Glynis Barber/Michael Brandon Question

Fry

I just read on the Horizon website that Glynis Barber is charging £15 per auto. Does this mean that Michael Brandon is charging the same?

As it is £15 seems a steep for a British actress thats claim to fame is 20 year old show that lasted a for about 3 seasons. To pay the same for her husband is a bit beyond the joke.

Any comments or views on this?

• Moderators

Some people won't pay for autos at all.

All personal preference, so no point in a discussion. Showmasters won't change it just because someone doesn't like the price :)

If it's too steep for you, you don't buy it. Simple really! :unsure:

well i do find that it is alittle steep, but well its some thing to do with capitalism...ermm....i watched it today some time ...i think

where like cause she is the only one who can give you her auto agtually from her, then she can chrage what she likes....

but lets just hope her husband doesn't hit out hello kity purses as hard as that! (sorry thats just me assume the rest if you have hello kitty ourses!) :dance::dance::D

Some people won't pay for autos at all.

All personal preference, so no point in a discussion. Showmasters won't change it just because someone doesn't like the price :)

If it's too steep for you, you don't buy it. Simple really! :dance:

964329[/snapback]

Isnt it things like that that get companies into financial problems, like not listening to their customers?

The way Horizon have put it, they are there to promote the first Dempsey and Makepeace DVD. Who is going to pay 150% more for their two autographs. It will be interesting to see their queue size on the Monday

Isnt it things like that that get companies into financial problems, like not listening to their customers?

964349[/snapback]

Yikes crikey, just look at the huge financial problems Shell and BP have got into by not listening to all of their customers saying that petrol is too expensive!

B)

Spouting simplistic nonsense like that ("the customer is always right" is another one) just undermines your position by making your argument look less than intellectually rigorous. (At least to pompous tw*ts like me :thumbup: )

• Moderators

I think they're less inclined to listen to certain "customers" if they're not overly negative most of the time anyway. Unfortunately, it makes a criticism that is perhaps valid unlikely to be well received and taken into consideration. Some people round here are more than happy to find fault with pretty much anything and everything they can, so while there may be a good point in there SOMEWHERE, it does get buried in the blatant anti-SM stance.

I thing "no point in a discussion" is a fairly ironic thing to post on a forum, but Fry IS being an a r s e ! What does her being a "British actress" have to do with anything ? Are you saying only american (or at least non-uk) guests can charge more than a fiver ?

I fully appreciate that I am undermining my own "£15 is too much for the other Lost Boys" argument in saying this :WAVE: , but it's all relative. If you are a D&M fan, and would like a signed boxset, you spend (or find) the money. I agree that some people don't pay for autos full stop, but (obviously) some do, or these shows wouldn't exist. Geography and other commitments make it virtually impossible for me to meet people who's autograph I would like, and Collectormania and similar shows make that happen. I don't expect them to do it for free though......

So what is GB's auto worth to you ? £12 ? £10 ? £5 ? a QUID ???? Or would you give the pub a miss one weekend and use the money to acquire something that will give you great ongoing pleasure ? D&M and many other shows have strong fan bases even now.

The guy who checked us into our hotel at an earlier Collectormania sums it up best for me. He is a married man in his early fourties with two young kids, and isn't a "fanboy" by any stretch (we enjoyed a good long chat!). Anyway, he lives locally and is "aware" of Collectormania, if only from how busy his hotel is during the shows. He took his lunchbreak during one event, and made a point of going to the show. He paid his £15 and met Sam Jones (Flash Gordon) for the simple reason that he wanted to shake his hand and thank him for "rocking his world" when he was a kid. THAT is what you are paying for !

Read all the posts on here about the two Coreys. At least one poster "owes it to her 13 year old self" to meet them ! You don't pay £1 on a lottery ticket to become a millionnaire. You pay it for the buzz that you get checking your ticket on the Sunday morning. An odd tenner here and there is nice, but you are paying for the experience !

All of us of a certain age cherish certain tv programmes, and there lies a problem. TV as an entertainer is changing. All they want now is cheap reality programmes and plug-athon chat shows. Where is the next A Team, Knight Rider, etc ? Terrestrial telly doesn't even bother with quiz shows any more either (unless there is a possibility of a moneymaking text message sideline). Twenty years from now, there won't be "guests" available for these shows. The Buffys, Stargates etc will die off, as will current guests, sadly, and that will essentially kill the shows too.

