SHERLOCKED Hype & Preparations Fun

MildGrooveOn

Yeah me too, train home drooling over my 10 seconds with Benedict, Andrew and Rupert!! Posting badly taken camera phone pictures of the photos to Facebook and generally being grumpy that I'll have to go back to work!!!

First I have to get there. About back I will worry this time next week. :)

But yes, coming back to work cold be difficult. Especially when you cannot show off because nobody knows where you have been.

But yes, coming back to work cold be difficult. Especially when you cannot show off because nobody knows where you have been.

I booked Monday as a day off so I'll be able to wallow in my post Sherlocked comedown in privacy.

I haven't shut up about the convention at work for weeks so they'll all be fully in the know about where I've been :lol I'll deffo show them all my photo shoot pics :)

The only thing that's keeping me from already feeling sad in anticipation of it ending is that I have a Doctor Who convention booked for June... And the promise of a Sherlocked USA con at some point in the future.

Yeah, I'll have to worry about getting there in the first place, too, before allowing myself to wallow in any post-con blues. I'll be arriving from Germay by train* and it has been announced today that there will be a major strike amongst train drivers sometime next week. It will be announced 24 hours before. Please PLEASE let this not be on thursday when I booked my train ticket. :no:

*At least I'll not have to worry about luggage restrictions with that.

Ha ha they all know where I'm going at my workplace I haven't shut up about it since I bought the tickets lol

I booked a train too, as a backup, but cancelled it today.

I hope there will be no airline strikes.

The recent Geman Wings catastrophe wasn't helpful either. I hate flying.

We've been at a doll fair in Lyon, France last October by car (5 "girls" in a small van) and there was another attendee that was literally stranded in the town because there was an airline AND a railway strike. We've been able to take her with us, but the travel wasn't pleasant. Full packed car, sunny 26C and no air conditioning. At least she made it to Frankfurt before she could travel further to some place in East Germany. But I digress...

I was even thinking of going by car, but well, the left side traffic and that in London is a bit too much.

Where are you starting from, Big Blue?

Edited by J.P.

@J.P.: I booked my train ticket starting in Leipzig. And yes, the Germanwings plane crash was one of the reasons I decided against going by plane, even though there is a perfect little airport here, too. I just couldn't stomach booking a flight.

The thing is: I'm staying with a friend in London and the one (affordable) flight connection NOT serviced by Germanwings arrives around midnight in London Stansted. It'll probably be around 3 am before I arrive at my friend's which is just no option because she has to work. Another flight alternative would have taken me about 6 hours to Stansted with one stopover somewhere in south Germany. It's just too much of a hassle for me, I like trains more than planes, I find it more comfortable and relaxing, have no luggage restrictions and I don't have another commute from the airport to London to take into consideration (train arrives in central London). Plus, the train ticket was in the same price range as the plane ticket as well.

Oh, and I don't have a car so that's no option either.

If everything goes according to plan I'll arrive on thursday afternoon and will have enough time to get settled and go buy some groceries and stuff. That is, if said strike doesn't throw a massive spanner in it. :thumbdown:

(Sorry for boring you all with my convention-unrelated worries)

Edited by BigBlue

Oh, I suspect that Germanwings is the safest airline to fly right now. Booked my flight before the crash and have to admit I had a minor panic attack as I heard about it. Anyway, at least Stuttgart airport is in a reasonable distance from here.

Rationally speaking I too think flying is still the safest way to travel and Germanwings is a perfectly safe airline normally. But I admit it was a bit of a non-rational decision on my part to not go by plane this time. I've had some drama to deal with not too long ago which left me in a not so good mental condition and didn't want to face a panic attack or something during the flight on top of that, so train it is. Even if the trip takes a few more hours I still think it's not a bad alternative. I like trains. Lots of time to relax, read a good book, listen to music and looking forward to the con. I'm just happy I planned enough time for any incidents that could happen en route should it come to the worst strike-wise.

Can I just check which strike you guys were talking about as I havne't seen anything mentioned.

I've just looked at my train times and all looks good for getting there, even sunday re the Marathon. Hopefully as the race doesn't start until 10.30 it won't be an issue using the DLR as we will be travelling early and even if people are making their way to watch they won't be travelling to the Docklands!

All this talk of packing and flying makes me realise just how close this is now!!! 4 days at work to get through then woohoo!! I think those are going to be 4 of the longest days I've ever had LOL

I feel your pain!

Would you feel mine as well? :lol:

I'm dosing myself with anti-histamines at work this week due to an unexpected allergic reaction to god knows what!

Edited by maggiem