How to do Collectormania...

Whileywoo

Okie dokie. I've wanted to go for many years now, and finally i can! Go me!

Spesh as Adam Baldwin is coming too...

Mind the drool patch.

ANYWAY. How to do it. Any tips on time keeping? Travelling? When to arrive? How to plan the days? Whats the set up of the event? How many people can i realistically meet?

And the bigish one... how much money to take.

I dont want to come across newbish but if someone or perhaps a few people want to chat on AIM or MSN and rave about the glories of Collectormania i would appriciate the raving at! :firedevil: Any kind of tips, walk throughs, anythang, just so i know what to expect!

Thankings muchly!

EDIT: Ok so now i find the FAQ thread. and I'm reading, and its very useful! But i still wouldnt mind actually having a chat if any one is up for that? :YAHOO:

Edited by Whileywoo

I'm metting Adam as well :firedevil:

Everyone does Collectormania differently. Personally I travel overnight on the bus from Glasgow so I arrive at the shopping centre just before seven. I then usually fly back from Luton Airport. I only spend one day at Collectormania, but as not all guests will be there all three days you may need to go for two days.

In terms of autograph prices they are usually 15 pounds but some may be 20, it just depends on the guests. Its always advisable to take a little extra cash just in case. In terms of how many you can meet in a day it all depends how early you get there. At the last Collectormania I had met the four guests that I wanted to meet all before half 10.

There's also quite a useful FAQ on the forum. Have a good time!

woops didnt read your edit :YAHOO:

Okay here goes

Well done on reading the FAQ, this is something not enough people do!!

What Days: Keep an eye on the forums and the website closer to the time, as about 2 weeks(I think) when you start to find out what guests are signing what days

Travel: This depends where you are travelling from, I live in Edinburgh so I travel down on the Thursday evening, or very early Friday morning.

When to arrive, if you really want to meet the guest(Adam!!) then I think being there early in the morning is better. Also a Friday is usually a quieter day, Saturday the place is mobbed!!

I usually am there about 8.30 on the Friday, and have been able to meet as many as 12 guests in the one day.

Money: Start planning ahead for the event,as money depends on how many of the announced guests you think you want to meet and get an auto from, as the guests are announced, start a file on your computer and mark down if you want to meet them, and mark down £15 for each one, this should give you an idea how much you need!! But there's also the dealer's stalls, food, drink and maybe accommodation if you decide to go for the whole weekend! I now have a budget of £300 per event, this does not include travel and hotel stays.

If you want to keep the hotel costs down, you could always share with other people, this is a good way to meet new people as well, there is a section on these boards for this, it also means you've got more money to spend at the event!!

You can add me to MSN if you want, I go by the same name there as I do on here!!

Yay you're all scrumptious! Thank you for replying!

I'm not sure yet about where i'm staying, travelling, how many days, etc, it would highly depend on the guests and the days they are attending. I would LOVE to stay for all 3.

I'd probably get the train, as I'm in Exeter, Devon, unless anyone driving past/thru feels like letting me hop in and pitch in for petrol? :D

My friend has offered me a place staying with her about half an hour from milton keynes, but i cant help thinking that may be a little restricting. Might track down that thread with the combining room sleepies offers. :dance:

Have added both who have offered, and I hope to chat soon!

I'd love to have one thing clarified though! I got the impression from teh FAQ thread that in order to meet guests you generally are going to have to get something signed unless you're incredibly cheeky/jammy and somehow get away with saying 'Yo me homies, give us a hug' ?

Just pondering finances...

is it bad that i'm considering a loan? :WINCE:

• Showmasters Admin

I'd love to have one thing clarified though! I got the impression from teh FAQ thread that in order to meet guests you generally are going to have to get something signed unless you're incredibly cheeky/jammy and somehow get away with saying 'Yo me homies, give us a hug' ?

Firstly - I'm glad you've read the FAQ and found it useful. Welcome to the madness that is Showmasters events.

Secondly - To meet the guests you should buy an autograph.

This question in the FAQ pretty much covers it.

Can I see a guest without paying for an autograph?

Note: This applies to both having a chat or just taking a photo!

Firstly the best thing to do is (as above) to go up with someone that is getting an autograph. Please be aware that if it's not an open queue you will need your own VT to join the queue.

If you don't have someone who's getting an autograph to go up with, then the following guide lines apply:

For guests with a seperate photo table, as long as they have no queue, please go and ask the member of crew at the end of the queue, or on the photo table. The crew will be able to tell you at the time if it's OK for you to go and speak to the guest.