I'm off on a ranting tangent here, I realise, but my point is the same. If £15 doesn't seem like good value, give it a miss. Just don't come to regret it. Personally I will be getting Glynis and Michael to sign my Blake's Seven and Jonathan Creek boxsets respectively. Two shows I think of very fondly. :rolleyes:

964349[/snapback]

Yikes crikey, just look at the huge financial problems Shell and BP have got into by not listening to all of their customers saying that petrol is too expensive!

:wub:

Spouting simplistic nonsense like that ("the customer is always right" is another one) just undermines your position by making your argument look less than intellectually rigorous. (At least to pompous tw*ts like me :poki: )

964464[/snapback]

Good point, just really poorly made. If you want to make a comparison I was thinking about the Sinclair C5 instead of using an example that poeple MUST have. Its the difference between need and want.

So next time you feel like posting and trying to be intelligent, sit down and think hard about what you ae typing.

I just read on the Horizon website that Glynis Barber is charging £15 per auto...  Does this mean that Michael Brandon is charging the same?

... To pay the same for her husband is a bit beyond the joke.

Any comments or views on this?

964328[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Glynis Barber is still extremely popular following her work in both D&M and Blake's 7 - I'm sure there are plenty of fans who will be very pleased to get to meet her and willingly pay £15 for a signiture.

Considering Michael Brandon had the starring role in Dario Argento's classic film Four Flies On Grey Velvet, I'd have been quite happy paying more than £15 to get my original theatrical poster for the film signed by him.

Sadly, I'm unable to make it along on Monday. Those who do get to meet him should consider themselves very lucky indeed.

I was tempted to come down to MK to meet Michael and Glynis, but £15 per autograph is too much. The first series of Dempsey and Makepeace only cost £18 - I'm not prepared to pay nearly twice as much just to get them to sign it! I'll wait until they both do theatre next.

Good point, just really poorly made.

Ooooooh - get you, dearie. :D

If you want to make a comparison I was thinking about the Sinclair C5 instead of using an example that poeple MUST have.  Its the difference between need and want.

OK smartypants. How about Microsoft? Nobody needs Windows - there's Apple, and if you want to go down the PC route there's Linux, and there used to be IBM's OS/2.

The whole world seems to use Word and Excel, but there are still (and were once very successful) competitors like WordPro, WordPerfect, 1-2-3, QuattroPro etc. Microsoft are notorious for not listening to customers (and I know a guy who worked in customer service there) and they haven't exactly struggled, have they?

How about banks? The four High Street clearing banks have been getting stick for years about account charges, slowness clearing cheques, inflexibility, poor treatment of customers, and more. Sure they have made some changes, but they're still pretty crap (just been given a big slap by the regulator about charges) and a long way behind a lot of the alternatives, like no end of internet banking alternatives (egg, smile, first direct, Virgin One), and smaller banks who still operate in the real world as well as on the net. But what happens? Every year the four major banks announce increased profits, despite the fact that nobody needs them.

So next time you feel like posting and trying to be intelligent, sit down and think hard about what you ae typing.

964978[/snapback]

So you saw my pompous and raised me a patronising.

The brain is desperately searching for something witty to say, but the fingers are furiously tapping out "%^$# off, $@?&€+!" :clap:

The guy who checked us into our hotel at an earlier Collectormania sums it up best for me. He is a married man in his early fourties with two young kids, and isn't a "fanboy" by any stretch (we enjoyed a good long chat!). Anyway, he lives locally and is "aware" of Collectormania, if only from how busy his hotel is during the shows. He took his lunchbreak during one event, and made a point of going to the show. He paid his £15 and met Sam Jones (Flash Gordon) for the simple reason that he wanted to shake his hand and thank him for "rocking his world" when he was a kid. THAT is what you are paying for !

Read all the posts on here about the two Coreys. At least one poster "owes it to her 13 year old self" to meet them ! You don't pay £1 on a lottery ticket to become a millionnaire. You pay it for the buzz that you get checking your ticket on the Sunday morning. An odd tenner here and there is nice, but you are paying for the experience !

