location of weekend conventions

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, as a forum section has been made, it means the event will be going ahead :smile:

(Well, unless something goes drastically wrong!)

That's good news. Although I am still tempted to make myself completely skint and go to the March one! Especially since Zachary Quinto will be there. :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Northampton might be in the middle but it's costing me twice as much as MK costs for me to get there.

It also means that I have to get 2 trains and they don't run very often either.

The same thing goes for Coventry as well.

I'm confused, how can it cost twice as much to get to Northampton, it's only 2 stops away on the train! If it's going to cost twice as much, buy a ticket to Milton Keynes, then spend 7 quid for a train from MK to Northampton.

Also, at off peak times, there are 3 trains from MK to Northampton an hour, I don't see how you can say they don't run very often.

I'm coming from Leeds so I get the coach when I go down to Milton Keynes.

I'm getting train to Northampton because it's hard to get to and the coaches don't run at good times.

It would be a total pain to get a coach to Milton Keynes and then a train to Northampton as they are in different parts on MK and with luggage as well it would end up me having to get a taxi.

I'm doing the same as you - the coach gets to MK but we have to wait a minimum of 65 minutes for the coach to Northampton. What time are you getting the coach from Leeds? We could all share the taxi fare from MK coach station to the train station.

I'm intending to book the 12pm Friday coach, later today.

I worked out return train ticket will be at least £13 though. ^_^

I'd love a future event to be in Manchester. I have a direct train from my crappy little town and my friend lives in Manchester.

Edited by Lenatalia

For all those of you getting a coach to MK coachways, there are frequent busses to MK center/MK station from there, or a taxi only costs about 10-12 pounds to the center/station

there are many busses to northampton from MK center and they come about every 30 minutes, though i have no idea about trains XD

im taking the bus from MK and its only costing 3.50 one way or 5.90 if i want a return ticket :)

Edited by Emmeh

I know the venue hasn't been decided yet, but I suspect it will be Northampton. I definately wouldn't book anything until it's confirmed though!

But, I don't mind where it is held, since if I really want to go I will get there somehow no matter where it is (although please not Scotland :YAHOO: ).

Edited by Miss_G

Luton!!

Easyjet is there :P

Book a hotel in Luton for Eclipse 2 !

Surely less expensive than around Heathrow..etc..

With only ONE big drawback.....

Have you ever BEEN to Luton?!? :angel:

(apologies to any Luton-ites on here....... you have it tough enough already!) :D

But, I don't mind where it is held, since if I really want to go I will get there somehow no matter where it is (although please not Scotland :( ).

why not scotland

Because it's too far for the majority of the UK population and that means a scaled down event and fewer guests.

But, I don't mind where it is held, since if I really want to go I will get there somehow no matter where it is (although please not Scotland :dance: ).

why not scotland

Because it's too far for the majority of the UK population and that means a scaled down event and fewer guests.

That's right, and I live in Wales which would make it quite awkward/expensive for me.

But, I don't mind where it is held, since if I really want to go I will get there somehow no matter where it is (although please not Scotland :( ).

why not scotland

That's right, and I live in Wales which would make it quite awkward/expensive for me.

With respect, it's always going to be 'quite awkward/expensive' for people where ever it is (unless it's on their doorstep). It's a case of picking somewhere vaguely central, with decent transport links, with a venue big enough to hold it and somewhere that is convention friendly.

i know it's hard for everyone to get to anywhere easily but traviling 8 hours or so everytime i want to go to a convention is a nightmare!

even glasgow is a nightmare sometimes.milton keynes i've done a few times now...

but somewhere that was on a main train line or near a major airport would be easyer than somwhere difucult to find.

im from this country and northampton is difucult for me to get to let alone the mates i have coming over from germany and italy. at least english is my first language.

I would say that Northampton is on a mainline train route.

Although the faster trains do not normaly pass through, it is clasified as being on the west coast mainline.

It's just under an hour from either London Euston, or Birmingham New Street, if you get the right train.

Also if your mates are coming from Germany and Italy, why not see if they can fly into Birmingham International. They can then get a train to Northampton from there. As Tinker says the venue is not that far from the train station, nor is it from the bus station.

• 2 weeks later...

With respect, it's always going to be 'quite awkward/expensive' for people where ever it is (unless it's on their doorstep). It's a case of picking somewhere vaguely central, with decent transport links, with a venue big enough to hold it and somewhere that is convention friendly.

I agree.

Wherever is chosen its never going to suit everyone, unless we all moved to one mass town called showmastersville and held the conventions there *mind wanders* lol so in the end somonewhere central england (you cant really go wrong with putting in the centre!) would seem the most logical thing to do. I think B'ham would be a great option also, but then it comes down to the cost for the running of the convention but N'hampton (for E1 atleast) will be fine.

*ponders shomastersville for a while and then goes to play on sims2*

sigh!

to be honest i wouldnt go if it was in birmingham bacause it's not a city i would want to walk about in on my own, it was scary enougth when i was there with friends, this also goes for london fine when your with others but not so good on your lonesome.

i know i complaned about northampton origanaly but that was before i got my train tix ectra...

price wise if you do the maths its probably only 30 more than what would happen if it was on my own doorstep lol

I am going to add CARDIFF, WALES into the mix!!!!

and before all you English people hurl bricks at me ;) hear me out!!!