For minor guests without a separate photo table feel free to chat to the guest, but again only if there is no queue.

Three things to remember if you're going up without someone buying an autograph:

1: Paying customers have priority, so if you're talking to a guest and a paying customer arrives you should move along straight away.

2: Virtual Tickets are for people wanting autographs, please don't take them if you just want to meet the guest. Even with a VT you will not be allowed into the queue without paying for an autograph. As I've said above if there is NO queue then you can ask if it's OK.

3: The show is there to make money, it's how we get such good guests in the first place. So do not take it personally if the crew says no. There can be reasons that are not obvious to you as to why they've had to say no.

Edited by Too Tall

Celtic Rob - What I usually do is get the bus from Glasgow Buchanan bus station(it also stops at Hamilton if thats closer) with Silver Choice or National Express on the Friday night at around 10pm. That gets u to Milton Keynes coachway about 5.45am and from there a local taxi only costs about 4 pounds to the shopping centre.

Coming back, easyjet are usually the cheapest from luton airport, i usually get the last flight back as you never know how long it will take to get autos etc. The only thing is the earlier you book the flight th cheaper it will be but as guest days are not announced till nearer the time i end up having to book my flight quite late.

i usually just go for one day :D

bit sad, but better than nothing!

Tegan what are you on about. A BIT SAD!

loads of people go for just one day. for all the Collectormanias i've been to i've only been on one day. :dance::WINCE: lol jst kiddin

First-good choice on reading the FAQ.

Second-everything that Gebes said is pretty much accurate. My general budget is £300 per show (not including hotel/food, etc.), and at the moment I'm planning on seeing Adam Baldwin (he can make my Serenity cast shot even more shiney!) and Lance. For Adam (whatever day he's signing), I'd say 08.30-09.00 should be sufficiant if you want to meet him. And if you're doing a costume, there's plenty of groups there, so you'll fit right in. Hitching a ride (well, not literally!) with someone local to you or staying at the same hotel is a great way to meet new people, and always remember to budget, or you'll be going to the cash machine every 5 mins, lol! On the subject of meeting guests without autographs, it depends. Some guests won't have big crowds so will be happy to chat or say hello without you buying an auto. Adam will be quite busy, though, so not much chance of that with him.

Enjoy your Collectormania experience. :WINCE:

My msn's in my sig, feel free to add me if you have any further questions. I've been going to these things since CM3, and always have loads of fun, regardless of guests! :dance:

Okie dokie. I've wanted to go for many years now, and finally i can! Go me!

Spesh as Adam Baldwin is coming too...

Mind the drool patch.

ANYWAY. How to do it. Any tips on time keeping? Travelling? When to arrive? How to plan the days? Whats the set up of the event? How many people can i realistically meet?

And the bigish one... how much money to take.

I dont want to come across newbish but if someone or perhaps a few people want to chat on AIM or MSN and rave about the glories of Collectormania i would appriciate the raving at! :headscratch: Any kind of tips, walk throughs, anythang, just so i know what to expect!

Thankings muchly!

EDIT: Ok so now i find the FAQ thread. and I'm reading, and its very useful! But i still wouldnt mind actually having a chat if any one is up for that? :thumbup:

Adam Baldwin would be great to meet but dont base everything on him as cancellations do happen. Im not hinting or trying to scare monger but its a fact that over recent events big name guests have pulled out of events late on, and not just one or two, see Collectormania and LFCC 06 for example. These cancellations cannot be helped but if you are attending for just 1 guest then youd be best waiting for as long as possible before making concrete plans and wait for guest updates.

I bought a Gold Pass mainly for Dreyfuss and he pulled out. Christopher Lee dropped out the night before so it can happen. Just bear it in mind before you splash a lot of money on accommodation that the nature of these events means the guest lineup can change overnight. :blush:

Hi there. I'm a SW (Plymouth)-based veteran of both Collectormania & LFACC.

Feel free to e-mail me (richyrocket@blueyonder.co.uk) esp as I travel up by train.

If not I hope you get the advice you need & enjoy the event to its fullest!

Rich

Howdy there. I'm an MK native, so you want any tips about anything other than Collectormania itself (which other people seem to be giving you fine, but I can help with too if you want) feel free to drop me a line at hansonrule4eva @ msn.com (sorry bout the spaces, get too much junk as it is). I find it's definitely worth going every day, but I live here, so it's not an issue money-wise. If you can afford, it definitely stay all 3 days. I can help with directions, lifts etc from the Station, or the Coachway too, so give me a shout if you want anything like that. :poki:

Rachel