QUESTION: If a guest is having a photo opp does that mean...

nicky

Signing events are massively different to Conventions.

At a convention a guest is not sat behind a table signing all the time. There will be downtime in between them giving a talk, and posing for photo sessions (and doing autographs) to arrange for the photo session photos to be signed (although I've found that getting the photo sessions autographed at conventions as a matter of course is beginning to die out now as guests become more aware of the value of their signatures and less keen to give "free" signatures away).

I don't think it would be the remotest bit feasible at a Collectormania or LFCC event for the guest to sign every photo they had taken with attendees and if they did so the photo session prices would probably have to increase to reflect the fact that you're getting a photograph and an autograph.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know, is whats so different about a signing event to a covention other then guest talks and parties?

I mean the only conventions I go to, you get for your money a photo with a guest which is given back to you signed, why do they not do this at signing events? Is it just because of the time involved.

Because you don't get it back signed at signing events its one reason why I prefer over the table photos..

I go and get them developed myself then get the guest to sign them, either that day or the next day, at I think its more worth it to me...

I have always thought photo shoots at a signing event, were a bit of a con, but if people are willing to pay xxx amount for them, then who am I to argue...

B)

LLAP :D

Actually, you've been very lucky if all of yours have come back signed. I've been to a lot of different conventions and have 40 photos - only 6 of them are signed, and one of them is only signed because I took it to the autograph table with me. You certainly shouldn't expect that.

At a convention a guest is not sat behind a table signing all the time. There will be downtime in between them giving a talk, and posing for photo sessions (and doing autographs) to arrange for the photo session photos to be signed (although I've found that getting the photo sessions autographed at conventions as a matter of course is beginning to die out now as guests become more aware of the value of their signatures and less keen to give "free" signatures away).

I don't think it would be the remotest bit feasible at a Collectormania or LFCC event for the guest to sign every photo they had taken with attendees and if they did so the photo session prices would probably have to increase to reflect the fact that you're getting a photograph and an autograph.

I can see why its not feasable but can't see why they would have to have a big price increase to ever have photo shoot pics given back to the public signed.

We will just leave this as I think photo shoots are not worth it and I prefer over the table photos. I've only ever wanted photos from a few of the guests I've seen and they have all never had a problem with photos over the table, so I guess I must be one of the lucky ones.

I also could never afford a photo shoot ticket at a showmasters event, purley because I have to pay an extra £15-£20 to have my fiance in the photo with me, where as with other signing events (yes signing events not conventions) I don't have to pay that extra price, so thats why I have always prefered have a photo taken with a guest with them at the tables where there signing autos, it coasts less and I don't feel like I have spent £15-£20 to spend less then two seconds with the guests before they call next, for the next person in the que to come up to have there photo taken with whatever guest it might be...

But as I said before, there are always going to be people who will argue that they think photos done by a professional are much better then photos donw with a guest over a table...

Each to there own. It would be a boaring world if we all liked and did the same things, would it not?

:D

LLAP :borg:

• Moderators

Don't get me wrong, everyone would love something for free, but I think your expectations of what you want at these events are a bit too high, especially when a lot of people are happy to pay the prices set.

At the end of the day, it is a business and these signing events have huge costs compared to conventions - look at the limited number of guests you get there for example - and it's pretty clear to see that there's no realistic way of charging (or not charging in your case) the same as a convention.

Also, the whole thing about getting photo's back signed is contrary to the point of this thread!

People are already complaining that an hour of signing is lost for the photoshoot. Another 30-45 mins would be lost if the guest then had to sign all of those pics too! Fine at a con, when there's a lot of down time for the guests, but not at a signing event when they're permanently busy!

In my case, with very few exceptions, I'm not that fussed about the photoshoot. Purely from my point of view it would be a bit painful to be honest, and would feel 'false'. I can see both sides of it - if it's a person that you've personally admired (in whatever capacity) for some time, I can see the reason for wanting a photo as a piece of Collectables of you meeting them. But largely it's not for me.

I would actually rather have a 5 minute chat with them. Take Helen Slater. I'd much rather have 5 minutes to talk to her. Have a chat with her about her album, what she's doing etc. Almost like a speed date, and a little bell rings after 5 minutes, I make my excuses (possibly ruin it by kissing her and leaving my mobile number) and leave, and the next punter get's wheeled in.

My best experience at an SM event was meeting Karen Allen - she had a strangely quiet queue, so I wandered up, she put aside her knitting and we had a quick chat. It meant a lot more to me than a posed photoshoot picture ever would.

Ah, but how likely are you to be able to have a five minute chat with them? The most likely people to have photoshoots are the most popular ones, who are less likely to have the time to chat to everyone for a while. A photoshoot takes five seconds, they can please far more people that way.

Ah, but how likely are you to be able to have a five minute chat with them? The most likely people to have photoshoots are the most popular ones, who are less likely to have the time to chat to everyone for a while. A photoshoot takes five seconds, they can please far more people that way.

The problem is that this argument is an extension of the same argument that people use AGAINST photoshoots. Photoshoots take longer than autos, without a doubt. So wouldn't you please more people if you abolished them?

Jason has stated that Photoshoots allow the guest to make more money, meaning we have more chance of getting bigger guests. Fine. Therefore, I extend this argument in the following way : - if I'm willing to pay, say, £15, for a autograph from Helen Slater, maybe I'd be willing to pay £40 for a 5 minute chat? :D

Purely from my point of view the photo shoot would be a bit painful to be honest, and would feel 'false'.

That's what I was thinking, it feels kinda staged and not comforting to know the person next in line will get exactly the same as me. At least at the desk I'd likely be able to get a quick question in (so he'd have something to remember me by instead of feeling like random cattle) like I did Tarantino at HMV...I'd feel odd asking a question during a photo shoot if he'd be busy posing.

