• Sean Astin as Sam
    • Dom Monaghan as Merry
    • Billy Boyd as Pippin
    • Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn
    • Sean Bean as Boromir
    • Orlando Bloom as Legolas
    • John Rhys Davies as Gimli
    • Ian McKellen as Gandalf

Okay... Now... Which actor - specific to the group who comprised the literal fellowship - did the best job at portraying their character in the films? Who do you think best brought the Prof's vision to life?

Given I can't do more than 10 options, I shall have to do more than one poll! Part two coming soon!!!

Resha.

Good poll!

I would have to say Ian McKellen for this...his portrayal of Gandalf (especially Gandalf the Grey) was exactly how I imagined Gandalf to be!

That might be because there have been so many illustrations of him beforehand, including many by John Howe etc...but I still think, out of the above options, Ian did the best job with his character!

:wub:

Good grief, what a hard question, they all did a fantastic job and the casting was spot on.

Viggo was exceptional as Aragorn. I did have my doubts at first though, but that was only a physical thing, and how I had forseen him in the books. After the first scene, there was no doubt in my mind he was Aragorn and now I cannot imagine him any other way.

My vote goes to Ian McKellen though. As soon as I saw him as Gandalf, he became Gandalf...in fact he IS Gandalf...exactly as I had imagined him to be. He played the character to perfection and there will be no other to surpass nor replace him.

Hi There :D

Originally I would have said Gandalf, because he DOES look and sound exactly as I always imagined him to be.....But unfortunately he came across as rather harsh to me in the films (always snapping and harping on about one thing or another) he just didn't show his true feelings and love for HIS hobbits, like he does in the books, until that one scene right at the end at the 'Grey Havens'.........So for the me the best portrayal of characterization has just got to be Billy as Pippin......So true to the book....Billy is Pippin!!!...But you knew I was going to say that anyway!!!....Didn't you???... :o:P

Yeah... Gandalf was good - even if he was a little gruff, and I think that's a little excusable! He's been around a few years! And if you had to put up with Merry and Pippin all day everyday in addition to the rest of the menagerie, you might be a bit gruff too LOL! I can't actually remember who I voted for... I think it was Viggo... Couldn't say for certain though!

You are the generous one!

Once again... An actor who generated a lot of fans from the film has no votes! What did Mr Bloom do or not do that made him not garner ONE little vote? I know Sir Ian stands out - but asides from being overshadowed, what did The Elf lack?

You are the generous one!

Once again... An actor who generated a lot of fans from the film has no votes! What did Mr Bloom do or not do that made him not garner ONE little vote? I know Sir Ian stands out - but asides from being overshadowed, what did The Elf lack?

For me, it isn't that he lacked anything, I just think there were other actors who did a better job than him.

• 2 weeks later...