Anyone feel like Woody from Toy Story ?

dufresne

I'm absolutely not stirring here, I promise. But does anyone else feel like SMs have forgotten ... not so much Lockdown as an event, but Lost guests generally ? It's been ages since any were announced (for any show) and the Heroes guests keep coming thick and fast.

Two Eclipses a year, one Lockdown, and a smattering of Heroes guests across most "mainstream" events.

It might be seen as childish to cry unfair, and I love both shows as much as the next guy. Anyone agree though ? :chair:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely not stirring here, I promise. But does anyone else feel like SMs have forgotten ... not so much Lockdown as an event, but Lost guests generally ? It's been ages since any were announced (for any show) and the Heroes guests keep coming thick and fast.

Two Eclipses a year, one Lockdown, and a smattering of Heroes guests across most "mainstream" events.

It might be seen as childish to cry unfair, and I love both shows as much as the next guy. Anyone agree though ? :chair:

I agree that it feels like Lockdown has been forgotten, there have been loads of 'guests announced 8pm Tuesday’s’ recently but Lockdown is pretty much the only show to have not got one announcement at all. I know a few people who would buy tickets if just another guest or two was announced, it doesn't matter how big there role is in the show but just any guests would be good.

And there does seem to be an extreme amount of Heroes guests at the moment. It hasn't even been on TV here for a year yet and already a large percentage of the cast has appeared/will appear soon.

I wouldn’t say Lost in general is being ignored as it has its own con but Lockdown feels like it has been ignored.

• Moderators

If there were no guests AT ALL then yes, I'd certainly feel there was a problem. However, that's certainly not the case, and as for there being no Lost guests at other events .. well, it's often the way it occurs.

The events and types of guests are reliant on trends - you'll get your constant Trek/Star Wars etc, then you'll get mileage out of something like Lord of the Rings and most recently Heroes. You'll have people whos favourite shows or movies haven't been represented AT ALL, so it's just the way things are.

Why two Eclipses? Because at this moment, Heroes is pretty much the newest in-thing, and the popularity of the guests at other events has obviously convinced SMs that two events are sustainable. It's possible that there's not that belief with Lost guests/events.

As a Lost fan and Lockdown attendee, I'm primarily thankful that we've got an event AT ALL, and that we've got two stellar guests so far. As I (and plenty other attendees) know, getting guests isn't always easy, and there are many things that can hold up the system - agents, work, etc. I have every faith that it'll all fall into place though - it has in the past, and it's often been worth the wait.

I'm certainly not comparing it to Eclipse, as there's really no point. It'd be like comparing it to other organisers events - things DON'T and WON'T stay on an even playing field .. event organising isn't that simple or that nice unfortunately.

Agreed, at this rate it could end up with all of us getting hammered at the hotel bar.. mines a miller by the way..

I don't agree with that because even if it is just the two current guests it will be great as Henry is a main cast member and Andrew is just as awesome.

As a Lost fan and Lockdown attendee, I'm primarily thankful that we've got an event AT ALL, and that we've got two stellar guests so far.

I agree with everything you said there. But...

I'm certainly not comparing it to Eclipse, as there's really no point. It'd be like comparing it to other organisers events - things DON'T and WON'T stay on an even playing field .. event organising isn't that simple or that nice unfortunately.

I don't really agree with this part though. There is point as we are paying exactly the same amount of money as people who are attending Eclipse yet getting less for it, and it isn't really like comparing it to other event organisers con's.

But it isn't really the guest number that's bothering me that much. It's that SM seem to be a lot less enthusiastic about Lockdown compared to Eclipse and things like the party themes sorted for Eclipse but no for Lockdown. I know Eclipse is first but only by two weeks.

Edited by Lambourne

• Moderators

Yes, but you're not paying for announcements in a certain amount of time are you? Other event organisers do multiple events, and sell the tickets at the same time, but they're under no obligation to announce guests all at the same time etc.

