thought the sound quality had been poor over the weekend then Mr Stewart showed a solid stage background overcame it, you could hear every word he said and he commanded the stage from start to finish even telling Sparks the MC who had called time that no there would be 2 more questions. The only person who even attempted to argue with Stewart was the Asian guy who seemed to use every talk to try and prove how clever he was, in my opinion it is rude to remind a guest a film got bad reviews as he did to Brad Dourif ( who gave the right reply a one word Sorry ).

Edited by mulderandmonkeys

Having subjected readers to my thoughts on meeting the guests I thought I might bore you with mini reviews of the 3 talks I attended. Brad Dourif was great and I think his talk went really well especially as it seemed every question dealt with a different role or part of his career. It was great to hear he turned up at the Deadwood set expecting to do a couple of lines and David Milch told him it had been changed to a 4 page monologue and could he do it straight away or did he need some of the day to prepare. The next talk I attended was Jason Mewes and whether its part of his recovery programme possibly but when did you ever hear an actor talk with such honesty ( ie I can't remember making some of my films too much as I was smoking a lot of crack at the time ). I'm not sure I can reveal his scheme for making half a milion dollars after he found out Ric Soloman made $30 million from the Paris Hilton Sex tape !!!, I was lucky / brave enough to ask him the first question ( are shop workers ever disappointed when he does not curse or swear at them ) although I had to repeat it 3 times as he seemingly does not understand English when spoken by someone from England, his reply was honest enough in that he rarely gets recognised and when he is they say something like are you that Silent Bob character !, I can also go to my grave having been sworn at by Mewes whose way of thanking me was you've asked your question now sit the f*&% back down. His talk seemed to run a little short at around 20 minutes, I hope it wasn't cut off because of his langauge, if it was then if he ever comes back give him an 18 certificate warning and let him loose. My last talk of the day was Patrick Stewart and my over riding impression was if people thought the sound quality had been poor over the weekend then Mr Stewart showed a solid stage background overcame it, you could hear every word he said and he commanded the stage from start to finish even telling Sparks the MC who had called time that no there would be 2 more questions. The only person who even attempted to argue with Stewart was the Asian guy who seemed to use every talk to try and prove how clever he was, in my opinion it is rude to remind a guest a film got bad reviews as he did to Brad Dourif ( who gave the right reply a one word Sorry ).

I do agree, we could hear everything he said but having sat at the back for the talk, I couldn't hear what questions were being asked.

Pete Postlethwaite talk was excellent thou :firedevil:

The only person who even attempted to argue with Stewart was the guy who seemed to use every talk to try and prove how clever he was, in my opinion it is rude to remind a guest a film got bad reviews as he did to Brad Dourif ( who gave the right reply a one word Sorry ).

That was me and I'm sorry it felt that way for you. How dare I try to argue with the great all-powerful-being Patrick Stewart? I wasn't trying to argue with him, I was just trying to get him to answer the question and play along with his jokey it's-not-sf arguement. I even said at the start that it was a hard question for me to put into words so just hoped he'd answer it. We all know X-Men is science fiction, he was just teasing. Even DavidB said to me afterwards that he liked my question and that he said it was sf too and Patrick was just joking around.

I thought the Geordie guy was argueing anyway, not I. And I had to sit next to him and he would not STFU throughout the whole thing, he was annoying everyone near him with his comments after nearly everything PAtrick said. Don't you remember he walked past Patrick at one point knocking the mic and then argueing with the staff? When he did ask his question later he just started talking s*** before he even got to it and you could see that the female staff member at the front to the left of the stage was getting pissed off and another crew member was even trying to get the mic off him.

I don't think it was rude to bring up the bad reviews that a film got, perahps you're being a little melodramatic? It happens all the time to actors even in interviews and I was trying to be serious about it, not mock Brad Dourif for it - he's a grown man, I'm sure he could understand it and it wasn't critically acclaimed, he knew that and he even told me at his desk, "I thought maybe it could have got alot more credit than it did".

I wasn't aware that it sounded as if I was trying to sound clever with my questions - I was trying to sound articulate though - perhaps it's just that I'm a very passionate film fan and I knew what I was talking about and wanted to be sure the guests and audience fully understood me. I've been told I have a posh accent though so maybe that's it and was trying to be articulate and clear. Some of the guests even said later on when I saw them at their desks later that they liked my questions which they said were poignant, intelligent and different from the usual fanboy variety and gushings, Brad Dourif included. A couple guests asked if I was a working in film myself too as a result.

