Guest announcement - TORI HIGGINSON

showmasters

Vamps, Torri is appearing at another event which has previously been freindly to showmasters. Showmasters have booked her without consulting them, which could effect their tickets sales, and is not a nice way to treat folks who've been good to you.

They have also made approaches to other guests appearing at another convention the same weekend as LFFC. If any of these guests accept it will not be another chance to see them, it will mean hundreds of fans being disapointed.

Full contract details are not known to those of us who are not con organisers..., but there seems to be at least something in writing in every case. However, any contract may be breakable: yes, the person breaking it could be sued in theory, but can everyone afford to do that?

You also have to ask who's benifitting. Not the fans. And I'm not convinced it's good business sense for Showmasters either. They'd get more Stargate fans attending on another weekend. But if they want to try and knock other con organisers out of business... Do you want that?

Actually the only person who clearly has something to gain is the booking agent. She gets a percentage if Showmasters get a guest, but the rival on the same weekend don't use her. So it makes sense for her to try and get guests to change from the rival to Showmasters.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shusssh, please change the subject.

I dont want the Stargate guests being jinxed. If you keep talking like this the Atlantis guests might change their mind due to filming like Amanda who had to cancel to film season 8.

I am going to LLFC2 for

1) Atlantis guests

2) Aliens reunion

:huh:

Edited by BluebizzieB

Vamps, Torri is appearing at another event which has previously been freindly to showmasters. Showmasters have booked her without consulting them, which could effect their tickets sales, and is not a nice way to treat folks who've been good to you.

They have also made approaches to other guests appearing at another convention the same weekend as LFFC. If any of these guests accept it will not be another chance to see them, it will mean hundreds of fans being disapointed.

Full contract details are not known to those of us who are not con organisers..., but there seems to be at least something in writing in every case. However, any contract may be breakable: yes, the person breaking it could be sued in theory, but can everyone afford to do that?

You also have to ask who's benifitting. Not the fans. And I'm not convinced it's good business sense for Showmasters either. They'd get more Stargate fans attending on another weekend. But if they want to try and knock other con organisers out of business... Do you want that?

Actually the only person who clearly has something to gain is the booking agent. She gets a percentage if Showmasters get a guest, but the rival on the same weekend don't use her. So it makes sense for her to try and get guests to change from the rival to Showmasters.

Hmmmmmmmmmm ok I can see why some people would be angry, honest I can, but since when did Showmasters have to ask permission to have a guest, this event does not own this person and lets not forget we are talking about people right??? LOL

Ok the whole thing to me just sounds like two business in competition which in my opinion is healthy, its like you can't have a relation ship without it occasionally going bad.

Don't get me wrong I'm I'm not sticking up for SM's hell they are more than capable of doing that for themselves. I can see this other event that shall remain nameless is probably a bit peeved at one of their guests being snatched, but its just the way it goes, both companies are out to make money, its sad I can see its upseting some people, but its not your problem so why stress over it so much. Thats all I'm getting at.

Plus I have been drinking and confusions is over taking me again which does happen a lot and before i forget, welsome to the forum Rowen, I like that name actually.

Hope you will carry on posting here and under happier times. I'm sorry your fed up, but hey tomorrow is another day!!!!!!!

God what am i on about, someone pass me my bottle of bud LOL

Vamps, Torri is appearing at another event which has previously been freindly to showmasters.  Showmasters have booked her without consulting them, which could effect their tickets sales, and is not a nice way to treat folks who've been good to you.

They have also made approaches to other guests appearing at another convention the same weekend as LFFC.  If any of these guests accept it will not be another chance to see them, it will mean hundreds of fans being disapointed.

Full contract details are not known to those of us who are not con organisers..., but there seems to be at least something in writing in every case.  However, any contract may be breakable: yes, the person breaking it could be sued in theory, but can everyone afford to do that?

You also have to ask who's benifitting.  Not the fans.  And I'm not convinced it's good business sense for Showmasters either.  They'd get more Stargate fans attending on another weekend.  But if they want to try and knock other con organisers out of business... Do you want that?

Actually the only person who clearly has something to gain is the booking agent. She gets a percentage if Showmasters get a guest, but the rival on the same weekend don't use her.  So it makes sense for her to try and get guests to change from the rival to Showmasters.