Cardiff has it's own airport served by BMI and BA amoungst others, located 30mins from city centre by bus

Cardiff has the CIA and the Millenium Stadium

Cardiff has hotels, bars, restuarants, pubs, clubs, a mall, shopping and 2 cinemas in the city centre

Cardiff is 2hours from London Paddington (direct)

Cardiff is about 3.5hours from MK (change at Birmingham)

Cardiff is about 2.5hours from Birmingham (direct)

true I have no idea which hotels could cater for 800 convention fans but surely some of them must :D after all the Thistle at Heathrow manages it and their convention room really isn't all THAT big :D

and no I don't live in Cardiff :P, I'm a Swansea girl (1 hour away from Cardiff, 3hours from London (more like 5), 3.5 from B'Ham, and 4.5-5 from MK but Glasgow was the best that was 9hours :help:)

Northampton may be on a "main" rail track but I have never gotten a train from B'Ham to London that has gone through NHampton!! and who knows why but it's a right pain in the bottom to get to from Birmingham as it makes you go to MK and change and it costs more (unless you come from London I imagine :P)

least with London it's often sooo much cheaper to get to as people can get ultra cheaper fayres on the NX and MB and, agreeing with Tommy, who ever has had problems getting to Heathrow isn't doing it right!!! they even have FREE BUSES that opporate on Bath Road! and if you don't like the tube, get the Heathrow Connect which goes from Paddington to Heathrow in 15mins or something!

only draw back from London is the cost of hotels! but seeing as my lot always cram a bunch of us in the room :YAHOO: heehee, it's not really all that more than most other cons/events

surfy sah xx

Northampton may be on a "main" rail track but I have never gotten a train from B'Ham to London that has gone through NHampton!! and who knows why but it's a right pain in the bottom to get to from Birmingham as it makes you go to MK and change and it costs more (unless you come from London I imagine :smile:)

Trust me, you have. ALL trains from London to MK go through Northampton. You might just be on the Virgin trains that just don't stop there. If you get a local train from Birmingham, it WILL stop there.

As much as I'd love the convention to be in Cardiff, as it's just down the road from me, I still reckon its been planned for Northampton at the Park Inn again. Which is fine, as it's fairly easy to get to by train and doesn't cost too much if you book early.

@ chris_mk - I said BHAM to LONDON not London to MK ;) and it would not have been a "local" train as the whole point of Virgin trains is to get there faster and avoid the "little stations" :thumbup:

@ luvbug - so don't drive? :angel:

@ Miss_G - not reaaaallllly suggesting they hold the con in Cardiff, was just throwing it out there as everyone else seems to be suggesting Northampton alternatives :D just love how you were the first person to mention Wales in the entire topic :smile: and how everyone thinks the "Midlands" is so easy to get to, Coventry is like 20mins before the MK stop if you get the train just seems the events could be a little more spread out! I guess the Midlands must be the middle of England as I'm sure it can't be the middle of the UK? :headscratch:

surfy sah xx B)

I don't think there is ever likely to be a con in Wales, sadly. The same as how lots of 'artists' (bands, popstars etc) conveniently forget us too!!

TBH Cardiff wouldn't be a good place as a lot of people would not come as it's pretty far from where the majority of people seem to be travelling from.

But as I said previously, if I really want to go to a convention or event, I will find the means somehow, no matter where it is.

@ chris_mk - I said BHAM to LONDON not London to MK :uhoh: and it would not have been a "local" train as the whole point of Virgin trains is to get there faster and avoid the "little stations" :unsure:

My bad.... although ALL trains from Birmingham to London Euston go through Northampton AND Milton Keynes (they just don't all stop there, though more stop at MK). Point being that you don't HAVE to change at Milton Keynes to get to Northampton if you take a slower train from Birmingham. Also, it won't cost you more if you DO decide to change, because you buy a ticket for the trip, they don't care too much how you get there. (In fact the local trains are cheaper than the Virgin ones.)

Well, this is what I think about this whole thing after reading all these posts;

Heathrow - it is expensive and can be VERY hard to get to.

Birmingham - around the National Ex. Arena area, quite good (had to write it like this because SM are petty when it comes to talking about anywhere that may even hint about a different event not organised by themselves).

Milton Keynes - I enjoy Collectormania, but it can get WAY too busy.

Manchester - Terrible for getting into the City.

Everything DOES seem to happen in the South of the UK.

Maybe it is because of the North/South divide that is STILL there and will always be there???

Why nobody has thought about holding a Special Event or something in Newcastle is beyond me.

The event could easily be staged at either the Metro Radio Arena, St. James Park (which has the biggest Meeting/Conference room (at a football club) in Europe), or even at the Hilton Hotel.

You can also drive straight into newcastle off the A1, get the train straight into the City Centre or fly to Newcastle Airport then get a train directly to the City Centre!

Newcastle also has the best night out . . . in the world . . . FACT!

There are some REALLY classy bars & restaurants to take the guests to also. You cant lose.

What really annoys me, however, is that things just dont get marketed as well up north as they do down south. That is fact. Ask anyone on this forum who lives up my way.

Its a huge shame, because Newcastle is one of the most vibrant cities going and those down south couldnt give a flying . . . er, I wont say that word lol!

Anyway, I think if Showmasters got someone to work for them who could market and promote such an event in Newcastle . . . they could be onto a winner.

Ad

Edited by Adz931