Feedback thread

CosmicAvatar

Had a brilliant weekend as usual.

THe guests were all amazing, i just love how feisty Charisma is but she was lovely to talk to and in the photos as well and all in good humour (wish she'd been told to pick the mic up on sunday tho as it was a good talk). Amber never changes still a true sweetie and love that she sang under your spell. Adam was a sweetie too waving at everyone and being so enthusiastic in the autos. Tony well he is a legend such a shame he couldnt stay saturday night but was as much fun as always. Phina I have to say i really liked her, she was telling us she thought she should dress for photos and make an effort and it was disrespectful to fans if you looked scruffy when they were paying, hats off that was nice. She was also super cool in the autos, typical liverpudlian and i thought her & charisma were great together.

Hotel well been there a few times this year and was a little apprehensive, they messed up our booking and gave us a double instead of a triple, security could be still a little heavy handed, we were told by someone on our bedroom floor not to speak or make a sound walking down to our room, i dont think so when i am a paying guest. He was looking after someone in that wedding party i think even so..?.Getting better though and much prefer being upstairs to the room off the reception.

Organisation needs to be better pre-con with visible staff on line at all times and at least 4 guests in place by the summer to sell tickets, plus party themes earlier - everyone i spoke to this weekend agreed with that its so late and its meaning some people are just not booking. In this financial climate people are not booking on reputation alone and we all want to help sell as many tickets as possible as we do love these cons so that does need looking at.Auto and photo queues a little chaotic, nobody was shouting out in the auto hall when photos were about to end which they should have been as sure some people missed them. Also the 2 queues did merge into one outside so was a bit confusing at times.

We had a great weekend thanks to all at ME for the hard work, great parties too think we got a lot of newbies doing the con dances by sunday night, thanks to Malcolm and Giles for the nice photos too. Will be booking soon for 2012 when we recover.!

Edited by buffy2k

• Showmasters Admin

I agree the queuing for autographs and photo shoots could have been better, it was far from terrible but it wasn't up to our usual very officiant standards. For that sorry.

The "no groups" system and autograph queues would have worked fine if the room had been just 10-20 feet longer. As it was we ended up with having some people queuing in the corridor and that wasn't great.

We tried to make sure the photo queues stayed out of the way by splitting it and moving it onto the atrium which worked well, but that first couple of hours of queue merging, again I agree wasn't great.

It was the first time we've used the Rad for an ME event and so it's all a learning curve. We'll have it sorted for next time.

I think the biggest thing that seperates SM/ME shows from all the others is we LISTEN. We then keep the great things and make the not so great things better, we never accept "It was alright".

at least 4 guests in place by the summer to sell tickets,
If it was as easy as that then ME would, as they are well aware that guests sell tickets.

However various factors prevent that from happening and having a certain number of guests in place by 'x' amount of months prior to an event can never be guaranteed. A lot of guests simply won't commit to something that far in advance. While other guests may not be available by that point, however they then may become available much clsoer to the date of the event.

Had a fantastic weekend overall.

- The hotel was far better than the Thistle. The staff actually seemed to be happy to see us and the breakfast didn't make me ill all weekend this year, which was a plus. Loved the random fish pond outside the photograph room!

- Everything ran as smoothly as always.

Downsides:

-More audience participation would have been good during the quiz - the guests seemed to have the impression that we weren't allowed to join in, but last year we all got involved.

-It would be good to have an auction catalogue, so we know what kind of things to expect. I found myself once again failing to bid for items I was interested in just in case something better came up a little later on.

Quick question - were we ever told what to do with our wordsearch/crossword sheets? The winners were announced and the group I was with hadn't heard a thing about when or where to hand them in. Maybe we missed the announcement?

I agree that more guests sooner would be a good thing, i havent booked for HW4 yet because im waiting for the first guests/couple of guests to be announced.. as this is usualy the selling point for most. But i also understand its not the EASIEST thing to do for a company. So im just hoping the first guests is a wower and i will wanna buy :D

Quick question - were we ever told what to do with our wordsearch/crossword sheets? The winners were announced and the group I was with hadn't heard a thing about when or where to hand them in. Maybe we missed the announcement?

I never heard anything about the wordsearch thing either

I didnt hear either, i think it was just at the reg desk tho..

Was it not mentioned during the opening ceremony? I wasn't there.

