Repeat guests - good or bad idea ?

dufresne

Should SMs avoid repeating guests or not ?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should SMs avoid repeating guests or not ?

• Never bring a guest back ... EVER !
    • Bring them back after a few shows
    • Bring them back after a few years
    • Bring them back if they or their area is topical
    • Bring back MY favourite guest at all costs cos I love them
    • SMs are great - let them decide !

it seems unfair to make it a "now or never" type deal.

But it's not as if SM owe us any favours. I always treat guests as now or never - I don't think it's unfair at all, they can't arrange the guests around our personal schedules can they?!

I'm not saying they can, but I don't think that was the original point of this thread. The implication seemed to be that once a guest had attended an SM con, they should never be brought back, regardless of their schedule. This, I feel, wouldn't make any sense, so I was stating my opinion. If a guest is available to return and people will pay to meet them, I don't see the problem.

if there is a 'now or never' deal, you

1) block a LOT of ppl from ever meeting a guest (the only convention their schedules fo the rest of their professional life may permit them to attend may well be another SM convention)

2) block SM from making more money.

no, SM should not arrange a guest around our schedules - but NO-ONE would expect them to. the only schedule to work with is the guest's schedule.

SM are the best ppl to figure out which guests should be brought back, and the guest themselves must make the decision when (and indeed if) they whould return. the best that SM can do in any case is to approach guests, and see how they feel about the possibility.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep bring them back after a coupla shows, so it must be time to bring back Rutger Hauer for C7.

As for some guests, they have been to more SM shows than i have, surely the demand for them is pretty much zero.

Whereas the demand for Bruce Campbell and Bill Paxton would be huge *cough* hint *cough*

you obviously either didn't go to c6, or else didn't notice the queue for sala baker/billy boyd.

i understand BOTH are regular guests, because they wish to be and their commitments permit it. however, if they were losing money, no doubt SM would prefer to cut them loose.

i was in billy's queue at LFCC1, after lunchtime on the sunday. as far as i'm aware billy has done a large number of SM events prior to that, yet his queue was still very long.

i would suggest that a guest who has been to so many shows has, in fact, a greater deal of interest in them than many who might only go once - they're seen as reliable and dependable, whereas a once-guest may still pull out right up until the last minute. as such, ppl will take chance more with the return guest than the new guest - not everyone wants the risk of dissapointment.

it seems unfair to make it a "now or never" type deal.

But it's not as if SM owe us any favours. I always treat guests as now or never - I don't think it's unfair at all, they can't arrange the guests around our personal schedules can they?!

I'm not saying they can, but I don't think that was the original point of this thread. The implication seemed to be that once a guest had attended an SM con, they should never be brought back, regardless of their schedule. This, I feel, wouldn't make any sense, so I was stating my opinion. If a guest is available to return and people will pay to meet them, I don't see the problem.

if there is a 'now or never' deal, you

1) block a LOT of ppl from ever meeting a guest (the only convention their schedules fo the rest of their professional life may permit them to attend may well be another SM convention)

2) block SM from making more money.

no, SM should not arrange a guest around our schedules - but NO-ONE would expect them to. the only schedule to work with is the guest's schedule.

My point exactly. Nobody expects SM to work around any schedule but that of the guests.

Reapeat guests can be good It just depends on their popularity.

For instance How many times has Billy Boyd been and gone? There are all these people that say I've met him twice. I haven't had the chance to even see him once.

In the case of some guests that turn up over and over again. It's great to see them again but how many times are you actually willing to pay £10 - £20 for the same persons autograph ??

It's great to see them again but how many times are you actually willing to pay £10 - £20 for the same persons autograph ??

I've never done that and I've revisted a few from or at other shows.

I just go over to thier desk when they aint busy and say "hi" etc. Luckily in my case the ones I have gone over to see again are ones that don't have constant queues.

At the last one at Wembley, there were quite a few stars who didn't seem to have much to do, I don't see much point in bringing them back.

There was a demand for them, it's just that a lot of people couldn't make it cos it was so soon after C6 and the whole issue of Wembley tube being closed etc.

I do think its nice to repeat guests just for those who havent been able to get to a certain show and miss that person but feel that it would be better to have a few shows in between each appearence for the same guest as there are a select few who would attend the opening of an envelope. :angry:

I was only able to see four of the scheduled guests at LFCC 2 (Yaphet Kotto, Carl Weathers, Jenette Goldstein and Michael Ironside) so if they could get some of the guests from LFCC 2 who I wasn't able to meet to come back it would be great.

But new guests are always welcome in my book so over to the SM's it goes.

I haven't read all the posts, but I voted for 'bring them back after a few shows'. Purely and simply because not everyone can attend all of the events in the year, (financially impossible for me), and it gives those people who can't a chance to meet the guests they would have liked to have met.

