Would you be interested in an SMS announcement service?

Alx

Would you be interested in an SMS announcement service?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Text Updates

• Yes
    • No

I am asking and doing some general research for Showmasters to see how everyone is with their mobile phones. How many people here would be interested in a SMS service that will update you with the big guest announcements.

We would only send out 1 or 2 messages (max) per month, and they would cost you only 25p. It's not a money making idea, it is an idea of alternative ways for the fans to be kept up to date with the big announcements when they're not around, this would also relieve some pressure on this here forum, and reduce the chance of crashing when an announcement is made, and would also allow everyone the chance to see the announcement if the forum did crash.

I am going to leave this open to discussion as SM would like to see what you have to say, as they're also looking at other similar ideas.

We would really appreciate your feedback. We have kept the charge to the minimum we could do. From this what do you think?

Alex

Edited by Too Tall

Tart it up however you like by saying it is keeping people informed but quite clearly it is a money making scheme. Ask yourself why you need to know that “A.Star†is announced 4 months before the event? How does this impact on your life by knowing this information now as opposed to 3 days later when you next log on to the forum? Ok if you are one of those “dedicated/enthusiastic†(or is it pathetic/insecure) people who like to know things first then go ahead spend the money as clearly this somehow makes you feel important but guess what is means jack and Alx/phone company have just made money out of you – suckers.

Oh I have voted no.

Edited by Noddy

• Showmasters Admin

I'd want to be able to stop and start it as I wanted. i.e. send a text to say start, and another to say stop, or go to a website to say stop or start. That way I only get them when I'm not able to access the forum, i.e. on holiday, out for the night.

I would not want to the sign up for something that was going to cost me (possibly) 50p a month to get announcements I can get for free on the forum.

quite clearly it is a money making scheme.

not for SM its not, they would be paying for the service - by the time they've finished paying they'd have nothin left out of the 25p. not to mention there's not enough of us on here to make mroe than what? a tenner a month? even if everyone was signed up. and since there's loads of ppl who've made, for whatever reason, multiple accounts, thats never possibly gonna happen.

i'm not interested in it myself, but thats because i couldn't be sure of affording it - wheras the net is broadband for me, and in my bedroom...

but i DO see the value of it for those who are rarely in and who want to get every announcement (or every main announcement) ASAP, so while i voted no, thats only for me personally, and i think its generally a reasonable idea.

probably the biggest difficulty, though, will be choosing which announcements to send out. i think, didn't dreyfuss and higginson both cancel this month, as well as lee being announced? there's 3 different announcements - and all of them big. higginson may not be as big as the others, but she's in a rather popular scifi series and would have drawn a respectable crowd on her own, i believe. cancellations need to be made known ASAP, yet someone like lee also will need to be let known ASAP... so there'd have to be a clause, i suspect, of 'up to' 4 a month, to allow for such announcements a bit closer to the event.

thats just me thinkin... yes its a nice idea but it would have to be left open to alteration, and so is likely to put ppl off i'm afraid.

Noddy, that was a little harsh...

I think its a good idea, but I agree with too tall's comment. Like if I'm away, or even having a bad day at uni or summit, It'd be great to see popping up on my screen "just announced: patrick Stewart"

hehe

Yes i think its a good idea as long as like others have said you could stop it and start it when you like? I work evenings so i mostly miss any announcements which is ok sometimes but when the forum crashes its frustrating not finding out sooner and waiting for the forum to return! Really would only need a message when guests are announced and thats not even every month? :D

Yes i think its a good idea as long as like others have said you could stop it and start it when you like? I work evenings so i mostly miss any announcements which is ok sometimes but when the forum crashes its frustrating not finding out sooner and waiting for the forum to return! Really would only need a message when guests are announced and thats not even every month? ;)

Minor problem, with the 5+ shows that SM will be doing next year, I can foresee it being more than one every month especially when it gets closer to the shows dates. Sounds a good but would it be possible to subscribe to only one show?

Yes i think its a good idea as long as like others have said you could stop it and start it when you like? I work evenings so i mostly miss any announcements which is ok sometimes but when the forum crashes its frustrating not finding out sooner and waiting for the forum to return! Really would only need a message when guests are announced and thats not even every month? ;)

Minor problem, with the 5+ shows that SM will be doing next year, I can foresee it being more than one every month especially when it gets closer to the shows dates. Sounds a good but would it be possible to subscribe to only one show?

if it was possible though it would become financially unfeasible... i mean, i'm assuming SM would have to pay monthly. but if you only want for LFCC, then they're paying money, trying to maintain the service, and gettin nothin in way of aid...?

I am definitely not interested!

Has anybody heard of these e-mail newsletters? They are for free!

I get a notice (SMS) for every e-mail I receive on my mobile phone, so an announcement via e-mail is what I would prefer!

I am definitely not interested!

Has anybody heard of these e-mail newsletters? They are for free!

I get a notice (SMS) for every e-mail I receive on my mobile phone, so an announcement via e-mail is what I would prefer!

do you pay for those?

the newsletter might be free, but are you sure the sms tellin you about it is free? and does it send you the email? some ppl would rather get the announcement immediately rather than tryin to reach a computer ;)

For those that have internet access then yes perhaps email is beeter. On the other hand those who do not have internet access would benefit from this service.

There is nothing worst than being away for whatever reason and missing announcements, especially when its someone you've been waiting to meet.

I'm guessing it would be useful for guest cancellations eg Christopher Lee, as many people are annoyed they couldn't find out earlier when the forum was down.

Also good when big guests are announced or a new event has been organised, but I'm happy finding this stuff out over the forum a bit later.

I wouldn't want guest updates though, there are so many of them and there's usually a lot I haven't heard of... don't want to pay a few pounds every few months to hear of some old randomer that I wouldn't want to meet anyway... :YAHOO:

Would it be worthwhile having just one page at showmastersonline.com (ie "Latest Announcements") that literally just listed the people and which event they would turn up to. Just in a table format. Nothing fancy and that would relieve the pressure on the forum, then they could remove people for the New Announcement page as they update the websites. People would look at it for less time as all the details are there in brief on one page rather than people staying on longer to comment etc.

do you pay for those?

the newsletter might be free, but are you sure the sms tellin you about it is free? and does it send you the email? some ppl would rather get the announcement immediately rather than tryin to reach a computer :wacko:

No I don't pay for each sms. This service is part of the "e-mail pack" which I have in my mobile phone contract.

I know that not many have this kind of service, but I wanted to to give give a reason why I am not interested in this sms service.

do you pay for those?

the newsletter might be free, but are you sure the sms tellin you about it is free? and does it send you the email? some ppl would rather get the announcement immediately rather than tryin to reach a computer ;)

No I don't pay for each sms. This service is part of the "e-mail pack" which I have in my mobile phone contract.

I know that not many have this kind of service, but I wanted to to give give a reason why I am not interested in this sms service.

ah, fair enough, i didn't even realise the option was included in contracts. just i was thinkin on the likes of MSN bein able to be accessed from mobiles, i'd thought maybe some of the email servers were workin in conjunction as well... i wouldn't expect the likes of microsoft to do that service for nothin though :wacko: