Suggestions for Next Time

emmangel

Here are my comments.

Having a question bank for when the room goes quiet is a good idea, maybe those shy people can post questions on the forum, so the moderator can use them when questions from the crowd die down.

The Moderator himself seem to be sucking out any excitement. Next time have additional moderators so he doesn't get tired. On several occassions he sounded bored!

Schedule

The schedule is good. Obviously if we know when we are to be places, then that would be good. However that point was made at the show itself, and was actioned on Sunday.

It would be good to have some additional 'filler events' whilst certain groups are collecting autographs etc.. If we have been put in to groups, lets use it for some competition or some fun games...or even watch some episodes of heroes!

Still enjoyed myself and met some really good people. :D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think the mobiles were really a problem? :D I had mine on (though I set it to silent). I guess part of the problem is so many people use them as cameras now?

Moblies switched on (even on silent) tend to cause a big poblem with equipment normally, and kill radio mics. I know they didn't use radio mics at this event, but they could still cause problems with other equipment. I know among other things it can affect the video recordings, depending on the type of equipment is used.

This may not actually be a problem for this event, but since it is for others I figured I'd mention it just in case.

I didn't think the mobiles were really a problem? :D I had mine on (though I set it to silent). I guess part of the problem is so many people use them as cameras now?

Moblies switched on (even on silent) tend to cause a big poblem with equipment normally, and kill radio mics. I know they didn't use radio mics at this event, but they could still cause problems with other equipment. I know among other things it can affect the video recordings, depending on the type of equipment is used.

This may not actually be a problem for this event, but since it is for others I figured I'd mention it just in case.

They DID use radio mics at this event! (The MC had one and the one at the back of the hall was a radio mic). I know you're not supposed to at other events, but I actually have a picture of another event organsiers, stood by teh side of the stage during a guest talk, whilst ON his mobile phone, so it can't be that big an issue with the mic!

I had a good time but just a couple of minor things that I felt didn't quite go so well.

First of all, on the website it it clearly states that flash photography would be allowed for the first 15 minutes and then no flash. That's fair enough and is common practice. But I was incredibly disappointed when they said it would be allowed for a minute or two only on Friday once there. I spoke to Mark or David (I think) on Friday and they said they thought that at least 5 minutes would be allowed but we consistently had 2 minutes or much less than that on one occasion. My flash takes at least 15 seconds to recycle and, as I very short, it was often quite difficult for me to get a shot due to all the taller people in front of me putting their cameras up etc. On one occasion, I got just one shot during the flash allowed part. One of the reasons I go to these talks (and why I bought a gold ticket) was so I can have the opportunity to take nice photos of the guests and the opportunities for doing that were very far between. If flash is only going to be allowed for less than a couple of minutes (literally), then it should be stated on Massive Events website.

The stage was too low. This meant that not only did I sometime have to dodge around a little to see the guests speak (and probably then irritated the hell out of the poor bod behind me) but other people in front of me did too (hence me need to bob around in the first place).

The no-holding seats rule was VERY badly kept. People blatantly broke it (I had a front row seat for one talk and gave it up for a photoshoot, only to find 3 people holding seats for their friends in the same situation) and I only saw 1 crew member ask someone not to do so. I cam across seat holding 4 times over the weekend and that is just plain selfish.

Queuing outside the main hall was horrendous. On two occasions people had started to form orderly(ish) queues on either side of the entrance but, closer to the time, many people suddenly surged forward to cover all areas totally queue-jumping, and also leaving no space for crew members to come and go. Queuing outside the hall was managed really well on one occasion with TooTall (I think) making sure a clear space was left in the middle and this worked really well indeed. I'd recommend they think about doing the same again in the future.

Bit obvious (am safety rep at work) but I do think the fire exits should have been pointed out at the start of each talk in the main hall.

Awful colour cast on my shots with Sendhil, Santiago and the group. I thought it might have been the lighting at first in that room but my shot with David was lovely. I don't think the map worked that well, unfortunately.

