Great atmosphere! aka What everybody liked or disliked about the s

Psychosis

Although I wouldn't want or expect the guests to act in character, I must admit that I would love "in character" photoshoots where possible. My favourite of all my 50+ actor photos is my Robert Englund one, where he's got the Freddy glove at my neck! I also loved a Zachary Quinto one I saw where he was doing the forehead thing. I think in photoshoots it would be a nice touch. Either way they're going to have to pose, they might as well pose in a fun way!

Edited by Psychosis

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant about slipping something easy on - obviously Robert can do it with the glove easily enough, but you wouldn't expect full Freddie makeup for example ;)

I guess it depends on who it is etc :P

ok im going to add my thoughts here.... i have attended many conventions by many organisers. I wont deny that this wasnt one of the best but the important thing is that lessons are learnt. My only majopr major gripe was the party. I'm sorry but i have paid my money to attend this con and to have the DJ playing music purely for his friends and crew and NOT the PAYING attendees and to then start moking people is disgraceful. Before anyone says why didnt you say anything at the con, I did.

I spoke with Mark and Jason on Sunday and they were both apologetic and aware that there were some unhappy people. They have taken what we have said on board and are going to be changing this factor accordingly.

This was a quiet con and there was an awful lot of downtime with not much to do. Maybe some thought could be put into the schedule to perhaps have something else going on whilst autos are being done. If it was possible to find another room you could maybe have a quiz going on (i kinow there was the paper quiz but this could be an interactive one) or maybe show episodes of Stargate or music videos for people to watch. Speaking on behalf of others who have been to other events there is more or less always something going on for you to do. I think this would encourage people to come as they would be entertained.

Just a couple of suggestions for you :)

They could've given Chris his staff :P He could just raise his eyebrow a lot and look mean.

Well chris judge said 'indeed' in his teal'c voice when he was signing his autograph for me which made me lmao ;)

Negatives:

1) Being embarrassed by my daughter in the Saturday morning talk:)

2) The very short opening ceremony and sitting in the 4th row because there was nothing or nobody saying that it was for Gold passes.

3)Too much time with nothing going on.

4)Despite being told it was a quite intimate con with so few attendees ...I still felt I didnt get a chance to talk to the guests.The auto and photo queues went through very fast.I have attended many cons in the past and have found even ones of 800+ attendees more able to have a chat with the guests.

5)Despite the revised schedule saying Michael would be signing 10-11 on Sunday,we got there at 1030 to be told it was finished.Already answered by Showmasters...thank you.

6)Not being able to see the guests on stage for the stage being too low

7) The DJ-I second ,third,fourth everyone else on this,worst parties I have ever been to at a con.

Positives

1) Meeting some new people and having a nice time talking to them

2) My daughter being a boogy baby on the dance floor each night:)

3)Spending time with my friends away from the con

Negatives:

1) Being embarrassed by my daughter in the Saturday morning talk:)

Positives

2) My daughter being a boogy baby on the dance floor each night:)

3)Spending time with my friends away from the con

No need to be embaressed she was just having a conversation with michael LOL

Boogy baby!! that she definately was :) :) :)

Friends!! *high fives everyone* thats what cons are all about making new friends and spending time with old ones!

Well, I do tend to get friendly with someone while standing in autograph or photo queues :uhoh: Had quite a good chat with people in some of them at the weekend. Even met Nikster :D:P

That'll be me!!!!!!!! Hello! lol ;):WAVE::WAVE:

• Showmasters Admin

All in all it was an enjoyable weekend and my first convention. However, I have to rate it by two aspects – Enjoyment and Value for Money. I spent over £800 on myself and my son. With 2 or 3 more guests I would have rated it “value for money†but not as it stood. Before I get any more “don’t be negative†garbage, please remember a forum is to express your OWN views. I fully respect other peoples – please respect mine.

To show my commitment I have already booked 2 x Gold for Chevron 7.2 in the hope that by including Atlantis there will be more scope to ensure more guests.

Good bits and not so good bits.

The drinks party on the Friday night was very good but needed to have been a longer. It was a struggle to get to speak to the guests as some people were hogging them for an inordinate amount of time. Next year 6 guests or more would need 2 hours and a much bigger (cooler) room.

