To Cosplay or not to Cosplay. (The Truth Is... in this thread)

For the last week or so I've been looking into cosplaying as Mulder and thought this would all be pretty cool - I've never cosplayed for a con before (apart from very briefly for the William B. Davis photoshoot) but as this event is going to be epic due to a certain Actress :) I'd like to do this.

I've been really excited into doing this to the point I need to start scouring local charity shops for the rest of my costume- BUT!

Last night Gillian did a live webchat where a number of various questions were asked and it became quite clear she's moved on (or at least gave that impression) from X-Files. After seeing this I automatically became conscious of my idea to cosplay then realised if it would still be a good idea or not - don't get me wrong, I'd love to and would be awesomely fabbo to cosplay as Mulder - but at the same time I guess I'm also conscious of wanting to give Gillian a good impression.

If it was a "Monster of the week" cosplay then I would obviously not go that far. But it would only be a subtle costume.

Kind of guess what I'm asking is, do I want to look somewhat "normal" so as to give a good first impression orrr don the suit? ;)

*Flashes I.D.*

Well, this is the thing I don't feel she would be flattered, and this is the part that kind of worries me. Its not everyday you get to meet someone who's been part of a huge cultural phenomenon and I'm all for making first good impressions with people.

I find it so sad when actors say they've 'moved on' from shows. Of course actors like to do be known for other roles, but that doesn't mean you can't be proud. I say, go for it! If you love a show she is very well known for, go for it! And enjoy yourself. Cosplay is awesome! :D

Just go for it!!!

I'm sure you won't be the only one, and what if you don't cosplay and you see a lot of people cosplaying mulder, and you regret it.. If i am not mistaken i understand you only wear a suit with a mulder badge? If you don't feel comfortable with it at LFCC you can always take off the badge right? No harm in seeing someone in a suit.

• Like 4

Realistically, you will just be a fan to her, someone who wants an autograph at a convention. In the context of fans at a con, she'll probably find cosplay amusing or flattering. What would be strange is if you met her in another context, socially or for business, and dressed up as a character she's played. I think that by 'moved on', she most likely just means to say that she'd like people to pay some attention to her other work, too -- not that she finds X-files fans horrible bores to meet or interact with. I suspect she'll expect X-files fans and cosplayers at cons. You'll probably want her to autograph a picture of her character from the show, so she'll know you're a fan, anyway.

And if you do cosplay, you may meet some other fans of the show who think your outfit is awesome. Maybe make some new friends. I think that's worth it!

I would go for it. It's obviously something that has been on your mind and you don't want to regret not doing it especially if you see her making a positive comment towards anyone else who has done it. While she might not be flattered, by the fact you are getting 3 items signed shows you are a dedicated fan of hers (especially if one is non x-files). She will probably smile in the knowledge that she has in some way helped inspire you in life.

Well, hows about that then? I went into the first local charity shop about ten minutes ago & found a PERFECT Mulder suit. #Budgetunaffected

I've been looking at this thread and seeing the overwhelming amount of positive responses and was actually surprised, a lot of opinions have very much swayed my decision, went up the road to the first local charity shop asked for the mens suit jacket and found one (a suit) that looks extremely reminiscent of episodes I've currently been watching - I was partly watching them to get a good idea of what to look out for, colours, shades etc etc. Saw the price tag on one I thought was perfect and just putting on the jacket itself just screamed "MULDER!" at me.

Went into the dressing room and put on the trousers too, and when upon I emerged both the staff in the shop and even other customers said "Very smart!"

It was a given that its to be.

The good thing also is that its not very prominent, it doesn't exactly scream "X-FILES FAN IN COSPLAY ALERT!" to those unfamiliar with the show but to X-Philes themselves they'll get it straight away.

It will also be the first time I actually look all smart at a con lol :) Jeans and T-Shirt? What are they?

N.B. Special thanks to David Duchovnys costumer for making my life and the search for a suit even easier :)

• Like 1

I've got the suit, I've got the attitude, I've got the props, I've had a shave...

But, whether or not I actually do decide to do this on the day is another matter - due to my initial concern.

Personal I find men in suits hot! Or is that just me?

This suit actually fits me real well, when I came out of the makeshift dressing room (in the charity shop) even one or two other shoppers liked the look of it so I hope you like what you see if you see me :) X

• Like 1