The DJ was also rude and condescending. Did not like him at all! Also could have done with one or two more con dances. Newbies seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about learning them!

Have already posted my thoughts on the disappointing cocktail party elsewhere (our group didn't get to meet a single guest!) so I won't go into that again.

Guest talks were too short on Sunday! I know CMT (con mean time) struck but I do think a bit of re-jiggling could have been done seeing how swimmingly Saturday went in the end. And I kind of missed having some talks with guests on their own. I like that. I would have given anything for Christine to have had an hour with us on stage on her own... Others have also said what I felt about the Q&A sessions and the question box. Good idea but too many of them. I think when they did open it up it proved that many people did have questions out there that they wanted to ask.

Final thing (and this is just me), whilst I imagine it gives the guests a great sense of security having minders there, and probably might get us a few that wouldn't ordinarily come where they aren't there, I felt incredibly uncomfortable having them so present. I don't know what it was and of any way around it but I felt just really unsettled and intimidated and I'm not quite sure how to describe it really. I think it was because they were so almost in your face. I'm sure they are present at other events but I have never seen them and much prefer it that way. It was kind of scary and I found myself tensing up at one point. Not sure if it was because I was subconsciously expecting trouble (miders are needed, must be something wrong - lord knows how my brain works *g*) or if it was their intimidating presence or what... And I have no solution but it did make me very uncomfy during the talks but that's just me and I'll have to live with it! :)

Yikes, that's a lot of (little) niggles so, whilst I do have others, I will shut up now! I actually honestly did have a lovely time and enjoyed myself and thought they did quite a few things right and sometimes better than elsewhere. Yes, I've enjoyed other events more but am prepared to give them another go! So, overall, a positive from me!

And on a final note, thanks to all who helped out over the weekend! Your work was much appreciated and I honestly cannot fault the crew, in particular one woman who was so helpful on Friday. Sorry I've forgotten your name but you were great :D

They DID use radio mics at this event! (The MC had one and the one at the back of the hall was a radio mic).

Ah, didn't have a great view so must have missed that.

I know you're not supposed to at other events, but I actually have a picture of another event organsiers, stood by teh side of the stage during a guest talk, whilst ON his mobile phone, so it can't be that big an issue with the mic!

I thought it was a well known fact that they ingore their own rules on a regular basis? :P

As for how big a problem it causes, I can't say. All I know is that it can cause a problem as I've seen it do so in the past. If Massive are happy with mobiles left on though, fair enough. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I would suggest however that people who do keep mobiles on in the future keep them on silent, as for nothing else it's polite not to interrupt the guest with the latest jazzy ring tone. :D

What on earth did you do to it? :o:o It was a sturdy card that held up perfectly for me, far better than any laminated card I've ever had, where the edges always end up peeling. I was really pleased by how well it held up :dance::YAHOO:

*blush* Was that just me then??! ;)

Seriously, green string was not my bag so it went into my pocket. Once I'd sat down a couple of times it was scrumpled (is that a word? It is now!) even before I spilled beer on it (ok, I admit that bit is my fault ;))

I did have the opportunity to talk to all of the guests, though it was a little rushed with Cristine at the very end. Not to sound patronising (sorry if I did!) but did you try to talk to them?

I did - managed to with all but David - it was a bit rushed for him :YAHOO:

i felt quite sorry for you, as i could see you being practically pushed away from christine XD *was standing with you*

The stage was too low.

I agree with this. I was only 5 rows back and am tall, but had trouble seeing on Saturday and on Sunday couldn't see at all. The fact that they were on low chairs didn't help matters. A slightly highter stage will help everyone, esp. at the back.

It'd also help stop people's cameras getting in the way. With the guests in easier view, people can hold their cameras at a much lower level.

