Feedback thread

CosmicAvatar

I thought I'd start this one as well as the thank-you thread because I'd rather keep the two topics separate.

Location: the Radisson Edwardian? WAY better than the Thistle. Heh. It was a little squishy queueing-wise at times, so it's a good thing we did have lower numbers this time (would we have had larger rooms if there were more attendees? I guess the auto-signing could have moved to the main hall if so, which would have taken the pressure off). But I loved the chill-out area outside the main hall, my bedroom was good, even pre-refurb, and the in-house grub may have been expensive, but it was scrummy (although the brekky was a little substandard), and this McDonalds was a much shorter walk away. I approve.

On the whole, the event was run with the usual sterling efficiency by ME and the crew. I would have liked more audience participation on the quiz as is customary, but I suspect Charisma was causing some of the rules to be rewritten on the fly. *snigger*

Adam and Amber are possibly the most adorkablesauce joint attendees ever.

I love all my photos, particularly my one with Anthony because it is my new FAVOURITE (have already thanked Malcolm for that, but shout-out anyway).

OK, stopping now. Will post any more thoughts if I have them.

Edited by CosmicAvatar

Still on a high (and still at hotel) but struggling to think of many negatives. Thought everything worked brilliantly. Hotel is very nice, once I found the way into the car park after not seeing a sign and driving straight past.

Room nice, thought breakfast was fab personally. Drinks stupidly expensive and service behind bar very slow and confusing. Had to wait ages for my change one time, everyone seemed to be handing money to one person at the till who got very confused.

Could be some queuing issues with lots more numbers and more guests but guess there's other rooms that could be used.

Free water available at the parties was superb.

All guests were amazing and the group photo was fabulous.

Crew were great, everything seemed well organised and ran smoothly as far as I could tell. Much more relaxed than the events I'm used to which took a while to appreciate.

Might have been good to announce the winners of the guest encounters in the main hall rather than having to run out to check. Also I don't recall hearing that photos were ready for collection, just noticed people bringing them back. May have missed it though.

But all relatively minor points and I've had a brilliant time for my first time. Hard to believe its all over. Don't even mind the sound of the aircraft taking off when I open my window.

Good shout on creating another topic for event feedback CosmicAvatar, sometimes i feel the well deserved thanks yous get lost within evaluation of the event.

First and foremost, I'd just like to say what an enjoyable time I had, it was a great event and I loved every second of it! But as I am sitting on the train home and still have 1.5 hours to go I figure i'll give my feedback now ;) However, I am writting this on my phone, so sorry for any spelling mistakes!

I liked the Radisson as venue, it's a very nice hotel, but as CosmicAvatar said the drinks were very expensive, but I guess that's to be expected anyway.

I thought the venue was perfect for the size of the event this year, but if the event had more attendees I could see it being a tight squeeze for autographs and queuing for photos etc.

My only minor niggle with the weekend was the Gold ticket drinks reception on the Friday night, I understand completely the circumstances and why there were only two guests but it was a little dissapointing considering the difference in cost between a gold and silver ticket... Also our table ended up having 16+ people around it, so there was very litter opportunity to talk to Amber or Charisma, perhaps groups of 10 would work better, because ours was so large we couldn't hear anything. That being said Amber and Charisma were both great and made sure they spoke to every single person which I thought was great of them. Also i did enjoy the constant topping up my wine glass, that was great ;)

It was great to see the group photoshoot being offered, and at a price of £25 it was exceptional value! So thanks a lot for that one guys, it was great :P

Party wise it was good, I really enjoyed Friday night and last night (obviously I can't comment on tonight as I'm not their lol), I enjoyed the band, but I'm not sure if they really fit with Hallowhedon...I can see it going down well at thw Twilight Events though...but then again perhaps that's just me!

I would have loved to have seen Adam's band Common Rotation play, but again I understand the cost and the logistics of that would have been rather expensive and difficult.

Nice touch on the quick fire shooting game on Friday night, that was pretty fun :(

What else.... Dealers room was good as always, it's nice to be able to pick up a different picture and stuff, which is something other events don't have, so it's always good.

The cross word and word search in the registration packs were good, it gave you something to while waiting about, so it was a nice little extra thing to do.

