Request from people for next time - regarding cameras (beeping)

Babbler

I had the unfortunate problem if sitting behind someone who couldnt stop pressing buttons on their camera for the duration of various talks (although they werent in front in all talks). Why is this a problem you ask? Because they had beeping turned on on their camera. So it got REALLY annoying. Especially as it seemed they had to browse their entire memory card over and over - beeping at each picture!

Do they not realise how annoying it is - to the point where it destracts you and you miss some of the talk being annoyed by this?

There was plenty of time for photos at the start - I dont mind people taking photos during the talk either. Just PLEASE PLEASE turn off the beeping on your cameras. It can be done on most cameras and is just more respectful to fellow convention goers.

Sorry if this sounds bad - but it drove me up the wall! I wasnt close enough to say anything or I would have. People around them must have thought the same... :YAHOO:

Sorry - rant over.

Just so you know, my camera, does a beep when it takes a photo and is not able to be turned off.

Not everyone can help it ^__^.

Made me chuckle though as I could tell who had the same camera as mine as I could hear the same beepy noise when people were taking photos ^_^

Edited by Catmoo

I dont mind the occassional beep but this was maddenning! A beep every 2 or 3 seconds! And it was a camera - I saw the person doing it :(

Appreciate it cant be helped at times, but it did grate a bit...

Thanks for the apologies! I doubt it was anyone on these forums though as everyone here has some mannors! :D

mine makes a noise but i tried to cover it up when i turned it on but i didn't take any pics during the talk after the flash count down as my cameras rubbish sorry if it was me.

During the flash countdown is fine! Dont expect it to be quiet then!!! lol

I think ALL camera phones beep because of some agreement or law somewhere (prevents surreptitious pics from being taken in locker rooms etc). I never really notice noises from other cameras but I can't really comment on what the camera situation was like at this con as I didn't end up going. Obviously, many camera phones also have a video recording facility but perhaps that's an argument for another thread...

The thing that worried me this weekend as far as picture taking went is people sat in their seats trying to take pictures from where they were sat and being blocked by people in the front of them doing the same (or simply being too tall) and/or subsequently blocking people behind them. It'd annoy me if people in front of me tried to take pics throughout a talk (by holding a camera in the air to try for a clear shot) and I guess moreso if their camera made beeping noises every time a pic was taken. Like anyone with an SLR, my camera makes a physical clicking noise every time I take a shot so I try to minimise the amount of picture taking where it would annoy people. I guess a beeping tone would be more noticeable than a white noise click though.

When I go to a con, I like to go to the sidelines, take a few clear shots as the guests arrive and before they settle down for their talk and then go back to my seat to enjoy the majority of the talk. I don't really feel the need to take any further pics during the talk.

The few pics I have seen of the main hall seems to suggest it's long and narrow rather than shallow and wide. Would it have helped to have set the main hall out the other way round so that there were less rows but more seats? In addition, would slightly staggering the seating row by row have helped people see between people in front of them?

I think staggering the rows would have helped enormously. I had a gold pass and was on the second or third row for most of the talks, but still had a real problem seeing. For the final talk, I was on the 3rd row and yet couldn't see Christine AT ALL. A little 'clear air' would have helped so many people, not just those of us at the front.

I have to admit to being more than a little 'miffed' at the people that managed to hog the front row for every single talk. They were a large group and took all the prime spots. They should have given others a chance.

I think staggering the rows would have helped enormously. I had a gold pass and was on the second or third row for most of the talks, but still had a real problem seeing. For the final talk, I was on the 3rd row and yet couldn't see Christine AT ALL. A little 'clear air' would have helped so many people, not just those of us at the front.

I have to admit to being more than a little 'miffed' at the people that managed to hog the front row for every single talk. They were a large group and took all the prime spots. They should have given others a chance.

Did they just sit in the hall all through the event? :D

Did they just sit in the hall all through the event? ;)

lol, it certainly seemed like it :D

Yeah i remember them people because there questions kept being asked...wondered how they managed to get on the front row constantly.

I found that after the first few minutes everyone near where i was sittting tended to just put there camera down and watch so i didnt have any problems with arms flying around blocking my view.

Yeah i remember them people because there questions kept being asked...wondered how they managed to get on the front row constantly.

I found that after the first few minutes everyone near where i was sittting tended to just put there camera down and watch so i didnt have any problems with arms flying around blocking my view.

They camped at the doors so that when they were opened ready to let us into the hall, no-one else could get past.

My camera doesn't make beeping noises, but there is a sound made by it when the pic is taken. And I had to take quite a few as I'm quite short and people kepy moving in front of me. Also I thought that we we're only allowed pics at the beginning of the talks for all of them except the joint talk, didn't realise you could take pics if your flash could be turned off. So I made up for it by taking lots of the pics in the last talk, also quality isn't that good for distance pics on mine so a lot of my pics weren't clear. :WAVE: I never browsed through my memory card, my camera kept on going onto my saved pics automatically for some reason.

Edited by bonniesrg

Still dont think its that fair on other gold passes. Letting others have a go wouldve been nicer. But what can you do : )

You can get there earlier. There is no mystery about it, early bird catches the worm. I don't see how that's unfair to anyone.

Still dont think its that fair on other gold passes. Letting others have a go wouldve been nicer. But what can you do : )

If the other gold passes want front seats, they can dedicate as much time to it as the ones who got the front row did. I don't think they were having barrels of laughs sitting there for hours and waiting while everyone else was off doing stuff. You can't have it all ways.

i know that people were giveing pure.evil dodgy looks when she had her camera with her and that makes a shutter sound, im just jelouse that i dont have as good a camera lol :thumbup:

i know that people were giveing pure.evil dodgy looks when she had her camera with her and that makes a shutter sound, im just jelouse that i dont have as good a camera lol :thumbup:

That's okay, because her camera is dead sexy.

Who said camera phones cant have the sounds turned off due to legal reasons!? Where do some people get their info from!?

You can turn the sounds off all cameras; mobile's, slr's or whatever!! (I do understand with some you cant turn off the sound that proves a pic has been taken - usually the expensive, professional cameras!!).

If you cant find the option to turn the sounds off, then search more for it and you will find it. If you still cant find the option, then you either have a professional camera, a VERY OLD camera, a VERY OLD digital camera or you are a complete dunce lol!!

Ad