BILL NIGHY: Are you happy with the BIG announcement?

nicky

Is Bill Nighy worthy of being heralded as a "BIG announcment"?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bill Nighy worthy of being heralded as a "BIG announcment"?

• Yes, he's worthy. SM gave us a BIG guest
    • No, he's not that big. Announcment was an anti-climax
    • Unsure

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

But judging by this result - If you minus the ‘Showmasters gang’, and ‘the younger vote’ from these results. I’m sure that you’d have more ‘no’s’ than ‘yeses’.

I'm really not sure what you mean by 'Showmasters gang' .. you say you're new to the board so I'm not sure what you've seen as a 'gang'?

And as for 'the younger vote', sure there are younger people that like Bill Nighy but plenty of older ones too. What do you consider as 'younger'? Having someone from fairly recent successful movies doesn't automatically make him popular just to the 'younger' ones surely? And I don't understand why you'd minus their vote anyway.

Fact is that looking at the number of people that have voted, it's only a small percentage of this forum, and then those are an even smaller percentage of people that attend events, so polls such as these are never the best indication of popularity anyway.

Definately a big guest. He has starred in some of the biggest selling movies over the past few years.

Pirates of the Carribean

Underworld

Underworld: Evolution

Hot Fuzz

Shaun of the Dead

Just to name a few off the top of my head :YAHOO:

I for one am very glad he's agreed to come :thumbup:

I'm really not sure what you mean by 'Showmasters gang' .. you say you're new to the board so I'm not sure what you've seen as a 'gang'?

Although I haven’t spoken before, but I’ve read the board for some time [i joined to ask about a SW guest], and all I meant by the ‘showmasters gang’ is those who upon hearing any announcement seem to automatically type ‘great’ ‘wow’ or ‘fantastic’. I’d assume that most of these work behind the scenes, that or I simply have to congratulate them on the most amazing bank balances, and varied tastes.

The Pirates movie is basically a young person’s movie, and therefore has some ‘wow factor’ attached to it for younger board members.

The Pirates movie is basically a young person’s movie
Interesting statement which I do understand. Do you think that cos; it's a Disney funded movie with PG-13 rated action and a fairytale kinda fantasy element and very heavy on visuals? No swearing either and I guess pirates in general have always had that kinda kids feel to them cos of kids stories like "Treasure Island" etc. and there's also squeaky clean goodies vs baddies.

Or do you mean a "young person's movie" as in a "popcorn movie", one in which you just switch off and use little brain power to get into an just simply see as dumb, fun (and exploitive) piece of entertainment?

I personally am not one of the younger posters nor one of the SM gang (never crewed or been biased towards them) and I ceratinyl am not a POTC fan but am able to recognise Nighy's star power.

Edited by nicky

I personally am not one of the younger posters nor one of the SM gang (never crewed or been biased towards them) and I ceratinyl am not a POTC fan but am able to recognise Nighy's star power.

A bit of both I think Nicky, wouldn’t you agree?

I’m only arguing that that might affect the results on this thread though. I’m aware that many of screens greats come from this same field.

As for you not being in either of my tagged groups, I absolutely respect your vote, and that’s why I didn’t minus your opinion from the statistics.

as for the calibre of TV guests vs movie guests, I disagree. how can you compare some one, for example, Richard Dean Anderson, who did 10years of Stargate SG1, the longest running sci-fi tv show EVER and the former star of McGuyver the tv series and movies to a movie star, for example, Brandon Routh? yes he is known for Superman Returns, which is very recent, and no, maybe you're not a Stargate fan and, by some ignorance, haven't heard of RDA, but you can't compare a legend of the silver screen for over 2 decades (McGuyver started in 1985) to a I've-done-one-well-known-movie star. Obviously if comparing to the likes of Harrison Ford or maybe even Johnny Depp, even my NAN has heard of Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars and Indiana Jones but she wouldn't have heard of Stargate, so it's all relative really! but don't just think because some one is predominently a tv star they are "inferior" to a movie star. :YAHOO:

surfy sah xx

You're being sneaky and not comparing like with like! RDA is a seasoned TV star, with many years at the top of his profession, where as Brandon Routh is at the start of his career. To compare like for like, would require comparing RDA to someone with 10-20 years solid film experience, working in popular (but not massive) films... um... maybe Nic Cage? Both near the top of their profession, both with many years experience, which would you say is the 'bigger' star?

Forgive me I’m new to the board, and wouldn’t like to annoy anybody with my first post.