964605[/snapback]

Amazing post dufresne :clap:

But that bit above's definitely my favourite part, slightly off topic here but that's a cool story & really sums it up :D

(now get back to the competition! :wub: )

Are you new to this world? Lets break this down for you once again.....

OK smartypants. How about Microsoft? Nobody needs Windows - there's Apple, and if you want to go down the PC route there's Linux, and there used to be IBM's OS/2.

The whole world seems to use Word and Excel, but there are still (and were once very successful) competitors like WordPro, WordPerfect, 1-2-3, QuattroPro etc. Microsoft are notorious for not listening to customers (and I know a guy who worked in customer service there) and they haven't exactly struggled, have they?

Why indeed Microsoft. Software is released with more bugs than London Zoo and is normally as secure as a paper bag. The problem lies in its history, something obviously you know nothing about. Its all down to 26 years of cunning selling, basically ever since the 8086 based PC came out. There was only IBM's PC-DOS and MS-DOS. MS supplied OEMs and IBM kept it for their own PC's. Microsoft's market domination started there! Since then they have been cutting deals left, right and centre with many OEM's which has also seen them in court over monopolizing the marketplace. That should hopefully answer "why Microsoft", but basically for an easy life, you dont have much choice and also MS based PC's are generally alot cheaper.

Next Apple...Generally, these days they are nicer looking and more fuctional and have a better track record on reliablity. Microsoft even copied their OS for Win 95, its so good. However, due to Microsofts marketplace dominance, most developers stick with PC's. Therefore there is a lack of support for Apple computers. As good as they are, they also cost more than the average PC. That coupled with the lack of software is a good reason not to buy an Apple.

Now Linux is a good OS. Based on sum 30 years of UNIX development is very reliable and so cheap its free. However, without a GUI such as XWindows, can be a bit dull since, like UNIX, is all text based commands. For the average PC home user, this is really a no no. Since its main designed was a server based OS, there is very little manufacturer support but plenty of freeware support. Popularity is increasing though so the future might change.

And just to show your stupidity and lack of knowledge you throw in OS2 Warp, or "used to be IBM's OS/2". Hate to tell you this, IBM still use it and its still out there for IBM services

Just wondering, where did your friend work in Microsoft? I too worked support for them for 2 years from 97 to 99.

Anyway to sum up, Microsoft (or Bill Gates mainly) made some very good decisions in the early days that has allowed him to control the marketplace. Lead by excellent marketing campaigns leading people to believe that that buying Microsoft products is good and that they intergrate perfectly with your OS. A great example is what they did to Netscape. You dont need to use Microsoft but for compatiblity reasons its best to.

How about banks? The four High Street clearing banks have been getting stick for years about account charges, slowness clearing cheques, inflexibility, poor treatment of customers, and more. Sure they have made some changes, but they're still pretty crap (just been given a big slap by the regulator about charges) and a long way behind a lot of the alternatives, like no end of internet banking alternatives (egg, smile, first direct, Virgin One), and smaller banks who still operate in the real world as well as on the net. But what happens? Every year the four major banks announce increased profits, despite the fact that nobody needs them

Im not sure what you want me to do with this. I either think you are under 16 or just unemployed because in the adult employed world you do need a bank. There are very few companies that 'legally' pay cash in hand, employers generally require a bank account for your pay to go into. You cannot get a mortgage, loan and a few other things without having a bank account. A point of interest regarding their profits is that these are mainly due to poor people that are constantly in debt, who then complain when they get charged for it!

So, once again to sum up, a bank account is a NEED and not a want.

Hopefully I have explained everything to you. Im sorry that I didnt use crayons or backward letters for you but maybe your mummy or daddy could read it to you.

I'm sorry 'Fry' is so disappointed about these guests, but from the response Horizon has had to their appearance I think he's in the minority. This is the first signing/convention appearance ever by either Glynis or Michael, and quite a coup for Showmasters.

Dempsey & Makepeace remains a very popular show, and to have the 2 main cast members appearing together at C9 is very exciting for its fans, and of course it's great news for Blake's 7 fans that Glynis is at C9 on the same day as her fellow Season 4 Blake's 7 cast members as she'll also be signing copies of the S4 DVD Box set which was released this week.