The quiz was good, but as has been mentioned perhaps a bit more audience participation next time.....

Photo pick up was good too, well laid out, but an announcement in the main hall would have been cool as like Rockstar I don't recall hearing one...also it would be cool if you guys could announce the guest encounter winners in the main hall too.

These are all just minor things, it was a very well organised and executed event... One of the best i've ever been to! :D

Good fun as always . Thanks to all concerned.

The guests were great, loved how feisty Charisma is! and the crew were helpful and friendly

A few bits of what I hope will be seen as constructive criticism rather than whinging.

The queue system for the autographs wasn't as smooth as usual. I know the numbers were lower but it really does work having autos called by ticket numbers and it was irksome to queue, get one autograph then have to go out of the room and join the end of the main queue to get back in for your next one. I know some people were circumnavigating the system and just nipping over to the next queue but I'm well behaved and wouldn't do that. :D

There was a lot of downtime and it would have been lovely to have some screenings in the main hall. I was really disappointed that Adam and Amber's offer of a screening of Drones was not accepted but , even if that hadn't been possible, it would have been great to have Charisma's episode of SPN or some Merlin or some old Buffy eps running so that people could chill and watch.

The hotel was most peculiar! Like a nightmare in an interior design warehouse! Whoever did the decor / chose the artwork should have been properly shot :P but the staff seemed friendly and it worked fine as a venue. I liked having water available at the parties.

Wasn't so keen on the band. Not my type of music. Now had you flown Eric Kufs over you could have had a Common Rotation gig and that would have been fantastic.

So , it was a good, fun weekend but with just a tad more going on during signings and other downtime it could have been fantastic.

This was my third Hallowhedon and it's becoming an annual ritual for me so I'm looking forward to finding out who the guests for 2012 are :(

There was a reminder given out about collecting photos (and also the group photo for Silver/Gold). I think it was before or after the talk with Charisma and Phina.

ah well, that's why I would have missed it then as I went straight from quiz to find out who'd won the Amber guest encounter :) and it was ME!!!! :P

Nearly missed out on collecting the group photo as I didn't know it was for silvers' too. Good job I asked though what on earth kind of pose is Tony doing in it? Very funny.

The queue system for the autographs wasn't as smooth as usual. I know the numbers were lower but it really does work having autos called by ticket numbers and it was irksome to queue, get one autograph then have to go out of the room and join the end of the main queue to get back in for your next one. I know some people were circumnavigating the system and just nipping over to the next queue but I'm well behaved and wouldn't do that. :P

I see what you mean but with the numbers it wasn't too bad I thought. After getting an auto from Phina first thing Sunday I did ask if I could just join Ambers' queue or whether I needed to go back out to the main queue and was told it was fine just to join so if anyone saw that and had an issue I'm sorry but I did check.

There was a lot of downtime and it would have been lovely to have some screenings in the main hall. I was really disappointed that Adam and Amber's offer of a screening of Drones was not accepted but , even if that hadn't been possible, it would have been great to have Charisma's episode of SPN or some Merlin or some old Buffy eps running so that people could chill and watch.

Would have been good for something like that to happen but I didn't actually find I had all that much time, or maybe I just enjoyed the more relaxed pace and got chatting with quite a few people which passed the time. Was great being able to pop back to my room to drop stuff off in those down times too and not have to carry everything around all day but appreciate not everyone was staying at the hotel.

I suppose if there'd been one or two more guests there would have been more to do and less hanging around but I didn't find it a problem at all. Gave me time to chat to some new people.

The hotel was most peculiar! Like a nightmare in an interior design warehouse!

i was in a discussion comparing it to that recent Dr Who episode where your worst fear is in each room. I got very lost trying to find my room until I realised there was another lift closer than the one I'd been directed too. Doh! Was fine after that.

Wasn't so keen on the band. Not my type of music.

Not entirely my thing either but they had great energy and I love live music with loud guitars so worked ok for me but I think having a band doing covers rather than own material would have been a lot better.

But all relatively minor points for me. For my first time it was awesome and I'm sure it won't be my last.

Just wanted to say how great my weekend was until Phina Oruche rained on my parade.