But personally, I’d welcome bringing in a three tier announcement strategy. Because there seems to be some confusion on the classification of how ‘big’ is ‘big’; this guy is from a current film yes, but in no way would he feature in the top 100, or even top 1000 actors of all time.

For this poll I’d vote ‘no’, because he isn’t a cinema great, in my book.

But judging by this result - If you minus the ‘Showmasters gang’, and ‘the younger vote’ from these results. I’m sure that you’d have more ‘no’s’ than ‘yeses’.

I guess it's down to persepctive.... I wouldn't call getting one of the top 100 actors/actresses to an event 'big' either.. I would invent adjectives to try and describe how monumental that would be!

The poll is pointless, because people expectations vary hugely and as I said before, you could get Tom Cruise and someone would still bitch about it.

As I mentioned previously, whether you like him or not, Bill Nighy IS the biggest *current* name guest that SM have ever had. Name another actor who has appeared prominently in a top grossing film within 12 months of appearing at an event.

elijah wood?

Although I haven’t spoken before, but I’ve read the board for some time [i joined to ask about a SW guest], and all I meant by the ‘showmasters gang’ is those who upon hearing any announcement seem to automatically type ‘great’ ‘wow’ or ‘fantastic’. I’d assume that most of these work behind the scenes, that or I simply have to congratulate them on the most amazing bank balances, and varied tastes.

The Pirates movie is basically a young person’s movie, and therefore has some ‘wow factor’ attached to it for younger board members.

Umm.. in which case, Thanks for the compliment. I don't work for SM, not even as Crew and I DO have pretty varied tastes.

I utterly disagree that Pirates is a kids film, I'm 35 and I loved the first two.

im not bothered

I dont know who the guy is

Do you actually like films?!? :YAHOO:

As I mentioned previously, whether you like him or not, Bill Nighy IS the biggest *current* name guest that SM have ever had. Name another actor who has appeared prominently in a top grossing film within 12 months of appearing at an event.

elijah wood?

That's a fair point (though I can't remember when C4 was)... and I would say that Elijah Wood got a very similar build up to the one SM gave Bill Nighy.

i think frank is right. well said frank try also to ignore david b. anything you say he will try to pull you apart.

Only if your argument is full of holes and open for debate. OR if you insist on attacking him personally and constantly.

Edited by chris_mk

i think frank is right. well said frank try also to ignore david b. anything you say he will try to pull you apart.

"Ignore david b"

Hmmmm, isn't it about time you take some of your own advice. You seem to have so many problems with David, yet you continue to provoke. If you disagree with David, why don't you just let that be the case and move on. I have no interest in coming on these boards and reading named attacks on other members of the forum, so could you please stop it indio. You are very much entitled to believe that Bill Nighy is a minor guest, but I find your constant butchering of David's name a little offensive!

If you disagree with David, why don't you just let that be the case and move on.

It’s my understanding through reading the board though, the same could be said about David’s posts. He seems the first to attack anybody else’s views, should they dare to post anything in a negative shadow.

I have no idea how high he is up the Showmasters hierarchy he is, but I do find myself increasingly irritated by the nature, and tone of some of his responses.

I am simply balancing the debate, I do not wish to argue with anybody.

you are right frank. every time i have said anything he has pulled me apart and all i do is defend myself.

david and me have different tastes in guests but if people dident say their likes then different stars would never apear.

He's a good guest. Not great but at least as good as the small number of strong guests at C11. Other than Love Actually, a lot of his recent stuff has been in heavy make up. Could be a good guest who doesn't get much attention when he appears.

BTW, did anyone see Indio's new best friend in Doctor Who last Saturday? Cracking performance.

i think Bill Nighy is an awsome announcement and if these announcements keep coming i might just have to come to my first ever lfcc.

i agree that everyone has different tastes but in the current film world nighy is big and this con is following only a few months after the release of potc3 so is quite big really.

and by the way im not part of the 'showmasters gang' and not exactly one of the younger members of the board and i would say this was a big announcement

Hmmmm....what an odd reaction from a lot of people. And to start a thread asking if people believe the term BIG ANNOUNCEMENT was an appropriate one. Do people really worry about the wording of such things? He is a big guest. Full stop. If you don't know or like the guy as a guest, that's not because he's not big, it's simply because you don't know him or don't appreciate what he's been in as much as others do. I personally feel that way about many of the Star Trek and Buffy guests, but that's not to say many out there don't think they're great, worth meeting and would consider them a big announcement.

