Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

20 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

As nasty as it sounds if a guest is popular that does need to be taken into account in terms of the diamond pass a guest should be made aware and try and find the balance but know that people have paid a considerable amount to meet them, thus should be given some time to see them.

It's not nasty at all. Diamond passes should be extremely limited numbers wise. Which I though was the point of them.  They should be capped at around 150-200 passes. Which would bring back the exclusivity of the passes.

24 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I remember there being horror stories of a Sons of Anarchy guest who was extremely unpleasant and was ignoring fans before raising prices on guests like what the hell 

If we're are thinking of the same guest, didnt he up sticks after appearing on a Saturday, to appear elsewhere on the Sunday

28 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

As nasty as it sounds if a guest is popular that does need to be taken into account in terms of the diamond pass a guest should be made aware and try and find the balance but know that people have paid a considerable amount to meet them, thus should be given some time to see them.

I will add, if they are popular and chatty. Fair play to them.

But the person manning the queue, or looking after the guest, should be looking to keep things flowing

37 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

If we're are thinking of the same guest, didnt he up sticks after appearing on a Saturday, to appear elsewhere on the Sunday

That’s the one, I can’t remember his (agents) side of the story, but from what I saw on Facebook and from showmasters themselves, he was extremely rude and had broken the contract to attend elsewhere, I don’t know what he had if anyone can jog the memory that would help.

45 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

It's not nasty at all. Diamond passes should be extremely limited numbers wise. Which I though was the point of them.  They should be capped at around 150-200 passes. Which would bring back the exclusivity of the passes.

The way I see it is the Diamond Passes are meant to be a guarantee on guests who are by all accounts going to be extremely popular and give some people a more fair shot of meeting them, which is why when they keep adding more it’s gonna cause chaos, especially with the aforementioned Joesph Quinn, in my opinion both staff and fans are at fault in different regards, staff for poor regulation and control, and the fans (certain ones) for not vacating the area when told and causing a mob, and again I’ve only see this with Quinn, but it wasn’t great either time truth be told

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

That’s the one, I can’t remember his (agents) side of the story, but from what I saw on Facebook and from showmasters themselves, he was extremely rude and had broken the contract to attend elsewhere, I don’t know what he had if anyone can jog the memory that would help.

If it is the same guest we are talking about, I was at the other show, and I never saw a big queue for him

19 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

The way I see it is the Diamond Passes are meant to be a guarantee on guests who are by all accounts going to be extremely popular and give some people a more fair shot of meeting them, which is why when they keep adding more it’s gonna cause chaos, especially with the aforementioned Joesph Quinn, in my opinion both staff and fans are at fault in different regards, staff for poor regulation and control, and the fans (certain ones) for not vacating the area when told and causing a mob, and again I’ve only see this with Quinn, but it wasn’t great either time truth be told

Exactly this, a combination of over selling and poor queue management for Joseph, was it a case of underestimating his popularity. But even then they should have had people step in and manage the queues 

So if anyone was gonna be random and like me get Mark Buckingham on Series 7, we’ve just had an announcement that due to a family emergency he has pulled out very much last minute, whilst of course he is not the biggest guest, I hope he and his family are okay.

Day 1 done and damn was it good now my list of overall signatures is looking better than ever, still two days to get signatures of course but I’m excited for what Saturday and Sunday bring.

hoping so far for no drop outs, I know in the 11th hour Olivia Cooke has dropped out and now the Matt Smith duo she was meant to do is now more than likely in chaos.

unfortunately not only is money right now given I have been paid £100 less than I expected (bloody tax man), so now I’ve had to drop around 2 to 4 signatures, depending on the pricing of Paul Cornell, Andrew Cartmell was only half of what I expected and I got a signed book as well, he was impressed by my copy of “Delta and the Bannerman” (which I had signed by McCoy first) which helped save me £25 especially as I caved and bought something non Doctor who related.

but it’s cool to get some more stuff signed and once again Jeff Cummins recognised me, greated me as an old friend and have coined “the Jeff Cummins Legacy” for his inclusion of the wrong Cyberman on the novel of “The Tomb of the Cybermen” and the same mistake on the VHS cover of “Revenge of the Cybermen” as I talked him through the repeated mistake.

if Cornell isn’t signing for free the two I’ve decided to keep are “Delta and the Bannerman” and “Scourge of the Shadow” because I am desperate to get those two signed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mfahey79 said:

My 1st day was surprisingly relaxed, managed to get everything I needed quite quickly. Although I was surprised that they separated the ewoks actors into two sections, rather than keep them all in one place.

