The rudest star in the world

garnerman

That's the trouble with book signings - they are mainly money making machines for the publisher and writer / artist.

I have a good experience though I recently went to Trafford Centre to meet PELE!! He was a gent and shock hands and said how are you (which to be honest is more than expected). He didn't personalise (his english isn't brilliant) but the book was on offer - 2 for 20 quid. As I was with my Dad I got Pele's auto for a tenner!!!

We were told that he would only sign the first (Blank) page but I asked him to sign the colour photo in the middle of him lifting the world cup - which he did no problem.

Sometimes it's the organisers who have issues not the artist - although I have heard that DH is abit up himself!!

Book signings tend to always be a bit of a nightmare, heavy handed security goons and rude and arrogant P.A.'s do not make a happy signing.

If the star is tired or miserable as well, then you have a real three way nightmare.

I was going to see the Hoff, but decided not to in the end and went last week to David Walliams and Matt Lucas' Little Britain signing instead, and pleased to say that it was pretty well run , no security goons, rude P.A's and Matt and David were both very friendly, shook hands, chatted etc

Well I went to his book signing in Bluewater, and my experience was different.

yes there was still the assistant writing names in the books (I didn't bother with that) but David was chatting to a lot of people as he signed the books and shook my hand and my mothers hand.

Overall he was really nice and chatty and nothing at all like he was when you saw him.

He must have been having a good day.

I've been informed that there is a piece in today's Sun from a disgruntled fan - i'm off to see if I can find a copy.Found it - it's on pg 19
Can you scan and post it here please or just give us the lowdown.

Can't scan it i'm afraid - It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. A woman was writing in the Sun that she had an interview booked with him later in the week. Like many people she had been a fan of his since she was young and was really looking forward to meeting him. She said she was on the This Morning set last week when he was on and decided to use the opportunity to unobtrusively meet him. She went to his dressing room and asked him if he wanted a drink, got it for him and everything was fine. She then saw him again after the interview and offered to help him carry his dry cleaning out of the building. She said he was the usual celeb in public, waving at all the fans ect, but when they got in the lift GROSS ALERT he hawked up a load of snot and then swallowed it with no apology.

She said she wnt off him after that and cancelled her interview with him. She also said that she did email all this to his PR people.

well we arived in manchester at 8am or there abouts, we stood until 1245pm because he was late, yes the woman writing my name in my book anoyed me big time

i wanted david to sign a pannel off my trans am kitt replica which has cost me a lot of time and money , but he wouldnt do that

ive lost a lot of faith in him now,like you other guys said childhood hero RIP

i wanted david to sign a pannel off my trans am kitt replica which has cost me a lot of time and money , but he wouldnt do that

ive lost a lot of faith in him now,like you other guys said childhood hero RIP

But would that be because he was there to sign the books? Did anyone else get something they had bought with them signed. I know that might sound silly but it was a book signing and I think they can say no to personal items. After all they are there wo make loads of cash selling their books!

my understanding from both here and the net is that some celebs, and some other shows, will also charge a higher price for personal items to be signed. as rayleneth says - book signing expects to sign books. not personal items - so a price probably hadn;t been considered for them on this occasion. and he's hardly going to do it for free, when he can charge.

ultimately, yes, it will come down to money. lets face it - we, the general public, work for money. why should celebs not be the same? they're human. yes, in an ideal world we could meet them in our local, have a drink, et cetera - but there's no point dreaming. we live in the real world, and the number of ppl who work purely because they enjoy it are few and far between. money takes precedence.

my understanding from both here and the net is that some celebs, and some other shows, will also charge a higher price for personal items to be signed. as rayleneth says - book signing expects to sign books. not personal items - so a price probably hadn;t been considered for them on this occasion. and he's hardly going to do it for free, when he can charge.

ultimately, yes, it will come down to money. lets face it - we, the general public, work for money. why should celebs not be the same? they're human. yes, in an ideal world we could meet them in our local, have a drink, et cetera - but there's no point dreaming. we live in the real world, and the number of ppl who work purely because they enjoy it are few and far between. money takes precedence.

