Cosplay

Zonic

I always decide to do Cosplay (July 2014 will be my 4th con) but then I always want to meet a handful of people and don't want to be in cosplay for my photos which has meant I've yet to go ahead with any plans.

BUT..

If I do go ahead with it this year then I want to go as Mystique (X-Men). I do special fx makeup so that would be awesome - would be a ridiculously early start for me though. Tired just thinking about it!

Edited by AxelV

When I said I might cosplay Dorothy the person I'm going to LFCC with said they'd cosplay a cyberman...so then its dorothy and the tin (well some kinda metal) man. lol! Well it made me chuckle anyway. Now If I could find a scarecrow (human nature) and a lion (Warriors Gate) I'd have the full set. Maybe have River as the Good witch. Who would be the bad witch?

I get a theme and my mind runs with it. ;)

I'll only be doing one day this time I think (not sure if it'll be Saturday or Sunday yet), but seeing as Sean Maher is there I'll definitely be bringing my River Tam out again.

Inara Serra (from Firely/Serenity)

Ooh yay, your Inara is great! What day are you gong as Inara? We'll have to try & meet up again if we're there on the same day.

Edited by smileywaveygirl

This is my first time at a con and I would love to cosplay...but I cannot sew and I lack any real type of creativity so does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to pull off a half decent outfit? I have looked at some sites that sell outfits and the cost is way out of my price range.

It is surprising what you can find. Ebay is good for cheap stuff for cosplay.

The she hulk costume that my wife wants to do is probably going to be a cheapish dress off ebay, ripped a bit and some green body paint.

If you look up on youtube there are loads of videos showing how to make cosplay weapons and armour out of cardboard.

Edited by Pod0509
  • Like 1

This is my first time at a con and I would love to cosplay...but I cannot sew and I lack any real type of creativity so does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to pull off a half decent outfit? I have looked at some sites that sell outfits and the cost is way out of my price range.

What/who do you want to cosplay?

My thing is vintage and historical...hence I tend to lurk around those types of sewing forums. And sew my own stuff.

It is surprising what you can find. Ebay is good for cheap stuff for cosplay.

The she hulk costume that my wife wants to do is probably going to be a cheapish dress off ebay, ripped a bit and some green body paint.

If you look up on youtube there are loads of videos showing how to make cosplay weapons and armour out of cardboard.

Thanks, that is a good idea I never thought of Youtube. I will take a look : )

What/who do you want to cosplay?

My thing is vintage and historical...hence I tend to lurk around those types of sewing forums. And sew my own stuff.

I am not to sure yet, at the moment I am looking at what I can do, not really what I want to do. There are loads of things I wouldn't mind doing so hopefully something will turn up in my price range that I am interested in : )

I think it really all depends on what you want to cosplay. I am, I'll admit, a sucker for cosplays that are just every day clothes so it doesn't take an awful lot of sewing, etc. on top of sourcing the correct items. It might be an idea to write yourself a list of outfits you'd really love to do, and then try to figure out which would be the easiest to start on. As you cosplay more you can build up to more extravagant things that require more skill. I'll be wearing nothing but normal clothes in the summer, but it doesn't mean that any less effort went into it; I'm having to make weapons belts and all sorts, not to mention weathering everything, which is fun in itself.

• Like 1

I think it really all depends on what you want to cosplay. I am, I'll admit, a sucker for cosplays that are just every day clothes so it doesn't take an awful lot of sewing, etc. on top of sourcing the correct items. It might be an idea to write yourself a list of outfits you'd really love to do, and then try to figure out which would be the easiest to start on. As you cosplay more you can build up to more extravagant things that require more skill. I'll be wearing nothing but normal clothes in the summer, but it doesn't mean that any less effort went into it; I'm having to make weapons belts and all sorts, not to mention weathering everything, which is fun in itself.

It's amazing once you start looking how just a few tweaks or modifications and you can make normal clothes have a cosplay feel. Sometimes its just the combination of items worn with a swagger that makes it special.

• Like 1

Thanks this is great advice. It is really daunting doing it for your first time, so many of the outfits seem so amazing and I had a mild panic about it all. I think your idea is the right one, thanks so much : )

It's amazing once you start looking how just a few tweaks or modifications and you can make normal clothes have a cosplay feel. Sometimes its just the combination of items worn with a swagger that makes it special.

I think this is what I am going to do, thanks so much fot the advice : )

Thanks this is great advice. It is really daunting doing it for your first time, so many of the outfits seem so amazing and I had a mild panic about it all. I think your idea is the right one, thanks so much : )

You're welcome! :) I'm glad I could help. Cosplay is a lot of fun, so don't go worrying about it unless you absolutely have to.

• Like 1

Also if you have a look you can buy the green buymore tshirts. You could be a buymoron.

At the moment I am thinking of trying Kara Thrace from BsG. With some careful vest shopping I think I might be able to do it. If not, Buymoron it is!!! Thanks for the suggestion. : )