Dealers selling pirate DVDs

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long before the advent of DVD pirate copies, the internet and people taking camcorders in to the cinema, both Warner Brothers and MGM STOPPED putting macrovision on their rental and retail videos during the early 90's.

Anyone with 2 VCR's could trundle down to their local video rental shop, hire the new releases, take them home and make as many high quality copies as they wanted in 24 hours.

Film studios give a toss about piracy? Don't make me laugh.

It's only the MPAA and FACT who have got their panties in a twist over all this in order to justify their existence. The Hollywood film industry loves pirate copies cos they work as a free ad for them film.

Legit DVD's are killing the film industry people would rather watch films at home than the cinema. And with all the extortionate cost and inconveniece of going to the cinema, who can blame them.

I live an hour's drive from the nearest cinema, and then it's another £6.50 to get in and that's during the day.

I love my broadband connection.

They stopped macrovision, because it didn't work... I'm sure they also had to pay a licence fee for it, so it was stupid to pay for something that didn't work.

They brought out RCE on DVD's to stop piracy.... doesn't sound like they don't care about piracy to me.

As for legit DVD's killing the film industry.... don't be stupid. The film companies make a packet from DVD sales, they don't care WHERE their $ comes from, cinema or DVD. DVD 'may' be killing the cinema industry (although the rise in the number of multiplexes suggests otherwise).

As a side note, you are actively advertising on here that you break copywrite laws... that in itself is none too bright as IP addresses can be traced.

Keep it real. piracy may effect minor things but established things like both Star Wars and LOTR wouldn't be effected the way other films would be realistically.

Minor things? Like independent films perhaps? Smaller films? Small bands trying to get a break? Did you read my post? That was the whole point - piracy may not hurt people like George Lucas, but it massacres the little guy trying to get a break in the industry.

How many PC fairs have you been to where you see a guy in a duffle bag selling computer programs worth a couple of hundreds of pounds, at the street corner for a mere £5 bucks?

Even those people you mentioned do bootlegging and they themselves may have worked in a company making and selling software legit at one time, now sell those copies on the side too?!

What and that makes it right does it? Just because everyone does it? I needn't point out where this attitude has been employed before in history, with disastrous results. Bottom line, if you had borrowed £30k to make a film, and I reached into your bag while you were down the pub and took it, made a copy, and put it on the internet the next day, imagine how you would feel? All of your hopes had gone in to that. How exactly are you going to forge a career when no-one is willing to pay for your merchandise? I would have STOLEN from you. This is no different.

Guess you're finding out that the world's more two-faced than even you've realised?

I don't think it's a question of being two-faced - rather it's a question of people not being able to comprehend the world at the end of their nose.

Guess you're finding out that the world's more two-faced than even you've realised?

I don't think it's a question of being two-faced - rather it's a question of people not being able to comprehend the world at the end of their nose.

Dude thier is millions of dumbass`s out there, you can`t change it. You could but it would involve a cull that would make Hitler look like Mickey Mouse on happy pills. Its unfortunate but we need the stupid to do the menial jobs :D

As long as there is an appetite for pirate dvds, sellers will continue to sell them on bootstalls, on the net or even at cons. They are just satisfying a requirement if you dont like them or dont agree with them dont buy them, simple really. You will never ever stop this the market is too huge something like 50 billion in asia where alot of these pirate films come from.

I used to know someone who used to do this for a job, he would sit at his pc all day copying films and selling them through the post. he earned more money than me doing this, just think no taxes, no N.I, but the risk is of course higher, but thats the chance you take. Most people have brought a dodgy film or bit of pirate software at one time or another and those who say they havent are bloody lyers.

I dont agree with it, dont get me wrong I just put up with it as its one of lifes evils that one has to live with.

SM should do and have done the right thing by dobing them in to Fact or TS.

To be fair I will buy them every so often, but that is only the occasional film that looks ok but I won`t pay £14 to go to the cinema when I can get them 3 for £10.

I must admit I do too, trouble is the retailers take the biggest chunk, sometimes up to 80 %

They shouldnt charge so much should they!

• Moderators
I used to know someone who used to do this for a job, he would sit at his pc all day copying films and selling them through the post. he earned more money than me doing this, just think no taxes, no N.I, but the risk is of course higher, but thats the chance you take. Most people have brought a dodgy film or bit of pirate software at one time or another and those who say they havent are bloody lyers.

Yep I know someone just like that, and it does bug me a bit .. I was amazed at how much he was making!

I didn't even have time to look round LFACC so I wasn't aware of the pirated stuff til I read it on here.

