Do you prefer Massive Events to do focused cons

dufresne

Bit annoyed that Return To Middle Earth will now include another franchise that I haven't seen and don't care about, so I'm curious what people think. I know sometimes it's financially necessary to combine fanbases, but I'd rather either go to LFCC with a bit of everything, or The Hub, with TW and only TW. A weekend con covering more than one fanbase surely means that neither gets given 100% ? Historically, split cons don't work. Abrahams Inc, the Being Human one ....

I think the Hallowhedon one works as it's all by the same person, but other than that I would say that normally it's better to stick with one theme.

My problem with Massive Events is the lack of updates for the conventions, while the signing events get plenty of updates

Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are 2 franchises that naturally go together, given they have similar types of epic stories, obviously both based on book series, both are set in other worlds, have mystical and magical beings etc etc (and yes I realise that to hardcore Tolkeinites this is probably considered blasphemy). You say that Game of Thrones is not for you, but you also say you haven't seen it. I managed to convince quite a few friends to watch it who were steadfastly not interested in seeing it, it just wasn't their "thing" but who were immediately hooked and now can't wait for season 2. If you are a LOTR fan I would heartily recommend at least giving it a try.

Regarding your more general question of whether shows should be mixed, I think it very much depends on what it's for. I was booked for Abrams Inc but had only seen Lost but it didnt put me off wanting to go. Sometimes if you are only interested in one of the shows it can introduce you to another show you may not have seen before. I've been to other conventions that were mixed and where I was only there for one of the shows and didn't know who the other guests were, but I still had a fantastic time and enjoyed listening to the talks of the other guests regardless. Ok some show-specific things went way over my head, but the more general questions were still entertaining.

Some shows simply don't have a big enough or established enough fanbase to warrant a convention on their own. There may be a small and vocal fanbase but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're a convention-going fanbase or a fanbase that's even aware of conventions. By combining shows in a single convention it's a way of testing the waters to see if these are fanbases that WILL, then as was posted if it's successful they can be split into their own dedicated events. Not every show that people love can raise 300+ attendees, not every show is another Buffy, or Doctor Who or Torchwood.

Edited by jael001

Bit annoyed that Return To Middle Earth will now include another franchise that I haven't seen and don't care about, so I'm curious what people think. I know sometimes it's financially necessary to combine fanbases, but I'd rather either go to LFCC with a bit of everything, or The Hub, with TW and only TW. A weekend con covering more than one fanbase surely means that neither gets given 100% ? Historically, split cons don't work. Abrahams Inc, the Being Human one ....

I agree, I hate mixed cons especially when you want to go but are not interested in one of the shows. I had the same problem with RoadHouse 2. I love Supernatural and Being Human but hate Vampire Diaries so I didn't get a ticket.

Torchwood and Dr Who naturally go together but its been great having Hub cons with guests from one show.

As regard to Return to Middle Earth - I don't like Game of Thrones so I won't be getting a ticket.

• Moderators

Game Of Thrones really shouldn't be thrown in with Merlin and Harry Potter.

As for whether I prefer focused or mixed? Depends what the mix is really. If it's two of my favourite shows then I'd have no problem with it, but of course if it's one I either don't like or not too bothered by, then it certainly makes me think twice about attending.

I do think mixed cons are harder to sell, but I can understand the necessity.

I think the Hallowhedon one works as it's all by the same person, but other than that I would say that normally it's better to stick with one theme.

My problem with Massive Events is the lack of updates for the conventions, while the signing events get plenty of updates

But there's the inherent problem - signing events have no theme/franchise so have an almost unlimited pool of potential guests whilst weekend cons focusing on one show have a finite number of possible guests even if there are loads of series. The weekend ones will only ever have a certain amount of announcements/updates, signing events could have any number. Personally I prefer the weekend cons (and would argue that multi fandom cons haven't worked as well here, I don't think they can be written off entirely) and am prepared to accept the perceived and proportional lack of updates

I think it depends but generally I'd say I prefer them to be focused on one show (or franchise).

Chevron includes all Stargates but most Stargate fans like all three shows, or at least two of them so they work when combined.

The ones with the big mixes so far haven't really been for me though. I think Hallowhedon had some Firefly guests that I'd like to have met but I wasn't really interested in the other guests.

If I was attending the Return to Middle Earth I'd probably not be that happy about having Game of Thrones guests (I watch it but not really interested in meeting the actors from it).

Chevron 7.8 has had a Sanctuary guest announced which I find a bit odd, but as a big fan of Sanctuary I'm fine with it, though others may not be.

Put me in the list of people who would rather just have it focused on one franchise. The thing i've never really liked about ME cons(and i know there are reasons for it) is the limited number of guests. I would generally never pay that kind of money to attend a con with 4 or 5 guests. Unfortunately i've had to do it in the past just to meet one or two people i've wanted to meet, and will have to again, just to meet Amanda Tapping. So when the idea of a Lost con was thrown away, and it was merged with other shows I had no interest in, I couldnt afford to go, even though the 1 guest that was announced was great. I was to-ing and fro-ing about Return to Middle Earth as it was, because it would probably only have 4-6 guests, but if it is now going to have at least 1 or 2 guests that aren't even from LOTR, it makes it of even less interest to me

But there's the inherent problem - signing events have no theme/franchise so have an almost unlimited pool of potential guests whilst weekend cons focusing on one show have a finite number of possible guests even if there are loads of series. The weekend ones will only ever have a certain amount of announcements/updates, signing events could have any number. Personally I prefer the weekend cons (and would argue that multi fandom cons haven't worked as well here, I don't think they can be written off entirely) and am prepared to accept the perceived and proportional lack of updates

I get that but with Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse and Dr Horrible that a wide pool of guests to choose from.

There's been 10 main characters in Buffy (not including Angel and Cordelia), 6 in Angel (not including Doyle and Lorne for obvious reasons), 9 in Firefly, 7 in Dollhouse, that's 32 to begin with now I know that a lot of them will be busy or cost too much, but given how many regulars and guest stars there are as well, I think there could easily be over 100 people for ME to try to get to the con. So far they have 3 with 4 weeks to go, to me this is a problem with their organization if at this late stage they have not got things all ready in place for the weekend.

(Those figures may not be completely accurate as I was doing it off the top of my head!)

Personally, I prefer focused events. Although saying that I'm planning on going to Chevron 7.8 and like someone else said there is a Sanctuary guest but I don't mind because I watch Sanctuary and the actor is hilarious anyway.

However, previously I've only ever attended events that focused purely on one show, mainly because I'd rather spend my limited money on something I'm really into the fandom of than lots of various shows and guests.

Edited by Ophelia