Oversubscribed Photo Sessions?

ahh the power of hindsight.

I like the photoshoots, i like the quality of the image and i like the closeness compared to a photo over the table (i.e. lots of hugging from amber)

When i have less money i might like it less.... but i dunno. There are still some guests who dont have posed photos even if they arent doing a shoot. But overall, it seems to be the case so SM perhaps should jsut resign to the fact that if they have a shoot its seems unlikeyl they will have photos at the table.

Some careful thought and tinkering with the current system and it could still work well.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problems with my photoshoots. I think overall SM did a great job. I can understand why poeple might think that there were too many tickets sold but are SM not just trying to make as many people happy as possible? If they cut the ticket numbers sold for the photos in half, say 200 for each day, there would be 400 people on here kicking off because they couldn't get a photo! Make your mind up people! Loved my pic with Anthony head, got it back about 3 hours later. My Sunday shoot with James Marsters was perfect, got called back so I got to hug him twice! Keep up the good work SM, :thumbup: no matter how hard you try you will never please everybody.

! Keep up the good work SM, :thumbup: no matter how hard you try you will never please everybody.

The only reason people on here aren't pleased is because they could not get their photos back on the Staurday! It's not a matter of complaining for the sake it.

I dunno I mean yeah I had to wait 4 hours for my James photo but overselling isnt the case for the other guests, James was the only one to sell out so its understandable if his were late

The other photoshoots didnt sell out so I would say the problem on late photos would be down to the developer

I dunno I mean yeah I had to wait 4 hours for my James photo but overselling isnt the case for the other guests, James was the only one to sell out so its understandable if his were late

The other photoshoots didnt sell out so I would say the problem on late photos would be down to the developer

Quite correct - the photo-shoots individually ran pretty well within the times allowed for - although problems with checking in and out bags resulted in the layout of the tables being redesigned on Saturday night so that it ran more smoothly on Sunday than on Saturday.

Certain sessions did run late due to guests failing to get to the photo-shoot location in time. The reasons for this are mixed - in some cases, due to it taking longer than planned for to close down queues and move guests through a packed hall to the location.

The key problem was plain and simply down to the developer used on Saturday being unable to cope with the volume of photographs they had to develop, and getting more and more behind schedule during the day. The last packs of photographs arrived back at about 9pm, and some from that batch were collected then by visitors who'd decided to wait.

On Sunday, with a different developer being used, photographs came back within the planned timescales, and there were far fewer problems.

The key problem was plain and simply down to the developer used on Saturday being unable to cope with the volume of photographs they had to develop, and getting more and more behind schedule during the day. The last packs of photographs arrived back at about 9pm, and some from that batch were collected then by visitors who'd decided to wait.

So why didn’t anybody ‘manage’ this situation, if it was clearly getting progressively worse throughout the day?

‘Snappy Snaps’ clearly isn’t the only photograph developer in a shopping centre of that size.

Is it too much to ask for a ‘plan b’?

So why didn’t anybody ‘manage’ this situation, if it was clearly getting progressively worse throughout the day?

‘Snappy Snaps’ clearly isn’t the only photograph developer in a shopping centre of that size.

seeing as they didnt think that snappy snaps would cave so much under the pressue and had said they'd be able to cope - i think the 'plan b' which happened on sunday was justified enough. perhaps jessops werent able to take the work on saturday when things started to go wrong - if they already had a queue of work they couldnt just ditch their customers who they'd already taken work for. People get arsy about it, where i worked was a '20 min' service and STILL people asked if we could do it quicker!!

I like portrait shots, but even with landscape ones it would be nice if the photographer wasn't quite so close in on the faces! I'm quite short and the guests didn't really bend down for me (though I know they did for some people) but that's usually the case with anybody I meet and the pictures seemed unusually close up - you can't even see the top of my shoulders or any hint of what I'm wearing in my Charisma one!

Looks like SM used the same crap photographer they had a while back at the Elijah Wood photo shoot.:(

Malcolm is a very professinal photographer who takes pride in his shots. I'd like to see you do better with a simple digital camera.. !!

I like portrait shots, but even with landscape ones it would be nice if the photographer wasn't quite so close in on the faces! I'm quite short and the guests didn't really bend down for me (though I know they did for some people) but that's usually the case with anybody I meet and the pictures seemed unusually close up - you can't even see the top of my shoulders or any hint of what I'm wearing in my Charisma one!

Looks like SM used the same crap photographer they had a while back at the Elijah Wood photo shoot.:uhoh:

Malcolm is a very professinal photographer who takes pride in his shots. I'd like to see you do better with a simple digital camera.. !!

Indeed, a digital camera does not a photographer make!

and the pressure of 400 rabied james fans all wanting a fantastic photo in which they wish to molest james - if it goes wrong you'd fear for your life :(

Yes. It is - if by a plan b, you mean being able to plan for every possible failure by third parties. There is a limit as to which contingencies can be planned for - in this case a supplier had committed to do a job, and they found it took longer than was expected.