I would have thought they of all people would be easy to keep together

18 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I would have thought they of all people would be easy to keep together

There was a long empty table in the signing area that would have accommodated everyone who was downstairs. Which would have made sense to keep them all together, chances are your not going for just one of them, you would be getting them all like I was. 

I couldn't justify getting Michael Carter in the end. I was umming and ahhing even up to the point I was in the queue. And i just thought if I'm this undecided. Then dont get him. Had he been a £10 or £15 guest it would have been different 

Edited by Mfahey79

I managed to get Paul easily yesterday which was good, doesn't he have the tiniest signature though!  He had no queue when I got to his table so it was a quick visit.  This may be common knowledge, but I'll add it in case it isn't, but Paul said the cover of Goth Opera was originally much bloodier but WH Smiths complained so they had to tone it down!May be an illustration of 3 people, book of matches and text

May be an image of text that says "NO FUTURE B"

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "DOCTOR WHO MISSING ADVENTURES ATD JCB GOTH OPERA PAULCORNEL CORNELL"

May be an image of text

• Like 2

So just quickly posting as news has come about Mike Stevens was a sea Devil something he was greatly annoyed that isn’t listed anywhere.

im gonna look into getting that corrected where I can, IE Doctor who Wiki and IMDB because by god he is lovely meet him even to talk about it, he is super reminiscent about it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

So just quickly posting as news has come about Mike Stevens was a sea Devil something he was greatly annoyed that isn’t listed anywhere.

im gonna look into getting that corrected where I can, IE Doctor who Wiki and IMDB because by god he is lovely meet him even to talk about it, he is super reminiscent about it

I only had a brief chat with him but was a lovely bloke.

Although I wasnt quick enough to stop him signing his Star Wars characters in my 500 year diary. Ah well

Adrian Rawlins was super busy, his queue was as long as some of the headliners. But he was taking time with everyone, selfies as well. I'm not a selfie person but it's nice it was offered

On 7/7/2023 at 11:11 PM, Mfahey79 said:

There was a long empty table in the signing area that would have accommodated everyone who was downstairs. Which would have made sense to keep them all together, chances are your not going for just one of them, you would be getting them all like I was. 

It was one of many bizarre choices 

12 hours ago, Raylenth said:

I managed to get Paul easily yesterday which was good, doesn't he have the tiniest signature though!  He had no queue when I got to his table so it was a quick visit.  This may be common knowledge, but I'll add it in case it isn't, but Paul said the cover of Goth Opera was originally much bloodier but WH Smiths complained so they had to tone it down!May be an illustration of 3 people, book of matches and text

May be an image of text that says "NO FUTURE B"

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "DOCTOR WHO MISSING ADVENTURES ATD JCB GOTH OPERA PAULCORNEL CORNELL"

May be an image of text

From my gathering of Paul he knows he’s important to Doctor who as I informed him he allowed Big Finish to happen, but the man doesn’t seem to think of himself so importantly as he is, I got him on a good handful of items, and he just signed so small despite him having written one of the DVDs and his would be by reason a large signature.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

I only had a brief chat with him but was a lovely bloke.

Although I wasnt quick enough to stop him signing his Star Wars characters in my 500 year diary. Ah well

Adrian Rawlins was super busy, his queue was as long as some of the headliners. But he was taking time with everyone, selfies as well. I'm not a selfie person but it's nice it was offered

I’m working on getting his IMDB amended to have him listed on the Sea Devils, according to Stevens he was the one in the mind field, along with him and every other sea devil nearly being drowned on location.

he was overall lovely and I expected it to go differently but he spoke so vividly and when I laid out my covers he was searching for the Sea Devils and I just had to get that one signed as well.

6 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

zGRB314.jpeg

DkjUm1N.jpeg

Mike Stevens & Adrian Rawlins

I was overall staggered and shocked by how many people were queuing for him, almost felt bad for Brian Bovell, no one could really get to him as a result of it all, and whilst I got him oh my copy of Series 4, I just talked to him about Chernobyl because I loved him in that, (also spoke to Robert Emms the previous day about it, and he looked at me like I was crazy as I’ve watched it 26 times) and he kept going on and on about it, but I couldn’t hold up that really long line any further than it had already been.

Really from this con I’ve not been disappointed, I got all bar 2 things I wanted signed and other things as well.

the first thing I didn’t get signed was Sylvester McCoy on the Dalek collection as I decided to save that money as things are financially tight for a while, and then Claudia Christianson, mainly because I assumed as a comic guest £10 was the price but then after 20 minutes of queuing I see a very small sign £40 and I walked, I couldn’t afford it within my budget and I honestly feel the lack of a clear sign nor a upfront notion of cost was a dishonest tactic.

I’d say that’s one of my biggest and main complaints so far, but I don’t know who that is aimed against.