In future though I'll consider dumbing down my questions.

Edited by nicky

Nicky, you don't look a bit like I thought you would! I thought it was quite funny when you asked your question, and Patrick seemed to be playing along with it. I also really enjoyed Pete Postlethwaite's talk, and the Peter Davison talk the previous day.

Nicky, you don't look a bit like I thought you would! I thought it was quite funny when you asked your question, and Patrick seemed to be playing along with it.

How did you expect me to look then? :rolleyes: Yeah , he kinda threw me a bit so was unsure about how to react to him. I wasnt sure if I should just play along with it or what but he seemed to be having fun anyway. I wasnt sure if he was even going to answer the question and wasnt sure why he wouldnt as it was pretty straight fwd although hard to explain.

Edited by nicky

Really enjoyed the talks of Brad Dourrif and Peter Postlethawaite’s.

The only issue I have with the Q&A format in general is that attendee asking the question should do so succinctly. It’s about the guest and not you.

Edited by Noddy

I enjoyed most of the talks I saw. I thought the heroes talk was a complete waste of time. he was unprofessional, had absolutely nothing prepared and just flew by the seat of his pants. He just didnt have the experience to do that and in my opnion it fell flat. I didnt see the Patrick Stewart talk, but darn I wish i did now. Brad and Pete were outstanding, as was claudia on saturday. the quality of the mike left something to be desired, sitting at the back I had to struggle to hear some of the responses. I saw the first talk on Sunday an although there were only about a dozen people there I was impressed with the answers to the questions. Rick was articulate and interesting to listen to. I have to confess I had no idea who Rick Yune was when I went in but I'll be sure to look up his new film (he produced and acted) The 5th Commandment. All in all we had a very enjoyable weekend. Thank you Showmasters.

Nicky, you don't look a bit like I thought you would! I thought it was quite funny when you asked your question, and Patrick seemed to be playing along with it.

How did you expect me to look then?:D

More like your profile picture! :thumbup:

I thought Jason's talk was excellent! He really held his own well considering he admitted to not being so good at them. I liked that fact we got to hear the video story from his side of things as Kevin said about it in one of his Q&A DVD's. He had some great stories and it just felt like he was talking to bunch of friends rather than fans, he was so open and accommodating. I would really love to see him come back but let's give him an hour next time! :D

Patrick's talk was fantastic, I absolutely loved him, he was so funny, and I loved that he joked around with the audience, he's a great guy.

I love Claudia Black's and Brad Dourif's talk as well, they were really fun and interesting to listen to.

Edited by Vitani

The only person who even attempted to argue with Stewart was the Asian guy who seemed to use every talk to try and prove how clever he was, in my opinion it is rude to remind a guest a film got bad reviews as he did to Brad Dourif ( who gave the right reply a one word Sorry ).

lmao, yeah that bloody Nicky asking them award/unusual questions :D

Seriously i think the questions asked by Nicky where great, its good when the guests have to take a second and think about there response because the question is a little more probing than usual. Well done Nicky keep asking them type of questions, you’re braver than i for asking them.

the talks i went to over the weekend were all great; Aliens, Claudia Black, Brad Dourif and especially Jason Mewes which was so bloody funny.

I have to agree with Nicky, the Geordie guy was a real pain at the PS talk. Kept shouting out and trying to get Patricks attention so he could make comments. I was sitting infront of him aswell.

I loved the fact that you had a mini geek-type argument with PS about whether X-men was sci-fi or not lol Didnt think it was rude just funny.

Jason Mewes was great, especially his reaction to a kid being there.

I thought Nicky's question was interesting and was a good one and not geeky at all unlike the Geordie's Shakespeare/Klingnon's question and that one about who would Patrick be out of Picard and Xavier in real life. :YAHOO: The way Nicky asked his questions in other talks, I thought he must have been a jounalist or was writing an article for a website or something cos it sounded like an interview type method of questioning.

Patrick had a tongue-in-cheek arguement about the X-Men not being sci-fi anyway, it was harmless and Patrick was just poking fun at nearly all the questiuons inlcluding this one. It was pretty funny, not rude :blink: I think the OP needs to chill out, he/she sounds like they're about 60 yrs old or something.

Edited by collector-man

The only person who even attempted to argue with Stewart was the guy who seemed to use every talk to try and prove how clever he was, in my opinion it is rude to remind a guest a film got bad reviews as he did to Brad Dourif ( who gave the right reply a one word Sorry ).