I admit to having watched a few, although not many because I get pissed off at the crap quality really lol sitting here watching really dark film thinking "wait, what was that?" isn't so fun! Yet at the same time I don't like cinema prices because they're ridiculously high .. I tend to be a DVD kinda guy, but even those I wish were cheaper. R1/imported stuff is the best way right now.

I admit to having watched a few, although not many because I get pissed off at the crap quality really lol sitting here watching really dark film thinking "wait, what was that?" isn't so fun!

This is the downside of buying copied films, some are superb quality 'Screeners' and some are bad cam jobs, with someones head in the way or someone going to the toilet half way through the film.

Its just the chance you take when buying pirate films.

but jack maybe you are lucky to live in a place, where films are actually shown for more than a week?

our local cinema runs films for either one week or about a month after they have been released! Its a nightmare round here...........and they have closed down our nearest biggest cinema. Try going to see films around here! LOL

Dude thier is millions of dumbass`s out there, you can`t change it. You could but it would involve a cull that would make Hitler look like Mickey Mouse on happy pills. Its unfortunate but we need the stupid to do the menial jobs.

*sigh* idiots come in all forms don't they? ;)

Whats that in aid of, do you even know me at all eh? I actually said i agree with MikeDonovan, so YOU sucking up with your chidlish comment towards me i just a trollish attempt to start trouble Dom.

You obviously too comfortable posting trash like that online. mouth off to somebody in real life like that and see where it takes you?

What kind of dickhead going to put that down, then this:

To be fair I will buy them every so often, but that is only the occasional film that looks ok but I won`t pay £14 to go to the cinema when I can get them 3 for £10.

Yeah like thats smart. There are (proper selling of "there" not 'thier') millions of dumbasses out there. And you happen to be one of them o.k. :P

I never said it was o.k to bootleg i'm just laying it out the cold and hard facts of the matter which conflict with MikeDonovan's. I'm sure he didn't ask you to jump in and suck up to him thinking your taking sides......(sarcasm) dude!

Far as MikeDonovan's concerned.

Minor things? Like independent films perhaps? Smaller films? Small bands trying to get a break? Did you read my post? That was the whole point - piracy may not hurt people like George Lucas, but it massacres the little guy trying to get a break in the industry.

Yeah i read your post, and you didn't outline that so quit trying to make out. You meant to say that from the start. No point being subtle on a post like this. Just come out and say it, don't try to imply anything later cos your trying to make up for what you really wanted to say after all.

What and that makes it right does it? Just because everyone does it? I needn't point out where this attitude has been employed before in history, with disastrous results. Bottom line, if you had borrowed £30k to make a film, and I reached into your bag while you were down the pub and took it, made a copy, and put it on the internet the next day, imagine how you would feel? All of your hopes had gone in to that. How exactly are you going to forge a career when no-one is willing to pay for your merchandise? I would have STOLEN from you. This is no different.

Oh i comprehend alright. and i don't look and any situation like what if i were in that position cos i'm not. you can understand certain things in life without living in another person's shoes all the time. Sorry but that kind of logic is too simple. you could apply that level of thinking to practically everything. what if

Nope, you'll find out MikeDonovan that kind of attitude is employed and exists in reality everyday. So yeah while i disagree and see many of your points on the issue. i disagree with the way to put them across.

Criminals sell and trade weapons like guns (a real Important issue actually more serious than piracy) to folks, ordinary schmoes. That isn't right, but it happens doesn't it?

While bootlegging in many forms exists. You're reading into the situation to deeply. While it isn't right, money is still made even if your product is bootlegged, official copyrighted stuff or not. which is exactly what several people here have implied. Studios still make tons of money despite the piracy which looms. And the little guy in the market getting effected by piracy? Point made, true i agree. But even he/she sticks around to do something about it. Like try try try, again.

Crime does happen. but that doesn't mean their life is over as you're implying.

You pick yourself up and stick around to try again. the little guy's gotta work harder than the studio remember.

How many PC fairs have you been to where you see a guy in a duffle bag

Big duffle bag, is it? Escapologist, is he? ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist it!) But seriously...

selling computer programs worth a couple of hundreds of pounds, at the street corner for a mere £5 bucks?

I'm not sure I get your point. I've seen blokes on street corners selling heroin as well. I assume that it's not now legal and socially acceptable to do so, so am I not allowed to feel aggrieved by that either?

I'm not sure I get your point. I've seen blokes on street corners selling heroin as well. I assume that it's not now legal and socially acceptable to do so, so am I not allowed to feel aggrieved by that either?

Did you report it to the police? ;)

Sorry, now i can't resist TommyT. The fact being, some people here wish to jump on the backs of others who don't report the bootleggers selling pirated DVD's.