When I went to the book signing I rang up the bookstore before hand and they told me that the PA said that they wouldn't allow him to sign anything except the book.

I had an item I wanted to get signed, but at the swigning itself you had to hand your book to one of the assistants who would pass it over to be signed. you weren't allowed to show him anything else to sign.

So it's not always the celebrity that isn't allowing you to get what you want, it's the people that surround them!

When I went to the book signing I rang up the bookstore before hand and they told me that the PA said that they wouldn't allow him to sign anything except the book.

I had an item I wanted to get signed, but at the swigning itself you had to hand your book to one of the assistants who would pass it over to be signed. you weren't allowed to show him anything else to sign.

So it's not always the celebrity that isn't allowing you to get what you want, it's the people that surround them!

Looks like I was very lucky when Anne McCaffery came to Peterborough then - I know she's not an actor but she was signing her books and as I purchased one of them she also signed another for me that I took along.

Anne

That is a real shame. I am so sorry for you.

However, I saw David filming Baywatch when I was 14 and although I didn't actually meet him, he seemed to be quite friendly to the fans that day. He signed autographs and chatted to people, but that was 11 years ago and people change.

That said I would like to meet him at a con, but would try to get an idea of how he was being that day before I did meet him.

Looks like I was very lucky when Anne McCaffery came to Peterborough then - I know she's not an actor but she was signing her books and as I purchased one of them she also signed another for me that I took along.

Anne

Am I jelous or what! I love Anne McCaffrey books and would love to have met her.

Anne

Am I jelous or what! I love Anne McCaffrey books and would love to have met her.

I was even luckier in that the bookshop did a draw (raffle) at a day event I was at in Peterborough (little local fair) and they had the standall from the day with Anne's photo on it that she had signed. Gues who won it :D I took it apart and now have just the little 6x4 photo that she signed in my portfolio.

I've got a very eclectic taste but I don't think I'll be going to see the Hoff if he comes to Peterborough. Not after what I've been reading here.

A

It really does vary, for example, at the Little Britain signing last week, Matt and David were pretty much signing anything, including Little Britain Dolls, 10x8's etc

However, the events are really organised through the publisher, who obviously has an interest in selling as many books as they can and so you can understand why they only limit it to the book.

I haven't had a problem with other books for example in the past, last year when Ricky Gervais was signing, he signed his new book, More Flamimals, but also signed his first book, Flanimals and the security guard took those without too much problem.

If you have bought a book , then some of the celebs will sign an autograph book as well, but it will depend on thier P.A. and the security.

I genuinely feel that the security and P.A.'s do tend to often ruin these sort of events, but also do think some of the public can take the mickey a bit when they turn up with loads of things for signing. I guess it is a balance, but something like the book and one personal item would be a good common sense compromise.

When Gene Wilder was over last year, the P.A. with him was an absolute nightmare, and it did take away some of the shine of meeting one of my favourite actors.

gene wilder is a fake person, ive heard so many storys saying what a sweet guy he is however he does not care at all about his fans. as for the hoff. its no good people writing there views on here.as i said before complain to the store or publishers.

I've seen David Hasslehoff at a few London film premiers and I have never seen him sign anything. I get the impression from when I've seen him at these and from TV that he is kind of arrogant, but hey, I don't know the guy!

With regards to book/record signings (and sometimes collectors shows) it does often seem to be the security who are rushing people, not allowing items to be signed, etc. I guess there needs to be a fine balance between artist and security/shop for it all to work properly.

That's all i have to say about that!

When he was in Chicago in London he signed for the fans waiting outside for him. I got a quick photo with him and he was 'OK' not great but acted exactly how u see him on TV. Personally I'm not that fussed on him but I got a piccie with him as a kinda joke me and my mate have from years ago about him. Thats just one experience though and the book thing was totally out of order - why would u want some assisstant to write in your book??!