Where are all the 'NEW' guests

Fry

• Moderators

Andy Hallett - yes, he's been to Buffy/Angel SPECIFIC conventions, but not to a Showmasters event, so he's not really a repeat guest. And as a big fan, I've always WANTED to go to those shows but couldn't really afford them, and he was always the main guest that people would recommend meeting! So it's no surprise that he's coming. As we all know, Buffy and Angel fans are very dedicated and all the guests have been popular in the past!

With some specific conventions coming to an end, it's good to see that us fans will still have SOMEWHERE to go to meet them! It's often happened that Collectormania has clashed with other events, so the Buffy guests have sometimes been very hard to get, so I guess now we're getting them cuz we can! Nic Brendon was one of the main cast members and I didn't get his auto last time so I'm glad he's coming, and if he wants to bring his brother then that's cool too cuz I haven't met him, and Adam Busch fits in well with CoRo and the party!

Someone like Robert Englund obviously has a VERY good relationship with Showmasters, and I'm ALWAYS surprised how popular he proves to be considering he's been before! Oh and his FvsJ talk with KK was one of the best I've been to, so I hope he does another ..

As for the "reunions" .. well, Batman is not exactly a reunion now, but I can see how aiming the reunions at older shows works well as it's probably easier to get guests for them! There's no point having a LOTR reunion as there's been LOTR OVERLOAD over many shows, and it's probably very hard to get a decent reunion together!

Other guests like Nana and Tricia I think are good ones, and I'd like to see more of that quality non-repeat guests announced. They don't have to be MASSIVE ones on an Elijah or Burt Reynolds scale, people have way too unrealistic expectations after C4 and LFACC2 unfortunately. It's great when it works out and you get guests like that available, but it's not gonna happen all the time!

It's luck really, and sometimes ya get it, sometimes it runs out .. it's often not about a guest not wanting to do an event, but simply being unavailable unfortunately. So there's not much point getting pissed off at SMs or any other organiser because it's probably a lot trickier getting a solid high quality guest lineup than we may think!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) Lee Majors...Poor ol Lee Majors. He's been around since the dawn of time and that’s also the last time one of his shows was popular. He doesn’t possess the iconic stature that, say Burt Reynolds does, he's more of an after thought you would use to fill up tables.

are you kidding? Lee Majors is awesome and i cannot wait to meet him. For me he is right up there with some of the other best guest showmasters have had before eg - clint howard, leo rossi, david naughton, joe pantaliano etc.

I'm glad with the line-up so far. I just hope it won't be changed again too many times :blink:

I think it's a good mix between old good guests and recent ones. Yes, they don't have a lot of current guests that you can see on screen but it's difficult to have them since they are working. Their schedule

has to fit with the event dates and sometimes it's simply impossible or it has to be decided at the latest minute.

Anyway, Lee Majors is probably not the best actor ever but he is certainly an icon of the 70-80s. Many people knows him and to my knowledge, he is a rare signer, either in Europe or in the States. So if he is not doing his Val Kilmer, I'll be glad to meet him ;)

I've never met Robert Englund before so I'm glad here too. Nick Brendon has just cancelled another Buffy event so this is an opportunity for me to meet him.... hopefully. I've met Andy a few weeks ago but that guy is funny as hell, so it's always a blast to meet him. Tricia is :blink: do I need to tell more ? :huh:

The line-up is good so far but I'm still expecting a few more good names. My hotel is booked, I'm just waiting to see the line-up at the end of August to book my train.

Robert Davi is a very recognisable face, so getting him is cool

Robert Englund will be great too

Buck Rogers & Six mil man are a little early for me and everybody knows what I think of Trek & Buffy

I think there are just a lot of people with no reason to go at the moment and that`s why people are asking. The fact there is nothing happening on these boards at the moment does not help.

Yes, I forgot about Davi. And I'd like to have a picture of Nana in Dark Angel as I have already one from DS9.