Hmmmmmmmmmm ok I can see why some people would be angry, honest I can, but since when did Showmasters have to ask permission to have a guest, this event does not own this person and lets not forget we are talking about people right??? LOL

Ok the whole thing to me just sounds like two business in competition which in my opinion is healthy, its like you can't have a relation ship without it occasionally going bad.

Don't get me wrong I'm I'm not sticking up for SM's hell they are more than capable of doing that for themselves. I can see this other event that shall remain nameless is probably a bit peeved at one of their guests being snatched, but its just the way it goes, both companies are out to make money, its sad I can see its upseting some people, but its not your problem so why stress over it so much. Thats all I'm getting at.

Plus I have been drinking and confusions is over taking me again which does happen a lot and before i forget, welsome to the forum Rowen, I like that name actually.

Hope you will carry on posting here and under happier times. I'm sorry your fed up, but hey tomorrow is another day!!!!!!!

I am normally a fan of your down to earthness Vamps , but it seems to me that you are just arguing about something that you aren't really sure about because you are in the mood to .

What Rowan and woodyelf are saying is that SM have tried to steal a guest from one particular Con ( not Tori really but that is bad enough if there has been no contact ) , the guest being Chris Judge , who committed to the Con as long back as February .

I was at a show in Glasgow in January where Chris told off the organiser of this Con for not inviting him - so the organiser then invited him straight away . This Con is the same weekend as LFACC2 , so it is not like the people can meet him twice as he can only be in one place at once and so can the fans ( most of whom have booked for the SG Con long since ) .

You say this is good business for both events , but it is the case of one event trying to get over all the other shows ( and this includes , in the case of Tori , a Con that has previously always had a good relationship with SM ) - whoever pays the most wins , as long as these actors are willing to sell their souls to the Devil .

If Chris Judge pulls out of the other event , it will almost definitely mean that he will not be able to attend another 3 events that he has already confirmed to attend , organised by the same company . How is this good business ? This will pretty much mean that Chris will only be able to attend events organised by SM , and they will not invite him every time - so , as usual , the fans will miss out .

I have met Chris and have to say that I found him brilliant and friendly , and thought he had a lot of feelings for his fans and the fans of the show - but his decision here is now under the microscope for a LOT of people . :D

SM have already posted that they hope to have all of SG1 at C7 , so why are they now going back on this and bringing these guests earlier ?

Another point is that one person ( a particular guest at C6 ) gets paid a percentage for the guests that SHE helps to bring to a show , whereas she gets nothing if they go to the other show . She has no working relationship ( ie she is not an agent or anything ) with these guests , but has a really good reason to get them to come to this event - she gets paid a lot of money .

This is not a business thing , this is a monopoly thing for SM , and it stinks to high heaven . For these events it is great to get these guests , but when no other event will touch them , but SM have discarded them , you might see the problem if it is somebody you want to meet .

As it is it is ONLY Stargate , so that doesn't effect you , but it effects plenty of others .

I hear all these posts attacking the selfish people who are only interested in who they want to meet , but this should be a problem to everybody - at the minute , Stargate , but maybe next Aliens , LOTR , HP , SW , horror , WWF or whatever .

I would just like to reiterate that Showmasters have done nothing wrong. We don't know the situation with Torri's contract she may be and probably is free to do other events if she so chooses to. And why on Earth would Showmasters have any sort of obligation to let the event she is already attending know they have booked her. Surely it is not their concren UNLESS contract has been broken,and again we don't know if it has.

As to the Christopher Judge case well we don't even know if Showmasters are trying to book him. Now if they are/have (and I am going to the other convention) then there is quite frakly no one to blame but the other convention organiser for not getting a contract with him. That is unforgivable and I don't understand why you Rowan are so prepared to over look that. As a con attendee who had payed their money I am concerned.

And yes I know Chris told fans he was coming back in February but actors say things all the time. He has probably totally forgotten about it by now. It's hardly a binding contract or any reason to get at Chris or at Showmasters.

If you want to be annoyed fine - I just think you should assign blame more fairly and look over your obvious bias/loyalty to the other con organiser.

• Showmasters Admin

Rowan and Woodyelf in particular,

You seem to be incredibly hostile towards us. I am amazed that you cannot even seem to open your minds to the fact that you do not know the whole situation and that maybe we have done nothing wrong. You seem to believe everything that you are being fed by certain other people.

