removing sharpie pen from an 8x10

surfy_sah

along time ago in 2005/6, I met Denise Crosby aka Tasha Yar in Star Trek: The Next Generation at Collectormania 6 and she personalised my cast shot to me, but she wrote my name all the way up Wesley Crusher! :o I finally have a chance to meet Will Weaton and no where is no space for him to sign :(

I really need to remove this personalisation so he can sign my cast shot! I've been advised to use acetone nail varnish on a recent auto signed incorrectly by a guest but that sharpie is silver and was only done like last weekend! this is black and has literally been on there since 2005/6 :WINCE:

also I'm a bit worried if I use acetone and then I get to re-signed that it might end up ruining my cast shot, which has several signetures on :help:

please advise! I leave for Chicago next Weds so have to sort this out smartish!

thanks in advance!

surfy sah xx

*photo of auto to follow*

The guests who told you that left out a very important part... it is acetone free nail polish remover that some people use. Acetone based will at the least kill the glossy, if not worse.

The dry erase marker is something US friends of mine swear on, haven't tried it myself.

I have just tried a test run with black sharpie on glossy shot and acetone free nail polished remover worked fine.

But I am really not sure if I would risk it on an over 5 year old multisigned piece.

Hairspray works well, but its a trickly procedure to implement. Sort of need a bit of cotton wool soaked in spray then just wipe it across the area in one go. Avoiding the bits you don't want to loose!

I've done that on things a few years old. Some with better sucess than others. Depends on the background.

But yeah, its risky.

If you are going to try anything, practice on a dummy first - get a similar finish unsigned picture and make some appropriate marks with a sharpie on it. OK, you can't get the "five year aged" bit (but half an hour in a low oven - say 80-100C might help replicate the hardening), but you can at least check that whatever solvent you use doesn't wreck your photo, and if there's anything like smear etc you need to worry about. You can also then try writing on that area again to make sure that the new signature will "take".

I'd try a dry erase marker. Just scribble over what you want removed and, using a soft tissue, remove the dry erase - this should hopefully take the personalisation away with it. I've used this method on a few different items with a pretty good success rate.

I'd try a dry erase marker. Just scribble over what you want removed and, using a soft tissue, remove the dry erase - this should hopefully take the personalisation away with it. I've used this method on a few different items with a pretty good success rate.

A lot of people i know are now using this method particularly good for when you have got smudges on your item , have used it myself and it does work just not sure about it working on an 'older' piece.

hey everyone! thanks soo much for all your replies :D seems the best thing may be to try the dry erase marker thingy, do they sell them videly in the US? after Chicago I head to Seattle and then Vancouver before Atlanta and Orlando (wahooo!) I know my way round Seattle and Vancouver very well so if there's any suggestions as to a chain store that may sell them, I could go a-hunting there. Thankfully, I don't need to have fixed this until Atlanta, phew! glad I didn't buy nail varnish remover!

seems I was talking crap last time I posted (and I can't even blame the hour!!!) I've got the cast shot and it is signed in silver yey! so hopefully this will make it come off easier ;) the other sigs are Gates, Brent and Levar so wouldn't be tooo hard to get them again, if it all goes wrong, but as it has got £75 worth of autos on it, let's be careful...! B)

thanks again!

surfy sah xx

ps-no pic yet as I forgot you can only link images and that you can't load them on to the post, doh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I met Gerry Anderson a week ago, and somehow, by mistake, he wrote F.B.B. (instead of F.A.B.) on the end of my autograph. I was gutted about this at the time and the more I think about it the more I think I want to try and remove it. It just looks stupid and I think it would make me so much happier with it if it simply wasn't there. I thought I remembered this thread existing so searched for it and here I am. Not sure which to try first, thinking I'll go dry erase marker, that is if I can find one lying about...