The no-holding seats rule was VERY badly kept. People blatantly broke it (I had a front row seat for one talk and gave it up for a photoshoot, only to find 3 people holding seats for their friends in the same situation) and I only saw 1 crew member ask someone not to do so. I cam across seat holding 4 times over the weekend and that is just plain selfish.

At the ball, at the tables, I was desperate for ONE seat to sit down with for 5 mins as my feet were killing me (recent broken foot, having problems with it blah blah) but you wouldn't know that just looking at me, which is a problem.... but I went to one person, and they had an UMBRELLA holding 3 seats! Then people using bags, or sitting on 2 seats rather than 1. I sat next to my friends in the end as luckily someone wanted to go.

Since the foot stuff, I've been having a lot of probs with my muscles and put simply, I'm stuck in bed today with them throbbing. No complaints to the crew, as they, and TT, were really helpful. It was too many people bundling each other in a crowd for getting into talks and autos, and not being considerate to others. If the talks are by group name (which if any1 had noticed were actually alphabetical as opposed to numerical), people with high numbers have no need to push infront! For the closing talk, it was suffocating, and I HATE that ammount of people surrounding me, esp as i'm not particularly tall, and am armpit height for some people, which, at cons, is a really bad thing!

As I said, the crew were great... I just WISH people would gain some common sense and pure decency towards others :YAHOO:

Others have also said what I felt about the Q&A sessions and the question box. Good idea but too many of them. I think when they did open it up it proved that many people did have questions out there that they wanted to ask.

As a hardened con veteran I have to say I was actually very impressed with the way the Q&A's were handled and thought Paul did extremely well as the moderator. Having the questions screened in advance meant that the guests (all of whom with the exception of David were brand new to conventions)

had the comfort of knowing that they weren't going to be asked something horribly embarassing or awkward and the ability to ask questions anonymously allowed those who had burning questions but were too shy to ask in front of a hall full of people to have input as well.

Question and answer sessions are tricky - if you simply leave it to the audience to ask the questions you often have 2 or 3 people asking the same tired old questions to every single actor in each talk , and believe me that gets old very fast. You also run the risk of people asking embarassing questions (you may love all sorts of exotic fanfic - doesn't mean the actors are as amused by it as you are). And the absolute worst is when the actor says "any questions?" and all you can hear is crickets and the sound of tumbleweeds floating by in the distance.

All in all I thought the Q&a's struck a great balance between allowing the audience to participate and ensuring that the guests were comfortable and happy.

Final thing (and this is just me), whilst I imagine it gives the guests a great sense of security having minders there, and probably might get us a few that wouldn't ordinarily come where they aren't there, I felt incredibly uncomfortable having them so present.

Hey as long as it keeps them safe - doesn't bother me at all. I would rather there were too many minders than too few. I thought it was horribly disappointing that the guests were absolutely mobbed the second they appeared at the parties. I mean there were practically photo queues starting for each of them. They've given talks on stage, posed for photo sessions and signed autographs all day and yet people still selfishly expected more from them sticking cameras in their faces the second they appeared. So of course inevitably they left very very quickly.

It's very simple guys - if you put the cameras down, treat the guests with respect and talk to them like human beings they'll stay at the parties. Crowd them like a mob of rabid paparrazi and they'll be gone before you can blink.

All in all I did think it was fun weekend. As everyone has mentioned the lack of information on Saturday morning was a very foolish oversight (all it would have taken was for group names to have been printed on the schedule we were given in terms of who was having their photo sessions and autographs and all would have been well), especially at such a newbie heavy convention, the stage was indeed too low which made photos difficult but I think really my only main gripe was that there didn't seem to be much benefit to booking early. I was in the first 50 and yet only got 1 autograph on the Saturday as my group wasn't called for the other guests (it wasn't clear whether this was intentional or an oversight). This meant that although I had supported the convention from the beginning and along with the other early bookers provided the capital to get the guests in those who booked months later got most of their autographs before I did. That really didn't seem all that appropriate.

