-The Event-

Calumn

Hmm my views.

Location was great and unlike Wembley I didn't need to walk miles when I got off my tube.

Catering in the building was awful. I came with my 3 year old as I had no sitter and when it came to lunch, she had to remain sat in a buggy as the seating was high stools, totally impractical for anyone very young or old. No 3 year old wants to eat Bree and walnut sandwiches for hecks sake, it would have been nice to see a plain and simple cheese around. The prices for food were distgusting as was the taste of the £3.50 pap I ate.

Baby change? We're not all 18 year olds with no kids here.

I didn't get to try the main restaurant simply because no-one knew where the stairs up to it were.

I'd prefer to see the venue non-smoking. Not because I recently gave up, but because I spent enough time picking fag ends up off my shoes, my eyes were streaming by the end of the day and I stank of them.

Talks, I've mentioned this to the SM guys before but Tiered seating is the only way to go, I was on the second row behind a lady who's huge hair meant I only heard the talk.

The queues need to maybe have a few more ropes and be longer so people standing staring don't block the view, move the signing area back a little, there was half a hall behind them and it would have meant people could walk at that end of the building instead of being stuck in one spot.

Litter bins?

Get rid of the dvd copies, it just lowers the event.

Can I just point out though, i had a great time, Ron, Sarah and Xander made my day and it was worth coming.

Edited by Little Miss Idiot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my comments...

Positive - Went on Saturday, enjoyed the show, glad I finally got to meet Charisma, and was allowed to take couple of piccies whilst she signed. Sarah / Xander and Johnathan Breck were all very pleasant and made great guests. The number of dealer stalls were good. Really liked the venue - more space than Wembley and MK. Cashpoint handy. Stewards all pleasant and helpful as were the earls court staff. Was impressed with the organisation of getting a large waiting Q into the venue in what appeared to be record time. :D

Negatives - Not nearly enough seating, for those times when you just want to rest those weary legs (and who on earth put the chairs opposite the Qs for he autos (cant tell you how many times I nearly fell over someones feet!!) :lol: The signing area was cramped and could have done with moving back a couple of foot. The eating facilities appalling expensive and lacking in choice. The announcements over loudspeakers were not in line with the information provided on the wipe dry boards. The dealer stalls lacked variety.

Well I enjoyed the event!

I went both days, arriving at just after 12 on the Sat and before opening on the Sun. I was impressed by how quickly they managed to get everyone in on Sun morning.

I only got 3 autos - Daxid Dixon, Xander Berkeley and Ron Perlman. Was going to get Jeff Wayne but decided against it when I found out he was £20. Would have got Val as well if he had been there. I wish I'd got John Barrowman as well after seeing his talk.

The venue was quite good. I hadn't been to either of the LFACCs at Wembley so can't compare the 2 venues. It was quite easy to find (I came out of the wrong tube station exit the first time and ended up walking the long way around!).

The food in the venue was reallly overpriced. We saw a turkey roll which looked nice but at almost £6 we decided it could stay looking nice! Luckily the central location made it very easy to get food outside the venue.

The dealer stands were mostly the usual but it was quite nice to actually be able to get to them to have a look at what they were selling!

What I thought would have been a good idea would be to have the guests spead out a little more. They were all in 1 tightly packed line and there was plenty of space for them to be a little more spread out. I think this would have helped ease the crowding that happened around that area.

It certainly wasn't the best SM event I have been to but I did enjoy it.

Food....bad, expensive, I was eating on a budget (£2) so I had to go to Mccdonalds and I couldn't think of the nearest one so I ended up leaving to go to Tottenham Court Road because that was the only nearest place I could think of that definately had one!

My god! You went from Earls Court to Tottenham Court Road just for a McDonalds!!! Wow!

Hehe, yeah. Ah the things I would do for cheap food.

I counted up the amount of trains I went on on SAturday......12 different trains.....10 tubes, 2 Normal trains....wow.

KIWI :lol:

All in all I had a great time.

The venue was easy to get to

the price was right

we got in pretty quickly once the queue started moving

there were plenty of stalls with a good choice of merchendise (could have done with a bit more ST:Voyager stuff like mugs, posters etc, but I was very happy with what I did get - at a reasonable price)

the loos were exceptionally clean and tidy for a con. I think they were the best I've ever seen. I certainly

wasn't cringing in embarrassment for my country as I was in Blackpool at "Voyager: The Return".

