an app for show masters events.

With great guests and all being announced, is there an app that can let you know when a new guest has been announced or mark off photo shoots which will let you know / remind you of you time slot etc. With the london event so big, would be very handy.

Edited by magiclee

With my job, I have a lot of experience with apps and I can tell you that they are a hassle! Not only is it hard enough to get one working the way it is intended, but it is not possible to only make a single app. Many people only consider there needing to be 2 apps, iOS and Android, however you then will have all the people using Windows phones and Kindle Fires complaining. Not only that, but with there being so many different types of Android phones, it is really hard to make a stable app that works across all of them. If you do manage all of this you will then have people wanting more and more features added, such as live photoshoot times and updates of who and who isn't currently signing.

Showmasters would basically have to hire multiple people to work full time on writing the apps (it's rare that you find someone who can code for both Android and iOS apps) and keep them up to date throughout the show and seeing as SM rely heavily on volunteers, I can't see this happening.

• Like 3

I've posted about this before. There's so many features that would be helpful.

• the full schedule
  • delays and cancellations
  • floor plan
  • rolling news
  • competitions
  • auction updates
  • sold out notices

There's so much that would really help the tens of thousands of people who'd be there that weekend. It's also an app that could easily be reworked for each event.

• Like 1

If you want to be notified of guest announcements in the run up to the event, subscribe to this forum and set it to email you every time there's a new topic.

While an app could be cool, as has already been mentioned, it would be very costly and time consuming to make one that was good enough to meet expectations across multiple devices. As a Windows Phone user, I would be miffed if it was only available for iOS and Android like so many others. If you have a smartphone though, just make and itinerary using whatever app(s) you already have and set alarms if you want them. I usually make a list in OneNote which you can have tick boxes in and highlight stuff too, which makes things a bit easier on the day with a little but of planning ahead. It syncs with my computer so I can make the list on there and then view it on my phone when I'm at the convention.

Also if you want on the day updates, sign up for Twitter, follow Showmasters and turn on push notifications for when they tweet.

A pretty big convention in Germany has had an app for their conventions for a few years already and it works great, so yes it can be done, but it does mean investing money, I rather keep looking on paper sheets and have them keep the price of the auto's/shoots reasonable...lol

• Like 1