Collectormania Glasgow to be twice a year

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great news. Lets hope we get the big guests to go with this.

Yeah - It's awesome news if both events have the bigger guests we were promised "if there's enough interest".

Enough interest for two events says to me that there should therefore definitely be enough interest for the bigger guests from bigger shows and movies.

And honestly, if that's not the case, and I had to choose... give me one event with big names over two events with lesser-knowns, please.

But benefit-of-the-doubt being given as it is, I eagerly await the guest announcements for the December event.

I'm sure they'll be huge.

:P people travel from further than Wales! :lol:

FURTHER yes, but not as MUCH :P

Down south dont have to travel much due to events down there, the midlands get several events now, the north of england has manchester, and scotland now gets at least 2 events a year meaning they dont have to travel as much for once..but wales has nothing, so wether its north or south or midlands we still have to cross the UK to attend any of them ;)

Timewise too, no event is closer than 2 and a half to 3 hours for most of us in Wales (and thats just from cardiff central to earls court for lfcc, by car or train!)

I totally agree with you. As much as I want to, there is no way on this earth I am ever going to get to Glasgow as its too far. It would be great for a change if perhaps one event could have been held in Glasgow and the other in Wales as we have no Showmasters event as yet.

• Moderators

OK, but here's the main problem - Showmasters don't run events according to location to be fair to people etc.

Logically they need to run them where they know they'll be successful - hence why they've upped the Glasgow ones, and downsized the number of Manchester events. Obviously they believe this is a sensible business decision.

Why does there HAVE to be one in Wales? There doesn't. You get loads of people saying "oh I need one near me!" etc etc. Should there be one in Germany or in the US because overseas people have to travel a lot and it's unfair on them?

They're running two Glasgow events because the success of the last one has encouraged them to do so. This is a safer bet than doing another show in an unproven market.

we can have on in my back garden it's litraly next to the airport runway thers plenty of room and my mam will make you some nice sandwitches to keep you and the guests happy...

i like this plan. david you can even have the garden shed i will let you .....

yellow field of hayfever laden evil....and the runway...oh and a few horses ...i dont have a pond but i could make you one ...i do have some swings and a slide if that would do you for a little bit of light entertainment....

Wouldn't it be nice if someone tried one thou B)

Well yes, but since it's their money and their livelihood, you can hardly expect them to experiment with shows in places they think might not be viable but might be "nice" to have them?

So why not let that somebody be you? If you folks are so keen and eager to have a show in Wales, why don't you and crippsy and some of the other Welsh show campaigners club together, come up with a business plan, get a whacking great loan off the bank, and run your own show? Or maybe in a "hire the A-Team"-type twist, get a load of cash assembled and then try to persuade Jason to run the show with you underwriting a lot of the cost? Given that we're always being told that the valleys and mountains of Wales are stuffed full of people who want to go to SM-type shows, but can't get out of the Welshlands, presumably you'd be confident of turning a profit from holding a show in Cardiff or Swansea or Betws-y-Coed or wherever? And I'm sure that if you offered to underwrite say £150,000 of the costs (which obviously you'd get back from the entirely profitable show) then Jason might be jolly interested.

Otherwise I think it might be unfair to make demands of a business that you have no financial stake in.

:smile: people travel from further than Wales! B)

FURTHER yes, but not as MUCH :D

Down south dont have to travel much due to events down there, the midlands get several events now, the north of england has manchester, and scotland now gets at least 2 events a year meaning they dont have to travel as much for once..but wales has nothing, so wether its north or south or midlands we still have to cross the UK to attend any of them :D

Timewise too, no event is closer than 2 and a half to 3 hours for most of us in Wales (and thats just from cardiff central to earls court for lfcc, by car or train!)

What about the people that come from over seas?

Theres certainly a lot of hostility isnt there when it comes to suggesting a show in wales!!

Are you all racist against the welsh? :huh::lol:

As for someone mentioning Glasgow being more profitable than manchester events, wasnt that said about the first manchester one, which ever since has been falling in popularity?

Theres certainly a lot of hostility isnt there when it comes to suggesting a show in wales!!

Are you all racist against the welsh? :blink::poki:

As for someone mentioning Glasgow being more profitable than manchester events, wasnt that said about the first manchester one, which ever since has been falling in popularity?