Photo shoots were very good, with the guests entering into the spirit of things. However, I missed the Gary Jones photo shoot as it was on at the same time as a stage appearance. (My fault entirely as I assumed there would be more than one)! There was loads of spare time so I think such overlaps would be unnecessary for next year.

Signings were good and more relaxed as there were 3 guests there at the same time.

As a general point, there was a lot queuing for one thing or another. I noticed at least half a dozen people, if not more, with crutches or walking sticks. I would have thought that queuing for them would be very uncomfortable and you can’t drag a chair around with you. For next year the queuing system would be eased if attendees were given specific attendance times by range of registration number. Gold 1-20, 21-40 etc. (Just a thought).

Guests on stage. Don’t know what to say really. Everyone has his or her own views and preferences. The only time that I really felt I was at a STARGATE convention was when chatting to the guests during the Friday evening one hour party and when the Stargate music was played prior to a stage appearance. At those times I got the Stargate buzz, the surge of excitement inside that made your whole being come alive.

Some of the question and answer sessions were ok but some of the more outlandish exhibitions left me cold and I don’t want to even think about the final role playing – shudder. Absolutely appalling.

The Friday and Saturday parties were excellent. (Didn’t stay for Sunday) Can’t say much more. Good themes, well attended. DJ hopeless. Oh yes, would have liked more notice of the Themes to enable more time for costume making.

THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT – It was a STARGATE Convention. I would have liked it to have been more Daniel Jackson and Teal’c orientated rather than Michael Shanks and Chris Judge etc. Just imagine the reception if they had bounded up onto the stage dressed in their SG1 fatigues rather than baseball cap and hair band!!! The photo shoots with them wearing their gear – WOW! How about employing a presentation expert. A massive screen behind them with the Stargate on, Stargate trailers, the space battle - come on you guys be a bit more enterprising. In business I've done many and they are not difficult.

Last little bit – I have to rate Carmen Argenziano as the top guy. If he will excuse me – a real English Gentleman (rare these days), polite, knowledgeable and with a prodigious memory for names. Introduced on Friday – 300 introductions later he remembered it on Sunday. Made my son and I feel very special. Michael looked overworked and tired out. I got the feeling he had pushed himself to attend and I thank him very much for that. Chris was very laid back and jokey – all good fun but not once did we see Teal’c. It was a Stargate Convention after all!! Lastly, Gary Jones………Pass. Rather full of himself for my taste.

The above was meant as friendly, positive, constructive criticism which was meant to contribute to making 7.2 even better than 7. Also, well done to the crew for working so hard and so long.

P.S. £6,000 for a Chinese – impressive. I take my hat off to the ladies. I can’t see that being topped for many years to come. I hoped they realised they couldn’t take Michael and Chris home afterwards!!!

THANK YOU "Havanaman" for fair critersisom this helps us make it better next time we know it was not perfict but it is going the right way

as to "A massive screen behind them with the Stargate on, Stargate trailers, the space battle - come on you guys be a bit more enterprising"

i have one thing to say "YES" i agree but with the limited budget we had it was impossible to do more we lost money running the event as it was but were are committed to growing the event, when we have more attendees and guest we will have more available to spend on programing & content and we will put on more of a show for you all

also with footage there is copyright issues but as we are now working closer with sky we will be able to do more with this next time

so thank you for your comments and we are both thinking on the same wavelengths

thanks

jason

I'd like to add my two pennies worth here.

Okay, I did my first ever convention last year. This one was much more relaxed. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, it was a great idea having the Cocktail Hour, however, it did seem that some people got to spend a LOT of time with the guests, leaving others to miss out completely. Shame the guest encounters had to be dropped, I can understand the reasoning behind that, but IMHO they might have given more people a fairer chance - I know it's a tricky thing to maneuover the guests with it seeming like a cattle market, having experienced how it works at the food events and the other convention.

I heartily agree with the poster who suggested other things to do during the breaks - how about showing fan made vids if there are licencing isssues with showing the movies or episodes of the show :)

I know this was a learning curve for you guys, you did a great job, I thank each and every one of you. I hope the one in March is even more succesful - gonna be there if I can :)

re the DJ, yes that was a little bit of a let down, especially the lack of '60s' music in a 60s themed party, and how about a costume contest for the themed parties next time :)

It was great spending time with people I already know from the internet, and awesome to meet people I'd seen on other sites, meeting and 'geeking out' with fellow fans is such a huge part of the convention expereince.