She admitted she was outspoken on stage but that is an understatement. When I asked for her autograph to be used for tattoo purposes she done it no problem but then said to me very dismissively and rudely that she thought I was a lunatic. No joke no smile just plain rude. I was so shocked i just walked away but I would just like to say that it goes without saying that we have to be nice to the guests, who wouldn't want to be, everyone I have met so far has been awesome, I just wish that particular guest paid the same courtesy to me. She upset me very much and made me cry and I wanted to go back and throw the autogtraph back in her face (I can't help thinking like that as I have asperger's syndrome). Needless to say that will be one autograph I will not be getting tattooed as it is now in the bin. A bit of advice for Phina, if you don't know someone how can you possibly comment on their lifestyle and thank you for ruining my weekend!!!!

So ME maybe you could advise future guests to think before they speak.

Other than that I look forward to Hallowhedon 4. You guys are awesome. Cough Cough, rant over.

My Verdict

I have been lots of conventions over the years (I think This was my 8th) Although I haven't ben one for a long time and have never been to a hallowhedon or showmasters event

Overall I was massively impressed. I loved the size of it, a lot smaller than all the ones I used to go to. Which was really nice

I would have to agree with some of the above points though, again, certainly not gripes, just small things

I was very surprised that getting autographs wasn't called out in numbers. I am definitely not complaining, got there early and by just after 10 0'clock saturday I had autographs from all the guests that were there, so worked out really well

As mentioned above I think It would be a great idea to screen things in the main room in the morning, if you do get your autographs early like that, and you aren't getting many photos, there is a lot of free time Saturday and Sunday morning to fill, would of been great just to show some Buffy eps or anything really. I was surprised by the lack of info given in the main hall, but I guess thats just because thats how I am used to cons being run, really there was no need as everything was easy to find and seemed to be running well

Personally I loved the hotel, Overpriced for drinks (Especially spirits so good idea to stick to beer) but thought the service was great, and I thought the decor was interesting, a lot nicer than some of the other s***holes used for cons

The group photo for £25 was a great idea, and judging by the amount of people who seemed to go or it I would say it went down really well

I think the attendees were really nice aswell, I mean the generally are a good bunch at these cons, but I found more than ever you could pretty much talk to anyone and have a great time. All the crew for the event seemed great, Anyone I asked a question they seemed to be well informed and know what they were doing

Lastly the guests

This is what i personally loved most about the convention...

Amber Benson was the first person from Buffy I met over 10 years ago, so great to see her again after a long time. Also Tony and Charisma were at the first convention I went to, so it was like going full circle, great to see these guests I met 10 years ago, Charisma certainly hasn't mellowed with age haha, but she makes a great guest, very fiesty and Interesting. Tony was brilliant as always, and Amber has so much energy and is so funny that you could watch her all day. I was really impressed with Adam aswell. I was sure I had met him before for some reason, but checking through all my autographs I don't have his, so I have the feeling he may have had to cancel a con at some point. But I found him really passionate, deep and interesting to listen to. Also he was so nice in the signings taking time to shake everyones hand, genuinely one of the best guests I've seen. Phina was also really nice and had a great chat to her about our journey down from the north west as we both pretty much encountered the same problems

all in all great event and if they do manage to get a few guests I haven't seen before, I would love to go again next year

No major complaints. I thought it was another well-run ME convention and I'm looking forward to the next one.

What I would say is that the queueing system needs sorted out for the next time. The area outside the signing room got very congested with a queue for autographs, a queue for photographs, people looking at Giles' photos and other people just trying to access the dealers' room and atrium. There was a large open area just around the corner in the atrium that was used on Saturday but ignored on Sunday, and perhaps there are others spaces that could be better utilised.

Positive

The Hotel - The location was perfect for food, travel and comfort, The hotel itself was sooo much better then where it had being held the last two times, aside from the rooms like the hall seemed slightly smaller, but on a whole, such a better location!

The Guest - I had met 3 of 5 of guests so i went there slightly disaspointed with the line up, and came back SO thankful for having them. Adam and Amber were my highlight for a mile, but all of the guests that were there, were sensational! friendly, fun and seemed to genuinly wanna spend it with us!