I personally think he's an awesome guest. I mean, come on - one of the main characters from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, PLUS a major character in Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz AND Underworld / Underworld: Evolution.

I'm all for him and I think this thread is daft. Why would people not be happy with him? If you don't want to meet him, you simply don't have to.

• Moderators

Only if your argument is full of holes and open for debate. OR if you insist on attacking him personally and constantly.

Well I'm glad someone recognises that, thanks.

Fact is I'm not going to stop replying to people or no longer debate with others about their opinions/views just because some people (or indeed person) insists on attacking me personally.

I like to discuss things and see where other people are coming from. I asked 'frank' a few questions about what he meant, and that doesn't mean i'm pulling him apart or attacking him. Far from it.

And how anyone can read this topic and think I'm the unreasonable one is beyond me.

I find your constant butchering of David's name a little offensive!

Haha you're not the only one :D but thanks :smile:

People may ask why I have to reply to stuff, and why I can't just leave things alone .. well why should I be made to feel like I can't discuss things with people? I'm not having 'indio' slagging me off at every opportunity whenever I disagree with someone or discuss something. His personal vendetta is bordering on ridiculous now, but I don't reply in a personal fashion. I have no interest in anything like that, I've discussed different things in this topic as I do everywhere else.

Now I always expect certain people to turn up and get involved, but it's always funny how many newbies we get joining up at opportune moments.

Now I always expect certain people to turn up and get involved, but it's always funny how many newbies we get joining up at opportune moments.

Woah! Woah! Waoh!... what is that meant to mean?

Forgive me but I haven’t joined here to argue with morons like you, and my registration is in no way ‘opportunistic’, as you seem clearly to be suggesting. You are entitled to your opinions, but please don’t infer that other posters are as evil and as vindictive as yourself.

Edited by frank

Do you actually like films?!? :D
LOL! Kbran appears to only to be interested mainly in Superman films if the guest suggestions are anything to go by.

And to start a thread asking if people believe the term BIG ANNOUNCEMENT was an appropriate one? Do people really worry about the wording of such things?
I was just asking to see how many people recognised his star power and to see if people expected somethig else, it was purly for statistics. It's not about whether people want to meet him or like him. I wasnt trying to change anything...just asking if people thought he was a "big guest". Trust me, if you think this thread is dumb, you ought to stick around and see what else turns up!! :smile:

I'm not going to stop or no longer debate with others
I would never dream of stopping my mass-debating either...dunno about with others though.

GEDDIT???!! HELLO???!!!

Edited by nicky

I beg to differ indio. Right from the get go, your first post in this thread was :

however i advice anyone who is dissapointed to not say anything otherwise you will have david b. breathing down your neck.

followed by :

that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, david

david b. GROW UP

next :

As for david b. i will keep him in my larder with the rest of the hanging meat

finally :

try also to ignore david b. anything you say he will try to pull you apart.

Now I have thoroughly read this thread and NO WHERE has David attacked you as a person, it was in fact yourself doing the attacking and how you can be so brazen enough to say it's the other way around is beyond me !!

Have your say indio, you are in fact entitled to it.. but your constant whinging when a guest isn't to your liking is now frankly quite tedious and boring and getting you nothing but a reputation with other forum members as someone who just needs to grow up !!

Now please feel free to start attacking me and my posts, (as you have done in the past). Just to give you a change of direction, cos I know how bad you hate me !!

Edited by DisneyDude78

Well I'm glad someone recognises that, thanks.

Fact is I'm not going to stop replying to people or no longer debate with others about their opinions/views just because some people (or indeed person) insists on attacking me personally.

I like to discuss things and see where other people are coming from. I asked 'frank' a few questions about what he meant, and that doesn't mean i'm pulling him apart or attacking him. Far from it.

And how anyone can read this topic and think I'm the unreasonable one is beyond me.

I find your constant butchering of David's name a little offensive!

Haha you're not the only one :lol: but thanks :P

People may ask why I have to reply to stuff, and why I can't just leave things alone .. well why should I be made to feel like I can't discuss things with people? I'm not having 'indio' slagging me off at every opportunity whenever I disagree with someone or discuss something. His personal vendetta is bordering on ridiculous now, but I don't reply in a personal fashion. I have no interest in anything like that, I've discussed different things in this topic as I do everywhere else.

Remember, if you have a question about drugs, call Frank................................