Repeat guests - good or bad idea ?

dufresne

Should SMs avoid repeating guests or not ?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should SMs avoid repeating guests or not ?

• Never bring a guest back ... EVER !
    • Bring them back after a few shows
    • Bring them back after a few years
    • Bring them back if they or their area is topical
    • Bring back MY favourite guest at all costs cos I love them
    • SMs are great - let them decide !

It always happens after either show - an influx of requests for (whoever) to come back. The waste of time threads for Mr E. Wood to come back are still piling up 18 months later. With all due respect to the fans involved, this is nearly all because "Craig Parker is gorgeous", or "Rachael Lutterell was really nice to me", but surely ShowMasters should keep striving to cover new ground, and have new guests?

And I know there is "room at shows for both", but for every Prowse that SMs have to pay, there is a Henriksen just waiting to be asked ......

Use your vote wisely !

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, they can bring them after a few shows. You can see some guests also in other places, so if you really like the guest, you don't care about going somewhere else. And on the SM's point of view, I think it is more exciting and interesting to bring a lot of new guests at every show. But after a few shows, they might invite again some of the most popular guests.

Edited by lams9999

Not to totally sit on the fence but it does depend on the guest. I never got to meet Temura Morrison when he came over for C4 (I think it was this one) cos i didn't know things like Collectormania existed!

From that point of view I'm pleased he's coming back to do another show, I kind of got the idea he was a reasonably pleasent type.

That said there are certain guests lets say Peter Mayhew for example, who have done several shows and each time have shown themselves to be miserable charmless in it for the money types. That sort we can do without seeing more than once

I dont think its fare to say dont bring back guests who have attended in the past,

its easy to forget that lots of people didnt get to meet them and want the chance.

This does ofcourse apply to Elijah, Dom and Sean - all of whom I think there is a good chance of them attending another SM event....

People should be allowed to request who ever they want, SM have the final call and they will im sure attempt to please everyone.....

It depends on the guests personally there are some that I would love to see back like Royd Tolkien, Anthony S Head plus others but on the other hand people like Daniel Logan I am not that fussed about seeing again.

I agree with that, the lead guests would be great to have back, but there are some smaller peeps who Im not to worried about - eg Sala Baker, great guy but I think hes been at every SM event pretty much!!!

Hobbits would be welcomed guests for C7, as lots of peeps didnt get to meet them as would Anthony Head - great guy.

• Moderators

Hmm tis tricky ... most repeat guests I don't wanna see cuz I hardly EVER get 2 autos .. only person I've done that with is Eliza I think.

But I realise some people miss out the first time or however many times they've been ...

And in all fairness, say if people are complaining about Craig Parker coming e.g. oh why is he coming, can't you get *insert bigger name* instead??!! --- it's NOT gonna stop Showmasters from getting someone else! If Ian Mckellen or Viggo or whoever suddenly became available, they're not gonna say "no thanks, we've got CRAIG PARKER attending so we can't make room for u!" ... so, while a lot of ppl don't wanna see repeat guests, it doesn't MAJORLY affect anyone if u think about it.

It all depends who's available really at the time :o

• Moderators

Yeah but that shouldn't bother anyone, they don't have to talk to him if they don't wanna ... the Harry Potter peeps that signed at C6 turned up at C5 and walked around etc .. Devon usually turns up .. Shane Richie turns up at LFACC .. they're entitled to turn up if they wanna, they're friends with SMs and so ya know, it doesn't REALLY affect anyone.

yes but Daniel Logan turns up wether he's a guest or not!!!!  :D

People are still paying to see him when he is a guest so there is demand for him somewhere...he's young, he's enjoying the limelight so if he wants to come back then fair play to him I say. I met him at the party and didn't bother going to him at the show but hey,he is friends with some people on the forum who go to the shows often...I guess that's one reason for him to show up.

At least he aint there to pull like Devon Murray and them butt-ugly Weasley Twins...is Chesney Hawkes thier long lost older brother?!