The Crew - I never really have a complaint about the crew but the group you had for this were fab (missed roxy and shabz :() but everyone was super helpful and friendly, answered any question thrown at them and helped with having 3 of us on silver and a kid on stander! top notch work!

The Lighting/stage - Ok, this is a random feedback but i LOVE how u set up the stage and the lighting, it makes it possible to see and hear the guests from anywhere in the hall, and i think its fab!

Negatives

Dealers Room - Ok not so much as a negative, but personaly i didnt think it seemed as good as the last two events, there seemed to be a bigger room but with less of a selection of things which were slightly disapointing, but still good.

I think thats all! All in all, it was a fab weekend! i was very happy to hear there will be a Hallowhedon 4! and im going to wait till a guest or two is announced but will more then liekly be there!!!! :) Thanks!

Positive

The Lighting/stage - Ok, this is a random feedback but i LOVE how u set up the stage and the lighting, it makes it possible to see and hear the guests from anywhere in the hall, and i think its fab!

Thought the stage set up was great. Good views, nice and clear sound, at least where I was. Suitable for the band on sat night too. Only issue was with the bright lights right in the eyes of the guests which they sometimes found uncomfortable.

Make them dimmable at least, no need to be full on, even for the camera surely. Or better still, have them slightly off to the side and coming in at more of an angle.

Negatives

Dealers Room - Ok not so much as a negative, but personaly i didnt think it seemed as good as the last two events, there seemed to be a bigger room but with less of a selection of things which were slightly disapointing, but still good.

Not being one for buying lots, it seemed ok for me and I had a good look round a few times. Loved the selection of photos the one guy had. Came in really useful as although I had brought some of my own stuff to get signed, I still picked up some from him which I prefered to the ones in the registration pack.

Appreciate if you are into buying collectibles etc it maybe wasn't enough but given what I'm told is lower than normal numbers, maybe that's all that was really needed.

Anyway, if that was the first time that hotel had been used for this there's bound to be one or two niggles but nothing that seemed to cause any great concern or issue. Personally I thought it was great and if there were any behind the scenes issues, it certainly wasn't apparent.

Really shocked about what vampirellie just wrote. I'm really sorry Phina made you cry and feel so bad. She also made me a little uncomfortable during the shoot. I asked her if we could put our finger on our mouth, in reference to Hush, I thought she would like it, that I remembered and liked one of her episodes and stuff, and she looked at me like "hummm I don't like your idea" but she did it anyway. I felt really bad, I thought she was going to say "NO" in front of everyone. But that's it for me, besides that all the guests were super nice: Amber was the sweetest, so funny, nice, down to earth and open to any question. Best guest ever. Adam was also incredible, really nice and funny, and I enjoyed his talks. Anthony, well, no need to say how awesome he was. Charisma was also a nice guest, she doesn't make you feel as comfortable as the others, but she's really nice and honest.

The organisation was good, and so were the decorations, you did a great work. The free water was a plus. I really enjoyed the music, and the hotel was a really nice place to spend some time in.

A little disappointed that the guests left so bruptly, they didn't really said goodbye on stage, so I didn't know if it was over or not. But this is just a small detail.

And thank you so much for this "intimate encounters" thing. I was silver and very disappointed I couldn't talk to Amber, and when I won the bidding, it made my day. I mean it, this was the highlight of my weekend, so thank you so much for that.

I think that's pretty much it. See you next year!!! :)

Edited by frenchwhedonist

Just wanted to say how great my weekend was until Phina Oruche rained on my parade.

She admitted she was outspoken on stage but that is an understatement. When I asked for her autograph to be used for tattoo purposes she done it no problem but then said to me very dismissively and rudely that she thought I was a lunatic. No joke no smile just plain rude. I was so shocked i just walked away but I would just like to say that it goes without saying that we have to be nice to the guests, who wouldn't want to be, everyone I have met so far has been awesome, I just wish that particular guest paid the same courtesy to me. She upset me very much and made me cry and I wanted to go back and throw the autogtraph back in her face (I can't help thinking like that as I have asperger's syndrome). Needless to say that will be one autograph I will not be getting tattooed as it is now in the bin. A bit of advice for Phina, if you don't know someone how can you possibly comment on their lifestyle and thank you for ruining my weekend!!!!