It just doesn't work that way, and I'm really trying to be realistic about the way these events are run - I honestly don't think you're doing yourself any favours by thinking the way you do about Eclipse etc .. you only serve to make yourself more agitated I'm afraid.

Even when the lineups are complete - if Eclipse ends up with more guests, that's not something you can technically 'complain' about because you'll still be getting what you pay for as long as they provide on their estimates etc.

I take part of your point David, but I still believe that Lockdown and Lost guests generally are playing second fiddle to Heroes at the minute. Off the top of my head we've had seven Lost guests ever, and by C13 in the first week of May, we will have had 16 Heroes guests, plus two repeats (Pasdar and Takei) in a fraction of the time. I know selected fanbases have peaks and troughs, but until Heroes arrived Lost was the big thing ....

There is no guarantee that Eclipse and Lockdown will have the same NUMBER of guests, as guests will have different fees, and events will have different components, but surely Heroes guests are likely to be more expensive of teh two to book ?

We may not be paying to have guests announced in a particular timeframe, but there was once a little event called another show ....

It just frustrates me to see the last big fanbase overlooked in favour of the next one. I was rather proud of my Toy Story analogy !

I'm not going to preach on the fickleness of pop culture, but I stand by my point.

I wouldn’t say Lost in general is being ignored as it has its own con but Lockdown feels like it has been ignored.

:D Lost isn't ignored because it has an event, but the event is being ignored ???;)

Edited by dufresne

as i said in another thread like this, we still have 87 days to go

thats quite alot, and in that time we could have another 5 guests announced and eclipse only have another one.

showmasters may be focusing slightly more on ecplise at the moment, but thats because its closer.

once we get to a month before and we've had no more announcements, THEN we should start getting annoyed, but as said above, we have two brillaint guests already.

i see why people are bugged that we're paying the same price as eclipse but they have more guests... but thats just at the moment. give it time and we'll have the same amount or more.

sorry if i rambled...

Edited by Rodders

I agree with the OP.

And okay, Eclipse is first - by two weeks. Hardly a big gap.

I'm hoping that Showmasters have been working on guests who simply aren't ready to commit yet. Perhaps they will this side of Christmas, especially with no end in sight to the strike, and the high chances that they'll have to go on strike themselves in June.

Obviously Eclipse and Lockdown aren't going to be identical. But what frustrates me is the amount of announcements that have been going round recently - every time I hope we'll get one, and every time I'm disappointed.

Even an announcement like the party themes would be very cool.

I've heard season two of Heroes is quite poor / has not done too well in US, prehaps Showmasters are getting x amount of guests so we can spend lots of our money on them before we all loose interest with it and its not such a big draw anymore lol

I am booked for both and to be honest I don't think its probably as sold as well as the heroes con. Its a shame but yeah least we have some guests. In comparsion to the Heroes con as yet there is no where near a big draw matching Hayden etc, I only hope this changes :)

I've heard season two of Heroes is quite poor / has not done too well in US, prehaps Showmasters are getting x amount of guests so we can spend lots of our money on them before we all loose interest with it and its not such a big draw anymore lol

i think this is true, but i think its true for lost as well. I think alot of people have lost intrest in lost, so this is why for 'other' showmasters events they are prob concentrating on the current show of the moment-heroes.

• Showmasters Admin

Hi ya!

I just wanted to address this thread before it goes on too long!

I understand that from your view point it may look like we have 'forgotten' about Lockdown, however please let me assure you that nothing could be farther from the truth! :wub:

Sometimes it is just harder to get guests for one subject than another and that is pretty much the case here! We are trying really hard to secure several more guests for Lockdown but we also dont want to just get anyone we can. We actually have a fairly good idea of who we would like and so are working on them, but we can only go at the pace that they and their agents will allow. Having said all that, things are progressing now and I would hope to have a new guest or 2 for you in the near future! :wub:

As for other announcements, we will be letting you all know about the party themes very soon too. :P

I'm sorry that some of you felt we had forgotten you, and the event! We haven't and we value Lockdown and all of you that are attending as much as we do Eclipse and the people attending that! :D

Will be back to you soon with some exciting news :wub:

Mark

Hi ya!