Edited by Persephone1

What on earth did you do to it? :o:o It was a sturdy card that held up perfectly for me, far better than any laminated card I've ever had, where the edges always end up peeling. I was really pleased by how well it held up :dance::YAHOO:

*blush* Was that just me then??! ;)

Seriously, green string was not my bag so it went into my pocket. Once I'd sat down a couple of times it was scrumpled (is that a word? It is now!) even before I spilled beer on it (ok, I admit that bit is my fault ;))

Nope - mine had creases in after about 1 hour. I did put it in my pocket when off to lunch and stuff though. Would have been nice to have laminated cards like at Celebration Europe - but that costs I guess which would be passed onto us somehow.

The piece of string was lame though... again probably just a first con thing. I hope!

Not many in the way of niggles - thought the whole weekend was outstanding!

BUT....I agree with the stage being too low...I was constantly sitting bolt upright to try and see over people heads and I wasn't that far back - all I really saw of Noah was his lovely hair.

....and not really a niggle, more of an observation - how rude was that photographer! I know he had to get through a lot of pics in a short space of time but he was very harsh! Nice to see David noticed aswell and made his little joke out of it on stage. ^_^

Did anyone notice that the main body guy looked like one of the gentlemen from the Buffy episode 'Hush' or was that just me : )

Like everyone, i thought saturday morning was a bit mad but thats understandable.

At the parties as well there couldve been a few more tables or something, i had to dump my shiz at the side a few times so i could dance without them, but then again i suppose it is first come first serve but a few mroe wouldve been useful to sit down at :)

Photoshoot Lighting – I’m not sure why all the lights in the photoshoot room were kept off, but all my photos suffered for it. There was visible noise on my photos (taking both days) and looked to have been adjusted afterwards because the photos looked to have been brightened and the blue levels fiddled with.

I do agree that there was something here, as the contrast of my Santiago picture is terrible.

Having a question bank for when the room goes quiet is a good idea, maybe those shy people can post questions on the forum, so the moderator can use them when questions from the crowd die down.

It would be good to have some additional 'filler events' whilst certain groups are collecting autographs etc.. If we have been put in to groups, lets use it for some competition or some fun games...or even watch some episodes of heroes!

Still enjoyed myself and met some really good people. ^_^

Why post questions on the forum when you can post them into the question box? :( I thought it was very well handled.

And I agree other things like the quiz would be a good idea. But Heroes episodes wouldn't be possible because of the broadcasting licences theyd need.

I had a good time but just a couple of minor things that I felt didn't quite go so well.

First of all, on the website it it clearly states that flash photography would be allowed for the first 15 minutes and then no flash. But I was incredibly disappointed when they said it would be allowed for a minute or two only on Friday once there. On one occasion, I got just one shot during the flash allowed part. If flash is only going to be allowed for less than a couple of minutes (literally), then it should be stated on Massive Events website.

I only saw 1 crew member ask someone not to do so. I cam across seat holding 4 times over the weekend and that is just plain selfish.

Guest talks were too short on Sunday! I know CMT (con mean time) struck but I do think a bit of re-jiggling could have been done seeing how swimmingly Saturday went in the end. And I kind of missed having some talks with guests on their own. I like that. I would have given anything for Christine to have had an hour with us on stage on her own.

I always thought saying 15 minutes would be a little too ambitious, and I always expected it to be that short. The guests will be blinded by so many cameras, and it can get distracting.

And the security is important to have as a clear presence. You don't need a criminal record check, or some form of Heroes fan licence *g* to go to an event, so anyone could buy a ticket, whatever their intentions.

I preferred the talks with the actors interacting with eachother. It made more fun than just listening to one person talk constantly for an hour on their own, as they feed off of eachother, and people such as Jessalyn, who was very shy, would find it so difficult.

I didn't like the Saturday night party at all though. Dull entertainment, and the same set as the previous night, which is why I only stayed for an hour, and even then I had to force myself to stay that long. Also, more arrangements could be made for the chill-out party on the Sunday night, as at first it was literally no music, nothing arranged.