Far as my quote goes?

selling computer programs worth a couple of hundreds of pounds, at the street corner for a mere £5 bucks?

Quite logical. Some of the software designers Mikedonovan was going on about. Make and write the software programs for the companies they work for right? now some of them themselves, then sell the expensive programs they or thers write of developed for a mere few bucks on the street?

Point is, while the companies sell them for hundreds of pounds. They know the software isn't really worth all that much. Its the developers your really paying for writing the software in the first place. But the company reaps the benefits y taking large mounts of the profits of the product selling. Commerical that is.

Point about the bootleggers is, they are selling you copied software or be that pirated DVD's as the subject of this thread is about right. Dirt cheap, cos for one they know what it basically boils down to i.e. How much it's really worth. And secondly they know people will buy the cheaper goods rather than shell out for the official ones which cost tons of money. i was making the point of how some of the people writng the software for computer software and those that copy DVD's work in the industry i.e. the little man MD was going on about. May actually be doing some bootlegging themselves?

Thats the point!

I don't agree with it half the time. BUT THIS DOES HAPPEN!

And none of this schoolboy 'simply simon' routine of what if you were in their shoes business is going to make anyone here absolutely right over another person in this discussion is all. your going to have to discuss this with strong facts not, but if you were in their shoes "crapola" all the time. I'm not in their shoes thats the whole point, otherwise i'd be a pirate DVD bootleggers or selling computer software wouldn't it. i'm not. But it doesn't mean i'm ignorant of how i can identify with the situation and how i look upon it with my own opinions and give you a well thought out discussion on the matter, thats if several of you are up to it?

Disagree with me all you want to. But i'm not an idiot. I understand alot of things on this subject and respect some other people's opinions too. But just cos you don't agree with me, don't fall back on childish lowblows and insults o.k.

Edited by Megafan

Did you report it to the police? ;)

They're not interested - the crims have gone by the time they get there. And I'm not making a citizen's arrest on somebody who's likely to be packing some substantial defence equipment. Frankly in some of the places they'd be more interested in reports of blokes on street corners NOT selling smack, because (a) they'd have a lot less reports that way and (B) they're probably selling Uzis or plutonium or something ;)

Far as my quote goes?

Quite logical. Some of the software designers Mikedonovan was going on about. Make and write the software programs for the companies they work for right? now some of them themselves, then sell the expensive programs they or thers write of developed for a mere few bucks on the street?

Possible. But most of the software developers I've known have been on decent profitshares or bonuses or had good stock options. Or owned or part-owned the company. Screwing the company for a few quid doesn't make much sense there. Neither does risking getting sh*tcanned for theft. Ever seen somebody unofficially blacklisted across an industry because they got caught crossing the line? I have, and in a couple of cases it was over wilful copyright abuse.

Point is, while the companies sell them for hundreds of pounds. They know the software isn't really worth all that much. Its the developers your really paying for writing the software in the first place. But the company reaps the benefits y taking large mounts of the profits of the product selling. Commerical that is.

It's the developers you're paying for writing the software.

And the testers for testing it all. And whoever designs the look of the CD and it's box.

And the people who manufacture it, and pack it and ship it.

And the marketing of it all.

And the equipment you wrote it on and tested it on. And the premises that house it all. And the phone lines and the net connections and the electricity, and the depreciation of equipment. And the business rates, and the corporation tax and the VAT and the employer's National Insurance contributions, and maybe other costs like employee pensions and medical cover and office catering, and the cost of borrowing capital to pay for all this, and the fact that it may not sell at all well and there's no profit guaranteed. And the fact that you have to put some of that profit back towards the next cost of developing the next program.

The cost is a whole lot more than some developer's time and the cost of a disc.

Point about the bootleggers is, they are selling you copied software or be that pirated DVD's as the subject of this thread is about right. Dirt cheap, cos for one they know what it basically boils down to i.e. How much it's really worth. And secondly they know people will buy the cheaper goods rather than shell out for the official ones which cost tons of money. i was making the point of how some of the people writng the software for computer software and those that copy DVD's work in the industry i.e. the little man MD was going on about. May actually be doing some bootlegging themselves?

It's "worth" what you can get some mug to pay for it, whether that be £2, a fiver or a tenner. And they completely underestimate the cost or the value of it. And people who buy it, well, in the long run it'll be partly there own fault if there is less choice in the movie industry or software industry because less things succeed financially. "Little people" on the inside involved in bootlegging? Maybe a few, but there are always some who soil their own patch. But generally they get caught. Most of the bootleggers are outside the industries.

