List NEW idea's that could improve the show.

Let me start by saying this is NOT a place to vent about stuff, like improve the Queing system or talks clashing with photo shoots..

This is for new ideas that could make the show better, like for example have a room/area showing new and upcoming movie trailers.

I'm sure people have other ideas as well, better than my example.

I attended the show on Sunday and although i enjoyed it i wasn't blown away by it. I'm not a big fan of getting autographs so spend most time walking round the stalls and would just like more things to do.

Thanks

I too would like a room of stuff to do during down time, with trailers etc even if they are for films that are only out in a couple of months - it could perhaps bring money into the con if showmasters are paid to show certain trailers :) Though the gaming area is pretty cool, it gets busy quickly so not always a downtime option.

I know someone asked about lockers in another thread, and this is probably more of a venue thing than something that can be brought in by SM seeing as there's already a cloakroom, but a wall of lockers would be good for people to deposit bags of merch etc or costume changes that they can easily come back to and use the same coin to re-deposit it, so they neither have to carry it around all day nor drop it in the cloakroom and decide when to go and get it, it would be much easier and quicker to have lockers but I understand this is probably not practical as not the sorta thing you can just bring on setup day, I suppose!

What about a whole film screening? Or perhaps even a sing-along/themed event based on a classic? I understand for most people 2hrs ish out of the day will prevent them getting to talks/autos/ohotoshoots, and it is lot of time to take up space that could be used for photoshoots and talks, but I went to a Labyrinth sing/quote-along elsewhere after the con and it was great fun so would be a good thing for people who go for the experience/only have a couple of people to meet. Obviously it could be charged like some of the talks :)

A bit of theme music around the entrance areas would be good.

Bringing back photo IDs for Gold passes to speed up distribution.

The costume party idea being deployed at STL seems like a good idea for LFCC maybe fri or Saturday night?

Proper tape queues at photos and Autos.

More information I.e signage on rest areas and information points dotted around the event.

The movie trailers idea is pretty cool.

A walk through an episode of a tv show with the cast to put a bit of meat on a talk ?

A bit of brain storming there, if I think of anything else I'll do an edit....

• Moderators

A couple of drinks machines with reasonably priced drinks would be much appreciated.

Were you not able to bring anything yourself or pop out to the Tesco over the road etc?

I know it's a little more effort but venue prices will always be expensive regardless of where you are, especially London.

Were you not able to bring anything yourself or pop out to the Tesco over the road etc?

I know it's a little more effort but venue prices will always be expensive regardless of where you are, especially London.

It was more something that would be nice to have, rather than an actual complaint. Thanks for the response.

• Moderators

It was more something that would be nice to have, rather than an actual complaint. Thanks for the response.

It's not a problem .. just you'd be surprised at the number of people that don't realise they can't leave the venue and come back :)

How about design-a-superhero? Each day there would be a challenge for amateur comic writers to invent a new superhero (strictly for the convention), vote on their superpowers, and have one drawn up for the end of the day? Maybe cosplayers could make a costume for the next day?

We could get in the Guinness book of records for the most Spocks in one place?

Edited by Les

A bit of theme music around the entrance areas would be good.

Yes! Whilst I am patient in some ways, I was getting very restless/agitated on the Friday in the queue to buy photoshoots as it was so quiet and there was nothing to stimulate/occupy my mind. A bit of background music could help people calm, if it is audible enough for those on downtime to hear but quiet enough not to interfere with talks/general conversation. This wasn't as much of an issue in queues on Saturday due to busier crowds meaning more general noise and a better atmosphere, but it's a consideration.

More temporary signage before the show opens telling people where to queue.

Being able to select if you want a potrait or landscape photoshoot picture.

Movie trailers on tv screens around the event or clips of the shows that the guests attending have been in or are in. subject to the royalty copyright issues.

• Like 1

How about competitions/ raffle with prizes.

Showmasters could give away a free autograph guest of your choice.

How about "identify the random props from Jason's Collection" or "identify the film tagline" or "where is the logo from".

(It would have to be a "strictly for fun" quiz, too many people with access to the Internets).

Edited by Les

A bigger comic Zone (the whole comic part of the event seems to be fading away).

I think that is what they intended to do this year so they are thinking about that already, and tbh it did seem a little better than what I remember from a couple of years ago, with the whole small press/independent section (even if they do have to pay for their own tables) as well as the guest artists for bigger comics. Perhaps there could be a whole section that keeps the artist guests and the independent stall-holders together rather than have the comic artists next to stalls and independent/small press section treated with the same respect - a bit of signage, for example.

There were some large comic stalls, and many comic-inspired cosplays so I think comics were more prominent in the con than they have been in the past.

- Better quality sound in talks. Hire a professional host to shepard the questions and explain the rules prior to the start (no hugs!)

- Digital delivery of photoshoot portraits.

- No more men in seethrough posion ivy costumes. Cosplay gracefully guys.

Crazy idea...less photoshoots!

Upside: More space for stalls, signings, other activities. Less strain on printers (the photographs that are taken should be back quicker with less problems, less activity around photo collection).

Downside: Less money for Showmasters, more people getting photos at the table (slows down the queue, might cause people to miss meeting the guest at all), not everyone likes the aesthetic of the 'over the table' pose. I'm only suggesting this idea for the less busy guests...

• Like 1

An easier way for the staff selling the photo shoots and talk tickets to get the total cost. Barcodes or something on the tickets so they can rapidly scan through a batch of tickets even if it is just to bring up the prices (a lot of people have smart phones and barcode scanner apps are available on most platforms), a lot of the time taken in that queue seemed to be due to the staff having to check how much each ticket was as it isn't on the tickets and then adding it up (some by hand). Though adding the prices of things to the tickets even would probably help speed things up a great deal. Also maybe a 'high speed queue' i.e. you only want to buy one photo shoot ticket rather then be behind a queue of people wanting 10 or so things you could get through a lot of people pretty quickly this way which would help reduce the sheer amount of people queuing in the morning and then potentially missing out on early photo shoots.

-Robe barriers for the photo area queing, should in theory make queing more organised

- White boards at each photo session area which could be updated with info such as current guest photo, next guest photo and what numbers should be queing. The crew seemed to try and shout stuff out as much as possible but it's hard to hear unless you are right next to them.

not a complaint as such but where the main talk area was when a trailer/clips were being shown obviously the lights went down ,those stars behind the area were then in the dark and photo taking meant that flash lighting were being used and when the poor stars are having their photos taken every few seconds not good for their eyes

• Like 1

more decoration (the grey boards everywhere just made it felt drab)

make it more fun,

more seating (7 hours in killer heels was a mistake)

more emphasis on the comic side, maybe invite some of the bigger companies (marvel, DC, darkhorse etc )

better queue system for photos (digital ?)

just make the place feel more epic!!!!!

• Like 1