Return key not working on forum?

CosmicAvatar

I don't think I've ever asked a general assistance question before, so apologies if this is in the wrong place and please could it be moved to the right one if applicable? Anyway, starting yesterday (I think), my Return key (you know, for creating new paragraphs) stopped working in here, although it's absolutely fine everywhere else. Has something changed on the forum to have caused this and is anyone else having this problem? I'm using IE10 and have been doing so for a fair while so not sure if it's relevant or not.

We do the usual forum software updates, but I checked the logs and nothing happened yesterday. A really odd thing. Have you tried a different browser?

Terrahawk and Starbug, can you give an estimate when your problems started? And what browser do you use?

I've checked with IE, Firefox and Chrome and can't recreate the problem.

At least 5 weeks I'd say - I mentioned it here a month ago

why does my return button never work on this website on this laptop?).

That machine is a touchscreen windows 8 with the current IE

Thank you. I'm so sorry. I remember reading that, but I thought you were cursing at your laptop. If something like that is overlooked please feel free to drop me a line at the e-mail in my profile.

Starbug & Cosmic Avatar, are you posting on a touchscreen device too?

Starbug & Cosmic Avatar, are you posting on a touchscreen device too?

Nope, just a bog-standard PC with keyboard (heh, I went to press Return so there'd be a decent space between the quote and my reply and of course it didn't work - d'oh!). I'll see if I can get it to work on another browser.

Take 2

Aha, it works on Google Chrome! So it does appear to be a problem affecting my IE10, but I wonder why it took so long to kick in, given that I've had this version for a while? Ah, well...

p.s. I've checked my older posts and the last time I made a post that required the use of the Return key was 9 March. So whatever it was that has caused this could have happened any time between then and now (I think my browser did automatically update to IE10 during that time, so is the most likely culprit).

Edited by CosmicAvatar

I googled for this issue and IP Boards and it's apparently an IE10 issue, is everyone using that that's having the problem?

Terrahawk is apparently seeing he mentioned "latest IE" - Starbug, what browser are you on? I was kind of hoping it would be a mobile setting with the forum. But as that is out it does really look like it's the IE 10 issue.

I didn't doubt it. I was just wondering if I was exempt :lol: Also checking to see if it is a specific OS version (mine being 7) issue. Originally the bug was on Windows 8/IE10 last year but with 7 just gaining access to IE10 I was checking to see if Windows 7 had escaped the bug. Guess not.