Edited by nicky

so if you paid more to have 5 minutes to chat, what about those that dont want a chat and only an autograph and therefore don't want to pay extra, or those that don't get either an autograph or a chat because of the amount of time it then takes to get people through the queue?

That's what conventions are for, signing events are just for autographs. We pay more for conventions so that we can have that extra time.

The problem is that this argument is an extension of the same argument that people use AGAINST photoshoots. Photoshoots take longer than autos, without a doubt. So wouldn't you please more people if you abolished them?

Jason has stated that Photoshoots allow the guest to make more money, meaning we have more chance of getting bigger guests. Fine. Therefore, I extend this argument in the following way : - if I'm willing to pay, say, £15, for a autograph from Helen Slater, maybe I'd be willing to pay £40 for a 5 minute chat? :unsure:

The only time that photoshoots take longer than autos is if people are signing autos at the speed of light - and we all know how much people whined about Shatner and Patrick Stewart going so fast. It takes two seconds to have a photo taken. Showmasters have even stated that they can get through more people in a photo session than an autograph session.

But the problem with a 5 min chat is that a lot of guests would then only get to see around 80 people a day. And if you've got VT #200 you get nothing at all!

That's why you'd have to pay more :)

You're missing the point though! I'm not talking about money. Say you're desperate to see a guest. You'll pay a million pounds. But you get VT #150 and the guest only makes #80 because they all want a 5 min chat. You get nothing. Nothing. Not a thing. Nothing. !!

A signing event is like what you have in HMV: You queue up say hello or get brief chat and get something signed and then that's it unless there's more guests to see. In other words literally just signing.

A convention is like what we have here: the same as a signing but with stalls, displays, events/talks and more importantly a place where fans from all over can gather together and geek-out.

Edited by nicky

But the problem with a 5 min chat is that a lot of guests would then only get to see around 80 people a day. And if you've got VT #200 you get nothing at all!

That's why you'd have to pay more :)

You're missing the point though! I'm not talking about money. Say you're desperate to see a guest. You'll pay a million pounds. But you get VT #150 and the guest only makes #80 because they all want a 5 min chat. You get nothing. Nothing. Not a thing. Nothing. !!

My comment was tongue in cheek of course (hence the wink)!

A signing event is like what you have in HMV: You queue up say hello or get brief chat and get something signed and then that's it unless there's more guests to see. In other words literally just signing.

A convention is like what we have here: the same as a signing but with stalls, displays, events/talks and more importantly a place where fans from all over can gather together and geek-out.

That's not what Persephone meant I think.

My definition would be:

HMV = Signing

Collectormania and such = Signing event

Eclipse, Lockdown and whatever the two question marks stand for = convention

The biggest difference between a signing event and a convention is that a convention is usually in a hotel and has a significantly smaller number of guests than a signing events. Also the emphasis of a convention is more on the Q & A sessions than on the autograph signing as it is with Collectormania.

Anyway back on topic:

I see that just over half of the guests are doing photo opps (nearly all guests who are priced £15+) which makes me even more worried now that I won't get an over-the-desk photo cos all my guests have a photo-opp. I'm worried they'll all do a William Mapathor and say "No, only if you buy a photo-opp instead".

Anyway back on topic:

I see that just over half of the guests are doing photo opps (nearly all guests who are priced £15+) which makes me even more worried now that I won't get an over-the-desk photo cos all my guests have a photo-opp. I'm worried they'll all do a William Mapathor and say "No, only if you buy a photo-opp instead".

I think that would be such a shame. I hope they won't.

Don't get too upset yet, some might be quite happy to do over-the-desk photos. I got one with Mads Mikkelsen at LFCC it wasn't a problem

• Showmasters Admin

I wanna meet George Romero who has a photo opp. Does this mean that when I get my auto I won't be allowed to have a pic with him there and then at the desk?

I met him before and he happily posed for pics

I checked the FAQ but didn't see this question.

This is answered in the TALK section of the FAQ :D

Does this mean I can’t take a picture of the guest during the autograph session?

No, there will be no restriction on taking posed photos at their autograph table because of the photo shoots. The photo shoot is purely an added extra for those that would like it.

There is of course the chance that due to time constraints or the guests wishes that posed photos will be stopped at their autograph table.

Obviously with the bigger guests there is a bigger chance they'll be too busy to do over-the-desk photos.

William decided that it was only fair to the people that had bought photo sessions that he didn't do them at the table. That was his decision.

GAR when I've seen him is VERY fan friendly and I don't see him saying no to it. He was very chatty at the FXShow with all the attendees.

Edited by Too Tall

This is answered in the TALK section of the FAQ :dance:

Does this mean I can’t take a picture of the guest during the autograph session?

There is of course the chance that due to time constraints or the guests wishes that posed photos will be stopped at their autograph table.

Obviously with the bigger guests there is a bigger chance they'll be too busy to do over-the-desk photos.

You may wish to edit or rephrase that part of the FAQ that I've put in red, based on Jason's post in post #34 of this thread, wherein he says:

listen we do not make guests not allow photos at the table it is up to the guest and it will always be down to them

ln fact i would prefer guests did take photos at the table as it takes only a little more tim, and if the guests are not crazy busy then it really does not make much of a difference at all

I think that's covered by the "or" part of TooTall's quote. :YAHOO:

I was trying to do SM a favour by taking some potential heat off them.

The FAQ says "due to time constraints or the guests wishes", suggesting that a move to no photos because of time constraints would be due to someone other than the guest, e.g. SM. Since Jason says "it is up to the guest and it will always be down to them", I thought it might save some grief towards SM on the forums (and possibly towards crew at the shows) if it was made clear that any time a guest is "no photo" it is at the request of the guest (or their agent).