The guests were awesome, and I can't thank Michael Shanks enough for having made the trip despite his pressurised schedule. It was a real treat to finally get to see him and Chris together on stage :) Carmen is always such a lovely guest, and Gary was hilarious :) I loved his impression of PDL - he sure nailed it.

I'd also like to say it was great to see JBC letting her hair down, her job must be incredibly stressful at times, she was awesome, and I think her little script shows how well she understand SG-1 fans *grin*

My friends I went with all also had a fantastic time, and I pass on my thanks.

Well, I think that's it. Ummm, why not have a suggestion thread for things to do between talks for the next one :)

Take care ya'll

Julie

EDIT by QS: Please don't mention other events here. Forum rules don't allow discussion about other events. Thanks again for understanding. :D

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Last little bit – I have to rate Carmen Argenziano as the top guy. If he will excuse me – a real English Gentleman (rare these days), polite, knowledgeable and with a prodigious memory for names. Introduced on Friday – 300 introductions later he remembered it on Sunday. Made my son and I feel very special. Michael looked overworked and tired out. I got the feeling he had pushed himself to attend and I thank him very much for that. Chris was very laid back and jokey – all good fun but not once did we see Teal’c. It was a Stargate Convention after all!! Lastly, Gary Jones………Pass. Rather full of himself for my taste.

After reading this, I couldn't help myself, I have to qoute Chris Judge "Teal'c is not real" :P

No, seriously, not trying to offend you or anything, hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I think it's a bit too much to expect to see "Teal'c" at the event. That would mean for the poor guy to be acting all weekend. Part of the fun of going to cons IMO is seeing how the guy behind our hero is. Like, seeing how big a difference there is between Teal'c and Chris. :) If you follow my line of thought :D

You've mentioned that at other events, there is a lot less downtime than at an ME event. I'm inclined to agree with you, but I think that it's largely down to the fact that Showmasters know how to run an auto queue. I spent over 90 minutes in an auto queue on Saturday at the other event and there was onyl 150 attendees doing autos on that day!

Ah but did you enjoy the other event? I spend most of the time queuing at another event (12 guests, 1 day)and missed most of the panels (which I will catch up on via DVD) but I expect that really. If you want autographs you miss out on panels. If you want panels you're either lucky with the autograph queues or miss them completely. Not everyone wants autos, photos, panels & partys.

Umm...no... not really... I thought it was very flat

Interesting to see how it compares to other events. One comment I'd like to make, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Convention organisers these days seem to think all people want to do on a night is party, party, party!! Well I mainly stay just on Fri & Sat nights now, cos I'm just not a party person and therefore do spend quite a bit of time in my room as has been pointed out here, I wish there was some kind of alternative programme for those who just don't like parties & loud music where you can't hear yourselves talk anyway.

Well I would say this particular venue was well suited for those who do not want to dance / would rather talk without that volume of music: around half the attendees were outside the door in the large bar area where they could talk easilly. Despite (like many others) not liking the DJ, the placement of the room with that nice area outside for the rest of us was a damn good place to sit, chat and make friends (or stand if like me your ridiculous costume came severly untucked every time you sit down...)

As for convention guests in character - I think Gary Jones may have had a limited conversation ability if he kept in character over the weekend... :D

• Moderators

Perhaps they could have a music request/suggestion topic before every convention.

That way they could at least have a vague idea of the kinda music people may want?

I imagine it's tricky to keep everyone happy :D

After reading this, I couldn't help myself, I have to qoute Chris Judge "Teal'c is not real" :D

lol, that was popping into my head as i was reading that!

After reading this, I couldn't help myself, I have to qoute Chris Judge "Teal'c is not real" :P

No, seriously, not trying to offend you or anything, hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I think it's a bit too much to expect to see "Teal'c" at the event. That would mean for the poor guy to be acting all weekend. Part of the fun of going to cons IMO is seeing how the guy behind our hero is. Like, seeing how big a difference there is between Teal'c and Chris. :) If you follow my line of thought :D

Hi Mara Jade, thanks for your response. I just want to clarify what I had written.