Why don't you wait until you have the full story before becoming so hostile?

We will be making a proper comment on all this soon, but only when it is professional for us to do so! When that happens, I think you may feel that an apology is in order, and also a re-evaluating of your position.

Mark

Rowan and Woodyelf in particular,

You seem to be incredibly hostile towards us. I am amazed that you cannot even seem to open your minds to the fact that you do not know the whole situation and that maybe we have done nothing wrong. You seem to believe everything that you are being fed by certain other people.

Why don't you wait until you have the full story before becoming so hostile?

We will be making a proper comment on all this soon, but only when it is professional for us to do so! When that happens, I think you may feel that an apology is in order, and also a re-evaluating of your position.

Mark

I think that both the members you are attacking here have raised good points. If SM have done nothing wrong then why is it that not just Chris Judge, but 2 other guests going to the other con have been approached by a 3rd party to renege on their appearances, and attend your event. Whilst you may not be doing the 'poaching', for want of a better term yourselves, you are either employing or using a 3rd party who is trying to obtain guests on your behalf. IMHO this makes neither good business or moral sense, as can be seen by the reactions it has caused. Many attendees of the other con, and yes I am one, are now stating that they will never again attend another SM event because of this. They always say what goes around, comes around, and if that is the case, how will SM feel should this kind of 'cut-throat' business practice be used on yourselves in the future. Pretty p*ssed would be my guess.

Having watched the arguments develop over this particular incident I had promised myself not to get involved ..but ...having read what imho is a rather condescending post directed at 2 people in particular .......requiring apologies to yourselves at a later date!!!!!.......I would be grateful if you would please read the following..........

You cannot deny that approaches have been made to other guests who have already agreed in theory and have been advertised to appear at another Con, the dates of which you were fully aware

Irrespective of any formal contacts that may or may not have been made....... may I ask .........do you consider this professional or ethically correct conduct on your part?

It is the fans that keep ALL Con organisers in business and they are entitled to voice their opinion

having a "go" at two in particular who may have hit a raw nerve does little for your credibility as a professional organisation

Vamps, Torri is appearing at another event which has previously been freindly to showmasters.  Showmasters have booked her without consulting them, which could effect their tickets sales, and is not a nice way to treat folks who've been good to you.

They have also made approaches to other guests appearing at another convention the same weekend as LFFC.  If any of these guests accept it will not be another chance to see them, it will mean hundreds of fans being disapointed.

Full contract details are not known to those of us who are not con organisers..., but there seems to be at least something in writing in every case.  However, any contract may be breakable: yes, the person breaking it could be sued in theory, but can everyone afford to do that?

You also have to ask who's benifitting.  Not the fans.  And I'm not convinced it's good business sense for Showmasters either.  They'd get more Stargate fans attending on another weekend.  But if they want to try and knock other con organisers out of business... Do you want that?

Actually the only person who clearly has something to gain is the booking agent. She gets a percentage if Showmasters get a guest, but the rival on the same weekend don't use her.  So it makes sense for her to try and get guests to change from the rival to Showmasters.

I am normally a fan of your down to earthness Vamps , but it seems to me that you are just arguing about something that you aren't really sure about because you are in the mood to .

What Rowan and woodyelf are saying is that SM have tried to steal a guest from one particular Con ( not Tori really but that is bad enough if there has been no contact ) , the guest being Chris Judge , who committed to the Con as long back as February .

I was at a show in Glasgow in January where Chris told off the organiser of this Con for not inviting him - so the organiser then invited him straight away . This Con is the same weekend as LFACC2 , so it is not like the people can meet him twice as he can only be in one place at once and so can the fans ( most of whom have booked for the SG Con long since ) .

You say this is good business for both events , but it is the case of one event trying to get over all the other shows ( and this includes , in the case of Tori , a Con that has previously always had a good relationship with SM ) - whoever pays the most wins , as long as these actors are willing to sell their souls to the Devil .

If Chris Judge pulls out of the other event , it will almost definitely mean that he will not be able to attend another 3 events that he has already confirmed to attend , organised by the same company . How is this good business ? This will pretty much mean that Chris will only be able to attend events organised by SM , and they will not invite him every time - so , as usual , the fans will miss out .