I had a great weekend overall, and really enjoyed myself!! It was my husband's first ever con, and he enjoyed it as well, so obviously a lot of it was right!! These are some of the things I noticed over the weekend!

CREW

Firstly - I think the crew did an outstanding job!! The way that things got chopped and changed to iron out issues over the weekend, the crew must have been run off their feet with implimenting the changes, so a big KUDOS to all of them!!

TALKS

Secondly, I agree that the stage was too low, and that almost ruined the talks - thank goodness for the screen that enabled everyone to see the guests quite clearly! The MC did a great job, and I really enjoyed all the talks I went to - How grown up does Noah actually sound?! Amazing!!

SPOILERS

I had a gripe over the OBVIOUS spoilers, and felt really bad for those people that hadn't seen season 2... I know that David was a season 2 character, so he could only answer questions about it, but I think some of the questions were really mean to be asked - e.g. the first one on Saturday to David!!

Even Massive Events made a mistake by labelling one of the groups 'Adam's' as that isn't discovered until Episode 7 of season 2!! He should only have been called Kensei!!

PHOTOS

The individual photos were great, and I really enjoyed them. I know the photographer gets agitated when he is being rushed to take good pictures, and really think he does a great job, and mostly pays close attention to detail to ensure that everyone gets a good photo... He went out of his way to help a friend sort out a bad photo as well.

However, the group photo (whilst being a bargain price) was done terribly. I hated standing way in front of the guests as it made me really self-conscious. It also made me look HUGE in the photo, and kinda resembled being photo-shopped into the picture really badly. Would it really have made much difference for that cross to have been in the middle of the guests on the first row? And for the really tall people, so maybe have David stand in front so he could actually be seen??

I really do think that needs addressing before Eclipse 2, as I heard so many people complain about that experience and the photo at the end of it looking weird. £40 is still a lot of money to many people!!

PARTIES

The friday night party was the best con party I've EVER attended! Great music, decent band (though the lead singer's mic needed adjusted as it was hard to hear the lyrics) and an all-round brilliant atmosphere. I missed the opening bit with the guests at the start, and was disappointed that they didn't stick around for longer, but that's also understandable.

Saturday's party was the weaker in my opinion, as it's hard to really relax in all that formal wear. The music wasn't AS good overall (in my opinion) and I didn't dance because of it. More seats should have been available to those people who needed/wanted to sit down.

I'd also be in favour of a range of Non-Alcohol Heroes Punches... I can't drink as a) I was driving, ^_^ I'm pregnant, so would have loved to have been able to have some punch... thought it was supposed to be 'alcohol free' anyway ;-)

ECLIPSE 2

I'm really hoping I'll be at Eclipse 2, but it's still a long way off, and I can't afford the tickets right now, so I guess we'll have to see nearer the time. I'm really hoping Massive Events are able to get equally great guests for the 2nd time around, as all the guests at Eclipse 1 exceeded my expectations!!

Lizzi xx

Saturday's party was the weaker in my opinion, as it's hard to really relax in all that formal wear

Saturday's set was identical to Friday's set! I confess the band did nothing for me on the Friday night I thought they were pretty awful and the Michael Jackson impersonator was... well....different but the DJ played the same music on both the Friday and saturday nights. I wasn't overly impressed with the DJ - his song selection was extremely limited and he played far too many songs that it was impossible to dance too. I appreciate that newbies may not care for a set made up entirely of con songs but he could have played a wider selection of dance music and pop. Instead of filling the dance floor he kept clearing it !

Also nooone wants to really hear the DJ speak. Speak through your music and your set - don't keep switching the music off in order to be obnoxious about people's requests (90% of which he didn't have anyway!)

Some of the spoilers made me go :D and look around as well.

I know someone who was prepared for a few minor ones but some of the ones she did hear made her slightly annoyed as she hasnt yet seen it.

