Handing out photos after photoshoots

Hello :)

Well this was a thing being discussed alot after last ComicCon.

Handing out the photos from the photoshoots, alot of complaints about fingerprints, people wanting electronic copies etc etc. (I had no trouble with fingerprints but would have loved electronic copies)

Since its almost seven months till Comincon I thought Id ask about this now rather than later. Do you have any plans on changing the routines?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At EMS, after LFCC, the crew in the photo distribution area were wearing gloves and there were signs requsting that people do not handle the photos but wait until they were handed them by the crew.

Thats nice :)

Any prospects of electronic copies? (just asking :) )

I'm not aware that the situation has changed. It is not a total "no", but still a "not for the moment."

If it changes it will probably be for future events first with a possible add on of older shows implemented later.

I'm glad it's not been ruled out completely. I've been getting photoshoots at every show since the Elijah Wood one about 6 years ago, and i'd like digital copies of all of them if they were available. I take care of them, but would still be happier if I had them digitally. And I know it's possible to scan them, but I always prefer the originals.

I'm not aware that the situation has changed. It is not a total "no", but still a "not for the moment."

If it changes it will probably be for future events first with a possible add on of older shows implemented later.

Thanks for fast answers, and nice one that it isnt a 100% no :)

Wondermoose is a genius. Please Showmasters listen to him and provide an option to have the high res. digital jpeg instead of or as well as the print.

I hate the printed copy. It can get ruined in transit and I have to scan it when I get back to Ireland which means if the photo makes it back to Ireland undamaged then I end up with a scanned version of the print as a digital copy which just doesn't look right.

I can't imagine in the slightest there would be any objection from the photographer to have his photos provided this way so it surely is just a matter of logistics. That being the case Showmasters should be able to provide this service with relative ease considering everything else they have to deal with.

• Moderators

Digital copies have been suggested since the day photo shoots were first introduced. It's certainly not a new idea, and one that Showmasters are fully aware of.

So there's clearly things to be taken into consideration, and it's not that easy sadly.

Wouldn't it safe time/paper/money to distribute digital copies instead of prints?

I like professionally printed photos SMs is providing, but I'd defintely like to have a digital copy as well and I wouldn't mind to have the digital copy only instead of the print.

Edited by SammyRomie

Wouldn't it safe time/paper/money to distribute digital copies instead of prints?

Paper maybe, time and money... I don't think so.

It may be doable at the ME weekend events. But at LFACC some shoots do sell out at 400 pictures each. So we easily get in the higher 1000s each day. So you would need several machines to get it all done. Those costs need to be covered. Everyone would have to bring an USB stick (risking the distribution of viruses), or SM would have to provide them at additional cost.

Crew would be needed to watch the machines at least, ideally to run distribution. I know for the normal attendee it sounds crazy that someone would pick up a photo with someone else on it, but that has happened.

If you do it after the event you pretty much need one additional person in the office, and again those costs need to be covered.

Paper maybe, time and money... I don't think so.

It may be doable at the ME weekend events. But at LFACC some shoots do sell out at 400 pictures each. So we easily get in the higher 1000s each day. So you would need several machines to get it all done. Those costs need to be covered. Everyone would have to bring an USB stick (risking the distribution of viruses), or SM would have to provide them at additional cost.

Crew would be needed to watch the machines at least, ideally to run distribution. I know for the normal attendee it sounds crazy that someone would pick up a photo with someone else on it, but that has happened.

If you do it after the event you pretty much need one additional person in the office, and again those costs need to be covered.

I can understand the logistical problems, but well "we" have 7 months to figure it out :D

upload all the photos to website so people can click which are theres and have them sent out no clammering round tables waiting for photos to arrive then photos could be sent with a disk with the digital copies this would also save you money having to pay for extra staff to man tables

upload all the photos to website so people can click which are theres and have them sent out no clammering round tables waiting for photos to arrive then photos could be sent with a disk with the digital copies this would also save you money having to pay for extra staff to man tables

I very much doubt that an online only distribution will happen.

A lot of attendees get their photoshoot pictures signed. Your idea does remove that possibility.

True, normally the guest will come back. But then there's guests like Andy Hallett for example who are no longer with us and died very unexpected.

The money saved on staff at the event ends up in postage costs instead and in costs for the staff to send out pictures. (The staff who are sending the pictures that were not picked up out so far are doing this as volunteers in their spare time. An online only distribution will require a full office person for sure.) Also as pointed out above people can try and claim photos they do not own - don't forget that at this point the pictures are already paid for.

Besides that I know a lot of people who would not be happy to see their picture online by kind of "default".

I know I must sound like I am trying to tell everyone it's a bad idea and will never happen, and I do apologize for that in advance. I am just trying to explain why things are not as easy as they may look. This question comes up every couple of month, so some ideas have been posted before.

As I said above the idea is not completely ruled out, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

I can understand the logistical problems, but well "we" have 7 months to figure it out :WAVE:

If it was just that easy. :WAVE:

If you're curious do a forum search and you will find some prior discussions on this.