Too muuch hostility me thinks :blink: .

You mean there are a number of people willing to point out the business shortcomings of such an idea? There's a certain boredom with pointing out again that "it's not fair, we have to travel a long way" is not a sound financial reason to "demand" a show (or dufresne and Queen Sindel would each have a show in their back gardens). The arguments have been put time and again, with regard to size of surrounding population and to a lesser extent transport to the area for non-locals. Those arguments have been made in regard of Cardiff and other venues that have been suggested. And so when such unrefuted arguments have to be put again, because people keep on asking for a show because "it's not fair" that they don't have one, perhaps a little of the politeness has been eroded.

Are you all racist against the welsh? :blink::blink:

Spare me. I now have a mental picture of Ali G saying "is it because I is taff?"

Hostility would've been "f*ck off you bunch of sheep shagging ****s!!" ... there's a difference between that and discussion ;)

Dolly's quite offended by that remark..

I quote: "BBBAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

:poki::YAHOO:

Are you all racist against the welsh? :blink::poki:

Spare me. I now have a mental picture of Ali G saying "is it because I is taff?"

It is innit! Tis like all down to I being a taffy aint it? Aight!!

has some deleted my post on using newcastle as a new collectamania venue

as us geordies wqould love collectamania to come to the city

I have no idea what has happened to your post, but New castle has been mentioned before. Here's some previous debate on the topic: http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1148106

And purely a suggestion, in no way meant as an instruction or order, might I suggest that since this is the Glasgow forum, suggestions of why SM should have events in Cardiff/Newcastle/Llandudno/St Austell/Ulan Bator etc are perhaps better posted in another forum? Perhaps "Other Showmasters Events" or "General Chat"? Just a thought...

Oh, fabulous. So now I have to travel so much more to get to the conventions if I want to go - down to London and Milton Keynes and up to Glasgow instead of there actually being one in my hometown more than once a year.

And I can't go to Glasgow anyway-- too much chance of meeting my ex (super-acrimonious break-up) because he works in the venue.

Yay for the people who ARE happy about this. I think it's nice for you.

i've sugested newcastle a few times but it isn't going to happen, there isn't the population desety enougth to make it substancial enough, there are venues and theire is the potential to make it work really well but its probably never going to happen.

invest in a rail pass and learn to sleep on trains, it's the only way to do it....

( writing this on the train on the way to yet another convention four hours away....whilest crossing the tyne)

And I can't go to Glasgow anyway-- too much chance of meeting my ex (super-acrimonious break-up) because he works in the venue.

Never heard of just ignoring them?? If people avoided certain places because they used to date someone who may possibly be there, then some would never leave their house!

i've sugested newcastle a few times but it isn't going to happen, there isn't the population desety enougth to make it substancial enough, there are venues and theire is the potential to make it work really well but its probably never going to happen.

And Milton Keynes does? :whistling:

Ok it may be an hour from birmingham or half hour from london, but collectormania is probably only held there as thats where showmasters is based, and they prob have some arrangement with thecenter:mk for events..

invest in a rail pass and learn to sleep on trains, it's the only way to do it....

What kind though? Im only aware of student and young person railcards which you can only get till your 25, senior citizen railcards for the elderly, family railcards where you can only use if theres 2 adults and 2 children travelling at the same time, disabled persons railcard, and for those in the south east of england?

People between 26-60 are pretty screwed over when it comes to discounts on rail travel.

Never heard of just ignoring them?? If people avoided certain places because they used to date someone who may possibly be there, then some would never leave their house!

And Milton Keynes does? :yoda:

Ok it may be an hour from birmingham or half hour from london, but collectormania is probably only held there as thats where showmasters is based, and they prob have some arrangement with thecenter:mk for events..

What kind though? Im only aware of student and young person railcards which you can only get till your 25, senior citizen railcards for the elderly, family railcards where you can only use if theres 2 adults and 2 children travelling at the same time, disabled persons railcard, and for those in the south east of england?

People between 26-60 are pretty screwed over when it comes to discounts on rail travel.

depending on what you do for a living you can get buisness grant rail cards so when my under 25 one runs out next year im going to apply for one of them ones, i currently have a unedr 25 a family and a health worker card for the north east plus if you book far enought in advance train fiar is really cheep even without a pass. london 10 each way if you shop around mk is 14 each way ....