Who's gonna try to attend PATRICK STEWART'S "TALK"?

nicky

Are you gonna try to attend PATRICK STEWART'S "talk"? Regardless of GOLD PASS  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are you gonna try to attend PATRICK STEWART'S "talk"?

• Yes and I'm happy to pay £20
    • I would BUT the £20 is a bit much so no.
    • NO INTEREST IN PARTICK STEWART/ NOT GOING TO LFCC
    • Undecided.

"An Audience with Patrick Stewart", however "ambitious" that title sounds (is it gonna be televised or something?), is a 40 mins talk with the man himself with freebies thrown in like a piece of the Enterprise bridge. The damage is £20.

Forget that it's included in the Gold Pass (that's TBC I think), would you pay £20 for it anyway?

I persoanlly am undecided as I'm not a "ST:TNG"fan but am of "X-men" movies.

If you're going, have ye got any idea of Q's to ask?

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

Yes, I've already bought a ticket. I'm very interested in hearing about his work, regardless of what he focuses on.

I'm hoping they'll have someone managing it and trying to get a diverse range of topics covered.

I'm not sure... I've been in an hour and a half talk with him before, and was lucky enough to ask him a qn and have him speak directly to me which was nice... I'm not sure if I could top that!

But he is a legend and I'd love a bit of the bridge (But how much is a bit? Like a bit of carpet fluff maybe or more?) But for me and the bf, who is more skint than me, it'd be £40... and if I just wanted the bit of bridge I may as well just pay the £35 lol.

So money and I'm not sure if I want to ruin my past exp in any way.... We'll see

Yes, I've already bought a ticket. I'm very interested in hearing about his work, regardless of what he focuses on.

I'm hoping they'll have someone managing it and trying to get a diverse range of topics covered.

Same thing here.

Actually he could read the phone book and I would have paid just because he's got such an immense stage presence. :stretcher:

Bought 8 tickets for my friends and myself yesterday. :D

I love Patrick! Saw him in Macbeth - so this is a must!

But to be honest - he is the only actor I would pay that much! Not even Bakula would be worth it ;)

There have been talks with "no photos" before, at the first G-Mex in Manchester if I recall correctly.

There'll always be a few sneaky ones who try, but most people do keep to that rule when asked and if there's a "no photos" rule crew usually keeps an eye out for cameras.

Besides that: Patrick has done other stage talks at other events and there was never a "no photo" rule in place. So I'd assume he only "hates" to take photos with people.

It absolutely IS included on the gold pass - I can't see where the uncertainty came from ...

Nor can I..... but just to clear up the issue:- I have spoken to Showmasters and they confirm that if you are a Gold Pass Holder you DO NOT need to purchase a seperate ticket for this talk. :D ;)

I got my ticket, any excuse to hear that man talk lol

And I get some cool stuff, so its good.

But the main reason is that I dont expect to be able to get his auto, after the crazyness of last time. Like John Hurt and Eve Myles at CM13, with guests I think I might miss out on auto-wise cause of queues I buy tickets to things that will let me meet or see them no matter what.

So I have a John Hurt photoshoot ticket and now a Patrick Stewart talk ticket. These are my two main guests at this event and Im garunteed to see both in some way.

Patrick Stewart is only at LFCC for one day and is sure to be hella busy - surly this will mean that some people will miss out on meeting him and getting an auto? I thought guests usually requested that they meet as many fans as possible or is he thinking that he'll make more money in 40 mins with a room full of people rather then 40 mins worth of signing time?

Eg. In 40 mins at his desk he could sign 40+ items. In 40 min during a talk he could have 100 people in the audience so I don't blame him for wanting to do the talk and charge for it cos he can. Plus it'll give him a rest.

Has any other talk cost this much before? I thought the most they were was £10. Even big stars' talks like Burt Reynolds were free.

I'm not complaining and I am getting there as early as possible - I'm just wondering cos I wanna be sure to get an auto on my X2 (2003) poster but realise my chances could be slim.

Edited by nicky

"But the main reason is that I dont expect to be able to get his auto, after the crazyness of last time. Like John Hurt and Eve Myles at CM13, with guests I think I might miss out on auto-wise cause of queues I buy tickets to things that will let me meet or see them no matter what."

That's my line of thinking too. Although I will try my hardest to get an autograph too, obviously. I think if you're a real fan of this man's work you're not likely to say no to this. Everyone knows how in demand he is generally and how busy he will be at LFCC. So although £20 is a lot more than you pay for most talks (ie. nothing) it's acceptable in this situation. I suppose it also helps whittle away the casual fans who would turn up at a free talk just out of curiosity. I wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing with other big name guests like Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen etc.

Edited by Metal Gear

So although £20 is a lot more than you pay for most talks (ie. nothing) it's acceptable in this situation. I suppose it also helps whittle away the casual fans who would turn up at a free talk just out of curiosity. I wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing with other big name guests like Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen etc.

But we're in trouble if Patrick Stewart is not the only £20 talk at this event. Maybe John Hurt - another well-respected veteran Brit theater actor will see this and demand he be treated the same if he does a talk? Maybe Malcom MacDowell too? Point being, Mr. Stewart may have inadvertantly started a trend of bigger guests now only agreeing to do talks for an extra price.

I'd have thought £5-10 would be enough to filter out the "casual" fans...isn't that the standard price for talks we've paid for in the past with that same (convenient) intention?

Edited by nicky

Yeah, good point. I suppose if that does happen the argument in defence will be just what I said - it limits it so "true fans" will be guaranteed a seat, it's better than no talk at all, it's at least a definite way to meet him and talk to him and you get a "free" couple of gifts.

Counter argument is what you said about starting a trend, taking him away from autographs, charging too much, limiting seats.

There have been talks for 10 pounds and 15 pounds before from what I recall.

But (and this is no offence against previous guests) none of these guests were of the calibre of Patrick Stewart.

There have been so many people asking for a talk last year. Now we are getting one, and still ...

Patrick is a very popular guest. He's only there one day. His talk is 40 minutes, for the free ones there was a maximum of 30. And as it has been pointed out, the talk will take away an hour of signing time. Also we are getting this little souvenir included with the ticket. I think it's a cute idea, and in a way certainly reflected in the ticket price.

Maybe that's my personal opinion, but I fully understand that this talk isn't free. It's an hour where no autographs will be sold, but still an hour they need to pay Patrick for.

This 40 minutes equals 40 items signed example is way off in my eyes, too. How long did he sign again last year? Like 3 hours? I recall seeing ticket numbers up higher than 600. Even with some people possibly have given up this is way more than the numbers you used as an example, nicky. And I am sure quite some people had more than one item to sign.

Other guests like Burt Reynolds that nicky mentioned have done two days at the show. (Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think this is the first time a guest only being there one day is actually doing a talk.) If a guest is there for more than one day, the crowd usually spreads out throughout the weekend.

Sorry, rant over.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

This 40 minutes equals 40 items signed example is way off in my eyes, too. How long did he sign again last year? Like 3 hours? I recall seeing ticket numbers up higher than 600. Even with some people possibly have given up this is way more than the numbers you used as an example, nicky.
I dunno, I didnt go last year - it was just a wild guess.;) But yes, I agree it's expected of a guest of his calibre and I didnt realise we'd had talks at £15 before so I guess this is kinda normal. Thanks for clearing it up.

Just bought a ticket. £25 inc European postage. :P Looking fwd to it.

Anyone got any idea of Q's to ask?

Edited by nicky