I really like proper photos. I guess I was lucky that my 4 pictures had no finger prints or anything but proper photos is something you can hold and treasure. Where as with digital photos there is always a chance you might loose it or someone not thinking it's real. I don't know maybe I'm just weird but I like the way it is at the moment :WAVE:

Besides that I know a lot of people who would not be happy to see their picture online by kind of "default".
Especially, and quite understandably, some parents whose children may be featured.

I know I must sound like I am trying to tell everyone it's a bad idea and will never happen, and I do apologize for that in advance. I am just trying to explain why things are not as easy as they may look. This question comes up every couple of month, so some ideas have been posted before.
Just to add, Queen_Sindel and I have chatted about the digital option in the past, and personally speaking I would purchase the majority of my photo shoots if I could. I think I am safe in saying that QS would do the same, especially those involving Alexis Cruz, Michael Shanks, and some chap called Ben Browder.

I suspect David would like it as an option well. If only so that he could photoshop himself out of the photo :WAVE:

I dont really care as long as distribution is handled better than previous years maybe put the photos in clear plastic wallets that would stop the finger print problem at very little expense considering what most people pay out for photoshoots each event

I dont really care as long as distribution is handled better than previous years maybe put the photos in clear plastic wallets that would stop the finger print problem at very little expense considering what most people pay out for photoshoots each event

As I mentioned earlier
At EMS, after LFCC, the crew in the photo distribution area were wearing gloves and there were signs requesting that people do not handle the photos but wait until they were handed them by the crew.

So as long as attendees obey the instructions it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I really like proper photos. I guess I was lucky that my 4 pictures had no finger prints or anything but proper photos is something you can hold and treasure. Where as with digital photos there is always a chance you might loose it or someone not thinking it's real. I don't know maybe I'm just weird but I like the way it is at the moment :WAVE:

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks like this, I much prefer to have my picture as a picture!!! I guess I'm just old fashioned but for someone who works with technology day in day out I actually get fed up with it, I know some people prefer to have everything on computer and usb sticks but it's all a bit impersonal to me I like my picture on paper and will gladly deal with scanning it if I feel the need to post it on Facebook or some such website!!!!!

Where as with digital photos there is always a chance you might loose it

Easier to loose or damage a real photo, surely?

Especially, and quite understandably, some parents whose children may be featured.

I don't see why it couldn't be a nice little earner as an optional additional service.

You'd only need tiny thumbnails online with a reference number just so people would know what photo to order. Buy the digital photo (or for that matter a duplicate print), have it emailed (or posted)

Once the admin's been paid for you'd be in to profit.

Just offering a one time print of a photo seems so basic in this day and age.

Photos that aren't collected are uploaded aren't they?

With the greatest of respect to everyone who has commented, TerraHawk above is right; this really is something that Showmasters could implement with relative ease.

DavidB mentioned this has been a problem for "years" and to be honest if that is the case then whomever has been at the drawing board trying to work out how to put in place a system in which a digital file is provided needs to get the sack because this is not a problem that could take "years" to deal with. (Not trying to be rude DavidB :))

Someone mentioned a good point that people may want to get their photo signed by the person in the photo and I suppose that's a good point.

The thing is if you've a digital file you can print it but it doesn't work so well the other way around.

I think this service is offered in other Cons in the US, although I could be mistaken.

You'd only need tiny thumbnails online with a reference number just so people would know what photo to order. Buy the digital photo (or for that matter a duplicate print), have it emailed (or posted)

The problem with this is that some people wouldn't want their photos online available to be viewed or even risk being copied by anyone else.

What's to stop someone getting their photo and then also one of someone else they may have seen and "like"? I know it seems an odd thing to want to do but in my job you see plenty of stranger things than that which people do, so it is something that SM would need to be wary of and I'm sure they wouldn't want the risk of legal action if someone else got hold of a photo they shouldn't have and used it for something inappropriate.

People do weird stuff sometimes, not everyone is honest. It has been mentioned there's been the odd occasion when someone has taken someone elses photo, maybe by mistake, but at least the way it works now it's easier for someone to see if you're taking your own photo or someone elses and I've seen people being stopped from doing that, even though they're maybe picking up one for a friend.

On the face of it, making digital copies available sounds straightforward enough but there would need to be some way of restricting it so that you can only get copies of "your" photo and not see or buy anyone elses. Maybe that could be tied in to the shot reference number printed on the back of the prints but it would still be easy to guess others and potentially get hold of other peoples prints.

Plus there's the website design/maintenance and hosting costs and someone would need to upload potentially thousands of photos and only a few people may go for the digital copy which may not be enough to cover those costs. Many people I'm sure are happy with the print they get at the show. I don't know how many would want to pay extra to get a digital copy, which I'm sure would be an extra cost. Maybe a survey can be done at a future event at the photobooths where people can be asked if they'd be interested in a digital copy just to judge demand.

I know I sound negative. It would be good to have the option as although I scan mine for backup, it's not the same quality. I don't know how events which do offer the option work but with the thousands of people and photos you're dealing with I'm struggling to think of a simple, safe and low-cost solution.