I have met Chris and have to say that I found him brilliant and friendly , and thought he had a lot of feelings for his fans and the fans of the show - but his decision here is now under the microscope for a LOT of people . :lol:

SM have already posted that they hope to have all of SG1 at C7 , so why are they now going back on this and bringing these guests earlier ?

Another point is that one person ( a particular guest at C6 ) gets paid a percentage for the guests that SHE helps to bring to a show , whereas she gets nothing if they go to the other show . She has no working relationship ( ie she is not an agent or anything ) with these guests , but has a really good reason to get them to come to this event - she gets paid a lot of money .

This is not a business thing , this is a monopoly thing for SM , and it stinks to high heaven . For these events it is great to get these guests , but when no other event will touch them , but SM have discarded them , you might see the problem if it is somebody you want to meet .

As it is it is ONLY Stargate , so that doesn't effect you , but it effects plenty of others .

I hear all these posts attacking the selfish people who are only interested in who they want to meet , but this should be a problem to everybody - at the minute , Stargate , but maybe next Aliens , LOTR , HP , SW , horror , WWF or whatever .

Awwww your fan of my down to earthness????? try the pits of hell LOL.

Look I was not arguing about anything last night, I was just trying to get across that i don't see what all the fuss is about, I still don't. I can imagine some peeps might be a little peeved off with whatevers gone on.

Anyways, I will wait and see what SM's have to say, seems like the best option to me.

And again, I'nm sorry if it sounded like i was arguing, it wasn't my intention, honest!!!!, but I can argue if ya like though????

If SM have done nothing wrong then why is it that not just Chris Judge, but 2 other guests going to the other con have been approached by a 3rd party to renege on their appearances, and attend your event.

Okay... since when it is two other guests?

I went over to that other forum and all I saw was a post about Chris Judge being approached and more more guest.

I don't want to attack anyone in particular, but some people here seem to think all Stargate fans will attend that other event. No, they are not! There are plenty of Stargate fans around here as well. Obviously there's a demand for Stargate guests. So why shouldn't Showmasters get them?

I won't comment further on that poaching whatever issue. It's useless to discuss, argue or how you want to call it as we don't have the full picture.

There's just one more thing I'd like to say: An event working with the other show does have a high level Aliens guest as well.

I saw nobody from Showmasters or the fans here causing that much commotion on that event's message board. Not even when that person was officially announced! And Showmasters has been advertising that Reunion thing at least since April.

Maybe you should think about that?

Like Vamps already said, I really agree with her that we should wait for the post Showmasters promised. There are two sides of a coin.

Firstly apologies - yes it is just one further guest which has been approached, it was misread. However, my point here is that once this 'poaching' starts then we as fans will be the ones who suffer. Everything will be down to the highest bidder, and guess who will have to foot the bill. Not the guests, not these so-called agents, and certainly not the con organisers, it will be you and I. I'm not neccesarily blaming SM here, they may not have instigated this, but if the situation develops how they wish then they will certainly become the beneficiaries. The lady in question how has made these approaches is not doing this for the good of you and I, she is seeking to make money, and it will come from our pockets. I have no problem with people earning an honest living, but IMHO this has been underhanded and devious. Knowing that the 2 guests in question had aleady committed to the other con, and then trying to induce them away with a bigger fee, to me that is devious. Reminds me of gazumping in house pruchases in the 70s and 80s, and we all know how everyone felt about that.

I really have nothing to say on this matter except, why all of a sudden have 3 people who seem to have joined this forum today..all attacking SM and this ONE issue and ONLY since the guest announcements last night ????? :P

yes i agree with Buff that something fishy is going on here :P

Edited by ashleo78

I really have nothing to say on this matter except, why all of a sudden have 3 people who seem to have joined this forum today..all attacking SM and this ONE issue and ONLY since the guest announcements last night ????? :P

yes i agree with Buff that something fishy is going on here :D

Perhaps the reason we have all joined is that we are incensed as to what has being going on, and have come here, to the board of the organisation who in our opinion have caused the problem to have our say.

