Thursday Night Metting in London

lee_c00per

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a pointer if you haven't got Dave Prowses auto then I recommend you make it quite soon. I was talking to a friend of his yesterday and his hips are getting worse and he's in constant pain so may not do many more appearances. Also nobodies seen Kenny Baker for a few weeks as he's quite ill too.

Both Kenny and Dave were at Celebration IV. Whilst Kenny did appear quite ill, but did complete his full set for signing. As for Dave (who happens to be a good friend of ours), he was in great spirits and said he was 'very well' when we last spoke to him in LA.

I also agree that it is a shame that Jason is no longer involved in Celebration Europe - I know how much it means to him, and I can't help thinking that it's their loss (the CE organisers). Here's hoping for some great guests at the LFCC.

Obi

let's not write celebration europe off just yet,please.

and it doesn't matter who's behind organising it,does it? or maybe it does,to some individuals...

it's a star wars event,an official event,the first of its kind in the uk.

let's get behind it,not as lucasfilm-lackey wannabes,or as showmasters acolytes... and not as autograph mercenaries.

as STAR WARS fans.

if you really don't want to come,then fine.

but stop your whining.

and let us enjoy ourselves...

and it doesn't matter who's behind organising it,does it? or maybe it does,to some individuals...

let's get behind it,not as lucasfilm-lackey wannabes,or as showmasters acolytes... and not as autograph mercenaries.

as STAR WARS fans.

but stop your whining.

I AM GLAD THAT I AM WHINING :YAHOO::D:o:dance:

AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO UNTIL THINGS CHANGE WITH THIS EVENT................

Edited by LITTLEOBI-WAN

as STAR WARS fans.

but stop your whining.

Don't you think we have a right to air our concerns considering what we've spent/will be spending on this event?

Also, I think most people wouldn't be doing it here (the whinging) if Celebration Europe had its own forum - but it doesn't.

Finally, I have no real loyalty to Showmasters, but having attended a lot of events organised by different companies/people I can honestly say that their organisation, communication and obvious dedication is second to none. Showmasters are also happy to take criticism where it is due and encourage feedback from their customers, which is why I believe they are the company that give us what we want. They respect their custom base and deliver well organised shows.

And you only have to look at the quality of guests and the number of first timers these guys (SM) manage to attract in comparison to other events as an example of their expertise and commitment.

as STAR WARS fans.

but stop your whining.

Don't you think we have a right to air our concerns considering what we've spent/will be spending on this event?

Also, I think most people wouldn't be doing it here (the whinging) if Celebration Europe had its own forum - but it doesn't.

Finally, I have no real loyalty to Showmasters, but having attended a lot of events organised by different companies/people I can honestly say that their organisation, communication and obvious dedication is second to none. Showmasters are also happy to take criticism where it is due and encourage feedback from their customers, which is why I believe they are the company that give us what we want. They respect their custom base and deliver well organised shows.

And you only have to look at the quality of guests and the number of first timers these guys (SM) manage to attract in comparison to other events as an example of their expertise and commitment.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU 'Darth_Owl'

APART FROM ONE THING " I LOVE SHOWMASTERS" THEY ARE THE ONLY COMPANY IN THE UK WHO KNOW HOW TO PUT A CON ON :YAHOO::wub:;);););););););)

I guess that's the problem really - the amount of money that's been spent out and not much been confirmed. At most shows you tend to know a long time in advance who the guests are so can plan accordingly, not so with this event.

However as mentioned this isn't an autograph show and many fan groups who are having stalls / stands seem very excited about it so maybe we don't know half of what's going on. There is also the fact that Lucasfilm are pulling the strings and they aren't going to let the event fall on it's ar$e. Maybe there are some fantastic guests who cannot be confirmed until last minute? There are rumours about the man himself and a certain Mr Ford turning up as they'll be filming Indy 4 in London at the same time.

Also I for one am well impressed with the program cover which will be available as a poster so could provide that elusive all emcompassing poster to get sigs on.

I'm staying positive and looking forward to it and if it's putting people off then good - means less queueing for me!!

There is also much to do outside of the event - the exhibition and the concert on the riverside.

Darren

Showmasters could try and get the event next time round. As far as i am aware Cards Inc will not be able to do the next one becuase they are a part of Master Replicas and Master Replicas starting next year will no longer be doing products for Lucasfilm as it seems the 2 parties have fallen out.

Hope Showmasters can bag the show next time and really give us the BIGGEST gathering of star wars guests ever :dance:

I dont think CE is going to come close to being what CIV was. I have always looked at CE as being the very poor cousin (i.e. the one that runs around the forest in his underwear eating squirals).

Between Lucas and Cards Inc they are attempting to rip off the CE goers with highly over priced autographs. Look at it this way, Dave Prowse was only £15 at CIV! The organisers, flew him to LA, arranged all his travel and hotel and he was still £10 cheaper that he will be at CE! Just look at the other guests, most are between £5 and £10 more expensive here, yet they live in England (obviously only talking about the British guests). Thats crazy!

I can honestly see alot of people moaning about this show afterwards. Especially some of the Americans we talked to at CIV, they seem to have high expectations for CE!

Showmasters could try and get the event next time round

-who's to say there will be a next event?

if you and your ilk all choose not to go because of the over-pricing of autographs...the over-pricing of autographs???!!!,then i doubt that the poor attendance would warrant another official star wars event.

and while i'm on the subject... most of you on here are bitching about autograph prices this,and guest availability that,if that's all that you care about with regards to star wars,then bugger off to ebay and live your life out in the autograph section there.

of course,if you really do want some star wars autographs,then stop by our table at CE and you can have a signed star wars sketch of your choice for a pound.

so long as it's yoda,or boba fett.