Currently we've got 15 guests. It would be great to have about 25 at the end of August and the last five being announced in september. So ten more guests in the next six weeks. Three at the end of July, four in mid-July and another three at the end of that month. Does it sound possible ? :blink:

4) Lee Majors...Poor ol Lee Majors. He's been around since the dawn of time and that’s also the last time one of his shows was popular. He doesn’t possess the iconic stature that, say Burt Reynolds does, he's more of an after thought you would use to fill up tables.

are you kidding? Lee Majors is awesome and i cannot wait to meet him. For me he is right up there with some of the other best guest showmasters have had before eg - clint howard, leo rossi, david naughton, joe pantaliano etc.

Clint Howard? Jeez - wasn't he the kid in Gentle Ben??????????

Yeah, Ron's little brother, that's him. He was at C5. Before your time Mike ?

I have never got Andy Hallett, because i refuse to pay the digusting entrance fee that was being charged at the other events hes done. I have got Robert Davi before, but I am glad hes returning as I need to complete my photo of him and joe Pantaliano B) Robert Englund will hopefully have photos of him with Heather Langenkamp

I have never got Andy Hallett, because i refuse to pay the digusting entrance fee that was being charged at the other events hes done.

B)

Are you going to the talks at C8 ? Are you doing the party ? How many guests are you interested in ?

i really don;t understand how andy hallet has been dubbed a so called "convention whore" or whatever you called him. to my knowledge he has done about 5 events in the space of three years!! And might i add to what davey boy said, they have all been conventions and not signing events like collectormania. i imagine a lot of buffy fans , especially the cm buffy fans will not have met andy before and thus he will be a very popular guests as he was one of the main cast on angel! so i would hardly say andy is in the same league as peter mayhew and kenny baker when it comes to attending cons and signings!

people like Robert englund will always be popular.. noes is a classic horror film and freddy is an iconic figure in the world of horror. i magine people everyday are discovering that movie and hence the need to meet the man who played him. i still haven't met him and have been to 2 events where he has been in attendance, but i will make a point of getting his auto now.

as for Robert davi, well i would say it is pretty obvious why he has been asked back. atlantis. he was in the mid season episode the storm and the eye and will prove very popular with sg fans, becuase he played a good (in my mind) villian. i know i will be getting himt o sign a couple of sga photos anyway!

yep, he was at c5 and is one of the nicest guests i have ever met. The man is a cult icon, so many great horror movies he has starred in like evil speak and ice cream man. Also non horror movies such as the austin powers trilogy and grand theft auto (directed by his brother ron, clint is in all ron's movies).

Surely whether the guests interest you at the moment is purely a matter of personal choice. At the moment I'm only getting one autograph but that doesn't mean that I feel that the guest line up is poor - it just isn't for me. There is an intriguing mix of retro (Lee Majors, Batman guests, Buck Rogers reunion), stars from old favourites (Nick Brendon, Nana Visitor), cult film guests (Davi, Englund) and newer shinier guests (Battlestar Galatica)

I will agree that many of the guests are indeed repeat signers - Andy has done a vast number of UK events, Nick will have appeared at a convention mere weeks before appearing (and slightly off topic to address Sydney's "disgusting entrance fee" quote- please bear in mind that at conventions as opposed to signing events the entrance fee includes a free autograph from each guest - meaning they are frequently more cost effective than signing events), Robert Englund has done a Collectormania event before etc but as long as they are popular repeat guests what is the problem? The one autograph I am getting is Nick's because (before I got wise to the poor quality of the free photos) the pic I got autographed at a previous Collectormania event was a very poor season 1 promo and I would quite like to get a pic of his new show Kitchen Confidential signed.

You may not be impressed with the line up but that doesn't mean that it is objectively poor.

and slightly off topic to address Sydney's "disgusting entrance fee" quote- please bear in mind that at conventions as opposed to signing events the entrance fee includes a free autograph from each guest - meaning they are frequently more cost effective than signing events

Yes, exactly the point I wanted to reach when I asked my questions above. Free autographs from 6-10 guests, 2 talks from each guest, three free parties, guests mingling with the crowd, no rush during the autograph sessions and a possibility to make official pictures with the guests, I don't think the price is "disgusting". This is not a critic at all towards SM events. Those are signing events and have nothing to do with conventions. I don't like people moaning about the other events, especially when they have never tried doing one.