Take another industry. A drug company comes up with a new wonder drug to cure disease X, and some unscrupulous soul rips off the formula and knocks out cheap copies in the far east or something. All well and good you may think, except the drug company makes no money on it's product. You've now got disease Y, and shucks, that was next on the drug company's list of diseases to work on, but since they now don't have the $1 billion needed to develop a new drug, you'll just have to die instead.

And none of this schoolboy 'simply simon' routine of what if you were in their shoes business is going to make anyone here absolutely right over another person in this discussion is all. your going to have to discuss this with strong facts not, but if you were in their shoes "crapola" all the time. I'm not in their shoes thats the whole point, otherwise i'd be a pirate DVD bootleggers or selling computer software wouldn't it. i'm not. But it doesn't mean i'm ignorant of how i can identify with the situation and how i look upon it with my own opinions and give you a well thought out discussion on the matter, thats if several of you are up to it?

I think I understand what you mean there, although I'm not sure where it came from.

Here's a thought. How would all these people who are happy to pirate copyrighted material feel if somebody stole their work, especially if they then sold it on. How would they like their pay cut because of it ("well you can always cut your outgoings, don't worry, it's just the way of the world"). How about if I used their car when they weren't using it? I mean, it wouldn't inconvenience them. And I'm sure they wouldn't notice that the petrol consumption was up, and it took a bit less time for the next service to be due, and the value came off their car a bit quicker. Why should they get so defensive just because it's theirs? Just give me the spare keys and tell me when I can go out in it for a bit of a burn...

Disagree with me all you want to. But i'm not an idiot. I understand alot of things on this subject and respect some other people's opinions too.  But just cos you don't agree with me, don't fall back on childish lowblows and insults o.k.

Hey, the duffle bag thing was just a joke, and you did set me up for it. ;)

No, it wasn't directed at your duffle bag gag TommyT, that was actually funny o.k. i do have a sense of humor about it!! B)

But seriously, if you're in that industry you already know for a fact. Somebody somewhere going to copy and bootleg your stuff? Nuff said.

It's like the government suddenly coming out saying you can't use the record button on your VCR to record a programmes off TV cos your copying something like TV programs and might keep them in the long run. (something technically is actually surprisingly true?)

Try all they might. that won't and can't ever happen.

No, it wasn't directed at your duffle bag gag TommyT, that was actually funny o.k. i do have a sense of humor about it!!  :D

But seriously, if you're in that industry you already know for a fact. Somebody somewhere going to copy and bootleg your stuff? Nuff said.

It's like the government suddenly coming out saying you can't use the record button on your VCR to record a programmes off TV cos your copying something like TV programs and might keep them in the long run. (something technically is actually surprisingly true?)

Try all they might. that won't and can't ever happen.

Hmmm. First of all, referring to your earlier posts, I don't think anyone on here is calling you an idiot, so don't get too defensive. Also, in the same spirit, I don't want to get pedantic but it's best not to start criticizing others for their spelling, grammar, etc. whilst simultaneously making spelling and grammar errors in your own posts.

You have made a few good points, but mostly you have missed the key issue.

If you want, for example, a free operating system, go and download linux + KDE. If you want a free version of Microsoft Office, go get Open Office. Can't be bothered? Want the easy life that Windows gives you? Then pay for it. Windows is the product it is because Microsoft have invested millions into it, and the only way they can do that is if you pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, get linux - end of story. Hence you have no argument where software is concerned.... if you can't be bothered for whatever reason to either a) pay for a product or b ) use a 'free' equivalent then as far as I'm concerned you are simply a leech, and I will treat you as such.

Same with music. If you want free music, listen to the radio. Want free films? Watch them on ITV. With very few exceptions (i.e. the TV licence fee) no-one forces you to pay for anything you don't want.

The bottom line is this. Stop telling me that, just because it's prevalent within society, that it is right by default. It's not, and this is a childish argument. Pay people for their work, and they will continue to produce it. Give them the respect they deserve.

Edited by MikeDonovan

• Showmasters Admin

Mike - I'd delete one of your 2 previous posts to Megafan. They're almost identical and kind of detract from your point.

I can do it for you but I didn't know which one you wanted to keep.

Edited by Too Tall

Mike - I'd delete one of your 2 previous posts to Megafan. They're almost identical and kind of detract from your point.

That was odd! must have been another message created when I edited it rather than just changing the original :huh::P

That was odd! must have been another message created when I edited it rather than just changing the original :huh::P

Mike, you ARE odd. Lolz! It's all good, though! ;) *Poke*.

Back on topic: I am pleased to say that I am onehundred percent pirate free! :P And I'm staying that way. No offence intended to those that buy/download such things, but I believe that they are totally wrong, because you are denying those talents that provide us with these wonderful films.