I really have nothing to say on this matter except, why all of a sudden have 3 people who seem to have joined this forum today..all attacking SM and this ONE issue and ONLY since the guest announcements last night  ?????  :D

yes i agree with Buff that something fishy is going on here  :D

Perhaps the reason we have all joined is that we are incensed as to what has being going on, and have come here, to the board of the organisation who in our opinion have caused the problem to have our say.

and perhaps the reason u came on here was because of either :-

A) YOU ARE part of the organizers of the other con

:P you are members of another forum linked with other con.

Well I'm certainly not an organiser, I'm not that rich LOL. I am as I said going to that other con, and one of the reasons for doing so was because Chris Judge was attending. Indeed I was at the previous Stargate event when his video diary message was played. He was at that point making a firm committment to come, contract or otherwise, like I say I'm not the organiser so I'm not privy to that information. But this committment was firm until said 3rd party acting on behalf of SM got involved. So to say we that are attending are angry at these underhanded tactics is an understatement.

Edited by Lynskyn1

Well I'm certainly not an organiser, I'm not that rich LOL. I am as I said going to that other con, and one of the reasons for doing so was because Chris Judge was attending. Indeed I was at the previous Stargate event when his video diary message was played. He was at that point making a firm committment to come, contract or otherwise, like I say I'm not the organiser so I'm not privy to that information. But this committment was firm until said 3rd party acting on behalf of SM got involved. So to say we that are attending are angry at these underhanded tactics is an understatement.

Do or did you ever have any intention of coming to Collectormania..???

If not then i class what you are doing now as dirty and underhanded yourselves.

Slagging off an organiser....I'm sure you would be happy if we went onto YOUR forum and began a hate campaign...please consider this..and as to why you feel you may be receiveing such hostility from our members.

I appreciate your views as do others....this was not the way to go about it at end of the day, why not call showmasters and have a chat about it.

Edited by ashleo78

As a fan I wouldn't like to 100% guarantee any guest appearing until on the day. People do become ill as well and have other reasons for not turning up.

I must say that it is weird 'several people' joining and moaning about the same thing on the same day :D

I dont think Torri has much to do with this poaching business any more, she is not giving up the another event to attend LFCC2 so I dont see a problem there, people who were going to the other event she is attending can still meet her along with other great Stargate guests including Amanda who I would love to meet.

The problem I am beginning to understand is that certain Stargate guests already announced for another event being held the same weekend have been approached by someone seeing if they would be willing to attend LFCC2 instead of the event they are already signed up too.

Now I can understand how this can cause alot of bad feelings, if I had paid alot of money to meet certain guests and then found out they would not be attending I would be upset too but at the moment that hasent happened, to my knowledge no guest at the other event has cancelled to attend LFCC2 and at the moment it is all talk about guests being approached but as of this moment nothing has changed, the same guests will still be attending the other event and fans who paid to go to that event will still be meeting the same guests they always were going to meet.

Now if this changes in the next few weeks then that is different but at the moment there really is no need to continue this line of talk, why not talk about something that actually relates to Torri considering this is here thread, like do you think she will take over the previous actress character well? From the episodes of Atlantis I have seen I couldnt imagine anyone else playing the part and my sister who is a stargate fan loves Atlantis and is really looking forward to meeting her and the others.

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

Slagging off an organiser....I'm sure you would be happy if we went onto YOUR forum and began a hate campaign...please consider this..and as to why you feel you may be receiveing such hostility from our members.

But that's the point isn't it, the organiser of the other con has done nothing wrong. He has had the rug pulled from underneath him by having not just one, but two of his guests approached to renege on their agreements and join LFCC. If you can't see that this is wrong, then IMHO the whole world is losing it's morals.

Are they freely giving away this information on the other events forum as I know SM wont even comment on a guest until they are signed up and never post details about their contracts and it sounds like the organiser of the other event is posting everything that happens regarding the guests in their forum which seems like a rather strange thing to do.

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Showmasters Admin

You cannot deny that approaches have been made to other guests who have already agreed in theory and have been advertised to appear at another Con, the dates of which you were fully aware

Irrespective of any formal contacts that may or may not have been made.......  may I ask .........do you consider this  professional or ethically correct conduct on your part?

When we make our statement you will understand our answer on this. I undertsand that it is frustrating waiting, but we ARE professional organisers, and so will not comment until it is professional for us to do so. We are not interested in stirring up the fans, just running the best event possible.Hopefully you will come to see our intentions in time.

I hope when we make our statement that you, and many others, may feel slightly different about things.

Mark