CREW EMAILS AT LAST!

elijahs_ladie

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think this was planned very well really, It said they picked ppl at random yet all the ppl that normally crew got picked. funny that. it also means that ppl that asked to crew after you did get picked. not a very fair way of doing it really.

i wish i knew how they decided it all seems very haphazard!!

but i know someone who has always crewed all the days before and now she has only got two. so i dont think it matters if you have crewed before or not.

*ponders about the system*

all i know is that there are some very upset people at the minute.

=x=

shes still crewing tho isnt she!

yes she is.

but sammys not. and shes crewed before. :unsure:

=x=

I still have no idea either way

awwww no way.

if you dont get one by the end of the night i would email incase something has gone wrong.

=x=

Yeah that was what I was thinking. After all it is a tradition that something goes wrong with my arrangements at some point, his cant be fifth time lucky! ;):P

awwww no way.

if you dont get one by the end of the night i would email incase something has gone wrong.

=x=

Yeah that was what I was thinking. After all it is a tradition that something goes wrong with my arrangements at some point, his cant be fifth time lucky! ;):P

oh dear! you have head problems before then? thats not good!

im sure it will work out htough. i think they are still sending emails.

=x=

awwww no way.

=x=

oh dear! you have head problems before then? thats not good!

im sure it will work out htough. i think they are still sending emails.

=x=

Every time something has gone a bit screwy! At LFaCC1 no one seemed to know I was turning up, at C5 the Hotel had no record of my ever existing but I'd got the name of the person I was supposed to be sharing with and so they let me in only to find out that she thought I was someone else who turned out not to exist! Then at LFaCC2 I was told I was sharing with someone who turned out to be someone else intirely (not all that major but hey!?) Then at C6 they were very suprised to see me on the friday because they thought I'd got the day off except I was off on Saturday instead!!

LOL it's all good though, worked out in the end!

*waits patiently*

Pretty sure those who don't need hotels etc would get picked first, but I think that's a logical move.

They do say when you apply that if you dont require accomodation then you are ore likely to get picked (or at least the application form i filled out did)

Alex

thats no guarantee tho cuz I didn't need accommodation and wasn't picked but ppl who do need it have been so you aren't really more likely to get picked. They said it was random in the rejection emails anywho so you ent really more likely to get picked for anything!!!

First, a general reply to some of the people who we weren't able to fit in to the crew roster, or who didn't get all the days they asked for. I'll try and go back through this thread and answer other specific points where I can afterwards.

For the late notice in sending out crew confirmations, I can only apologise. Mark and Jason wanted to handle the crew themselves, but as things got closer to the event, other factors like getting guests left them short on time; I got asked to help get the roster finished and ready a week ago, and there were last minute guest changes which delayed it going out. There's no question that it would have been better if it could have been finished and out earlier, but I'm not sure we could have done. No one did it deliberately and we did try and get it down as early and as fast as possible.

The problem was (and is) that we needed around 60 crew on Friday and Monday, and had over 150 volunteers, most of whom were willing to do that day and others too. No matter what happened, some were going to be turned down for the end days. Sunday by contrast is very busy, and we are using almost everyone (sadly not quite everyone) who was available for that day.

There was no way we could use everyone who volunteered - many cases it was the days they offered to work (needing a hotel room and not being available on Sunday, the busiest day, was pretty well a killer combination), but for others it was simply luck of the draw - we ran out of places on the crew. I did try and make sure that no one who had to travel was down for only one day (though there are a couple on Sunday in that boat), because I didn't want people in the position of travelling half the country, only to crew for a single day. But no matter what I did, some people would either not be used, or not used for the whole time they offered.

The people on this forum who know me know I hate feeling I've hurt anyone or let them down, and I wouldn't do it deliberately. I'm truly, genuinely sorry about anyone we disappointed by not being able to work with them this time round.

First, a general reply to some of the people who we weren't able to fit in to the crew roster, or who didn't get all the days they asked for. I'll try and go back through this thread and answer other specific points where I can afterwards.

For the late notice in sending out crew confirmations, I can only apologise. Mark and Jason wanted to handle the crew themselves, but as things got closer to the event, other factors like getting guests left them short on time; I got asked to help get the roster finished and ready a week ago, and there were last minute guest changes which delayed it going out. There's no question that it would have been better if it could have been finished and out earlier, but I'm not sure we could have done. No one did it deliberately and we did try and get it down as early and as fast as possible.

The problem was (and is) that we needed around 60 crew on Friday and Monday, and had over 150 volunteers, most of whom were willing to do that day and others too. No matter what happened, some were going to be turned down for the end days. Sunday by contrast is very busy, and we are using almost everyone (sadly not quite everyone) who was available for that day.