I am guessing that they probably should have been handed in at the registration desk by a certain time. I didn't ask (I would have done that at the reg desk as it also serves as a info desk to a degree) though as I didn't do the crossword/etc.

It was. Chimmykins told me, but I've no idea how she found out.

We had a great weekend as always so thanks guys for all your efforts.

As a few others have already mentioned, we found the autograph system a bit confusing and kept finding ourselves unsure if we were in the right queue or where we were supposed to be going - I know the hall wasn't the biggest so space was limited, but some signs or a bit more guidance would have been helpful. Not that we had any trouble getting to see anyone, just that we had to keep turning to pester the person behind us and ask what queue we were in :D

The drinks at the parties were also ridiculously expensive, £4 for an orange juice! I don't know if SM have any control over this sort of thing at all but it did make us a bit wary about how much we were spending at the parties, which is a bit of a shame really. The choice of drink was also very limited.

Lastly, as a request for next year - please could we have some 'games' and the like at the parties? Similar to the saloon bar thing on Friday - that was fab. Not everyone likes or are physically able to get out on the floor so it's nice to have some other things around to play with!

Overall though it was a fab weekend - the hotel was lovely, very friendly, and the rooms were very nice and the staff very helpful. A bulb went in my bathroom and tripped all the lights in my room off but someone was there within ten minutes to sort it out so very happy with that.

Roll on HW4!

Drinks will always be expensive in these hotels as they are 4* even if subsidised . I think most people tend to take their own drink to cons for this reason, i wasnt sure how the Rad would take this but they didn't seem to mind. Everyone went to McDonalds or the Pheasant for food as its not really con food in the Brasserie there. I think we promised to email a list of con dates to the landlady so she knows when she was being descended upon for the weekend as nobody told them they were the official con pub.

Wonder if we could have whiteboard maybe outside the photo q so you could tell who you were queuing for as sometimes there were 2 sets of queues as some were going early for the next shoot? just a thought.

Edited by buffy2k

It was. Chimmykins told me, but I've no idea how she found out.

At Bitten & ET7 you had to hand them in to the reg desk by midday Sunday, so I assumed it was the same. Can't recall it being specifically said though.

Will leave proper feedback when I'm at home but even with limited space to queue, I thought the people handling the queues outside - photo queue & let people in the auto room queue did so very well considering lack of space etc.

Edited by chimmykins

I agree the queuing for autographs and photo shoots could have been better, it was far from terrible but it wasn't up to our usual very officiant standards. For that sorry.

Far from terrible and also very clear that the system was constantly being tweaked during the weekend to try and improve it.

To be honest I was happy to just hang around, chat to people and wait to be called through if I wasn't already in a queue. All worked well for me but it's great that you quickly recognised the issues and were fast to make the changes.

It was the first time we've used the Rad for an ME event and so it's all a learning curve. We'll have it sorted for next time.

Didn't know that. Well that makes it even more impressive that it ran so smoothly and shows you're on the ball.

Being my first weekend con I have nothing to compare to other than the likes of LFCC/CM/EMS etc but thought it all worked really well.

I think the biggest thing that seperates SM/ME shows from all the others is we LISTEN. We then keep the great things and make the not so great things better, we never accept "It was alright".

With you on that. Every time I had to ask a crew member about something (which wasn't often) I got an immediate and helpful answer. Everyone seemed to be working from the same page and knew what was going on.

First I have to say that it was my first massive events con. And I really enjoyed it.

I liked the hotel, the price for the room was okay. My room was really nice.

I love the shirt and the mug that gold ticket people got and of course the Emma Caulfield autograph which I found inside my envelope. That was a nice surprise.

The halloween decoration was awesome but it was a little too dark inside the room imo. I enjoyed the parties.

After Sean cancelled I was a little (okay very) disappointed, but Anthony Head was a great last minute surprise.

The photos turned out really nice and the prices for autographs and photos are really fan friendly. Cons are a luxury for most fans and it is nice that you can buy pics (or have them included in your ticket) for a fair price.

The friday evening meeting with the actresses would have been better if the groups would have been a little smaller, our table was pretty crowded and you had problems understanding them.

A big "thank you" to the organizers and the staff who was always very friendly and never bugged out by questions.

I had an awesome time. I was a little nervous when I got to the meet and greet but Amber and Charisma really put me at ease and I got super confident from then on.