I forgot to mention that additional autographs are either 8 or 10 £ and not 15/20 £ !!

You may not be impressed with the line up but that doesn't mean that it is objectively poor.

Exactly and sometimes I wish I find more poor line-ups. That way, I could simply skip those events from my ever-growing list.

Edited by lams9999

I have never got Andy Hallett, because i refuse to pay the digusting entrance fee that was being charged at the other events hes done.

wot disgusting entrance fee ... it was a ticket for a 3 day convention including 'talks.parties.autograpghs' not an entrance fee :D

The problem is people assuming 'new' guests.

Ever since C4 people now expect brand new major stars to do signings, which was rarely the case.

These events have always catered for sci-fi and cult fans, and this is a line-up for that end. It is a good solid line up, with a good range of guests. Im not really interested in most sci-fi, but will be meeting the Batman guests. They may have done events before, but if theyre successful bring them back. Its different if someone appears every year, or at LFCC then the next Collectormania, but this isnt the case.

I think some people need to stop wishing for unlikely guests, and also to be patient. Its OCTOBER for crying out loud. At least wait till September before complaining of a lack of guests. Eh?

Well said!

And if i might add if none of the guests tickle your fancy DONT GO! :P

What, so you just accept it, tough luck ? You aren't allowed to lobby for guests you want, or to point out a particular area that SMs might be neglecting ?

I do agree though that there is plenty of time left for announcements. I think a lot of people are still strung up about the late (and absent) L3 announcements. Any day now we'll see "Guest announcements Friday at 7pm" pinned at the top of the forum, and things will be right with the world again ! :P:D

At what point did i say you cant lobby for guests, or point out an area sms are neglecting?? All im saying is there is more than enough time for people to be announced. I've been lobbying for Mark Hamill and Frank oz for bout 18 months they havent come but it doesnt meen ill stop asking for them. But if when it gets closer to collectormania there arent the guests i like there what can anyone do about it apart from not go?

And i also think the "scrapin the barrel" is a bit much cos some people will love those guests :o

I still dont understand how people come to the conclusion that just because the guests are not their personal favourites and preferences, the line-up is apparently rubbish. :o:lol:

I also can't believe that some still think the only people who attend shows are members of this forum. Its quite ridiculous! :lol:

People are pissed because in there "view" the guests suck. It is all down to personal preference. There are Buffy and Trek fans at this moment going nuts with anticipation and there are fans of other cult shows/films just sat there with nothing. Im sure it will all come good by October

People are pissed because in there "view" the guests suck. It is all down to personal preference. There are Buffy and Trek fans at this moment going nuts with anticipation and there are fans of other cult shows/films just sat there with nothing. Im sure it will all come good by October

To be honest, even though I'm a Buffy/Trek fan, I'm more excited by the other guests so far : Lee Majors, Robert Englund, Robert Davi and Tricia Helfer. I've already met Andy and Nana (but it will be a pleasure to meet them again) and I don't know exactly what to expect from Nick Brendon as I read different stories from the people who've met him last time.

wot disgusting entrance fee ... it was a ticket for a 3 day convention including 'talks.parties.autograpghs' not an entrance fee :lol:

Absolutely these events are very good value for money if into that specific show/genre.

wot disgusting entrance fee ... it was a ticket for a 3 day convention including 'talks.parties.autograpghs' not an entrance fee :firedevil:

Absolutely these events are very good value for money if into that specific show/genre.

Yeah if they ever did one for anything decent :jason: I would be there like a shot. They do offer great value for money

Yeah if they ever did one for anything decent :firedevil: I would be there like a shot. They do offer great value for money

What kind of event would you like ?

At the beginning of this year, there should have been an event called Necronomicon with Bruce Campbell as the main guest. Unfortunately it had to be cancelled. Would you have been interested ?