Edited by nicky

There are a number of good reasons for bringing a guest back:

1. They were so busy the first time, that a lot of people didn't get to meet them.

2. There are always new people to collecting, so a percentage of attendees at each event will never have met Peter Mayhew before, let alone been to an event of this sort

3. Since their last appearance a guest may have been in another film , for example like Billy Boyd provided the voice of Glen in Seed of Chucky.

One of the strengths of Showmasters is they do have a good mix of guests, as demonstrated at the last few shows.

Sure, things were a bit LOTR heavy at one point, but now the focus has been more on Star Wars with the release of the Revenge of the Sith and the release of the Original Trilogy on DVD.

In Elijah Wood's case, he has also been in plenty of other movies, as per Sean Astin, so they have a wider fan base that just Lord of the Rings.

I think it's good to bring back guests... I've only recently been able to start attending cons (travel/time/money thing), and there are loads of guests who've been to previous SM events who I haven't met, but would love to. It's not really fair to say "Don't bring that person back, I've met them already, you should only get people I've not met before!" etc etc because there are a lot of people out there who, for one reason or another even if they have attended cons where that person is present, couldn't get to meet them.

As for the hobbits, I'd love to meet them but get very panicky in big crowds so ^_^

• Showmasters Admin

As has already been said it's not like SM are going to turn down a bigger name because a smaller star has said yes. They would just find a side away place for the smaller guest to sit. I remember at (I think it was) C4 I was surprised when I saw Kenny Baker at a desk at the end of one of the stall rows. This must have been one of these cases were SM got a bigger name so found somewhere for the smaller star (that is not a pun) to sit.

There are 2 types of repeat guests:

1: The big stars, who normally don't do events.

2: The smaller stars that go to most of these events.

I'm guessing you're mainly talking about the second group, as the first group will have LOTS of ppl that want to meet them (maybe again) so it makes sense for SM to invite them again.

With the second group, they may only have a small fan base but they must make money or SM wouldn't ask them to attend.

So in both cases I say why not have them back (at the show after the next one) so ppl that missed them (want to meet them again) get to meet them.

Yeah, I second that. I'd like to see guests come back so you can get autographs when you missed them the first time around.

I missed Richard Hatch even though he had no queue to see him! ^_^

I think guests that come back many times are fine too because people get to know them a bit better and for me, that better than just a quick 20 seconds getting an autograph.

Also, despite the posters, people don't realise who is who. I'd like to see Sala back because I didn't know who he was when I came to CM6 and that goes for many other people there.

Edited by ACW

Here's another thought as well, if all the guests were new, you would need even more cash .

I think sometimes people forget that there was a time before they started collecting, and that all the shows from here on in should only have guests they haven't seen before. Cast your minds back, we all started collecting at some point, so just because you may have met Warwick Davis, Craig Parker, Sala Baker or Dave Prowse before doesn't mean everyone has.

As someone else said on the thread as well , second or third time round you might not be as nervous and actually have a proper chat with the guests, rather than just gasp in awe !

Yep bring them back after a coupla shows, so it must be time to bring back Rutger Hauer for C7.

As for some guests, they have been to more SM shows than i have, surely the demand for them is pretty much zero.

Whereas the demand for Bruce Campbell and Bill Paxton would be huge *cough* hint *cough*

I'd say after a few shows. But really, I don't see the harm in bringing back a guest. Not everybody can make it to every event, for whatever reason (dates/finances/transport...) and it seems unfair to make it a "now or never" type deal. On the other hand, I can understand it would get frustrating if the same old guests show up time and time again.

Leave it up to fate I'd say. Or possibly SM. :P

it seems unfair to make it a "now or never" type deal.

But it's not as if SM owe us any favours. I always treat guests as now or never - I don't think it's unfair at all, they can't arrange the guests around our personal schedules can they?!

it seems unfair to make it a "now or never" type deal.

But it's not as if SM owe us any favours. I always treat guests as now or never - I don't think it's unfair at all, they can't arrange the guests around our personal schedules can they?!

I'm not saying they can, but I don't think that was the original point of this thread. The implication seemed to be that once a guest had attended an SM con, they should never be brought back, regardless of their schedule. This, I feel, wouldn't make any sense, so I was stating my opinion. If a guest is available to return and people will pay to meet them, I don't see the problem.