That was me and I'm sorry it felt that way for you. How dare I try to argue with the great all-powerful-being Patrick Stewart? I wasn't trying to argue with him, I was just trying to get him to answer the question and play along with his jokey it's-not-sf arguement. I even said at the start that it was a hard question for me to put into words so just hoped he'd answer it. We all know X-Men is science fiction, he was just teasing. Even DavidB said to me afterwards that he liked my question and that he said it was sf too and Patrick was just joking around.

I thought the Geordie guy was argueing anyway, not I. And I had to sit next to him and he would not STFU throughout the whole thing, he was annoying everyone near him with his comments after nearly everything PAtrick said. Don't you remember he walked past Patrick at one point knocking the mic and then argueing with the staff? When he did ask his question later he just started talking s*** before he even got to it and you could see that the female staff member at the front to the left of the stage was getting pissed off and another crew member was even trying to get the mic off him.

I don't think it was rude to bring up the bad reviews that a film got, perahps you're being a little melodramatic? It happens all the time to actors even in interviews and I was trying to be serious about it, not mock Brad Dourif for it - he's a grown man, I'm sure he could understand it and it wasn't critically acclaimed, he knew that and he even told me at his desk, "I thought maybe it could have got alot more credit than it did".

I wasn't aware that it sounded as if I was trying to sound clever with my questions - I was trying to sound articulate though - perhaps it's just that I'm a very passionate film fan and I knew what I was talking about and wanted to be sure the guests and audience fully understood me. I've been told I have a posh accent though so maybe that's it and was trying to be articulate and clear. Some of the guests even said later on when I saw them at their desks later that they liked my questions which they said were poignant, intelligent and different from the usual fanboy variety and gushings, Brad Dourif included. A couple guests asked if I was a working in film myself too as a result.

In future though I'll consider dumbing down my questions.

Hey Nicky I have been lurking around the forums for a while, and been going to cons run by Showmasters for the past three years. I feel I have to chip in to this thread because I for one enjoyed ALL the questions you posed at all the talks you were at, and looked forward to you getting up. I even guessed that you were "Nicky" from the forum when you started talking as I have noticed you're one of the most entertaining contributors on the forum over the years, and I was thinking that has to be the same guy!

Like you say, why shouldnt you ask questions about films that don't necessarily praise the film or the actors, after all, isn't it better to be honest and say a film is not well received, than to just say how much you loved it or the fans loved parts of it when you know for a fact that isn't the case? I also must say I liked you bringing up Nuke the Fridge and the Monkey moment for the Indy talk, it was cool for someone to put that to Karen Allen and see her reaction.

Anyway I only hope there are more people like Nicky at future talks to spice things up a bit and ask well thought out questions that actually lead to entertaining answers.

Oh yeah, and I have to take your side of the argument, X Men is science fiction!

I also would like to say the talks I enjoyed the most were Pete Postlewhaite, Brad Dourif, the Indy talk, the Aliens talk and Patrick Stewart, who actually justified the extra fee.

I would have to say I found Claudia Blacks talk the least entertaining, but thats mostly because I am neither a big Stargate or Farscape fan, nothing personal against her.

The only other thing I can say is it sucked that the John Hurt talk got cancelled as that would have been cool, but the quality of the ones I liked did make up for it.

The only other thing I can say is it sucked that the John Hurt talk got cancelled as that would have been cool, but the quality of the ones I liked did make up for it.

Cheers for your comments, Scott. If you'd guessed who I was you should have come say hello! I couldnt always be certain that people in the audience know what I'm talking about so feel it's necessary to make the question a bit clearer and give a bit more background info. And yes, the Karen Allen question was one I bet loads of people were wondering about, like she said, it's all over the internet anyway.

I too was really disapointed that John Hurt's talk was cancelled - it was cos so many people wanted photo shoots apparently. I would have asked him about his cameo in Spaceballs and working with Mel Brooks which I mentioned at his desk but obviously he couldnt have gone to great deatil about it as I'd have liked.

Edited by nicky

if i was that bad why did you not tell me the spam to shut up.and you would have had the gradatude of many guess

and nicky you did know me a few years ago and had meet up at MK a few times time

I'm usually the kinda guy that tells people to STFU in cinemas but you seemed a bit too weird for me and I thought you might cause a scene as you appeared to be loud enough to even talk like that to Patrick. I only wish the crew could have silenced you but not sure they knew what was happening. And I'm pretty sure I've never met you.