I only have one quick question. This didn't affect me cos I got my sig early, but at one point I noticed the auto price for Kate M being changed and 'up to' added on some white boards on Saturday, and the cost going up significantly. What was that about? I'd like to know cos I was on a budget and probably will be again next time, so if sig prices are going to shoot up, I'd like to know why. Thanks :)

Edited by JCgroupie

• Showmasters Admin
I only have one quick question. This didn't affect me cos I got my sig early, but at one point I noticed the auto price for Kate M being changed and 'up to' added on some white boards on Saturday, and the cost going up significantly. What was that about? I'd like to know cos I was on a budget and probably will be again next time, so if sig prices are going to shoot up, I'd like to know why. Thanks :)

It wasn't her auto price, it was her Virtual Ticket numbers that were going up.

She was £20 all day, both days.

I only have one quick question. This didn't affect me cos I got my sig early, but at one point I noticed the auto price for Kate M being changed and 'up to' added on some white boards on Saturday, and the cost going up significantly.  What was that about? I'd like to know cos I was on a budget and probably will be again next time, so if sig prices are going to shoot up, I'd like to know why. Thanks :)

It wasn't her auto price, it was her Virtual Ticket numbers that were going up.

She was £20 all day, both days.

:blush: Oh, right! I see now! 'Scuse me while I die of embarrassment. :blush::lol: Thanks for that :)

Crew Friendliness - 7/10

Some of the crew around Charisma just seemed rude and to be honest clueless as to how to handle people in general. I felt rushed and hounded all the way through, I was rushed in got a tiny scrawl and then was hounded away, despite the fact my girlfriend was getting an auto just behind me we managed three extremely blurred pics.

id love to know how you came to this conclusion. And to be fair, you shouldve expected some rushing considering how many people were there to see her. ^_^

Food....bad, expensive, I was eating on a budget (£2) so I had to go to Mccdonalds and I couldn't think of the nearest one so I ended up leaving to go to Tottenham Court Road because that was the only nearest place I could think of that definately had one!

My god! You went from Earls Court to Tottenham Court Road just for a McDonalds!!! Wow!

Hehe, yeah. Ah the things I would do for cheap food.

I counted up the amount of trains I went on on SAturday......12 different trains.....10 tubes, 2 Normal trains....wow.

KIWI :P

^_^ there was a burger king around the corner.lol

I thought the event was, in many respects, lacklustre (bloody good word), and agree with much of what has been said regarding photos, Val, dealers (Hmmm, i was one, and take your points...), seating etc...

I had a bloody good time though, on the stall with my girlfriend and friend and his girlfriend, way too much alcohol (bought from the shop down the road...Earls court £20 for a bottle of wine!!!!!!!), got my autos, Adam and John being two really nice guys seemingly!), Charisma was OK, Kate was pretty cool, and Glen Larson was nice too. My girlfriend was gonna get Johns on Sunday...he wasnt there...oops! (she just luuurves him!).

Think i'll post a thread about dealer experiences,be interesting to hear what others think...

Having done the last 'other london fair' which had A LOT to do, i really thought SM would have competed more, pulling the stops out as advertised...

As i said, i had a lot of fun, but as an event? Not so sure, similar feeling to Wembley event, too spacious, lacking in atmosphere...sorry...

Stewards - I thankfully didn't have to have many dealings with them as I've been to so many of SM events over the last couple of years and therefore pretty much knew how things would work. I did come across a couple of really good stewards, one of which was working the front of Kate's queue this morning - very nice, friendly guy who politely advised us what we could do for photos, and when we had taken a couple, politely asked us to move on - this is how it should be done. I unfortunately also had dealings with someone who was completely the opposite and downright rude, as did one of my friends.

That was me!

Thank you for your compliments - unfortunately, though my manner didn't change throughout the day, people did seem to be getting less inclined to listen to me!

My general reaction to the event is this though....

There is never likely to be an event that pleases everyone at all. This isn't to say that this event didn't have it's bad points, some of the points raised I wholeheartedly agree with, but others are maybe a little less universally bad - and down to a matter of personal choice.

I'm not saying "You have to be happy because everyone else seems to be", but unless your concerns are raised in person on the day (there is *always* a helpdesk at Showmasters events), what can be done about them?

I'm now off for a very well earned nice cold beer!

Troy.