For example, I would love to meet Andy Serkis but unfortunately didn't get the chance to when he appeared the last few times. It would be nice to know I haven't missed my chance completely.

I think as long as Showmasters continue to bring new guests at each event, there is always room for return appearances, especially if there is a demand for them.

• Moderators

I've met Andy a couple of times now, but just recently I've watched Deathwatch so that'd be cool to discuss with him. I think that's the same with a lot of guests, they cud come back if they've done something new, OR we might wanna see them if we've seen them in something else!

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I agree with what others have said too about the first meet not going to well.

I would like to meet Billy Boyd again simply because C6 was the first time I met him but it was a very disappointing meet. I came away quite unhappy. So I would like to try again.

• Moderators

Awww how come it didn't go too well?

I can understand that .. to be honest I've met a few people more than once, the second time only to chat n say hi and see how they are, thank them for the autograph from the first time etc .. it's quite nice cuz I usually feel a bit more relaxed :D

Awww how come it didn't go too well?

I can understand that .. to be honest I've met a few people more than once, the second time only to chat n say hi and see how they are, thank them for the autograph from the first time etc .. it's quite nice cuz I usually feel a bit more relaxed :D

Well we got there around 15mins after opening and found ourselves with ticket numbers in the hundreds. I asked approximately how long we would have to wait and was told around 4.30/5pm. We were pretty bummed out, but nonetheless, we toddled off to enjoy the rest of the show.

I met everyone I wanted to meet etc etc then went back at around 4.30. We got in the queue, only to be told no posed photos, (I was gutted about this after waiting literally all day). When my turn came, I was pushed to the front, almost ruining someone taking a photo, (even though we were told no posed photos), when I stood in front of Billy, the guy sitting to his right, (minder/agent? *shrugs*), started up a conversation with him about God knows what, and I hardly got a second glance from Billy, not to mention a hello. He kind of just signed my pic sideways and that was it. I was really, really disappointed.

It was a long, long day of waiting and we had hung around for so many hours and from everything I had read from people who had met him before, he was a really nice guy. It's a shame I didn't get to see that.

Even now when I look at that auto, I just feel deflated by the whole experience.

Maybe if there is a next time, I may be able to meet him properly and get a pic with him. So you see, a return visit from him would be great.

I had a similar experience with Robert Englund.

It really is an ache in the balls when you hear nothing but good things about a guest being nice to fans and then when you see them at the end of the day they are not like that at all.

I'd like to meet some of the aliens lot again and ask them some questions and have a longer chat with them. I always think of something to say after i've just walked away from them aswell.

by the way nicky, i came across an aliens forum, www.xenocentral.forums.cc

i couldn't email it to you, it wasnt working for some reason. Sorry for posting this on here, we're not allowed to advertise other sites i think.

anyway i thought you and maybe some other members might be interested.

I think its good to have a mixture or repeat guests and new guests.Like others have said SM's wouldnt have a guest attending repeatadly if they didnt think that there was a demand and no one wanted to see them.Its a good oppertunity for people who missed them the first time around or like some have said had a not so pleasant experience to see them again.I dont see any harm and I think there is always a good balence of repeat and new guests :)

I have friends who couldn't make LF&CC2 so it would be

great if some of the guests could be invited back.

I would like Michael Ironside to return , his agent said he

had a great time meeting the fans and it's up to " the

powers that be " to ask him , Mickey Jones has said that

he would love to join him .

I've only recently discovered these shows and made it to the last Collectormania but didn't get anything signed as I got there too late and there were too many people already waiting for autographs. I'd love some of them to go again so I could actually meet them. I also made it to LFCC and only got 1 autograph, Craig Parker, who I gather has been to lots of these shows, but if he hadnt gone to that one I'd never have met him so I'm grateful he did. He told me, by the way, that he wont be doing any more as he has a film project coming up now.

J

I trust ShowMasters to book great guests. The bigger, better guests they get the more popular their events will be. And the happier we will all be.

It's a win-win situation. Great guests = more fans attending = more cash for everyone involved. Great Guests = Fans are happy = spend more cash, plan on attending more SM events in the future.

I give my vote and trust to the Showmasters Crew.

-Rachel

I also only recently discovered these events too...only to find that other Star Trek guests that I would like to meet have been to the last one or two events...so yes I would like to see repeat guests. I think if they are popular and people are requesting them again then get them back.

I personally think that repeat guests are a bad idea.

Theres that kid from Star wars episode one (you know the one with that irritating lizard) who rears his slightly older head every now and then, and after he has signed a couple of autographs in an open queue he sits there looking a bit miffed.

Then you've got those Harry Potter lot, I've seen the Potter films but yet when I look at some of them I have not got a clue who they are, only to find out they had a total on screen time of maybe three minutes?

I looked at the latest guests for Collectormania and I groaned "not them again".

So to summarise.....NO, repeat guests can be bad for your autograph getting for the weekend.