I do think it could be sign posted better but I soon got used to knowing where everything was. It would be nice to have more snacks available as well as the free water. The jelly sweets didn't look vegetarian so I didn't have any.

I haven't really got any complaints except it would be nice if conventions were more in the middle of the country so it's pretty much equal distance for all the UK-ers.

Thank you Showmasters :lol:

firstly many thanks to massive events for what was a great first con with you guys! also apologies if my feedback has already been discussed but I'm eager lol!

Generally I, and the people I went with, thought it was incredibly organised and efficient and the staff were very friendly.

I feel that if the attendance had been much higher, there would have been a bit of hassle for everyone to line up for autos and photos in the area we were. On the flip side of this, I think that opening up the main hall during morning sessions for a place to wait, chat with friends or perhaps have screenings of episodes would be a nice idea (tidying up from parties allowed of course, although getting us all to help would be a nice bonus for you guys im sure!).

I understand that viewing rights would be tricky here, but in situations like we had where amber and adam were willing to show us their new movie, we could have had it screened during morning sessions. This would also give the oppertunity for updates to be displayed on screen for when new group numbers are allowed to queue for various opertunities (which would keep the queing and steward questioning to a minimum) and to give general info about the con like the cross word sheet for example, or adverts for other events!

Taking into concideration that there were other events going on around london this weekend, it still would have been nice to have a bit more of a dealers room, again for something to do while waiting for the chance to get auto's and photos.

the parties were brill, and the effort put into theming the main hall was very much appreciated and a great addition.

the only other thing (which is kind of guest dependant) is to have more group talks rather than individuals. While guests like amber and adam were very confident on stage by themselves, i think a greater chemistry was made by having at least 2 on stage at a time as they could play off each other. as a result i think the group talk on sunday was probably the most enjoyable of them all!

I agree the drinks were expensive but that seems to be a fault of the hotel rather than the organisers, although we never had any hassle bringing in our own in bottles for those of you who didn't find the co-op garage down the road!

Thats pretty much all the stuff I can think of. It was a great weekend and I look forward to coming to another Massive Events weekender soon

*cough* do a dexter and walking dead one *end cough* :D

Thanks dudes!

Last year Anthony Head and Robin Sachs did a live commentary for the episode Band Candy. This was the best idea any convention had for years! I was dissapointed this didn't happen this year, but there may be a reason.

If possible to do this for Hallowhedon 4 it would be great.

Last year Anthony Head and Robin Sachs did a live commentary for the episode Band Candy. This was the best idea any convention had for years!

Not years, as Hub 4 had a successful episode screening with live guest commentary a few months prior to HW2 :D

It would be nice to see the feature again.

Funny, 'cause NOT listening to us is actually my only minus-point on this event.

Seriously, HOW MANY PEOPLE DOES IT TAKE to convince you guys that a screening of Drones is prefered by a quiz (which was only fun for the people onstage anyway ;)). I actually assumed we were going to see Drones anyway, since there were screenings on the first two Hallowhedons and

But. Besides missing Drones. Epic weekend... it really is a highlight in my year. I don't think I can EVER thank you guys enough for giving me the oppurtunity to meet stars of my favorite TV-show. Really, really thank you.

• Showmasters Admin

Funny, 'cause NOT listening to us is actually my only minus-point on this event.

We do listen, sometimes things can't be instantaneous though ;) I'll be making sure we look at having a commentary at HW4.

We do listen, sometimes things can't be instantaneous though :P I'll be making sure we look at having a commentary at HW4.

;)

We do listen, sometimes things can't be instantaneous though :P I'll be making sure we look at having a commentary at HW4.

;)

Being my first ME event I enjoyed the quiz, especially with Charisma taking it so seriously. More input from audience would have been good but a screening of something with live commentary sounds awesome. Happy with whatever you decide.

We had a fabulous time again (our third year) and we do appreciate all of the hard work put into these events.

The hotel was a much better venue. The staff were great, and the guests were very good. The parties were fun, but the drinks bar was limited in choice and my daughter paid £4 for a fruit juice for me. Kinda expensive… The shoot-out thing on Friday was fun and perfect for those of us who aren’t as active as we used to be, so more extra things to do would be nice, please.

I understand the hall was a little smaller than previously and lots had to be packed into it, but the seats were ridiculously close together, and we heard nearly everyone complain about them. Sitting squashed together for such long periods is uncomfortable and distracts from the events.