Also, could there possible be any contractual or legal reason agreed with the guest why a digital copy of a photo of them isn't given out? I've no idea, just another thing I thought of.

Photos that aren't collected are uploaded aren't they?

No. People provide a description of themsleves, what they were wearing etc and volunteers work to match that up with the photos not collected at the show and send them out.

Edited by Rockstar6662

The problem with this is that some people wouldn't want their photos online available to be viewed or even risk being copied by anyone else.

Thumbnails would be no bigger than avatars. Not a lot to see. Just enought to pick out yourself.

Another option would just be take down email addresses and times then email thumbnails. Bit more work envolved.

Maybe that could be tied in to the shot reference number printed on the back of the prints but it would still be easy to guess others and potentially get hold of other peoples prints.

Thats the other thing I thought of. I'm not sure how easy it would be to guess codes

Obviously parents need to be wary, but by that reason you have no idea who's buying tickets to go through the doors with their own camera. I know theres one person who's served time for indecent images who goes to the events, but what can ya do?

I think this service is offered in other Cons in the US, although I could be mistaken.

The one I know of that is doing it is running shows like the ME weekend kind. With one or maybe two exceptions lot less attendees to deal with, maximum maybe 500, but lots of the events are way smaller. And even then the lines are crazy, an hour waits are not rare. It's the photographer doing it there himself.

It's been mentioned by attendees in the last discussion in summer that larger events are doing it too, with a variant of the online distribution described here.

Costs in those cases are $ 5 are (that was quoted for the large ones) or $ 10 (for the ones I know). That's 3 respectively 6 pounds. I've seen it done elsewhere online for roughly 6 pounds too. I'll pick an average (I have no idea if that even covers the cost) and ask how many attendees would buy the files if they are 5 pounds each? In past discussions the majority seemed to be willing to pay 1 or 2 pounds or even expected they'd get the files for free. I realize that most of the posters in this thread will pay. But then for all of us who would pay there's someone who will go "that is too expensive." Just look at the threads about the "will you pay more for bigger guests?" question, or the Neill Armstrong topic in the Autographica section.

Thats the other thing I thought of. I'm not sure how easy it would be to guess codes

Pretty much what rockstar said above...

If the person is within a certain range of people of you in the line way too easy.

Unless the system would involve the file number printed on the back by the lab (and that guess would be really too easy) a somewhat not easy to figure out system would include hand numbering the photos. Besides the work involved... use sharpie for that and you either will need a lot of space to spread the pictures out for a moment or risk smudges. Use pens or biros and you risk the number pressing through on the picture. And that is not including the time delay when 1000s of photos need to be numbered.

What's to stop someone getting their photo and then also one of someone else they may have seen and "like"? I know it seems an odd thing to want to do but in my job you see plenty of stranger things than that which people do, so it is something that SM would need to be wary of and I'm sure they wouldn't want the risk of legal action if someone else got hold of a photo they shouldn't have and used it for something inappropriate.

People do weird stuff sometimes, not everyone is honest. It has been mentioned there's been the odd occasion when someone has taken someone elses photo, maybe by mistake, but at least the way it works now it's easier for someone to see if you're taking your own photo or someone elses and I've seen people being stopped from doing that, even though they're maybe picking up one for a friend.

I've said it last time this discussion came up: A while ago a friend of mine stopped a random stranger wandering off with one of my Stargate: Atlantis photos at another show.

It was one where we had done a special pose there with props and those girls even admitted to picking it up on purpose because they liked the pose Joe Flanigan had done.

I have no idea if they intended to cut me out or what and I'm really not sure if I even want to know... but I can personally confirm that it does happen.

Once the admin's been paid for you'd be in to profit.

No. You will still need to pay someone to actually mail the photos and deal with queries. Just look at the amount of questions posted after each show now aksing when not picked up photos will be mailed etc.

With the greatest of respect to everyone who has commented, TerraHawk above is right; this really is something that Showmasters could implement with relative ease.

DavidB mentioned this has been a problem for "years" and to be honest if that is the case then whomever has been at the drawing board trying to work out how to put in place a system in which a digital file is provided needs to get the sack because this is not a problem that could take "years" to deal with. (Not trying to be rude DavidB :))

Why is this "a problem" in your eyes?

Digital images being made available has been a request that keeps coming up since the photoshoots were implemented, yes. But personally I wouldn't call the current non-availability a problem. A problem are the issues Wondermoose mentioned in the first post. Issues at the photo distribution, photos damaged and so on.

As 1of2 has stated, I would buy some files myself for sure. But it's not a problem in my eyes that they are not available. Yes, the extra service to have them available would be nice. And Showmasters definitely know the interest for the files is there. But sometimes an extra service takes a bit of time to implement, especially if there are lots of possible things to consider. You're seeing it in the posts above. Pretty much as soon as some has an idea there's a post why the idea is not working as easy as one could first think.

You've got to realllllllly have the hots for another attendee to do something that strange!