Request from people for next time - regarding cameras (beeping)

Babbler

Who said camera phones cant have the sounds turned off due to legal reasons!? Where do some people get their info from!?

You can turn the sounds off all cameras; mobile's, slr's or whatever!! (I do understand with some you cant turn off the sound that proves a pic has been taken - usually the expensive, professional cameras!!).

If you cant find the option to turn the sounds off, then search more for it and you will find it. If you still cant find the option, then you either have a professional camera, a VERY OLD camera, a VERY OLD digital camera or you are a complete dunce lol!!

Ad

Aye, I'm agreeing with this one, to pay my way through uni I sold digital cameras for a living, so played with rather a lot, compact and DSLR, and every compact one without exception could have the sounds turned off. Most camera phones will have the sounds turned off if you just stick the phone on silent, any others will have an option to turn the sound off. Some DSLRs cannot have sounds turned off (without ripping the speaker out physically) :D

All that said, I didn't hear a single one beep during any of the talks, I must've been so totally focussed on listening to the guests that I blocked out all extraneous sound :thumbup:

You can turn the sounds off all cameras; mobile's, slr's or whatever!! (I do understand with some you cant turn off the sound that proves a pic has been taken - usually the expensive, professional cameras!!).

You cannot disable the sound of the shutter on a camera with a real shutter (and a moving mirror as well on SLRs) because the quickly moving parts actually make that sound! On other cameras / camera phones that beep or play a "recording" of a shutter sound, the sound can be switched off.

It's like you can turn off the stereo in a car, but you can't "turn off" the sound of the engine!

Who said camera phones cant have the sounds turned off due to legal reasons!? Where do some people get their info from!?

If you cant find the option to turn the sounds off, then search more for it and you will find it. If you still cant find the option, then you either have a professional camera, a VERY OLD camera, a VERY OLD digital camera or you are a complete dunce lol!!

Ad

Aye, I'm agreeing with this one, to pay my way through uni I sold digital cameras for a living, so played with rather a lot, compact and DSLR, and every compact one without exception could have the sounds turned off. Most camera phones will have the sounds turned off if you just stick the phone on silent, any others will have an option to turn the sound off. Some DSLRs cannot have sounds turned off (without ripping the speaker out physically) :P

All that said, I didn't hear a single one beep during any of the talks, I must've been so totally focussed on listening to the guests that I blocked out all extraneous sound :(

Upon reflection it might just be a South Korean law regarding the beep on camera phones following a spate of complaints about peeping toms :) - my bad. I'm not even sure if all Samsung phones worldwide (for example) lack a silent mode for picture-taking modes on their phones because of this.

You cannot disable the sound of the shutter on a camera with a real shutter (and a moving mirror as well on SLRs) because the quickly moving parts actually make that sound! On other cameras / camera phones that beep or play a "recording" of a shutter sound, the sound can be switched off.

It's like you can turn off the stereo in a car, but you can't "turn off" the sound of the engine!

You can buy an SLR with a quieter mirror slap though ;) - it's not top of my list of must-haves when picking a camera though.

Nor mine! Mine isn't too loud though. Quieter than my previous one anyway. And the one I'm getting in a few weeks is quieter still.

Upgrading again Mr Morden? Which Canon this time? :-)

I'm keeping my 20D but getting a 40D. :(

Just a note on camera bleeping when turning on, or taking photos, if you read the camera guide. All the camera that i have ever owned you can turn the beeping off, even the cheap ones as far as I know. Hope that helps

Its gets back to the old story of people never reading the camera instructions manuals lol

Edited by Dixonhill