It was managed - discussions happened, and on Sunday a second supplier was doing the job. They did it better. I suspect they'll be the 'plan a' in future.

When the show is running, and the general pubic and the guests are in the hall, there are very few resources available to change plans at this sort of level. Volunteer crew can be reassigned to different jobs - and this did happen - but the event management people are already working full time. The old saying "the impossible we can do at once, but miracles take a little longer" is so true.

The last packs of photographs arrived back at about 9pm, and some from that batch were collected then by visitors who'd decided to wait.

See, I wish I'd been told this. My hotel was only 5 mins away from the shopping centre and I was categorically told that they would not be back that night. If I'd known they'd be available at 9pm I could have easily come back.

Then I asked whether, if I came early on Sunday (I had to catch a train at 10:30am) my photos would be ready then and again I was told no

So now I am without my Brandon photo and am being told, from the sounds of things, that it'll be weeks before I get it!

If we'd been told what was happening instead of being told to fill in a bit of paper and then go away there'd be less hassle for them now

The last packs of photographs arrived back at about 9pm, and some from that batch were collected then by visitors who'd decided to wait.

See, I wish I'd been told this. My hotel was only 5 mins away from the shopping centre and I was categorically told that they would not be back that night. If I'd known they'd be available at 9pm I could have easily come back.

Then I asked whether, if I came early on Sunday (I had to catch a train at 10:30am) my photos would be ready then and again I was told no

So now I am without my Brandon photo and am being told, from the sounds of things, that it'll be weeks before I get it!

If we'd been told what was happening instead of being told to fill in a bit of paper and then go away there'd be less hassle for them now

You were told exactly and truthfully what was happening at that time - at the time when the decision was made to ask for details to be left by people who couldn't pick up the photographs the following day, two things were known

1: That a lot of photographs were not yet printed

2: That at the speed they were being printed, many would not be printed by the time the developer closed for the night, and the centre was closed to the public.

On that basis, something had to be done to ensure that people who couldn't return the next day received their photographs. It was genuinely believed at that time that they wouldn't be available that night.

In the mean time, 'management' of the issue was happening, and arrangements were made so that the manager of the developers stayed until 9pm working his machines, and so that people who did stay could remain in one area of the centre after it was officially closed to the public. This took negotiation after the decision had been made to take details down on paper.

A small crew stayed behind, first chasing the remaining photos, and then replanning the layout of the photo area for the next day, to speed the bag-check/reclaim process, and rebalancing the crew rosters to avoid the problems that this could help with for the next day. We left the centre at about 10pm, having been on from 7am.

Edited by oldnick

I sense whatever people suggest about the decisions, or timing of them.

You’re clearly not going to be held accountable.

So let’s entirely blame the 'useless' staff at Snappy Snaps, because they don’t have voice on this forum. :P

Oldnick, you've clearly stated how the situation was managed after it was allowed to happen, which is all very well except you haven't addressed the fundamental issue of why the situation was allowed to, excuse the pun, develop in the first place.

I doubt an arrangement between Showmasters and Happy Snaps would've been agreed without Happy Snaps being told how many photos they would've been expected to develop within a certain time frame.

Given the complaints about the huge lengths of both the queues and waiting time for the most popular shoots, is it too much to postulate the theory that Showmasters misled Happy Snaps, deliberately or otherwise about the amount of developing which would have to be done?

You don't suddenly find you've oversold your photoshoots by, for the sake of arguement, 500 tickets without either some serious mismanagement or having done it deliberately.

If people didn't want to wait around for hours for the photos to be developed, why didn't they leave their details with SM?! That's what I had to do...

And on that note, does anyone (of authority) know when we will get them? I don't want to have to wait months, like I did for LFCC

So let’s entirely blame the 'useless' staff at Snappy Snaps, because they don’t have voice on this forum. :spidy:

Probably just the manager, not the general staff.

I doubt an arrangement between Showmasters and Happy Snaps would've been agreed without Happy Snaps being told how many photos they would've been expected to develop within a certain time frame.

Given the complaints about the huge lengths of both the queues and waiting time for the most popular shoots, is it too much to postulate the theory that Showmasters misled Happy Snaps, deliberately or otherwise about the amount of developing which would have to be done?

You don't suddenly find you've oversold your photoshoots by, for the sake of arguement, 500 tickets without either some serious mismanagement or having done it deliberately.

I dont know this for sure, but im guessing the biggest shoot was james - which sold out way before the event, and a ball park figure on the rest of the shoots. It wouldnt be in the interest of ANYONE to mislead the photographer because then all parties concerned would have egg on their face and get slated (as they have been). Why set your self up for a fall by misleading Snappy snaps so they wouldnt have the staff/paper/time/chemicals/capable machine?

