why do you collect autographs?

fugaziuk

this question was just raised to me and it has made me wonder- it is odd that quite abit of money is traded for someones signature - something we take for granted as doing everyday! I know i want someones autograph as im a fan of there but why is someones signature so important to us???

I know this is a bit full on but i think it makes for an interesting topic and will keep us busy till the next announcement!

Because i like meeting the guests and it a memento of the special day and it will be worth something in 10-15 years time.

I spent £400 at C7

I am not spending that much at London but it will be close to the fugure.

;)

Edited by BluebizzieB

it will be worth something in 10-15 years time

I sorta disagree - we are living in an age of collectors and the more of an item there is around then the less it is worth. There were less movie stars around in the 40s and 50s and this is why there sign is worth so much now as they were hard to get at the time. I seriousley doubt the auto we get today will be worth as much as the older ones are now

and it will be worth something in 10-15 years time.

I hate to be cynical but not necessarily. Depends on who they are from and how many other people have them. If it's from someone who is on the con circuit a lot and everyone in existance has their auto it won't be valuable!

However I like getting the auto's because it makes the items more special for me and because I like to meet the guests.

I think I have always been someone who likes to collect things. In the recent years, I've been involved in the conventions/signing events and I became addicted ;) I like to collect autographs when you can meet the guests and talk a bit and have a picture with them. I don't care about autographs bought on the web, I want to see the guest sign in front of me. Also I like when they personalise, so I was not too worried about missing James Marsters at C7 because there was no personalisation and no picture with him. I made a few exceptions to this rule in the past but won't probably do it again.

And also I like to think that I have taken many many beautiful girls in my arms ;):P

What is sure is that I don't want to make any money out of it. I will keep these autographs forever.

Edited by lams9999

• Showmasters Admin

For me it's about meeting the guest and making something I have more special.

I very rarely get pictures signed. The only ones I have are crew shots from Star Trek. All of my other autos I've always gotten on something. Like Elijah and Sean on my Sting sword scabbard, JRD has signed 2 axes for me, or I get Buffy guests to sign my 7 season boxset. It just makes these things more unique and special to me.

And of course in the case of things like axes and swords it makes them worth a shed load more :lol::lol:

And also I like to think that I have taken many many beautiful girls in my arms

and here was me thinking it was just me who thought that!!

sorry guys i know we like them as a memento or whatever - but the question is why a signature ??? why not something else??

why is it that the sign is so important???

• Showmasters Admin

I think what a lot of people are saying is, it's NOT really about the autos.

But I think the answer is that it's something unique to that person that can be easily shared. What else could you get?? A lock of hair :lol: We'd have lots of bald guests :lol:

Edited by Too Tall

I must admit that whilst I would always prefer to meet the people in person and get their auto, I have bought a couple over the web from very reputable dealers (I know people will say even then you can't know for sure that they are real) but they are for people I will never meet. I.e. Richard Dean Anderson. He will probably never do a con/signing event so I decided to buy through a company associated with the show and the auto's are going to be a more genuine that many of the ones on Ebay. At the end of the day as long as i'm happy with them and believe they are real, that's all that matters.

Like I said, the signature is just a bonus. I'd like to collect pictures with something cool written on it and with my name on it, so that I can *prove* I really met the guests. The pictures with the guests are the most funniest part and that's why I hate the "no posed pictures" rule ! Sometimes I had pictures with some guests without having collected their autographs (Burt is one famous example).

interesting question. I dunno why i collect them - I am a huge fan of films and especially actors and I just enjoy meeting them. the autograph is like something to keep from that experience I guess. Photographs I take off the stars are equally important to me. The photograph and autograph is like a memory from the experience I guess! :uhoh:

I collect autographs becuase I want to meet the people in the films and television programmes I enjoy to watch. I can also say to people that I met these film stars, it also makes me feel like I accomplished something (as sad that may sound to some people) and it just feels good inside.

Especially when the people I meet are such nice people. Case in point, Bruce Spence and Ian Whyte for instance. They were really nice blokes and not big heads like some other film stars would be.

Meeting the guest is the thing for myself and that is why I try to go to full weekend conventions if there are guests I would like to ask questiosn etc in a talk environment. Talks at signing events like LFACC and CM are short and not the same relaxed atmosphere as a proper convention. Once I start collectiing autos from a series or a film, it then becomes a challenge to meet the entire or as much of the cast as possible. I tend to buy a group cast photo to get autos on as it looks nice framed.

As regards valuation, it depends on the actor or actress. Age is irrelevant. It is the rarity of the autograph and on what it is signed.

If the person signing does so on a limited edition print etc etc then it's value increases.

But hey, I go to meet the cast member. I never sell and I never keep count of how much I spend as I might have a heart attack.

An autograph or signature is the most personal thing a person can give and I think this is why it appeals to so many people.

No two signatures are exactly the same and so each is unique, meaning that if you have someone's sig then you have something that no one else could ever have (unless you sell it of course) :P

Well that's my silly little perspective anyway. :P

I agree with what a lot of people have mentioned already.

For me, it isn't about the auto at all. If it was, I would probably take something unique for them to sign instead of just a photo.

It's funny, but I have never looked at any of my autos as money makers. I have never got someones auto and though, "hmm..that will be worth something in ten years time" . This probably explains why I prefer personalised autos too...call me sentimental, but it's more special to me when it it personalised and there is no way I would sell it on.

I specifically go to meet the guest, the auto is just an added 'bonus', which is why I am not fussed that it is only a photo that they sign, (besides, a photo is easily portable and doesn't weigh too much :P ).

If I came away from an event with no autos, but having had positive meetings with my idols, then I would be a happy bunny indeed :P