I would have liked to see the guys arrive on stage as "SG1" and at the photo shoot. Not dressed up the whole week-end. I chatted to many people there (admittedly mostly ladies) and they were VERY vociferous in their wishes to see "Daniel Jackson and Teal'c" as well as Michael and Chris. Don't think I would risk life and limb by asking Chris to shave his head but fatigues, a pair of combat boots and forehead sticker wouldn't be too much to ask as it would only be for a very short space of time! It was made abundantly clear to me by the ladies that the effect would be electric!

Don't think I would risk life and limb by asking Chris to shave his head but fatigues, a pair of combat boots and forehead sticker wouldn't be too much to ask as it would only be for a very short space of time! It was made abundantly clear to me by the ladies that the effect would be electric!

If a change of costume would sell more photoshoots I'd say it would be worthwhile. I noticed for the Star Trek Convention in the US over the same weekend - but cancelled at the start of the second day!!! - they had two of the original actors in full Klingon makeup for the first time in years.

I'm not going to comment on the toing and froing of what 'should' have happened at the weekend, but I just want to defend the criticism of Gary Jones if I can. I spoke to him briefly at the Cocktail party and he struck me as a very nice guy but one who was a little shy unless he was actaully performing. I think this is very common with performers - some are more uncomfortable on a 1-2-1 basis but are a completely different personality on stage (I guess they switch it on for stage and screen). Frankly, it must be pretty stressful for some to be suddenly faced with individuals in that sort of context. I thought he was lovely myself and as I have an extrovert side (although being naturally a shy person) I can identify with that.

I thought all the guests were great

I'm not going to comment on the toing and froing of what 'should' have happened at the weekend, but I just want to defend the criticism of Gary Jones if I can. I spoke to him briefly at the Cocktail party and he struck me as a very nice guy but one who was a little shy unless he was actaully performing. I think this is very common with performers - some are more uncomfortable on a 1-2-1 basis but are a completely different personality on stage (I guess they switch it on for stage and screen). Frankly, it must be pretty stressful for some to be suddenly faced with individuals in that sort of context. I thought he was lovely myself and as I have an extrovert side (although being naturally a shy person) I can identify with that.

I thought all the guests were great

completley agree with you about gary. he was an absolute sweetheart when we spoke to him. we got a good 10 minute chat with him and he was nothing but polite and totally on form. lovely guy.

Here's my thoughts on the weekend.

The guests were great as per usual, I've never met a actor off the Stargate franchise that has been in a bad mood or refused to chat yet and I love them for it.

Friday:- Registration was very smooth and easy no problems there. Welcoming the guests was very short could of done with being a bit longer. Why not try putting on a music video of the featured actor before they came on stage. Onto party at night, being the first night I wondered what type of music would be played. The DJ came around to some of the tables to see what we wanted played, so we told him what we would like. He played some good songs and a few "cheesy" songs as well. Left before midnight so don't know what happened after that.

Saturday:- Talks where great but a bit short as some people have mentioned. Got through photo shoots of Gary, Michael and Chris fine, but had a long wait for Carmen. Don't know what happend there but a announcement would of helped a lot. (Don't jump down my throat for saying this as I'm just giving you my own personal view of things.) Auto's through really quick even had time to ask Gary to do his "chair death scene". :D

So onto the Saturday party............. that is when it all really went bad for me. The feeling I plus many other's had was that the song's were for "The Incognito Boys" for a long time. And don't appreciate having the **** taken out of myslef and other's by the DJ. While up on the dance floor for one of the cheesy songs, I was hit in the back and went flying, he said sorry. But by the time I managed to turn back around I was promptly hit again by the same person as his mate had jumped on his back. No fault of Showmasters of course but please be more carefull as my back is still sore as hell, just think if it had of been a kid how hard they would of hit the floor.

Sunday:- Talks were great but a bit short, found I had nothing to really stay for so left at about 14.00 to go for a meal. Missed the last action on stage, but had to leave to go to work.

SO all in all a ok con, photo's and auto's went great. But need to do something inbetween talks. Nice to see you've looked into and are sorting the music situation out. Don't know if I'll be coming to Chevron 7.2 just yet, your right on my doorstep so no hotel bills for me.....

they had two of the original actors in full Klingon makeup for the first time in years.

That would be for the first time since last July. :unsure: *has done the photo shoot at another event*

Fair enough I don't follow Trek events. All I know they looked great. All I know is I would be moer likely to have my photo with Gowron and Martok than Robert & JG, I think the effort pays off.