There was no way we could use everyone who volunteered - many cases it was the days they offered to work (needing a hotel room and not being available on Sunday, the busiest day, was pretty well a killer combination), but for others it was simply luck of the draw - we ran out of places on the crew. I did try and make sure that no one who had to travel was down for only one day (though there are a couple on Sunday in that boat), because I didn't want people in the position of travelling half the country, only to crew for a single day. But no matter what I did, some people would either not be used, or not used for the whole time they offered.

The people on this forum who know me know I hate feeling I've hurt anyone or let them down, and I wouldn't do it deliberately. I'm truly, genuinely sorry about anyone we disappointed by not being able to work with them this time round.

I was upset but I didn't take it personally. Its just a sucky situation really!

There a huge volume of new volunteers again. Frankly i beleive the more experienced crew should have the days they want and the rest split between the newbies.

Even if we hadn't used a single first timer, we would have had more experienced crew available than we could find places for on Friday and Monday, and not enough willing to work on Sunday. Sunday is extremely busy (probably as many crew needed on that day as the show has ever needed on a single day), and a lot of the experienced crew asked for all or part of that day off.

Plus, it is good to bring in new blood when possible; the crew should not become a clique, and keeping out new people would be the first step in becoming cliquish. Everyone started as a first-timer at some point; how would the experienced people have felt if the first time they had applied to help out at a show they had been told "Well, okay, but only if we run out of the experienced people, you know, the ones we really want to use instead of you. But if we don't have enough good people, we'll consider you."?

We did (and do) value the people who helped at past events, but we also value anyone willing to take that first, sometimes scary step of offering to help out at a show.

• Moderators

Thanks for posting Stuart, I'm sure pretty much everyone is understanding about what has happened now they've calmed down a lil bit. Unfortunately with the events becoming so popular, it must be really hard to work with everyone who applies :wub: Inevitably this means some people will be let down but I know how much you and Mark and Jason care about the crew etc and these events! I'm sure everyone will try their best to attend and make it all a success, whether as a crew member or just visiting :wub:

• Moderators
now they've calmed down a lil bit.

:wub: did I make a bosom of myself!?

Not at all :wub: I can only imagine how annoying and stressful it must be, ur entitled to feel so bad .. just wish there was something I could do for ya!

Maybe also cos of the accomodation. The email said if we wanted the hotel longer SM would release some rooms. I'm more than happy to pay for nights outside the booking SM have for me if they can increase the days i need.

Rooms did make a difference. Apart to the cost for Jason and Mark every time they put someone up, the hotel only had a set number of rooms put by for the show crew each night; we actually exceeded that block booking on the Saturday night. As for booking extra nights outside the ones Showmaster is covering, anyone who wants details, please feel free to e-mail me at the crew e-mail. I won't discuss it on the forum; I want the people who offered to crew but who couldn't fit on the roster to be the ones who get first dibs on any spare hotel rooms.

now they've calmed down a lil bit.

:wub: did I make a bosom of myself!?

Not at all ^_^ I can only imagine how annoying and stressful it must be, ur entitled to feel so bad .. just wish there was something I could do for ya!

um, you could rob a bank for me! that'd solve my problem! :wub:

*cries* no email yet!

Well stuart i think it was...was up until 4am sending em out :wub:

Dont worry - all emails should be sent out by tonight :wub:

Apologies for anyone who was left hanging - the list was (more or less) in alphabetical order of first name, and I went through it in order to try and make sure I didn't miss anyone. I left the people who didn't make the crew to last, not because I wanted to leave them worrying, but because I figured (rightly) one or two of the people who did get on the roster might not be able to make it, which meant that before I sent out the "Thanks but we couldn't use you" letters I was able to turn some that would have been "no" into "yes".

Everyone should have received their letter either way by now, but with e-mail being what it is, and me not being perfect, there might be some people who haven't for whatever reason. If you volunteered and still haven't heard, contact me through the crew e-mail address. If that doesn't get an answer, give Showmasters a call (but try me on the e-mail first).

just wondering if you're only crewing 1 day or something then do u still get accomodation for the whole weekend free from SM's or would u have to pay for the days/nights u aren't working?

As far as it has always worked SM only cover the hotel cost for the night you need if you are working.

Correct.

And as for sharing rooms I think they try to accommodate requests so if you say that you want to share with someone in particular they will try to arrange that. Other than that they decide who is in what room.

If you asked to share with someone specific, and if that other person is crewing (and I tried to keep that in mind as best I could when doing the roster), then we've done our best to fit in with that request. If you didn't specify, then it was a random selection (no gender mixed rooms unless both parties asked for same). Details of who people are sharing with will be sent out shortly; today (yesterday, actually, looking at the clock), I wanted to get out the confirmations as fast as I could.