I understand that from your view point it may look like we have 'forgotten' about Lockdown, however please let me assure you that nothing could be farther from the truth! :wub:

Sometimes it is just harder to get guests for one subject than another and that is pretty much the case here! We are trying really hard to secure several more guests for Lockdown but we also dont want to just get anyone we can. We actually have a fairly good idea of who we would like and so are working on them, but we can only go at the pace that they and their agents will allow. Having said all that, things are progressing now and I would hope to have a new guest or 2 for you in the near future! :wub:

As for other announcements, we will be letting you all know about the party themes very soon too. :P

I'm sorry that some of you felt we had forgotten you, and the event! We haven't and we value Lockdown and all of you that are attending as much as we do Eclipse and the people attending that! :D

Will be back to you soon with some exciting news :wub:

Mark

Cheers Mark, I think a comment was needed.

I understand the concerns of people in this thread, but sometimes, you just have to trust the promoter to deliver. Showmasters have a long reputation, so you know that they're not just going to run off with your money and you know that they are well connected in TV Land.

If I remember correctly, Lost started filming after most TV series, so was one of the last shows to be affected by the writers strike. This means it will be later before the cast know their availability. Heroes has already screened it's finale for this year, so it's cast are far more aware of where they stand and what they will be able to commit to.

I would expect some more announcments in the next month or so (don't forget, it's in SM's interest because each announcement is likely to have an impact on ticket sales.)

Much obliged Mark, thanks. I'm still hopeful that we can also see Lost guests across the Collectormaniae ( :wub: ) in the way that we are Heroes guests, but it's good to know that you are paddling like the clappers under the smooth surface of the water ....

From the looks of it, Lost guests are just harder to get over for a show unless they're killed off or something. Ian S and Maggie came after they were killed off... So did Dom recently... and William Mapother! The only other main guest was Jorge and hes not the 'biggest' main (so to speak). I couldn't meet Ian Maggie and Jorge, so I would like to see them again, plus the rest of the cast, and I'm sure SM are doing the best they can, although I can't make it to lockdown...

Hi ya!

I understand that from your view point it may look like we have 'forgotten' about Lockdown, however please let me assure you that nothing could be farther from the truth! :D

Sometimes it is just harder to get guests for one subject than another and that is pretty much the case here! We are trying really hard to secure several more guests for Lockdown but we also dont want to just get anyone we can. We actually have a fairly good idea of who we would like and so are working on them, but we can only go at the pace that they and their agents will allow. Having said all that, things are progressing now and I would hope to have a new guest or 2 for you in the near future! :(

Will be back to you soon with some exciting news :YAHOO:

Mark

:clap::clap:

thank you for this good new !!

I take part of your point David, but I still believe that Lockdown and Lost guests generally are playing second fiddle to Heroes at the minute. Off the top of my head we've had seven Lost guests ever, and by C13 in the first week of May, we will have had 16 Heroes guests, plus two repeats (Pasdar and Takei) in a fraction of the time. I know selected fanbases have peaks and troughs, but until Heroes arrived Lost was the big thing ....

There is no guarantee that Eclipse and Lockdown will have the same NUMBER of guests, as guests will have different fees, and events will have different components, but surely Heroes guests are likely to be more expensive of teh two to book ?

We may not be paying to have guests announced in a particular timeframe, but there was once a little event called another show ....

It just frustrates me to see the last big fanbase overlooked in favour of the next one. I was rather proud of my Toy Story analogy !

I'm not going to preach on the fickleness of pop culture, but I stand by my point.

:headscratch: Lost isn't ignored because it has an event, but the event is being ignored ???:headscratch:

Never thought id say this but I totally agree with you, the Toy story was pretty good :smile:

Edited by rich5wolves