Both actors have appeared in many other shows apart from B7 and D&M, and Michael recently starred in the hit West End musical 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'. I'm sure they will both be very popular guests.

- Diane

Why indeed Microsoft. [numerous points put in a patronising manner snipped]

I don't contest a single fact of what you said. (and I'll concede that IBM's OS has dropped off my radar of late, since I haven't bumped into it for a few years, and they're not exactly marketing it like billy-o, are they?)

However, your history of Microsoft still doesn't address the actual point that people didn't need MS, certainly not 10 years ago (arguably they have much less choice now) they had a choice, and they still chose MS, even though MS had a crappy record on listening to customers, which was your original point.

Just wondering, where did your friend work in Microsoft?  I too worked support for them for 2 years from 97 to 99.

Seattle, from about '91 to 2000.

Anyway to sum up, Microsoft (or Bill Gates mainly) made some very good decisions in the early days that has allowed him to control the marketplace.  Lead by excellent marketing campaigns leading people to believe that that buying Microsoft products is good and that they intergrate perfectly with your OS.  A great example is what they did to Netscape.  You dont need to use Microsoft but for compatiblity reasons its best to.

And again, this addresses the original point how? You said companies that don't listen to their clients get into financial trouble, I countered that was simplistic, you asked for an example where it was a case of want rather than need, I cited MS. People didn't need MS, MS just made them think they did. I still think they've got a crap record of listening to their customers and they're not in financial trouble. So, if we could think of the original point rather than you dazzling us all with the history of computing...

How about banks? The four High Street clearing banks have been getting stick for years about account charges, slowness clearing cheques, inflexibility, poor treatment of customers, and more. Sure they have made some changes, but they're still pretty crap (just been given a big slap by the regulator about charges) and a long way behind a lot of the alternatives, like no end of internet banking alternatives (egg, smile, first direct, Virgin One), and smaller banks who still operate in the real world as well as on the net. But what happens? Every year the four major banks announce increased profits, despite the fact that nobody needs them

Im not sure what you want me to do with this. I either think you are under 16 or just unemployed

I either think you're stupid or just looking for an argument rather than answering the point.

because in the adult employed world you do need a bank.

And exactly where, Einstein, did I say you don't need a bank?

[statingoff the obvious snipped]

So, once again to sum up, a bank account is a NEED and not a want.

In words that a user of round-ended scissors might understand: I said that there were plenty of alternative banking options to the four High Street clearing banks, such as internet banking, former building societies etc, who have been particularly responsive and innovative, compared to the four main High Street clearing banks, but still these creaking institutions continue to record increased profits. In case you're still hard of thinking, I was not saying that a bank account is not a need, I was saying that a bank account with one of those four institutions is not a need.

Hopefully I have explained everything to you.  Im sorry that I didnt use crayons or backward letters for you but maybe your mummy or daddy could read it to you.

965862[/snapback]

Since we've come a long way off-topic from Glynnis Barber, and we're just going to end up being more abusive to each other, I suggest that we let it drop. Especially since I find your comment about my recently-deceased father to be in poor taste. (No, you wouldn't have known, but it shows what happens when you don't think about what you were writing; a bit more brain and a bit less bile-duct might serve you well.)

And a swift turn back onto topic....

I'm more than happy to pay the prices. Dempsey and Makepeace were my idols when I was growing up. Hell I wanted to be Makepeace :D

And Tommy T - sorry to hear of your recent loss. :clap:

perhaps the point Fry was making about them being British is that SM aren't paying out hight flight costs etc for these people where as perhaps some guests that are flown in from outisde the UK at the cost of couple of hundred pounds are charging the same for autos?

I have no idea really :D jus thought I'd interupt and offer a different perspective :blink:

I'm well aware it's all relative etc etc yadda, I just meant in terms of costs of having the guest not what they are worth to the individual :rolleyes:

surfy sah xx

Terrestrial telly doesn't even bother with quiz shows any more either

soz duf - but what about noel edmunds quiz (can't think of the name- as im the only person who doesn't watch it). millionaire, buzzcocks, etc etc plus paul o grady is brining back an old one (can't remeber which one) :poki:

wow how did this change from d+mp topic to who has worked most years at microsoft (does anybody care?? really do you?!)