Showmasters could try and get the event next time round

SM can do one when ever they like. Erm, what was Empire Days?

To do a licensed one endorsed by Lucasfilm is a whole different kettle of fish. Actually, when I spoke to Steve Sansweet last year about a UK version of C4 he was under the impression it was down to Titan Press

to push forward for a UK Celebration.

Master Replicas fell out with Lucas because they where asking too much during the recent contract negotiations for the up coming years.

and while i'm on the subject... most of you on here are bitching about autograph prices this,and guest availability that,if that's all that you care about with regards to star wars,then bugger off to ebay and live your life out in the autograph section there.

No need for your tone - most of us like to get autographs in person, that way we know they're genuine. I was looking forward to going but I've already met most of the people announced and can't justify the expense of the entry fee with what's on offer at the moment. Who knows, maybe they'll pull the cat out of the bag at the last minute, but judging by the announcement dates that have been given and then missed up to this point, I'm not holding my breath.

Showmasters could try and get the event next time round. As far as i am aware Cards Inc will not be able to do the next one becuase they are a part of Master Replicas and Master Replicas starting next year will no longer be doing products for Lucasfilm as it seems the 2 parties have fallen out.

Hope Showmasters can bag the show next time and really give us the BIGGEST gathering of star wars guests ever :blink:

The only issue I see with that is that this is a European event and not a UK exclusive. The rumours I have heard suggest that the next Celebration Europe will be held in Munich in 2009.

i really am lost with this event after speaking to nearly every guest at c4(including some of the behind the scenes guys that were giving talks etc) nearly every one said they were hoping to be at this event but were all waiting to be asked there was also a certain guest that was talked about earlier on (a dark side guest)a contract was even signed by this person but not with showmasters and not with the current guest organiser i really don't understand what is going on although nearly every sketch artist confirmed they will be there so that is a good thing :blink:

I agree they appear to be dragging there heels with announcements for guests and what is actually happening during the weekend. The first announcements for guests & prices initally I was like WTF but take into account the vast majority of us have met Dave Prowse loads of times we wouldn't be going to meet him (granted it is expensive for the first timers). There is still plenty of time for announcements and I am sure they will pull it off. As well all know when it comes to guests announcements they aren't done until the ink is dry on the contract. Also there is a lot more to the event apart from the signing hall also with it being held in London there is so much to do anyway apart from the event.

Lets not judge on what they haven't done yet and only on what they have done! In other words give them chance!

thanks,mightymax...

as for the other thing about autograph hunters... sorry but i've attending events over the last several years,empire days a-go-go included,and for the most part,they queue up with thier posters and bits of tat,get the autos they want,and then bugger off out of it. by late mid-afternoon,most of the events i've attended,the hall is almost empty...

there doesn't seem to be any sense of community,apart from people posting gibberish about flash-in0-the-pan cult tv shows,behind psuedonyms.

the europeans do apparantly know how to enjoy themselves,maybe the next event should be over there.

Several posts are having a dig at those of us that are moaning and looking at it purely from an autograph perspective. This is not the case. The autograph/meet and greet sessions, however, are a big part of it - if it wasn't, why do the organisers advertise it as being the largest ever gathering of Star Wars guests at an event in Europe?

My gripe is with the whole thing. We've paid out good money for an event that we know very little about. Yes, they have announced several elments of the show - but not enough to fill 3 days. Also, while they have announced some of the other things that will be happening (aside from the autographs) they haven't said where in excel these things will be, or indeed on what day and what time. How much notice will they give us with an itinery/schedule of the individual events? There have been very little in the way of announcements as to how the individual elements will be working, and for an event that has cost as much as it has that is now less than a month away, I find that very disappointing.

Now, let's compare that to the communication we get from Showmasters. When one of their events starts getting closer, we see announcements about the days and times of the talks, the photoshoots, the special promotions - we start seeing a plan by them so that we can in turn plan our weekend.

By all means, if I am wrong, and others do know the event schedule (or at least some of it) for celebration, please do point me in the direction and force me to eat a little humble pie...

i am now working on getting star wars guests for the LFCC and it is looking good we will keep you all up to date as thay come in

jason

I know it's hard to say at this early stage, but any chance the Star Wars guests could do both days? If I can go it'll probably be on the Sunday due to the aforementioned wedding I'm due to attend that weekend.

There is also the fact that Lucasfilm are pulling the strings and they aren't going to let the event fall on it's ar$e.

Or perhaps they will.

Here's one for the conspiracy theorists. Since they get moaned at by Europeans for only having Celebrations in the US, have one over here, and then when it dies on its @rse they can use the excuse of a combination of some or all of: cultural differences / difficulties of doing business in a foreign country / trying to organise something from a continent away / availability and willingness of US-based potential participants to travel / exchange rate problems or fluctuations etc to use it as an excuse not to come to Europe again and just sit in comfort on the ranch and organise stuff in their own backyard.

Interesting Theory ^_^ I won't be able to sell my tickets as they are apparently not sending them oout until a few days before the show. Means i will have lost £70 overall but i would rather cut my losses and not go.

Friday has been and yet nothing new has been announced. I really am speachless about this show.

How can they have let this fall on it's bottom so badly? Not just the autograph hall but everything else too. They haven't announced barely anything. C4 had announced everything down to the photos for signing over a month before the show.

Sad, Sad situation :D