To talk or not to talk, that is the question.

I sometimes find it difficult to judge how much you should chat to the guests.

I say this as I was in the Alexis Denisof queue and as I could see there were a lot of people wanting to see him I decided I would not take up much of his time and just get my photo signed and thank him. To my surprise he was really laid back and started asking me questions so I chatted with him for a moment or two. Such a nice guy.

I then moved onto Jolene Blalock, the photo to be signed was taken and given to Miss Blalock. But to no fault of her own the guy in front of me just would not stop talking to her, she signed my photo I got it given back and was not given the opportunity to thank her.

I met Leslie Schofield and spoke to him for a few minutes, but there was no large queue so it did not matter.

With more popular stars like Sean Astin I tend to just thank them and shake their hand as I think it will give them more time to see more people.

How long should you talk to the stars ?

I think in the main it does depend on how long the queue is. From reading your post though, it sounds to me like you have got it sussed already.

However, how bloody rude was the guy in front of you to carry on talking to that guest. His time was up and he should have been moved along. Lets face it you have paid as well to see this guest.

Some people can be so damn selfish, if that ever happened to me, I'd tell them to take a running jump and **** off LOL. to not even be able to get a thank you in i even worst or shake their hands. The rudeness of some people astounds me, it really does.

• Showmasters Admin

I was sat with Leslie on Saturday and he was a great bloke. Happy to chat with anyone, and have pictures taken, even if you didn't get an auto.

He actually found it odd when people took pictures of him from 20 feet away. Anyone that asked had there picture taken with him.

I was sat with Leslie on Saturday and he was a great bloke.

I second that sentiment! He's a little diamond, ain't he?

To my surprise he was really laid back and started asking me questions so I chatted with him for a moment or two. Such a nice guy

LOL! I found Alexis to be incredibly curious aswell. He started off by asking where I got my nickname, then it went onto him discovering my uni course, then he noticed my chair only has one brake and that led to him asking why!!!

Which, in turn, led to him stating I was a very dangerous woman.

For me, the Star of the Show was Nichelle Nichols. She was so beautiful and captivating, it truly was an absolute honor to meet her.

Thank you SM, and can you bring her back?!?

However, how bloody rude was the guy in front of you to carry on talking to that guest. His time was up and he should have been moved along. Lets face it you have paid as well to see this guest.

I always try to met the guests when the queue isn't so long cos I know I'll always have a lot to talk about.

Irvin Kirshner's queue was quite long and it did move slowly but I wasn't sure if that was cos of his age, the fact that he was signing multiple items or because he chatted a lot.

I spoke to him for quite a bit even though there was a big-ish line behind me but he seemed happy to talk to me. I think its great that guests will talk to you for that long and that we're not rushed off...if they're happy to chat then why should we move on so soon? I spent about five mins there.

But hey, like I said in another post...I think its great if a queue moves slow cos the guests like to chat...it makes the queuing up time all worth it.

If it is a busy guest i always decide what i'm going to say in the queue, but normally i'll just say hi, tell them what my name is ask them how they are etc etc etc. some guests like JRD and alexis actually started the converstions and that was refreshing

some guests like JRD and alexis actually started the converstions and that was refreshing

I know what you mean - some guests are just incredibly chatty. :wub: Royd Tolkien was one, Brian Blessed another, and they're the ones holding up their own queues! :rolleyes:

some guests like JRD and alexis actually started the converstions and that was refreshing

I know what you mean - some guests are just incredibly chatty. :wub: Royd Tolkien was one, Brian Blessed another, and they're the ones holding up their own queues! :rolleyes:

Ahhh Brian Blessed - such a great guy!

I would love to see him and JRD having a chat...it would go on for days lol :lol:

I would love to see him and JRD having a chat...it would go on for days lol :lol:

Yes he was great! When I went to meet him one of the organizers politely asked him if he would speed up a little. His response, something along the lines of -

"I would like to talk to these fine people!"

Great guy. Craig Charles was the same this year. His queue was on 300 when others were up to about 700 :lol:

This was my first event so was not quite sure about this myself but in general I found it was the person I had gone to see who dictated how long I was there. Someone like JRD who had a long queue and still took time to ask you questions was well worth the wait. Jamie Bamber had no one in the queue behind us and took a lot longer with my friend and I, this was on Friday, and even talked to a friend over the phone for a few moments. Common sense and the guest themself then I'd say. B)

I know what you mean - some guests are just incredibly chatty. :D Royd Tolkien was one, Brian Blessed another, and they're the ones holding up their own queues! B)

I would love to see him and JRD having a chat...it would go on for days lol :D

haha me too!!! if you had them and sean astin at a talk there would be the HUGEST microphone fight!!!!!!!

I thought Bernard was lovely, just cos he signed my photo twice!!!

And John started the conversation with mee too, and he was lovely.

he only guest I really didn't enjoy meeting was Sean Astin. I thought he was a little rude and ignorant. I really was looking forward to meeting him, so I was very upset.

Really? Wow, I met Sean too and found him wonderful. He was really good with me as he was my first ever signing, I wanted to bring him home. I guess we all come away with different impressions of people.

i thought Sean was wonderful, i started the conversation and then he happily chatted, and he seemed very cheerful when we met him! he seemed slightly surprised when i said congratulations about his wife being pregnant and he told us that they were expecting a little girl my friend and myself did that weird girly thing and went awww.. how wonderful, after a quick round of good luck, congratualtions he seemed thankful!! he was a great guy to talk to as well as JRD and Bernard Hill ! they were all very friendly and cheerful when i met them all!!

I was sat with Leslie on Saturday and he was a great bloke. Happy to chat with anyone, and have pictures taken, even if you didn't get an auto.

He actually found it odd when people took pictures of him from 20 feet away. Anyone that asked had there picture taken with him.

If people are anything like me, then they wouldn't approach a guest to ask for a photo without paying for an auto first. It's probably just me, but I kind of find this a bit cheeky and I would find it rather awkward to approach a guest in this way.

Having said this though, I admire anyone who has the guts to do it, after all, if a guest isn't busy, then what harm can it do, but I guess it just isn't in my nature. More fool me I guess.

As for conversation with guests...I just take it as it comes. If they are chatty and ask me questions, then I will respond. When I step up to meet someone I have been wanting to meet for ages, everything going on around me just disappears, so I am unaware of what is happening except right in front of me. That goes for the queue behind me too as I am focused on the person I am meeting. I never usually take long anyway :rolleyes:

i specifically waited until sean went to an open queue to go see him even though i had a ticket in the first 50 on sunday i really wanted to speak to him as he was so friendly when i met him before i wanted to take my time and not get rushed through the queue like james, although james carried on talking to me as he started signing someone elses pic (not my fault if it was u first thing on sunday) i asked him how the tour had gone and he started talking about it.

Christian was the most friendlist i found but that was prob cuz i ended up stalking him.

I was with James early on Sunday too, and he continued to chat to me while he was signing the next pic for the person behind me, which I felt a bit guilty about because I didn't want to eat into the next persons time with him. But he was just so nice and open and chatty that I could have talked away to him for ages! :D

I was with James early on Sunday too, and he continued to chat to me while he was signing the next pic for the person behind me, which I felt a bit guilty about because I didn't want to eat into the next persons time with him. But he was just so nice and open and chatty that I could have talked away to him for ages! :D

so that was you you *%"*@# :D