I missed the beginning of the first party as well. The guests were there? I had no idea haha, damn taxies.

Also nooone wants to really hear the DJ speak. Speak through your music and your set - don't keep switching the music off in order to be obnoxious about people's requests (90% of which he didn't have anyway!)

I know, he didnt have to announce mine. :(

Edited by mousybrown

my gripe about the punches was that they were 90% ice! My friends found me amusing trying to drink it I think!

Oh yea, the band Fri was amazing! Who were they? I saw the singer before hand and said I loved his shirt! (Big blink fan :D lol)

Edited by Lizzy

I had a brilliant time and I'd like to say a massive thank you to Showmasters and the crew who did a terrific job.

I don't think there were many bad points that the orgainisers could improve on, Saturday morning was a little chaotic, I think it would be a good idea next time to put the order the groups would be called on the schedule so everyone knew what they were supposed to do.

I really liked all the little surprises at the con, the band on Friday were very good and I was hoping that Cristine would open the Petrelli ball, I also think the hall looked great and the Michael Jackson impersonater was brilliant. I wasn't to keen on the DJ's choice of music but I did join in on the token 'con dances' I also really enjoyed the Petrelli punch! :(

Kudos to the girls who put the timeline room together, it must've taken ages and it looked terrific! :D

I thought both the photographers did a wonderful job, they seemed to really take the time to make sure I got a good picture.

I was so disapointed on Saturday when the guests arrived and got mobbed by people asking for photos, I would've liked to go and talk to some of them but I had no chance, although I can't blame them for leaving so soon.

Overall it was a terrific event and I hope I can come to Eclipse 2!

I thought the parties were fab and the Petrelli theme was awesome and that a lot of effort had been put into it so I’m surprised to read people didn't think much of it...the Michael Jackson impersonator on the other hand was not entirely to my taste - it was fun and i respected her efforts performing for maybe 2 or 3 songs but 15 songs or whatever it was were a tad too much...)

Also I did feel bad for the guests getting mobbed at the parties, so I left them alone! (I didn't even see David or Santiago there though bless them) Cristine was amazing (as she was all weekend)

The photo shoots seemed to be hit and miss for me - all my photo shoots with the lady photographer are really good and I like them – but all except my Sendhil picture (which was lovely) are pretty bad - the Group picture/ David picture/ Santiago picture.

David's picture was particularly disappointing for me as it was the picture I was most looking forward to and it’s my worst one! I felt it has too much background (I don't know why we didn't stand closer to the armour?) The lighting makes David look very red, as does Santiago because the room was black with constant flashbulbs - Day two lighting was SO much better...but the group photo didn't work as we were made to stand forward of all the guests and it looked and felt like we have been blown up & photoshopped next to a cut-out picture rather than getting the usual interaction. I don't mean to sound ungrateful by the way I just feel that it would be so much better if not done this way next time (my sister who got to stand back with the guest’s picture looked amazing)

The talks were brilliant, and I loved the question box idea - it made it great for shy people like me to ask questions, to avoid any really inappropriate things being asked and to move things along well - I have to say though the MC did a great job on the whole (it's not something I could ever do) but I think it would be better to change around the person asking questions a bit over the weekend so he didn't sound so tired by the end of it.

ooh and my one and final “compliant†was there needs to be some sort of way to queue better - gold tickets and standard were all mixed up to begin with - which was frustrating for both, as gold people felt they weren't getting the priority they paid for, and standard people felt like they were being pushed out of their spaces in the queues etc

This got better for photo queuing as the weekend progressed, but not for waiting to enter the talks (there needs to be 2 queues) For me it was a minor thing though as I got everything I wanted to and didn't queue for too long - but I noticed it did annoy other people.

On the whole as I have said elsewhere I had a fantastic weekend, probably the best con I have ever been to, I made lots of new fantastic friends and I have bought my tickets for Eclipse 2! :D