So ME maybe you could advise future guests to think before they speak.

Other than that I look forward to Hallowhedon 4. You guys are awesome. Cough Cough, rant over.

Oh wow that is horrible, im so sorry she put your though that, personaly i think your tattoo's are awsome and hell if i ever met SMG, i would so get her to sign me so i cant get it autoed!

And thank you so much for this "intimate encounters" thing. I was silver and very disappointed I couldn't talk to Amber, and when I won the bidding, it made my day. I mean it, this was the highlight of my weekend, so thank you so much for that.

I'm really glad you got that opportunity. I know how much it would have meant to you. And it was lovely to meet you.

It would have been nice if the rooms were signed posted as on the Friday and Saturday morning there were a lot of people unsure about where to go for things. The parties were pretty quiet and finished early on all nights. I think there needed to be something more going on in order to encourage people to go to the parties. It's a shame that there was no screening this year.

I found the autographs queues easy to work out, I was expecting the queues for Anthony and Phina to be long, but they weren't too bad and the crew there kept them moving. The guests were great, and I loved the talks that I went to. I really enjoyed going to the guest encounters as well. The group shot was a great addition at a great price.

I was silver and very disappointed I couldn't talk to Amber
Did you not speak to her when you went up for your autograph?

I did! But it only lasted a minute as I didn't want the people behind me to wait for too long so I felt like I had to be really quick, so getting 40mn with her and a bunch of really nice people really was a plus :)

It was really nice to meet you too yellowmarlin :)

Edited by frenchwhedonist

I was silver and very disappointed I couldn't talk to Amber
Did you not speak to her when you went up for your autograph?

I did! But it only lasted a minute as I didn't want the people behind me to wait for too long so I felt like I had to be really quick, so getting 40mn with her and a bunch of really nice people really was a plus :)

It was really nice to meet you too yellowmarlin :)

Don't worry, I never take up much time either, except when it's David Blue of course who just won't stop talking lol! I'm happy to just ask a question or say something about their work, exchange a few words and move on. Sometimes you get into a brief discussion but I don't want to hold the queue up and that's a pleasurable enough experience for me. At least you've been acknowledged and had some interaction.

However, as you say, getting all that time with Amber at the encounter was just something else. Totally amazing. Don't know what the others were like but I'm glad I won hers at least. Well worth it.

oh yeah, the other negative thing was that I couldn't figure out how to (or even if you could) turn off the subtitles on the TV in my room. Didn't watch it enough to make it worthwhile asking anyone but it really bugged me at first.

Yes I know thats nothing to do with SM or ME, I can't really think of anything negative to say about the event itself and didn't want to feel left out.

I had a wonderful weekend and am so sad it is over.

The only complaint I have is that Charisma's guest encounter on Sunday was cancelled, as I had put in a bid that would have been enough, but not enough people also bid :P. Also it would have been great to have Common Rotation playing, that band was quite good, but no Common Rotation.

Some suggestions for next year:

Do a live episode commentary like Anthony Head & Robin Sachs did last year, that was a brilliant idea, the best any con had in years.

That bucking spider was good, but I think a bouncy castle like there used to be at the MK parties would be good.

Other than that. It was great. Happy Halloween everyone :whistling:

My only complaint was that I couldn't hear what Charisma was saying in the talks on Sunday as she wasn't holding the microphone.

That was a bit odd. Luckily I was close enough that I could mostly but I don't know why she didn't hold the mic.

Maybe some kind of clip-on mic might be considered in future.

Thank you frenchwhedonist and sazzzy for your comments up until I read them i felt like a bit of a lunatic lol. Apart from that one incident i had an awesome weekend and hope to see everyone again next year. It seems like everyone really enjoyed themselves so congrats SM on a job well done.

My only complaint was that I couldn't hear what Charisma was saying in the talks on Sunday as she wasn't holding the microphone.

that really frustrated me too, I was just surprised they didn't tell her, but you would think she would know to hold the microphone to her mouth, but they made a point of telling the audience at one point how to use a microphone maybe it should of extended to the guests aswell haha