Newbie question - can I bring my SLR camera?

Hi - I'll be attending Saturday, my first ever con!

I've read the FAQs and understand that some guests allow photos when signing and some may even lean over the table with you, and others have a strict no photography policy - but are there rules about the type of camera allowed?

I have an SLR - will that be a problem? I don't want to cart it all the way to London to be told I can't use it!

Thanks in advance!

B)

Of course you'll be able to :)

I've been bringing my SLR along since 2010 and its not been a problem at all. Of course theres different zoom lenses that may or may not be used in the talks but an SLR is perfectly fine.

Edited by KingRichard76

Well, I will have again my DVD camcorder with me. I've already filmed a bit for myself last year too... its not really a problem. But I can be possible than an actor don't want be filmed. For others again its ok. so just respect them... I would say.

I have just filmed around the event, some actors... but not direct on the front and agressive. so be carefull I only can say ;-)

• Moderators

Yep definitely just be aware of other people, and of signs that might be up .. other than that, you're pretty much good to go :)

No filming in talks. Flash photography for the first minute or two normally then no-flash after. Think that's it!

Basically it's always better to ask before taking a picture too. I've crewed with one or two actors who were fine with pictures being taken as long as they were asked beforehand. Gives you better pictures too ;)

well, my only advice as a cosplayer is be carefull of taking pics of some costume people as they can get fussy about it and don't under any circumstance take a pic of a kid in a costume because you think "awww adorable" or whatever because even with an innocent move that can look really dodgy! other then that, go ahead, knock yourself out and have a blast

well, my only advice as a cosplayer is be carefull of taking pics of some costume people as they can get fussy about it and don't under any circumstance take a pic of a kid in a costume because you think "awww adorable" or whatever because even with an innocent move that can look really dodgy! other then that, go ahead, knock yourself out and have a blast

Fair points.

I think the golden rule, be it for adult or child cosplayers (or indeed anyone really), is to ask first and if they don't want their picture taken don't take it personally.

The forum is here to answer questions. Hopefully, they sorted you out above.

I was going to say you are welcome to take my photo as long as you pay me, but who the heck would want to do that :lol:

Though I do have a resemblance to a certain current Prime Minister as I get reminded on a too frequent basis...

Hope you have a great weekend!