If Snappy snaps have never had that volume of work in bfore, maybe they misjudged it. 6x9 in that quantity is not something you'd get every day and maybe they assumd they'd print as same speed as smaller sizes (a speed questions i asked when photo shoots first began - ie.if i was possible to get that volume through in that amount of time). I have no idea what machine they have, and that wouldg ive more indication on its ability.

So let’s entirely blame the 'useless' staff at Snappy Snaps, because they don’t have voice on this forum. :spidy:

I dont know this for sure, but im guessing the biggest shoot was james - which sold out way before the event, and a ball park figure on the rest of the shoots. It wouldnt be in the interest of ANYONE to mislead the photographer because then all parties concerned would have egg on their face and get slated (as they have been). Why set your self up for a fall by misleading Snappy snaps so they wouldnt have the staff/paper/time/chemicals/capable machine?

If Snappy snaps have never had that volume of work in bfore, maybe they misjudged it. 6x9 in that quantity is not something you'd get every day and maybe they assumd they'd print as same speed as smaller sizes (a speed questions i asked when photo shoots first began - ie.if i was possible to get that volume through in that amount of time). I have no idea what machine they have, and that wouldg ive more indication on its ability.

I think the main issue isn't even the fact the photos weren't developed but the LACK of information the fans got. I waited around for hours for no reason. It wasn;t a surprise that it was such a high number of photos, although was the reason Brandon Routh photo shoot never sold out because so many extra tickets were sold? I think its been mentioned before that there appeared to be at least 600 people in the queue for brandon routh photo shoot (I think someone counted). The fans waiting needed information!!

I don't think anyone should talk about scrapping photo shoots, as I said I have had two in the past (one with elijah wood and one with ian somerhalder- both of which I was delighted with). It was just saturday that was a supreme mess!

Oldnick, you've clearly stated how the situation was managed after it was allowed to happen, which is all very well except you haven't addressed the fundamental issue of why the situation was allowed to, excuse the pun, develop in the first place.

Think about what you're saying. Seriously, think about it.

Why would anyone mislead the processors? That actually makes no sense. It has only one outcome and that is to cause more problems for them in the long run. There is NO reason why they wouldn't want the photos ready in the same day.

Fact of the matter is that the photos just weren't processed early enough. Had they started processing them as soon as they got them, there would be no back log, which is what happened on sunday.

Now, i realise you're just here to pick on the fault some people are bringing up, but next time at least bring up an argument that isn't laughable. I mean, seriously, do you really believe anyone in their right mind would lie to the processors to cause themselves trouble.

Idiot.

Think about what you're saying. Seriously, think about it.

Why would anyone mislead the processors? That actually makes no sense. It has only one outcome and that is to cause more problems for them in the long run. There is NO reason why they wouldn't want the photos ready in the same day.

Fact of the matter is that the photos just weren't processed early enough. Had they started processing them as soon as they got them, there would be no back log, which is what happened on sunday.

Now, i realise you're just here to pick on the fault some people are bringing up, but next time at least bring up an argument that isn't laughable. I mean, seriously, do you really believe anyone in their right mind would lie to the processors to cause themselves trouble.

Idiot.

Dude, there's no need to make this personal, calling someone an Idiot is not cool.

If you read my initial thread starting post I was clearly posing a question.

Since then this thread has turned decidedly ugly with blame being thrown at everyone from the Showmasters Dog to the Snappy Snaps Budgie with a bit of slagging of Malcolm for good measure.

My inital question was - had SM underestimated the popularity of the photo sessions and should they invest in the leasing of some high speed photo printers? Not - I'm naffed off because I haven't got my photos who can I shout at like a whiney brat?

Showmasters WILL ensure that that we get our photos and let's be honest. With the amount of photos that are no doubt left over it's going to be a right pain in the backside for THEM to match the photos with the description and post them out.

Perhaps another alternative (and cheaper method) might be for them to ask which forum members haven't got their photos - take the details and have Malcolm e-mail the actual raw file directly to them. That was you can print it out whatever size you want, gloss or matt and won't have to worry about it getting lost in the post.

It's what I would do anyhow.

BTW - Is anyone else having major problems with getting onto the forum itself? I can only seem to access the most recent thread and even that's touch and go.

• Moderators

Dude, there's no need to make this personal, calling someone an Idiot is not cool.

Some people are evidently frustrated by the same people coming on here to blame Showmasters for stuff that (a.) they weren't actually affected by, and (b.) they have no knowledge of the procedures behind. So yeah, some people may get annoyed unnecessarily, especially when there are genuine concerns raised by others. So don't take it personally.

Those involved around the photo shoot areas are trying to explain the situation as much as possible, but that's still not going to be enough for some :spidy: most of us know who they are though, so don't worry, not everyone with complaints about the photo sessions is shoved into an 'idiot' category.

BTW - Is anyone else having major problems with getting onto the forum itself? I can only seem to access the most recent thread and even that's touch and go.

Yes, there's major issues on here unfortunately, especially this and another couple of sections.